ImageImageImage

NBA Draft Thread 2023

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,998

Re: NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#1401 » by IceColdCubano » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:07 pm

twix2500 wrote:Heat signs USC 6'8 forward Drew Peterson

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

An Undrafted sleeper right there looks like a taller Duncan, but does other things better like his post up game.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,170

Post#1402 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:08 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
FinNasty wrote:Everyone outside of this message board loves this pick for us lol…

So I liked the pick last night, but not in love.

So I spent all morning here, drinking coffee and going through the analytics and game tape. I am starting to really see what Miami Heat saw in this guy.

1. Dude shot near 40% from three in sophomore year, I looked at what was different, his team had from a talent standpoint was the best in regards to scoring, his Senior year his team was top in defense at UCLA. He impressed in workouts with teams because his shooting, footwork, and post control are elite. He is near top of his position on open 3pointers vs Tightly Contested 3pointers, he took a lot of end of the shot clock three's to save possession as the teams leading scorer which hurt his percentages.

2. Kid is actually very strong and physical and has a very methodical way about carving up the other team down the middle, He provided a lot of catch and shoot opportunities for UCLA in his last year like top 5% percentile, however his team converted at averages so his assist were hurt slightly there.

3. Clutch numbers in withing five minutes on both Offense and Defense were absolutely elite, and only had 2 other players better than him.

4. Multiple conversations leading up to the draft from his coaches and peers, say he is way more athletic than given credit for. He proved it in the combine by having the 3rd best standing vert leap. Looking at game tape you can see he makes the right play, and not the flashy play so if it calls for a reverse layup or using glass he will instead of going for the flashy dunk. He also is very good on post defense and youll rarely see him leave his feet. Which is why you don't see the crazy highlights people want to see of players jumping out of the gym.

5. He doesn't force the play ever, and will make the right basketball play but is always in the center and doing something to help, even if its box out or leaking out.

6. Dude is literally a hispanic Jimmy Butler clone, except he has a way bigger upside on shooting from the outside, a really nice form.

Love this--thanks for sharing. He has great body control which is one of Jimmy's greatest traits and allows for the hesitations, pump fakes, paint footwork etc.

He's def not close to the athlete that Jimmy is--Jimmy literally has the athleticism of a NFL safety--but he's the middle class hispanic Jimmy Buckets lol. I can dig it.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,373

Post#1403 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:09 pm

ShulaDon92 wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
FinNasty wrote:Everyone outside of this message board loves this pick for us lol…

So I spent all morning here, drinking coffee and going through the analytics and game tape. I am starting to really see what Miami Heat saw in this guy.

1. Dude shot near 40% from three in sophomore year, I looked at what was different, his team had from a talent standpoint was the best in regards to scoring, his Senior year his team was top in defense at UCLA. He impressed in workouts with teams because his shooting, footwork, and post control are elite. He is near top of his position on open 3pointers vs Tightly Contested 3pointers, he took a lot of end of the shot clock three's to save possession as the teams leading scorer which hurt his percentages.

2. Kid is actually very strong and physical and has a very methodical way about carving up the other team down the middle, He provided a lot of catch and shoot opportunities for UCLA in his last year like top 5% percentile, however his team converted at averages so his assist were hurt slightly there.

3. Clutch numbers in withing five minutes on both Offense and Defense were absolutely elite, and only had 2 other players better than him.

4. Multiple conversations leading up to the draft from his coaches and peers, say he is way more athletic than given credit for. He proved it in the combine by having the 3rd best standing vert leap. Looking at game tape you can see he makes the right play, and not the flashy play so if it calls for a reverse layup or using glass he will instead of going for the flashy dunk. He also is very good on post defense and youll rarely see him leave his feet. Which is why you don't see the crazy highlights people want to see of players jumping out of the gym.

5. He doesn't force the play ever, and will make the right basketball play but is always in the center and doing something to help, even if its box out or leaking out.

6. Dude is literally a hispanic Jimmy Butler clone, except he has a way bigger upside on shooting from the outside, a really nice form.

Definitely that but did we need another Butler?

