ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,974

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#281 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:At some point, we need to stop with the defensive wings, we get them undrafted and polish them AKA, Haywood Highsmith. Lets go get a High scorer potential guy, high upside instead. Our ability to score is in shambles, were doing just fine on the defensive side.

Tidjane Salaun, Ja'Kobe Walter, Isaiah Collier, (Carlton) Bub Carrington seems to be some of the big boom or bust offensive players in our draft range. I personally like Bub Carrington the most.

I dont know if Im taking shots away from any of our current guys for these dudes. I think we need a better offensive balance and not having a true big to help with post offense hurts.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,998

Post#282 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:At some point, we need to stop with the defensive wings, we get them undrafted and polish them AKA, Haywood Highsmith. Lets go get a High scorer potential guy, high upside instead. Our ability to score is in shambles, were doing just fine on the defensive side.

Tidjane Salaun, Ja'Kobe Walter, Isaiah Collier, (Carlton) Bub Carrington seems to be some of the big boom or bust offensive players in our draft range. I personally like Bub Carrington the most.

I dont know if Im taking shots away from any of our current guys for these dudes. I think we need a better offensive balance and not having a true big to help with post offense hurts.

Really you think our current scorers are doing just fine? It's a thought provoking question, because I believe we need to have some of those shots taken away from some of our guys, I really do. If Bam is not going to be aggressive, Id rather not give those to the Highsmiths, Calebs of our bench but instead to Someone with better offensive IQ and the ability to win their matchup on any given day. We don't have a quality 6th man who can get buckets at will, its all spread around, like were watching Highsmith do hook shots at the rim to get us buckets, in what world is this acceptable. Were hoping that Kevin Love a almost 40 year old vet is the guy anchoring our bench scoring. Miami is in desperate need of a slasher archetype scorer, we have a bunch of motion shooters or 3&D wing shooters that can't do anything with a dribble.
My take is this:
1. Bam on most nights will not be as aggressive as we want there's that, no at high volume anyways.
2. Jimmy is getting older, and will continue to drop his PPG as seasons go on, and play less and less games.
3. Herro is not a very good high volume high efficiency scorer, so we need to tail him down to do less shots attempts regardless.
4. We don't have a quality high volume scorer from the bench. Jaquez will at some point become a starter, and join the team.
5. We don't run our offense through Jovic, so he isn't going to be scoring often either.
6. Rozier is the only guy on this team, that has a semblance of slashing ability due to his quickness and ball handling, but he is a very small guard, that can get clogged often at the rim with size unless he has separation.

We need a slasher that's 6'-5" or bigger, quick speed, high vertical leap, long wingspan, has good ball handling and will get a bucket on 1v1 situation over 95% of the defenders in the league just on his athletism alone. Skill is secondary.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,179

Post#283 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 pm

I think it’s more that there’s an extremely low likelihood that this draft has the guy who will solve our offensive woes as a lead scorer.

Draft is pretty rough. Maybe it has a decent middle class spread throughout
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,890

Post#284 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:18 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:I just don’t think Dunn works here. Defensively he’s a great fit at the 4, but his lack of spacing limits his upside tremendously. Is he Matisse Thybulle? Or Brandon Clarke?

If we keep the pick, take one of the guards that are likely to be available. McCain or Carter.

A 6'8 Kelly Oubre and Caleb Martin

If we want an Oubre or Martin type that’s Terrence Shannon Jr
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#285 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:Really you think our current scorers are doing just fine? It's a thought provoking question, because I believe we need to have some of those shots taken away from some of our guys, I really do.

Its just offensive imbalance. Who is our post scorer? TRob, but hes so deficient on defense you cant even play him.

If Bam is not going to be aggressive, Id rather not give those to the Highsmiths, Calebs of our bench but instead to Someone with better offensive IQ and the ability to win their matchup on any given day.

If we are relying on septernary options for offense then we are def imbalanced. How bout a guy like Kyle Flip. A 7 footer who can score around the basket and should be able to play with Bam, if Spo doesnt vomit due to him not being able to switch on the perimeter.

