ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,543

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#661 » by twix2500 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:25 am

Jaylen Wells 6"8 210 lbs 3D swing
12.6 pts, 4.6 rbs, 1.2 ast, 41.7 3p%, 4.9 3pa

https://youtu.be/a_aV3miLh28?si=zigLfYPy2awlxkDM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,997

Post#662 » by IceColdCubano » Fri May 10, 2024 1:28 am

twix2500 wrote:Jaylen Wells 6"8 210 lbs 3D swing
12.6 pts, 4.6 rbs, 1.2 ast, 41.7 3p%, 4.9 3pa

https://youtu.be/a_aV3miLh28?si=zigLfYPy2awlxkDM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That shot release hella slow though, thats not gonna translate to the NBA, if he doesn't speed it up significantly.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,713

Post#663 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri May 10, 2024 6:37 am

IceColdCubano wrote:"Greg Sylvander - Some early draft names that were floated to me today by someone I trust:"

Jared McCain
Tristan Da Silva
Devin Carter
Kyle Filipowski
Tyler Kolek
Johnny Furphy

Basically all are ready now, limited, low ceilings, mature defined roles type of guys.

I'd like this list IF we had a Donovan Mitchell on the roster, but since we don't - adding these type of role players every year is quite depressing.

We're acting scared and heading into treadmilling.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,543

Post#664 » by twix2500 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:18 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:"Greg Sylvander - Some early draft names that were floated to me today by someone I trust:"

Jared McCain
Tristan Da Silva
Devin Carter
Kyle Filipowski
Tyler Kolek
Johnny Furphy

Basically all are ready now, limited, low ceilings, mature defined roles type of guys.

I'd like this list IF we had a Donovan Mitchell on the roster, but since we don't - adding these type of role players every year is quite depressing.

Its hard to gauge McCain point guard skills since he didn't play point much. Used primary as a shooter. But I guess it says a lot that he started as a freshman. He is a type of player that private workouts gonna mean a lot
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#665 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 10, 2024 12:10 pm

Jared McCain
Tristan Da Silva
Devin Carter
Kyle Filipowski
Tyler Kolek
Johnny Furphy

Damn, those are all names we've been talking about. We got the finger on the pulse of what they're looking for.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#666 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 10, 2024 12:23 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:

Jared McCain
Tristan Da Silva
Devin Carter
Kyle Filipowski
Tyler Kolek
Johnny Furphy

This draft isn't the one to expect some high ceiling swing. It's pretty devoid of star potential. But full of potential rotation players. Most of the potential stars are probably going lottery. Even Collier
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,967

Post#667 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 10, 2024 12:30 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Jared McCain
Tristan Da Silva
Devin Carter
Kyle Filipowski
Tyler Kolek
Johnny Furphy

This draft isn't the one to expect some high ceiling swing. It's pretty devoid of star potential. But full of potential rotation players. Most of the potential stars are probably going lottery. Even Collier

This is a draft to build a roster, not one to flip a franchise with a true blue chip prospect. Last year was. Next year probably will be. Keep adding good players to the roster.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#668 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 10, 2024 1:20 pm

Jared McCain, Devin Carter, Tyler Kolek - Potential Back up PGs, secondary ball handlers, and point of attack defenders
Tristian Da Silva, Johnny Furphy - Potential 3&D wings and possible Caleb Martin and Duncan Robinson insurance
Kyle Filipowski - Possible stretch 4 next to Bam or back up stretch C (Kevin Love Insurance).

All would be welcome additions mid first round. Though I do wonder where Da Silva or Furphy fit if Robinson is still here. We got a lot of wings and forwards even if Caleb is gone.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,151

Post#669 » by greg4012 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:43 pm

The following are some guys I think would be interesting bigger upside swings that could be available around the Heat's pick:

- Isaiah Collier - Will most likely go earlier, but he has the upside with an elite trait that could go boom if his shooting catches up. Could be a career bench guy (or worse) if he simply remains a suspect shooting guard that needs the ball in his hand.