Jaquez could be the first Lorenzo Bird

-SHULA

Jaq can replace butler in the reg season games he’ll miss, and play those roles when he needs a blow. Will essentially play the positionless 3/4 with Martin
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,046

Post#1404 » by 3ballbomber » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:10 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
MorbidHEAT wrote:
I just don’t understand it. Our 2 best players are 2 point players. It seems like you should surround them with shooters. Doesn’t seem like we did that. We essentially added another player that will operate in the same areas as our 2 stars.

You got to look at it from this point of view:

Miami is scouting right their looking at a couple of things.

1. were does the player fit.
2. Can he improve something we already do.
3. does his weakness hurt us and are he is capable getting better at them.
4. how game ready is he to put him into our improvement program and will he improve quickly.
5. Is he a hard worker and team first guy.

1. Miami, has nobody that can do what they already do well from the starters, right now our best bench player is Caleb Martin if call him our 6th Man. Even Caleb Martin offense starts from the three point line on a dribble drive or pump fake. He has no in between game and neither does anybody else outside of a rare Lowry post up on another point guard. This is were JJ comes in, doing what Jimmy does but for our bench team.
2. Miami, is best with their inside out game break down the paint create easy opportunity's, then get open three pointers from paint collapse, exactly what JJ did in college night in night out.
3. He shot a low percentage from three ball, but thats not what will be asked of him. I already showed on a previous post that he is actually better than what the stats show, hence why Miami loved his workout were he shot really well.
4. As a four year player he is ready to come right in spot minutes, in the case depth is used on a trade he can now be used in those minutes. he is also known for picking up things quick and every says he has tremendous basketball IQ which Spo will love.
5. Everything said about him so far says he is that guy, Heat culture down to the his little toe.

Great post ICC. This summer version of you is a lot better then the nuggets if i do say so myself hahaha. Great insightful post

That got me through that offseason. You don't know how excited i was to log onto this board just to read ICC's inside info no matter wether they were true or not :lol: Hell i'd do it all over again :lol:
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,373

Post#1405 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:10 pm

The more I see, the more that I feel we drafted a guy that’s a close to Jimmy as we can find.

Don’t think he’ll get to that level, but kid is Both a gamer and a winner
ShulaDon92
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,391

Post#1406 » by ShulaDon92 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:11 pm

HeatIn5 wrote:
ShulaDon92 wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

Definitely that but did we need another Butler?

Jaquez could be the first Lorenzo Bird

-SHULA

Jaq can replace butler in the reg season games he’ll miss, and play those roles when he needs a blow. Will essentially play the positionless 3/4 with Martin

Yea, i see it the same way brehz. More depth. If he makes the roster

-SHULA
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1407 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Heat scouts loved the west coast this year
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,399

Post#1408 » by Wiltside » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Looks like if Screech from Saved by the Bell hit fadeaways :lol:
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#1409 » by IceColdCubano » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:12 pm

IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#1410 » by IceColdCubano » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:24 pm

MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,261

Post#1411 » by MorbidHEAT » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:37 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
MorbidHEAT wrote:

I just don’t understand it. Our 2 best players are 2 point players. It seems like you should surround them with shooters. Doesn’t seem like we did that. We essentially added another player that will operate in the same areas as our 2 stars.

4. how game ready is he to put him into our improvement program and will he improve quickly.

1. Miami, has nobody that can do what they already do well from the starters, right now our best bench player is Caleb Martin if call him our 6th Man. Even Caleb Martin offense starts from the three point line on a dribble drive or pump fake. He has no in between game and neither does anybody else outside of a rare Lowry post up on another point guard. This is were JJ comes in, doing what Jimmy does but for our bench team.
2. Miami, is best with their inside out game break down the paint create easy opportunity's, then get open three pointers from paint collapse, exactly what JJ did in college night in night out.
3. He shot a low percentage from three ball, but thats not what will be asked of him. I already showed on a previous post that he is actually better than what the stats show, hence why Miami loved his workout were he shot really well.
4. As a four year player he is ready to come right in spot minutes, in the case depth is used on a trade he can now be used in those minutes. he is also known for picking up things quick and every says he has tremendous basketball IQ which Spo will love.
5. Everything said about him so far says he is that guy, Heat culture down to the his little toe.