We don't have a quality 6th man who can get buckets at will, its all spread around, like were watching Highsmith do hook shots at the rim to get us buckets, in what world is this acceptable. Were hoping that Kevin Love a almost 40 year old vet is the guy anchoring our bench scoring. Miami is in desperate need of a slasher archetype scorer, we have a bunch of motion shooters or 3&D wing shooters that can't do anything with a dribble.

We have Rozier, Herro or Jaime to take on scorers roles. They just need guys to rebound the ball and protect the layup line. Bam gets 10 boards a game but the next highest starter gets 5 a game. Bam NEEDS help so badly.

We need a slasher that's 6'-5" or bigger, quick speed, high vertical leap, long wingspan, has good ball handling and will get a bucket on 1v1 situation over 95% of the defenders in the league just on his athletism alone. Skill is secondary.

I doubt we find that guy where we pick. Vince Carter, Dwyane Wade, Anthony Edwards fit the mold but are way above our pick projectioms each year.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,998

Post#286 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:29 pm

greg4012 wrote:I think it’s more that there’s an extremely low likelihood that this draft has the guy who will solve our offensive woes as a lead scorer.

Theres a couple diamonds in the rough but yeah its a weak draft, I just don't want them picking another defensive first no skill low upside guy just so they can get him into our rotation quickly and let him play defense.

Go full upside here if there's something that can pop in 3-4 years once their through our program go for that, I am rather patient. The Jimmy build is meh and window pretty tightly closed, and not going to be impacted by a pick this year so picking for fit in a role now doesn't help the team in the future when Jimmy is long gone. Nothing you pick is going to be why we win a championship next year. Just go for future, and high upside guy is easier to use in a trade anyways if need be.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#287 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:Theres a couple diamonds in the rough but yeah its a weak draft, I just don't want them picking another defensive first no skill low upside guy just so they can get him into our rotation quickly and let him play defense.

Go full upside here if there's something that can pop in 3-4 years once their through our program go for that, I am rather patient. The Jimmy build is meh and window pretty tightly closed, and not going to be impacted by a pick this year so picking for fit in a role now doesn't help the team in the future when Jimmy is long gone. Nothing you pick is going to be why we win a championship next year. Just go for future, and high upside guy is easier to use in a trade anyways if need be.

Jimmy build has been derailed by injury after injury. We def need to make quality picks and look ahead to when we arent cap strangled by a 36 year old part timer making $50 mil a year.

Looks like thats the offseason of 2026. SGA, Tatum and DMitch surface then. Of those 3, DMitch is probably the only one willing to join.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#288 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:54 pm

greg4012 wrote:I think it’s more that there’s an extremely low likelihood that this draft has the guy who will solve our offensive woes as a lead scorer.

I think there a lot of good players to build a quality team with, but no true A listers. Zero.

Next year though. Dylan Harper and Ace Bailey. Whoo wee.
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 596

Post#289 » by Lennyzinho » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:09 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

I agree. It's why I'm on the Zach Edey band wagon.
You rotate jovic bam / bam edey / jovic edey as needed throughout the game. Kinda what Kevin love gets. Kevin love becomes more of a UD type guy or plays when one of them are hurt or need a rest or matchup.

Not saying I think edey becomes an all star. But at 15, having a dude that can come in an exploit a matchup or make a big impact rebounding, defending the lane, banging with a big like valaciunus or embiid or jokic etc. Sure he's slow but they're gonna feel him. And he can wreck smaller guys in the post.

And let's not dismiss how it'll allow Bam to rest more on defense and be more active bringing the ball down and shoot more 3s etc. I think it would give our team a very different look and chess piece for certain games and matchups.

I just saw what hartenstein did yesterday vs sixers. What jonas did vs okc, keeping Pelicans in the game. What zubac did to the mavs. There's value there. Dude scored 37 against clingan that's going top 5-10 in all mocks in the championship game. He carried Purdue for two years. How often do dudes do that and then come into nba and just become bums? And it's more than just size; tacko fall or boban didn't sniff his collegiate success.
_GH0ST_
Junior
And1: 495

Post#290 » by _GH0ST_ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 pm

Remember Kobe Bufkin? Last year almost everyone here adored him lol Dude hasn't looked good so far.

