ImageImageImage

Riley to step aside; **Update (Pg 4) Riley denies report**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

HeatSince88
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#21 » by HeatSince88 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:54 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:Riley has a thing for huge reaches.

Huh?

2007 - D Cook - not a reach at #20ish
2005 - W Simien - not a reach at #28ish (at the time)
2004 - D Wright - not a reach at #21ish
2003 - D Wade - obviously not a reach at #5
2002 - C Butler - obviously not a reach at #10ish

Are you just basing that statement on a media rumor that 5 years ago he was leaning toward a 18ppg/14rpg center rather than a 24ppg/7apg guard?

I'm looking thru that list and trying to find the pattern of "huge reaches" you speak of ...
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#22 » by heat4life » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:26 pm

[quote="HeatSince88"][/quote]

The enforcer :lol:
Can you play PF?
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#23 » by salqaddoumi » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:29 pm

Great choice Riley, it's good for him and his health and it's good for the team that he's stepping down after this season.

The Spoelstra era begins!
CRHeel94
Junior
And1: 0

Post#24 » by CRHeel94 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:51 pm

HeatSince88 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Huh?

2007 - D Cook - not a reach at #20ish
2005 - W Simien - not a reach at #28ish (at the time)
2004 - D Wright - not a reach at #21ish
2003 - D Wade - obviously not a reach at #5
2002 - C Butler - obviously not a reach at #10ish

Are you just basing that statement on a media rumor that 5 years ago he was leaning toward a 18ppg/14rpg center rather than a 24ppg/7apg guard?

I'm looking thru that list and trying to find the pattern of "huge reaches" you speak of ...

Cook was a slight reach...most mock drafts had him going a little later. Wright was a big reach. The other picks were fine.

The track record with second round picks is abysmal (I believe Rasual Butler is the only Riley second rounder to play meaningful minutes for the Heat), but that really doesn't cripple a team (nice upside yes, but not cripple). That is greatly offset by all the guys he hast salvaged from the scrap heap (Crotty, Murdock, Lenard, Porter, Austin, James, Carter, Haslem, etc).
HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,695

Post#25 » by HEATVols865 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:34 pm

I like Rick Carlisle...
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
HeatSince88
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#26 » by HeatSince88 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:26 pm

CRHeel94 wrote:Cook was a slight reach

Maybe by 3-4 slots if you just look at mock drafts, which mean absolutely nothing.

But I can't understand how getting a 19-year-old at #20 who comes in and right away starts lighting up defenses is considered a "reach". To me, that defines a "steal".

But somehow in this bizarro anti-Riley world we now live in, it's a "reach" drafting that type of player (D. Cook) at #20 :crazy:

I guess we should have drafted Derrick Byars or Zabian Dowell like this board was demanding! LOL ...

Wright was a big reach

Maybe 3-4 slots again, going by Joe Schmoe Website mock drafts, which mean nothing. But Ainge was gonna be all over Wright just a few slots later. So it's hardly a reach getting a kid with that much natural talent at #20 in a weak draft, especially when it's pretty well-known he was gonna be drafted just a couple slots later.

The track record with second round picks is abysmal (I believe Rasual Butler is the only Riley second rounder to play meaningful minutes for the Heat),

Whose track record in Round 2 isn't abysmal? There's about a 20% success rate there on average. Is Riley's record much different?

It's not like he's been drafting at the top of round 2 to find the occasional Boozer and Arenas at #32 that come along once every 4 years, but I guess we expect him to find all-stars anyway at #50, right?

Looking at the facts ... Out of all the second-round picks Riley has made and not traded since 2000, 40% of them are still NBA players in rotations of playoff teams (Eddie House, Rasual Butler).

Is a 40% success rate in the 2nd round reason to consider Riley a "huge reacher" on draft day? Ridiculous.

but that really doesn't cripple a team (nice upside yes, but not cripple). That is greatly offset by all the guys he hast salvaged from the scrap heap (Crotty, Murdock, Lenard, Porter, Austin, James, Carter, Haslem, etc).

Good point.

Look, I'll be the first to say he has failed miserably putting together the veteran rotation needed to play his style this season. And that he should be given no free pass when it comes to being accountable for it. But calling him a "huge reacher" with draft picks is just not accurate.
G.cracker
Head Coach
And1: 958

Post#27 » by G.cracker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:36 pm

From today's Herald...

http://www.miamiherald.com/606/story/371888.html

I'm like Global Warming, you can't ignore me.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#28 » by heat4life » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:02 pm

Different generations. If Riley had 5 more UD-type of players on the roster we would be contending. I think a new voice/coach would help with the younger players (maybe upset Shaq but he is not the main player here anymore).

