ImageImageImage

NBA Draft Thread 2023

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,550

Re: NBA Draft Thread 2023 

Post#1441 » by twix2500 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:37 pm

Important skill that Jaquez has that the Heat badly needed is Jaquez has the instinct to get into transition help this team play more uptempo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
UFAlum88
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,395

Post#1442 » by UFAlum88 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:14 pm

Meh...Miami continued the Pat Riley tradition of picking 2nd round talent in the first round.

Kid is talented, but #18? Nah.
MiamiLoyal926
Rookie
And1: 2,048

Post#1443 » by MiamiLoyal926 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:12 pm

3ballbomber wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:After the initial disappointment, I'm warming up to the pick.

JJJ doesn't have the upside most of the top 20 have, but history shows most of these guys won't reach their upside anyway. He has a very good chance to be a rotation worthy guy much faster then most of the other options.

I think it will come down to his shooting. If he can't become a good NBA 3 point shooter I think he'll be end of rotation guy at best. If his shooting is really as great as our scouts hint - and IF he'll get stronger and play as tough as some expect - then he might be a useful smallball 4 that can shoot, defend, create some on offense and just be well rounded without killing us in any areas.

I just hope there's more then meets the eye with him. Mainly better shooting then the numbers suggest, and better physicality then the measurements suggests.

I say this lightly as i don't take much stock on these college cats....but he has the 'potential' to be a 3 level scorer, 2 way player w/ an IQ and teammanship mentality to boot. That is highly regarded & valuable to an organization such as Miami Heat & can see why they drafted him. No better place than to develop those attributes.

I have a feeling they used the same data analytics that Spo loves to use for his team and rotations to see JJJ from a different lens that his role in UCLA did not show. I have a feeling his fit and impact will be better than expected.

Not to mention, he was the focal point of his team’s offense, which means he has practice being the center of attention for defenses.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,399

Post#1444 » by Wiltside » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:58 pm

If Caleb is moved in a potential Lillard deal, could see JJJ taking some of his minutes at the 3/4.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,046

Post#1445 » by 3ballbomber » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:47 am

MiamiLoyal926 wrote:
3ballbomber wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:After the initial disappointment, I'm warming up to the pick.

JJJ doesn't have the upside most of the top 20 have, but history shows most of these guys won't reach their upside anyway. He has a very good chance to be a rotation worthy guy much faster then most of the other options.

I think it will come down to his shooting. If he can't become a good NBA 3 point shooter I think he'll be end of rotation guy at best. If his shooting is really as great as our scouts hint - and IF he'll get stronger and play as tough as some expect - then he might be a useful smallball 4 that can shoot, defend, create some on offense and just be well rounded without killing us in any areas.

I just hope there's more then meets the eye with him. Mainly better shooting then the numbers suggest, and better physicality then the measurements suggests.

I say this lightly as i don't take much stock on these college cats....but he has the 'potential' to be a 3 level scorer, 2 way player w/ an IQ and teammanship mentality to boot. That is highly regarded & valuable to an organization such as Miami Heat & can see why they drafted him. No better place than to develop those attributes.

I have a feeling they used the same data analytics that Spo loves to use for his team and rotations to see JJJ from a different lens that his role in UCLA did not show. I have a feeling his fit and impact will be better than expected.

Not to mention, he was the focal point of his team’s offense, which means he has practice being the center of attention for defenses.

Yeah most def we're looking from another angle & perspective, how he fits, the potential & the sort of impact he can have on the team. Again, i take any outings in SL w/ a grain of salt but i'm anticipating his performance.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,276

Post#1446 » by dean456 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:15 am

QUIZ wrote:
HeatIn5 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This guy shot 37% from the field during his senior year in college. His defense must be amazing

Read on Twitter

His defense is impressive. I could see him being this years Marcus Garrett in summer league.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,170

Post#1447 » by greg4012 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:30 pm

UFAlum88 wrote:Meh...Miami continued the Pat Riley tradition of picking 2nd round talent in the first round.

He's def not a sexy upside pick. But, I do see the value as a high floor pick that is ready to contribute ASAP. I felt similarly less than enchanted with the pick because a handful of guys were available that I honestly believe can become top 5-10 players from the draft class when it's all said and done (Leonard Miller, Whitmore, Podz). But, reality seems that Golden State was looking to draft Jaime at 19 if we didn't. And the rumblings on Whitmore are concerning.