Carter or Silva are the most reliable options but i hope we use this pick for the Donovan trade.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#291 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:I agree. It's why I'm on the Zach Edey band wagon.
You rotate jovic bam / bam edey / jovic edey as needed throughout the game. Kinda what Kevin love gets. Kevin love becomes more of a UD type guy or plays when one of them are hurt or need a rest or matchup.

Not saying I think edey becomes an all star. But at 15, having a dude that can come in an exploit a matchup or make a big impact rebounding, defending the lane, banging with a big like valaciunus or embiid or jokic etc. Sure he's slow but they're gonna feel him. And he can wreck smaller guys in the post.

And let's not dismiss how it'll allow Bam to rest more on defense and be more active bringing the ball down and shoot more 3s etc. I think it would give our team a very different look and chess piece for certain games and matchups.

I just saw what hartenstein did yesterday vs sixers. What jonas did vs okc, keeping Pelicans in the game. What zubac did to the mavs. There's value there. Dude scored 37 against clingan that's going top 5-10 in all mocks in the championship game. He carried Purdue for two years. How often do dudes do that and then come into nba and just become bums? And it's more than just size; tacko fall or boban didn't sniff his collegiate success.

It blows my mind that weve just given up on having a true post threat. It doesnt have to be some dominant scorer either, just someone we can dump the ball to 5 feet from the basket and expect results. Weve got forwards masquerading as big men.

With Edey, you could at least have someone with size to push guys like Jokic out of their comfort zone. Jokic couldve average 70 points a game against us last year. It was abysmal watching our "bigs" attempt to slow him down.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,890

Post#292 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Lennyzinho wrote:I agree. It's why I'm on the Zach Edey band wagon.

It blows my mind that weve just given up on having a true post threat. It doesnt have to be some dominant scorer either, just someone we can dump the ball to 5 feet from the basket and expect results. Weve got forwards masquerading as big men.

With Edey, you could at least have someone with size to push guys like Jokic out of their comfort zone. Jokic couldve average 70 points a game against us last year. It was abysmal watching our "bigs" attempt to slow him down.

The issue is are we going to waste a pick on a big that has no chance at playing with Bam and is just a 12-15 min a night backup. Filipowski is the only pick that has a chance to play the KO role next to Bam.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:16 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:The issue is are we going to waste a pick on a big that has no chance at playing with Bam and is just a 12-15 min a night backup. Filipowski is the only pick that has a chance to play the KO role next to Bam.

Im down with Flip. Im down with drafting 3 bigs this draft even though thats nigh impossible. Im tired of the size disadvantage and the scrambling defense.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#294 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:29 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

I've been all over the Zach Edey nba draft thread trying to open people's eyes to the possibility Edey can be a valuable rotation big in the nba, even to the Heat. People see 7'4" and think Boban, but this man is waaaaayyy more effective and flexible then Boban ever was. Plus, he's entering the league at 21 instead of 27. He's much more of a Zubac or Nets Brook Lopez.

He has what old school college Cs like Drew Timme and Luka Garza don't have, elite size, length, and agility for his size. He's no Wemby, but he's not an unathletic 6'9 with a 7'1" foot wingspan, he's an athletic 7'4 with a nearly 8 foot wingspan. If you look at his combine data and footage from last season, he had better agility results than guys like Gobert and GG Jackson. He also has good touch, and better than expected shooting form in his work out footage. If the Heat picked him at 15, I think he would be a good back up C just from his size, strength, and skill alone. He'd probably be one of the best post scorers on the team. You don't average 25 pts a game in the BIG 10 by just being a big stiff.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#295 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 pm

My biggest question with Edey is actually about his passing. Offensive blackholes that require exclusive paint assignment become a tough fit for ever warranting extended minutes in the modern nba.

If he can play make out of the post the possibilities become more interesting. His college production doesn’t reflect he can. But context matters
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 596

Post#296 » by Lennyzinho » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:45 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Lennyzinho wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I've been all over the Zach Edey nba draft thread trying to open people's eyes to the possibility Edey can be a valuable rotation big in the nba, even to the Heat. People see 7'4" and think Boban, but this man is waaaaayyy more effective and flexible then Boban ever was. Plus, he's entering the league at 21 instead of 27. He's much more of a Zubac or Nets Brook Lopez.

