ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,983

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#1501 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 14, 2024 11:35 pm

I really do think we have an outside shot at getting Lillard just for the mere fact i don’t think he or his family are happy that he’s in Milwaukee. The relationship is completely forced. Are we really going to be upset if all it takes is Herro, Rozier, and maybe Jovic? Keep in mind that Herro is a Wisconsin kid and is still very young which could be a draw for the Bucks.
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 16,090

Post#1502 » by Kobewade11 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:I really do think we have an outside shot at getting Lillard just for the mere fact i don’t think he or his family are happy that he’s in Milwaukee. The relationship is completely forced. Are we really going to be upset if all it takes is Herro, Rozier, and maybe Jovic? Keep in mind that Herro is a Wisconsin kid and is still very young which could be a draw for the Bucks.

Milwaukee is still in the position where they have to placate to Giannis. I can't imagine him being too excited about that deal
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1503 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 15, 2024 12:01 am

Kobewade11 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I really do think we have an outside shot at getting Lillard just for the mere fact i don’t think he or his family are happy that he’s in Milwaukee. The relationship is completely forced. Are we really going to be upset if all it takes is Herro, Rozier, and maybe Jovic? Keep in mind that Herro is a Wisconsin kid and is still very young which could be a draw for the Bucks.

Milwaukee is still in the position where they have to placate to Giannis. I can't imagine him being too excited about that deal

Milwaukee would be getting (2)20 point scorers and a young prospect. If he knows Dame is not happy there than maybe he would see the value of the return to round out there depth.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,417

Post#1504 » by Wiltside » Wed May 15, 2024 12:17 am

Not my boy Niko :(

They can take Herro and Terry and like it lol
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,273

Post#1505 » by AirP. » Wed May 15, 2024 12:30 am

Johnny Fontane wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Johnny Fontane wrote:Going all in on an injury prone old player with an albatross type contract sounds like a terrible idea

Going into a season without a top tier player (or possible top tier player developing) is basically a wasted season, even if you're talking about a part time top tier player. Most teams would tank in that situation, Miami doesn't really do that. Give me a player like Butler or Lillard at their contracts than 2 mid-level/somewhat high contracts like Robinson and Herro.

Miami fans need to remember the abyss you were heading towards at the end of the 2018-2019 season with no real hope. As an ex-Bulls fan, I've seen how bad it can be when the FO decides it's time to rebuild and you never find a way to acquire that new #1.

Butler+ Lillard + Bam= 150m after we max Bam. No long term stability with that core. Young stars are what’s currently winning in this league the Lillards and butlers are getting injured and becoming names of the past

So just add average young talent unless you luck into a younger star? What's the plan on getting this special talent when Miami won't tank? Personally, I'd take most higher-level talent when I can get it and let the franchise develop players to fill roles which Miami seems good at doing.

Right now, outside of Butler, there's really nobody on the roster who has any ability to be the best player of a series. Is it great that the only guy is in his mid 30s, yes, but at least there's a chance. Should Miami continue to try to find more talent that can be the top player in a series, absolutely much like they have been doing for what a decade since LeBron left and all they've acquired is Butler? All I'm saying is the history in the last decade doesn't point towards Miami getting a new #1 for a while so why throw away even a small chance at doing something special in the playoffs rather than be a middle of the road team with no higher level talent other than Bam who's mostly a special talent because of his defense.

I think Miami's FO has gotten far too conservative at going after higher level players, they should have done whatever they could have to team up Mitchell with Bam when Utah was moving him. In this Butler and Bam era, all they were missing was vet consistent 20+ scorer that they could count on in the playoffs (like Dragic was) which instead of spending the assets to get they just doubled down on hoping for Herro to just make that leap and may have missed out on a championship because of.
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,966

Post#1506 » by marson » Wed May 15, 2024 12:37 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Spo wouldn’t even play Achuiwa with Bam and you all think Edey is a realistic possibility?

We need to rethink our strategy because playing small ball isn't leading to victories. We're wearing Bam out while other teams are getting bigger and stronger. I'm not suggesting we need to draft Edey, but we do need to prioritize finding a true center via trade or draft to pair up with Bam.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1507 » by Wiltside » Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 am

We need to be careful what we wish for a bit here. While it's frustrating hitting the glass ceiling, it wasn't that long ago that our roster consisted of overpriced malcontents like Dion Waiters, James Johnson and Hassan Whiteside. Let alone overpaid "youth" like Tyler Johnson.