As much as I believe in Leonard Miller and Podz, the reality is that Miller is more upside project (like Jovic) than he is readymade contributor and sure thing to have a clear fit. So, I understand Miami wanting to get a great fit for the current roster that is ready to play ASAP (especially after going upside project with Jovic last year).

As for Pat Riley tradition--out of Miami's most recent first round draft picks (none being earlier than pick 13), this is the result:

- Bam Adebayo was picked 14 and is no worse than top 4 from that class looking back right now (I have him #2 behind only Tatum).
- Tyler Herro was picked 13 and has played as one of the 5 best players from that class to date.
- Precious was mid
- Jovic--too early to make any determination, but he was pick 27.

You might need to reassess what Riley and the Heat FOs tradition is.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1448 » by greg4012 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:31 pm

Wiltside wrote:If Caleb is moved in a potential Lillard deal, could see JJJ taking some of his minutes at the 3/4.

He'd have to be ready to jump Haywood. I think Highsmith will get a lot of burn this year and play some good ball for us.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1449 » by greg4012 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:46 pm

Let the competition for next Miami Heat undrafted player to become a sharpshooting movement floor spacer and NBA rotation player begin. This year's enrollees into the school of Duncan-Strus movement shooting are:

Justin Powell

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-powell-1.html

Read on Twitter

Taylor Funk

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/taylor-funk-1.html

Read on Twitter

Drew Peterson
Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/drew-peterson-1.html

Read on Twitter

I have Taylor Funk as my early favorite to emerge as a future rotation player for Miami. But, all 3 guys are intriguing. The work might be what ends up separating them.
MiamiLoyal926
Rookie
And1: 2,048

Post#1450 » by MiamiLoyal926 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:00 pm

greg4012 wrote:
UFAlum88 wrote:Meh...Miami continued the Pat Riley tradition of picking 2nd round talent in the first round.

He's def not a sexy upside pick. But, I do see the value as a high floor pick that is ready to contribute ASAP. I felt similarly less than enchanted with the pick because a handful of guys were available that I honestly believe can become top 5-10 players from the draft class when it's all said and done (Leonard Miller, Whitmore, Podz). But, reality seems that Golden State was looking to draft Jaime at 19 if we didn't. And the rumblings on Whitmore are concerning.

As much as I believe in Leonard Miller and Podz, the reality is that Miller is more upside project (like Jovic) than he is readymade contributor and sure thing to have a clear fit. So, I understand Miami wanting to get a great fit for the current roster that is ready to play ASAP (especially after going upside project with Jovic last year).

As for Pat Riley tradition--out of Miami's most recent first round draft picks (none being earlier than pick 13), this is the result:

- Bam Adebayo was picked 14 and is no worse than top 4 from that class looking back right now (I have him #2 behind only Tatum).
- Tyler Herro was picked 13 and has played as one of the 5 best players from that class to date.
- Precious was mid
- Jovic--too early to make a decision, but he was pick 27.

You might need to reassess what Riley and the Heat FOs tradition is.

I see a little bit of Luka lite in JJJ, albeit not as crafty or with the same range… but I would be lying if I denied seeing some similarities in footwork, ball control, and even body type. Just saying… I am going to hope for some development in craftiness and 3 point shooting to go with his already nice footwork, mid range game, and dawg like defense. With NBA money and resources, he is bound to improve, especially if he has that fight in him to prove himself and Mr. Pat right.
carnageta
Veteran
And1: 7,137

Post#1451 » by carnageta » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:38 pm

Wiltside wrote:If Caleb is moved in a potential Lillard deal, could see JJJ taking some of his minutes at the 3/4.

JJJ would likely be gone too in that situation lol
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,179

Post#1452 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:45 pm

greg4012 wrote:Let the competition for next Miami Heat undrafted player to become a sharpshooting movement floor spacer and NBA rotation player begin. This year's enrollees into the school of Duncan-Strus movement shooting are:

Justin Powell

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-powell-1.html

Read on Twitter

Taylor Funk

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/taylor-funk-1.html

Read on Twitter

Drew Peterson
Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/drew-peterson-1.html

Read on Twitter

I have Taylor Funk as my early favorite to emerge as a future rotation player for Miami. But, all 3 guys are intriguing. The work might be what ends up separating them.

yeah that funky guy is a promising prospect. specially if one of our shooters gets injured or something,. could be a nice call up from the lower leagues. lets see what happens
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,827

Post#1453 » by BFRESH44 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:34 pm

If this kid was 19 and not 22 year old 4 year senior, he’s a top 5 pick. Just too skilled. The footwork and the pace he plays screams very good NBA starter at worst. Add on the good size at 6’7 230, and the underrated athlete with a 34.5 standing vert. We got another one, boys.

