ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 691

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#1481 » by VaDe255 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:53 pm

Trae isn't even remotely realistic, it would cost every asset they have and then some.

Most realistic scenario for this team to have a hope of contending is, DM asks out and specifically has Miami at the top of his list.
Would cost less and they might even be able to keep Jovic.
Worst case is they don't have enough and need to send Jimmy to a 3rd team, still would do it. Swapping Jimmy for DM is the better move long term.

Trading and signing Ingram to a huge contract would be a blunder (confident they aren't doing it).
The reasons NO wants to trade him are: inefficient scorer, injury prone and bad defender. The exact same reasons Heat fans want to trade Tyler.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,767

Post#1482 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue May 14, 2024 7:50 pm

Just rreading between the tea leaves - If I had to bet I think we're really considering trading Jimmy.

We're not extending him, and I think the front office came to the realization this core's window has closed.

Really getting the feeling they'll try to flip Jimmy to Sixers or Clippers for future assets and try to rebuild. Which is probably smart, If you put my irrational love for Jimmy a side.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,073

Post#1483 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue May 14, 2024 7:52 pm

We keep sitting here wondering why we can’t get these flashy names when there’s 29 other team with more draft ammo and better tradable players waiting in the chamber. Maxing bam will cap us with 40 wins per season at best. When will the franchise learn that the only way forward is at least having that lotto ticket at the top of the draft
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,325

Post#1484 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Just rreading between the tea leaves - If I had to bet I think we're really considering trading Jimmy.

We're not extending him, and I think the front office came to the realization this core's window has closed.

Really getting the feeling they'll try to flip Jimmy to Sixers or Clippers for future assets and try to rebuild. Which is probably smart, If you put my irrational love for Jimmy a side.

I'm going back to hearing some Heat Lock'd in podcast, Wes Goldbert went from you guys were right about Herro not being the star that he basically acted like he was to hey... Miami can have max cap space in a few years with Butler gone and just Herro (he did say this) and Bam on big contracts. He can't let Herro go and seems more then good with him as Miami's #1 or #2 option... my god that's an era of darkness for Miami. I'd still pop in to see how everyone's enjoying that new era of Miami Heat basketball. It's going to be bad time in Miami until a new #1 option shows up in Miami, get all the solid players you want, you still need those top tier players to do much in the NBA playoffs. It's like people don't quit remember what Miami was heading into the 2020s with before Butler forced his way to Miami.

On trading Butler, remember what you gave up for him, you probably can expect about the same type of package for him at his current age. It was a 1st and Richardson, right? Would you trade him to Philly for a 1st and say... Paul Reed since they could absorb his contract if they wanted? Maybe Houston might give up D.Brooks, S.Adams, Jeff Green and a 1st for him. I don't think you're looking at all that much in trade value and Miami usually doesn't "lose" in a trade and it will look that way.

Please take in consideration, Miami has been looking for a new #1 for nearly a decade now and unexpectedly for them, Butler became that for Miami, but their search didn't quit after acquiring him, they had a plan to go after Giannis by letting Finals starters walk for cap space, they went after KD and Lillard yet still nothing. Moving Butler in the next 2-3 years is a big negative for the Heat until they can finally find another #1.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,616

Post#1485 » by twix2500 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Look at the Miami Heat future president
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1486 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 8:57 pm

Johnny Fontane wrote:We keep sitting here wondering why we can’t get these flashy names when there’s 29 other team with more draft ammo and better tradable players waiting in the chamber. Maxing bam will cap us with 40 wins per season at best. When will the franchise learn that the only way forward is at least having that lotto ticket at the top of the draft

Or go all in on a higher tier player instead of trying to play the leverage game but going all in to get that player. Miami could have floated out a sizable package for Lillard to get Portland's fanbase talking and putting pressure on their FO but instead Miami just sat back and waited expecting Portland to cave because of the leverage Lillard and Miami thought they had.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,195

Post#1487 » by eddieheatfan » Tue May 14, 2024 9:07 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Look at the Miami Heat future president

HeatFan_NC
Sophomore
And1: 316

Post#1488 » by HeatFan_NC » Tue May 14, 2024 9:11 pm

Hoops3355 wrote:
marson wrote:If we could trade Herro for Trae, I would say make the deal and run with it. Draft Edey, put Bam back at the 4, and you'll have two bigs who can catch lobs. Surround Trae with defensive players, and we'll be in great shape.

Edey
Bam
Jaquez
Butler
Trae

I honestly don't understand why people think Edey is gonna make it in the NBA. Like how many dudes his size with his speed exist right now. 1-2 maybe? That's not suddenly going to change.

Edey is not agile. I don't think he would fit our system. He's like Shawn Bradley without a jumpshot
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81,042

Post#1489 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 14, 2024 9:46 pm

HeatFan_NC wrote:
Hoops3355 wrote:
marson wrote:If we could trade Herro for Trae, I would say make the deal and run with it. Draft Edey, put Bam back at the 4, and you'll have two bigs who can catch lobs. Surround Trae with defensive players, and we'll be in great shape.

Edey
Bam
Jaquez
Butler
Trae

I honestly don't understand why people think Edey is gonna make it in the NBA. Like how many dudes his size with his speed exist right now. 1-2 maybe? That's not suddenly going to change.