I have no problem with him as a player. In some ways I just don’t think he really fixes a need. Having said that, I think he’s a great player and he will be an asset. Hopefully when he is in there with Jimmy and Bam, the land doesn’t clog up worse than Andy Ellisburg’s arteries.
ShulaDon92
Lead Assistant

Post#1412 » by ShulaDon92 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:40 pm

MorbidHEAT wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
MorbidHEAT wrote:

I have no problem with him as a player. In some ways I just don’t think he really fixes a need. Having said that, I think he’s a great player and he will be an asset. Hopefully when he is in there with Jimmy and Bam, the land doesn’t clog up worse than Andy Ellisburg’s arteries.

He doesn't fix a need, seemingly he is being brought in to compete with Caleb/Strus

-SHULA
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,766

Post#1413 » by QUIZ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:40 pm

I do understand why some people are down on this guy, it doesn’t seem like we went with the best player available at 18. At the same time though I understand where the front office is coming from. We picked the youngest player in the draft last year in Jokic and he wasn’t able to contribute at all. There’s still a question of whether he’ll be able to play real minutes this season too.

With the new CBA and the likelihood that we are losing one of Max or Gabe, the Heat probably felt like they couldn’t have another dead roster spot with a guy who was still years away from contributing to the team. Especially when we don’t really have a way to add any free agents this offseason outside of minimum guys.

I’m rooting for him. Expecting to see him play some at the 4 this season.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Spacely
Analyst
And1: 6,155

Post#1414 » by Spacely » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:43 pm

btw Jimmy and JJJ have the same vertical leap 39’
ShulaDon92
Lead Assistant

Post#1415 » by ShulaDon92 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:44 pm

QUIZ wrote:I do understand why some people are down on this guy, it doesn’t seem like we went with the best player available at 18. At the same time though I understand where the front office is coming from. We picked the youngest player in the draft last year in Jokic and he wasn’t able to contribute at all. There’s still a question of whether he’ll be able to play real minutes this season too.

With the new CBA and the likelihood that we are losing one of Max or Gabe, the Heat probably felt like they couldn’t have another dead roster spot with a guy who was still years away from contributing to the team. Especially when we don’t really have a way to add any free agents this offseason outside of minimum guys.

We did pick the best player but we prioritized skill over athleticism.

-SHULA
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1416 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:48 pm

QUIZ wrote:I do understand why some people are down on this guy, it doesn’t seem like we went with the best player available at 18. At the same time though I understand where the front office is coming from. We picked the youngest player in the draft last year in Jokic and he wasn’t able to contribute at all. There’s still a question of whether he’ll be able to play real minutes this season too.

This is it
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1417 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:49 pm

Spacely wrote:btw Jimmy and JJJ have the same vertical leap 39’

Shadow games to get there. 2 inch difference in the standing reach. But, I do think JJ is a deceptive athlete.
Spacely
Analyst

Post#1418 » by Spacely » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:58 pm

greg4012 wrote:

Shadow games to get there. 2 inch difference in the standing reach. But, I do think JJ is a deceptive athlete.

and what does that mean?
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1419 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:01 pm

Spacely wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

and what does that mean?

If you don't extend your arms fully on the standing reach, then it'll allow you to add a boost to your vertical jump number. JJ curiously had the shortest standing reach of any forward+ prospect from this Draft Combine.

Gives the impression of a boost to athleticism.

Really not a big deal, just a savvy way to fudge the numbers a bit.
Spacely
Analyst

Post#1420 » by Spacely » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:06 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Spacely wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

and what does that mean?

If you don't extend your arms fully on the standing reach, then it'll allow you to add a boost to your vertical jump number. JJ curiously had the shortest standing reach of any forward+ prospect from this Draft Combine.

Gives the impression of a boost to athleticism.

Really not a big deal, just a savvy way to fudge the numbers a bit.

Is that not cheating?

Return to Miami Heat