This was our reality before Jimmy decided to flex and get his way here. The last 5 years have been fantastic, we just haven't been able to break through to celebrate the ultimate. We've been damn close though.

I think we owe it to Jimmy to give him another opportunity to perform on the big stage. It's a damn shame that he got injured in the phucking play-in game, because you know he would've brought the juice vs Boston. Really, the season was lost when we slumped and let Indiana overtake us. Jimmy stays healthy and we're playing a washed Bucks and injured Knicks team? Easy ECF with our roster.

Front Office has one final opportunity to get the right pieces around Bam and Butler to get us over the hump. Outside of Boston, no-one else in the East concerns me. Pat needs to make the tough calls now, much like he did with Eddie Jones, Rasual Butler and Damon Jones to acquire Antoine Walker, Jason Williams and James Posey. We're that kind of deal away from taking that next step, but the clock is ticking - Jimmy is starting to show his wear and tear, and we need Bam and our youth (Jovic/JJJ/Pick 15) to provide the energy and lift us.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1508 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 15, 2024 12:51 am

marson wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Spo wouldn’t even play Achuiwa with Bam and you all think Edey is a realistic possibility?

We need to rethink our strategy because playing small ball isn't leading to victories. We're wearing Bam out while other teams are getting bigger and stronger. I'm not suggesting we need to draft Edey, but we do need to prioritize finding a true center via trade or draft to pair up with Bam.

I really don’t think we need a tru true Center though. I think a 6’8 or 6’9 player would suffice as well. Bam found great success with smaller burlier PF’s in Crowder and Tucker who could shoot, screen, and rebound. If a player is small he needs to weigh atleast 235-240. We’ve been playing light weights next to Bam and that hurts more. In today’s NBA Edey, Bam, and Butler are just not going to work in the switch and 3 point era.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1509 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 15, 2024 1:47 am

Technically we already have a young developmental Center prospect on the roster with Orlando Robinson who’s 6’11 with a 7’4 wingspan. Spo never played him cause I genuinely believe he has no interest in playing these types of bigs with Bam. Spo even played Kevin Love at the Center spot cause he valued his outside shooting.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#1510 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 15, 2024 2:59 am

Johnny Fontane wrote:We keep sitting here wondering why we can’t get these flashy names when there’s 29 other team with more draft ammo and better tradable players waiting in the chamber. Maxing bam will cap us with 40 wins per season at best. When will the franchise learn that the only way forward is at least having that lotto ticket at the top of the draft

We’ve never won less than 40 games since Bams become a starter, this is dramatic n
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1511 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 15, 2024 3:02 am

Surely to god you all wouldn’t seriously let JJJ or Jovic keep you from putting a perennial all star next to Jimmy and Bam.
#FreeBam
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,066

Post#1512 » by Johnny Fontane » Wed May 15, 2024 3:17 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Johnny Fontane wrote:We keep sitting here wondering why we can’t get these flashy names when there’s 29 other team with more draft ammo and better tradable players waiting in the chamber. Maxing bam will cap us with 40 wins per season at best. When will the franchise learn that the only way forward is at least having that lotto ticket at the top of the draft

We’ve never won less than 40 games since Bams become a starter, this is dramatic n

Jimmy era’s going to end one way or another. Either traded or outlives his usefulness to the team. 40 wins with Bam and scrubs is not dramatic
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1513 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 15, 2024 4:36 am

Johnny Fontane wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Jimmy era’s going to end one way or another. Either traded or outlives his usefulness to the team. 40 wins with Bam and scrubs is not dramatic

Right and we’ll be swapping his $50M-$60M out with others
#FreeBam
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,750

Post#1514 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 15, 2024 5:47 am

some won't want o hear it - but Spo needs to change too.

Smallball is dead. great bigs are coming back in style big time, and every team is getting longer on the wings and tougher all around.

Playing with an undersized C next to guys like Rozier/Herro/Duncan isn't winning you anything going forward.

It's time to evolve - we need to supersize the entire team and get back to Heat toughness, we don't have a Luka type to cover up us being small/weak we have to be the tougher/bigger team.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 685

Post#1515 » by VaDe255 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:58 am

greg4012 wrote:
VaDe255 wrote:Trae isn't even remotely realistic, it would cost every asset they have and then some.

Most realistic scenario for this team to have a hope of contending is, DM asks out and specifically has Miami at the top of his list.
Would cost less and they might even be able to keep Jovic.
Worst case is they don't have enough and need to send Jimmy to a 3rd team, still would do it. Swapping Jimmy for DM is the better move long term.