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,399

Post#1454 » by Wiltside » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:41 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:If this kid was 19 and not 22 year old 4 year senior, he’s a top 5 pick. Just too skilled. The footwork and the pace he plays screams very good NBA starter at worst. And on the good size at 6’7 230, and the underrated athlete with a 34.5 standing vert. We got another one, boys.

You can tell he’s a hooper. The footwork is excellent, his handle and shot creation ability is solid, and the touch looks good around the basket and midrange. If he can stick the 3 at an above average clip, he should become pretty valuable as a rotation piece.

Good size for an NBA wing, and has played a fair bit of small ball 4 too. It looks like he can pressure up on defense and read passing lanes, will be interested to see how he guards in space as teams are going to try hunt him initially.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,972

Post#1455 » by DayofMourning » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:46 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:If this kid was 19 and not 22 year old 4 year senior, he’s a top 5 pick. Just too skilled. The footwork and the pace he plays screams very good NBA starter at worst. And on the good size at 6’7 230, and the underrated athlete with a 34.5 standing vert. We got another one, boys.

He looks awesome in these highlights. I need to see an actual game of his though.

What Ive been listening to is that he was "the guy" behind UCLA's culture. A leader. A make the winning play guy.

Ive enjoyed his relentless though. Getting 2nd chances at blocks. Playing physical. And the footwork on offense. Nice game.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1456 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:58 pm

https://tankathon.com/mock_draft

If this is their final mock, that's pretty impressive. They were very close on almost all selections.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,050

Post#1457 » by DBurks2818 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:06 pm

Friends, take a trip down memory lane with me.

2017 NBA Draft thread:
Riley being Riley...in other words, drafting poorly as hell

Give me Jordan bell over Bam anyday, I really hope there is a trade in place

Garbage. This dude will struggle to even make the squad.

Tj leaf was my pick

What a wasted year

Winner:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Get a grip people. Some of ya'll acting like Knicks fans. Trust the front office. They saw something they liked

2019 NBA Draft thread:
NOOOOOOOO RILEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT. NOOOOOOOOOOO

Disappointing.

Total **** up

Unathletic, mediocre shooter, with possible above mediocre shooting potential

I am done with this front office WTF ???

Winner:
dolphinatik wrote:I told u guys it was herro or bust. Great pick. Bol bol would be nice but herro is safe pick highest floor available solid pick.

Listen. U guys will realize herro is good. Not superstar but solid guy a piece u need a piece u can trade later or if u have the stars will be a hustle guy that can score

We'll have to look back at this thread in 2 years and see if the 'Riley reached. Pick makes no sense' trend continues to be wrong!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1458 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:14 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:Friends, take a trip down memory lane with me.

2017 NBA Draft thread:
Riley being Riley...in other words, drafting poorly as hell

Give me Jordan bell over Bam anyday, I really hope there is a trade in place

Garbage. This dude will struggle to even make the squad.

Tj leaf was my pick

What a wasted year

Winner:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Get a grip people. Some of ya'll acting like Knicks fans. Trust the front office. They saw something they liked

2019 NBA Draft thread:
NOOOOOOOO RILEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT. NOOOOOOOOOOO

Disappointing.

Total **** up

Unathletic, mediocre shooter, with possible above mediocre shooting potential

I am done with this front office WTF ???

Winner:
dolphinatik wrote:I told u guys it was herro or bust. Great pick. Bol bol would be nice but herro is safe pick highest floor available solid pick.

Listen. U guys will realize herro is good. Not superstar but solid guy a piece u need a piece u can trade later or if u have the stars will be a hustle guy that can score

We'll have to look back at this thread in 2 years and see if the 'Riley reached. Pick makes no sense' trend continues to be wrong!

TJ Leaf! Haha. I feel like a lot on this board were pulling for him.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1459 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:22 pm

Welcome to Miami Bronny James.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,998

Post#1460 » by IceColdCubano » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:38 pm

DayofMourning wrote:2024

Welcome to Miami Bronny James.

I feel like Miami would draft him just to fck with his dad, and not play him.

Return to Miami Heat