On Ricky Davis, it's really unpleasant to watch him play. He has all the physical gifts but refuses to play Pro-Basketball and instead becomes a playground-type player. Add JWill to that mess as well.

Count both as players that will not return next year so we better trade them for some draft picks or something just to get something back.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Post#29 » by LEIF » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:16 pm

I am eager for the Spoelstra/Wade era to move forward, I think with Riley solely focused on retooling this roster so that we rely on Shaq less and less, if we can obtain a top player in this next draft, combined with a key trade or two, we can become very good very quickly. IMO.

this to me looks to be a quicker fix then the rebuilding years of EJ, BG, Caron Butler as a rookie, etc.

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
G.cracker
Head Coach

Post#30 » by G.cracker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:32 pm

Is it tampering if team President riley starts sending Elton Brand Gucci belts now?
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#31 » by heat4life » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:11 pm

I wonder how Shaq is going to react when/if Spoelstra becomes the next head coach.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#32 » by Flash3 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:30 pm

Shaq better sit tight and play. And STFU! :lol:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
daniel3
Lead Assistant
And1: 481

Post#33 » by daniel3 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:24 pm

Riley jumping ship is always a bad sign. Hopefully we can pickup another gem like Wade like last time.
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#34 » by salqaddoumi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:12 am

G.cracker wrote:
Also, on the radio this AM, Joe rose basically spelled out that the other players are very frustrtaed with Ricky Davis not playing in the schemes and not passing to open guys.

YES.

Get Ricky out of Miami ASAP, please.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Flash3 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:30 am

daniel3 wrote:Riley jumping ship is always a bad sign. Hopefully we can pickup another gem like Wade like last time.
He's not jumping ship nor quitting.

He's relieving himself from coaching this team, which in many ways can be a good thing.

If your players aren't playing hard enough and aren't listening to the coach, you fire the......coach.

He's still going to be on board as our President/GM, a role he has flourished in when done solely.

This might be the exact move this team needs now to transition into the Wade Era.

But no where is he jumping ship....
Number34
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#36 » by Number34 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:30 am

Good, a change could really help the team and pat can sit back and concentrate on trades and the up and coming draft.
Mad Mike
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#37 » by Mad Mike » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Flash3 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's not jumping ship nor quitting.

He's relieving himself from coaching this team, which in many ways can be a good thing.

If your players aren't playing hard enough and aren't listening to the coach, you fire the......coach.

He's still going to be on board as our President/GM, a role he has flourished in when done solely.

This might be the exact move this team needs now to transition into the Wade Era.

But no where is he jumping ship....

:crazy: top 3 coaches of all time and you think it could be a good thing he is leaving the bench. He actually did a bad job being the President/GM this year by signing guys like smush and penny instead of his own in kapono and posey. When your players aren't playing hard enough and aren't listening to a hall of fame top 3 coach in history than you trade the players not fire the hall of fame top 3 coach in the history. He is kinda jumping ships/quitting because he was suppose to be on the ship till shaq retires but this season has frustrated him which i completely understand.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,297

Post#38 » by BBallFreak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Yes, Riley is a great coach and most of us love him, but the man is 62 years old. If he wants to step down at the end of the year, he has every right to. He brought us a championship and made us a relevant franchise in this league. When he signed on here, he told us his vision was a parade running down Biscayne Boulevard. He delivered. I don't begrudge him anything.

Mad Mike, I'm sorry you feel he screwed over your Knicks, or whatever your grudge is, but we don't care.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Flash3 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Mad Mike wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:crazy: top 3 coaches of all time and you think it could be a good thing he is leaving the bench. He actually did a bad job being the President/GM this year by signing guys like smush and penny instead of his own in kapono and posey. When your players aren't playing hard enough and aren't listening to a hall of fame top 3 coach in history than you trade the players not fire the hall of fame top 3 coach in the history. He is kinda jumping ships/quitting because he was suppose to be on the ship till shaq retires but this season has frustrated him which i completely understand.
He's STILL going to be on this 'ship' for another few years as the President/GM of this team. It's a position that he also fared very successful in when done solely, and w/o his coaching duties.

Riley maybe a HOF coach, there's no denying that, but he is getting old and the day to day grind is getting to him, it's very evident. Whether it's the time to relinquish the duties to someone younger or not, is up to Riley; as he's earned the right to do w/ever he chooses with this franchise.

Again, he's NOT jumping ship, he's still going to be on board. So take your :crazy: smiley and read within the lines, and not between them......
G.cracker
Head Coach

Post#40 » by G.cracker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Wanna lick? PSYCH!

http://www.miamiherald.com/592/story/373478.html
Riley refutes report that he might step down

Return to Miami Heat