Trading and signing Ingram to a huge contract would be a blunder (confident they aren't doing it).
The reasons NO wants to trade him are: inefficient scorer, injury prone and bad defender. The exact same reasons Heat fans want to trade Tyler.

Give me Mitchell first all day.

But, if Mitchell doesn't happen and we're exploring the next options and you can't see the difference for this team between having Brandon Ingram and Tyler Herro, then you go ahead and do you...

There is none. Both aren't a #1 option. What did BI ever do in the playoffs? He played a worse series than Herro this year, how much proof do you need?
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,966

Post#1516 » by marson » Wed May 15, 2024 6:00 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:

some won't wat o heat it -but Spo needs to change too.

Smallball is dead. great bigs are coming back in style big time, and every team is getting longer on the wings and tougher all around.

Playing with an undersized C next to guys like Rozier/Herro/Duncan isn't winning you anything going forward.

It's time to evolve - we need to supersize the entire team and get back to Heat toughness, we don't have a Luka type to cover up us being small/weak we have to be the tougher/bigger team.

Edey hype train lets go :nod:
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#1517 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 15, 2024 7:05 am

marson wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

I was low on Edey but getting deeper into the tape - he's improved his mobility enough to be considered IMO. He's still slow, but he's just MASSIVE, AND he has a great touch. If Brook Lopez can be fit into a good defensive system, Edey might be able to as well.

Anyway I wasn't talking about any particular player, I just want to see HEAT basketball back. We need to be bigger, longer, tougher. A player I like more then Edey is Kel'el Ware - a 20YO with a 7'4.5 wingspan, very mobile and quick, very long, just has a natural scoring talent and smoothness to his game, even shot the 3 ball in the 40% this year.

That's the type of player that if you hit on - transform this entire team into a much nastier, bigger, longer, more physical team. Bam at PF, Jovic a huge SF, Jimmy huge SG. He'll I'd also try to draft a strong big PG like Devin Carter.

PG : Devin Carter - 6'9 wingsapn, strong tough kid
SG : Jimmy
SF : Jovic
PF : Bam
C : Kel'el Ware - 7'5 standing reach with great mobility AND a 3 point shot.

That's the type of team I want to see - big, long, tough, overpowering. We don't have the finesse 1A scorer like a Luke/Shai/Lilard - So let's ****'em up and bully some fools.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1518 » by Wiltside » Wed May 15, 2024 9:38 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
marson wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

I was low on Edey but getting deeper into the tape - he's improved his mobility enough to be considered IMO. He's still slow, but he's just MASSIVE, AND he has a great touch. If Brook Lopez can be fit into a good defensive system, Edey might be able to as well.

Anyway I wasn't talking about any particular player, I just want to see HEAT basketball back. We need to be bigger, longer, tougher. A player I like more then Edey is Kel'el Ware - a 20YO with a 7'4.5 wingspan, very mobile and quick, very long, just has a natural scoring talent and smoothness to his game, even shot the 3 ball in the 40% this year.

That's the type of player that if you hit on - transform this entire team into a much nastier, bigger, longer, more physical team. Bam at PF, Jovic a huge SF, Jimmy huge SG. He'll I'd also try to draft a strong big PG like Devin Carter.

That's the type of team I want to see - big, long, tough, overpowering. We don't have the finesse 1A scorer like a Luke/Shai/Lilard - So let's ****'em up and bully some fools.

It feels like the issue with Ware is the lack of motor, which is basically a black mark in Heat speak. Ware has the tools to be good, but is he Chris Bosh or Mo Bamba?

Additional size would be good though. Or the option to go bigger at times.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#1519 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 15, 2024 10:45 am

Wiltside wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:
marson wrote:

It feels like the issue with Ware is the lack of motor, which is basically a black mark in Heat speak. Ware has the tools to be good, but is he Chris Bosh or Mo Bamba?

Additional size would be good though. Or the option to go bigger at times.

Every year you hear about Motor issues, honestly IDGAF.

If Ware was perfect he'd go top 3 in this draft. Kid was super productive this year, 16/10/2 as a Sophomore.

Unless he's some serious head case - we should trust our structure to bring the best out of him. Picking nice hard working kids with subpar tools and talent is easy, but it will get us nowhere.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,578

Post#1520 » by twix2500 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:45 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:

some won't want o hear it - but Spo needs to change too.

Nothing wrong with small ball but personally I have always felt the Achilles heel to spo small ball offense was the lack of adding fastbreak to his scheme. Spo has always played small and slow pace

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Return to Miami Heat