Edey is not agile. I don't think he would fit our system. He's like Shawn Bradley without a jumpshot

Definitely not, but the crazy size advantage and free throw drawing hed get would balance the offense. I like several other guys better, but if our FO took him, Id be intrigued to see it develop.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach

Post#1490 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 pm

AirP. wrote:
Johnny Fontane wrote:We keep sitting here wondering why we can’t get these flashy names when there’s 29 other team with more draft ammo and better tradable players waiting in the chamber. Maxing bam will cap us with 40 wins per season at best. When will the franchise learn that the only way forward is at least having that lotto ticket at the top of the draft

Or go all in on a higher tier player instead of trying to play the leverage game but going all in to get that player. Miami could have floated out a sizable package for Lillard to get Portland's fanbase talking and putting pressure on their FO but instead Miami just sat back and waited expecting Portland to cave because of the leverage Lillard and Miami thought they had.

Going all in on an injury prone old player with an albatross type contract sounds like a terrible idea
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81,042

Post#1491 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 14, 2024 10:06 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Just rreading between the tea leaves - If I had to bet I think we're really considering trading Jimmy.

We all love Butler. Were looking change in the face though.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1492 » by AirP. » Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 pm

Johnny Fontane wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Going all in on an injury prone old player with an albatross type contract sounds like a terrible idea

Going into a season without a top tier player (or possible top tier player developing) is basically a wasted season, even if you're talking about a part time top tier player. Most teams would tank in that situation, Miami doesn't really do that. Give me a player like Butler or Lillard at their contracts than 2 mid-level/somewhat high contracts like Robinson and Herro.

Miami fans need to remember the abyss you were heading towards at the end of the 2018-2019 season with no real hope. As an ex-Bulls fan, I've seen how bad it can be when the FO decides it's time to rebuild and you never find a way to acquire that new #1.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach

Post#1493 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue May 14, 2024 10:39 pm

AirP. wrote:
Johnny Fontane wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Going into a season without a top tier player (or possible top tier player developing) is basically a wasted season, even if you're talking about a part time top tier player. Most teams would tank in that situation, Miami doesn't really do that. Give me a player like Butler or Lillard at their contracts than 2 mid-level/somewhat high contracts like Robinson and Herro.

Miami fans need to remember the abyss you were heading towards at the end of the 2018-2019 season with no real hope. As an ex-Bulls fan, I've seen how bad it can be when the FO decides it's time to rebuild and you never find a way to acquire that new #1.

Butler+ Lillard + Bam= 150m after we max Bam. No long term stability with that core. Young stars are what’s currently winning in this league the Lillards and butlers are getting injured and becoming names of the past
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,545

Post#1494 » by Beenie » Tue May 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Still like Colin Sexton as an undervalued young player that would fit in the Culture (And Herro in Utah)

He’s like a poor man's Brunson, meant as a compliment

Id be in on him but not as a first priority
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,250

Post#1495 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 pm

VaDe255 wrote:Trae isn't even remotely realistic, it would cost every asset they have and then some.

Most realistic scenario for this team to have a hope of contending is, DM asks out and specifically has Miami at the top of his list.
Would cost less and they might even be able to keep Jovic.
Worst case is they don't have enough and need to send Jimmy to a 3rd team, still would do it. Swapping Jimmy for DM is the better move long term.

Trading and signing Ingram to a huge contract would be a blunder (confident they aren't doing it).
The reasons NO wants to trade him are: inefficient scorer, injury prone and bad defender. The exact same reasons Heat fans want to trade Tyler.

Give me Mitchell first all day.

But, if Mitchell doesn't happen and we're exploring the next options and you can't see the difference for this team between having Brandon Ingram and Tyler Herro, then you go ahead and do you...
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,545

Post#1496 » by Beenie » Tue May 14, 2024 11:12 pm

HeatFan_NC wrote:
Hoops3355 wrote:

Edey
Bam
Jaquez
Butler
Trae

Spo didn’t play Yurt unless the roster was thin due to injuries.

Plotting bigs just aren’t favorable in his system
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,616

Post#1497 » by twix2500 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 pm

Beenie wrote:
HeatFan_NC wrote:
Hoops3355 wrote:

Spo didn’t play Yurt unless the roster was thin due to injuries.

Plotting bigs just aren’t favorable in his system

Spo had so many chances, he chose otherwise. Riley has said in the past that their was a philosophy differnce between him and Spo about playing bigs and valuing rebounding
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,436

Post#1498 » by Wiltside » Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 pm

I think Edey will be polarising within the Heat FO. I reckon Pat would love him, but Spo wouldn't play him more than 10 minutes a night.

I think there's a lot of ways this offseason could go. I think we'll go whale hunting first and try and prise a big name to join us. Failing that, it wouldn't shock me if there was a Jimmy trade later in July once majority of the dominos have fallen.

Would hurt a lot to see Jimmy in another teams colours after the last 5 years. Love that dude.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
HeatFan_NC
Sophomore
And1: 316

Post#1499 » by HeatFan_NC » Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 pm

Wiltside wrote:I think Edey will be polarising within the Heat FO. I reckon Pat would love him, but Spo wouldn't play him more than 10 minutes a night.

I think there's a lot of ways this offseason could go. I think we'll go whale hunting first and try and prise a big name to join us. Failing that, it wouldn't shock me if there was a Jimmy trade later in July once majority of the dominos have fallen.

Would hurt a lot to see Jimmy in another teams colours after the last 5 years. Love that dude.

Same here. I wouldn't want to see him in another team's uniform, especially an Eastern conf. Team!

Could you imagine a lineup with Edey, Bam, Jovic, Jimmy, and Rozier? That would be pretty cool if Edey's game could transition to Heat culture
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 146,115

Post#1500 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 pm

Spo wouldn’t even play Achuiwa with Bam and you all think Edey is a realistic possibility?

Return to Miami Heat