He has what old school college Cs like Drew Timme and Luka Garza don't have, elite size, length, and agility for his size. He's no Wemby, but he's not an unathletic 6'9 with a 7'1" foot wingspan, he's an athletic 7'4 with a nearly 8 foot wingspan. If you look at his combine data and footage from last season, he had better agility results than guys like Gobert and GG Jackson. He also has good touch, and better than expected shooting form in his work out footage. If the Heat picked him at 15, I think he would be a good back up C just from his size, strength, and skill alone. He'd probably be one of the best post scorers on the team. You don't average 25 pts a game in the BIG 10 by just being a big stiff.

Edey's touch and finishing around the rim is top notch. We keep talking about how everything looks difficult for the heat. Nothing comes easy. And I feel like we do the same DHO type stuff.

What's easier than dumping it to edey on a mismatch? Or spamming 3s with Duncan herro rozier and letting bam and edey crash the boards. And I disagree about bam and edey not being able to play together. Draymond has played plenty with dudes like Looney or Wiseman in their career. And Bam is shooting enough 3s at a good clip and if we get edey, that outside shooting should be his offseason focus.

It will give us a wrinkle offensively we haven't had since Shaq. I think it's a no brainer if he gets to us.

If he goes in the 11-14 range I'll be upset we ended up beating the Bulls
:(
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#297 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 pm

greg4012 wrote:My biggest question with Edey is actually about his passing. Offensive blackholes that require exclusive paint assignment become a tough fit for ever warranting extended minutes in the modern nba.

If he can play make out of the post the possibilities become more interesting. His college production doesn’t reflect he can. But context matters

Yeah he didn't have many options to pass to in college, so it's hard to say how representative his slightly negative A/TO is. I did see him make some good reads in the footage I have seen during the tournament, so I am optimistic he can be a serviceable passer. Hassan Whiteside had like a 0.5 to 2.5 A/TO ratio in college, and I REALLY considered him a blackhole.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#298 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Lennyzinho wrote:

Edey's touch and finishing around the rim is top notch. We keep talking about how everything looks difficult for the heat. Nothing comes easy. And I feel like we do the same DHO type stuff.

What's easier than dumping it to edey on a mismatch? Or spamming 3s with Duncan herro rozier and letting bam and edey crash the boards. And I disagree about bam and edey not being able to play together. Draymond has played plenty with dudes like Looney or Wiseman in their career. And Bam is shooting enough 3s at a good clip and if we get edey, that outside shooting should be his offseason focus.

It will give us a wrinkle offensively we haven't had since Shaq. I think it's a no brainer if he gets to us.

If he goes in the 11-14 range I'll be upset we ended up beating the Bulls
:(

We had to see Meyers Leonard's molasses footed self take 30 seconds to load and fire his 1 3 a game. I wouldn't be surprised if Edey had atleast that in him. Brook Lopez went from nearly 0 to 5 a game over an offseason and 8 years into his career.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#299 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
greg4012 wrote:My biggest question with Edey is actually about his passing. Offensive blackholes that require exclusive paint assignment become a tough fit for ever warranting extended minutes in the modern nba.

Yeah he didn't have many options to pass to in college, so it's hard to say how representative his slightly negative A/TO is. I did see him make some good reads in the footage I have seen during the tournament, so I am optimistic he can be a serviceable passer. Hassan Whiteside had like a 0.5 to 2.5 A/TO ratio in college, and I REALLY considered him a blackhole.

It’s def unanswered at best. That’s the main concern to me. There are others but I think the others are more workable with his talent
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#300 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 pm

I think Edeys lack of defensive versatility will cause him to be drafted late 1st round.

We def can look at any prospect in this draft and pick them apart. Edey is not much of passer or versatile defender. What else is he not good at?

As Heat fans, we can look at our roster and see guys 6'5" playing power positions. We can routinely see them outrebounded and completely reliant on jump shooting. When those two facets arent working, what do we have? Blowouts.

Id love to see the Heat invest in multiple big men. Heck, if we drafted 2 bigs, then wed finally have 2 bigs on our roster.

Return to Miami Heat