- Kyshawn George - 6'8 wing. One of the higher upside shooters in the draft. Was literally a 6'3-6'4 PG type just a couple years ago and continued to grow to his current size into his first college season. When someone is still growing, I can give some benefit of doubt that they're still getting their sea legs. Decent floor with his shooting and potential for untapped upside. If his late growth spurt means he's still becoming more coordinated and explosive in his frame then this could be the guy that surprises everyone in a few years.

- Yves Missi & Kel'el Ware - Athletic rim runner centers that are raw in their overall game. Ware shows some flashes as a shooter.

- Bub Carrington - Versatile PG prospect with solid length and a natural ability to create separation to get his shot off and playmake. Lanky build and almost non-existent rim pressure pose concerns if he can't hang physically.

Hard to forego some of the potentially surefire solid contributors (Da Silva, Carter, Holmes) for a moonshot in this draft. Def interested to learn more about all these prospects thru the process.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,151

Post#670 » by greg4012 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:01 pm

Lowkey one of the purest shooters in the draft. Great catch and shoot numbers and better pull up numbers than most of the rest of the class. He also took a wide variety of 3s including a lot of high difficulty deep 3s and tightly contested shots. Nothing fake about his shooting.

Read on Twitter

An absurd 130 of his 190 FGA were 3PA last season. The whole UMiami basketball season was disjointed and ugly to watch. He clearly only got limited opportunity due to a bunch of perimeter oriented upperclassmen getting priority on the court and on the ball. So he basically was relegated to spot-up shooting with limited minutes with nothing being run for him.

IMO this is a young raw prospect with a lot of interesting tools to mold and develop into a versatile NBA wing, while having NBA ready 3-point shooting at 6'8. Plug this dude right into the Duncan movement shooter program and gradually build on the rest of his skillset. He looks comfortable on the ball (came up as a PG throughout his bball career) and I think there's a lot more to work with there.

Coach Jim Larranaga talked about it when describing Kyshawn’s recruitment to Miami. When Kyshawn was originally recruited from France, he was a 6’5” point guard type; when he arrived at Miami, he was 6’7” and grew another inch to 6’8”.

Not only did Kyshawn grow taller, but according to Coach Larranaga, he’s added about 30 pounds as well in the last year or 2. Adding three inches and 30 pounds is a big change, and you can see some of that in Kyshawn’s movement on the court. I don’t think he’s clumsy by any means, but there is a bit of him testing things out and feeling out his new body at times. He can have some awkward moments when he’s guarding out on the perimeter or even trying to create off the dribble, but as I mentioned earlier, that sounds about right for someone whose body has changed that drastically within a year.

Jon Givony put Coach L onto Kyshawn
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#671 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 10, 2024 5:20 pm

I like the idea of taking Kolek at 15, he seems to have that tough fearlessness the Heat love. I just saw footage of him going straight at Zach Edey and finishing on him.
He gives me a shades of a Dragic lite/TJ McConnell hybrid. He has that pace pushing quality, strength and shooting ability in traffic Dragic did. He is surprisingly efficient at the rim even though he isn't an explosive athlete. I think he was around 62% this season. And his two man game with Oso Ighodaro reminds me of Bam and Dragic. The McConnell part is that I think he's more pass first than Dragic. In fact, Kolek would probably be the best passer on the team day one.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,713

Post#672 » by RexBoyWonder » Fri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

This is a draft to build a roster, not one to flip a franchise with a true blue chip prospect. Last year was. Next year probably will be. Keep adding good players to the roster.

Come on DOM, you sure hell know this organization ain't picking in the top 3 range - not last year, not next year, not ever year.

If your plan to target a star is to wait for us to have a high lottery pick - you'll wait for **** ever.

Stars are harder to find at #15 then at top 3, but they're still there.

Maxy was #21,
Brunson was #33,
Jokic was #46,
Giannis was around #18

You won't win the lottery if you don't ever buy a ticket.

We won't ever draft a star player if every pick we'll keep going for the single hit - mature senior, with below average tools, whos ready now and will at best be a rotation player for his career.

That thinking is leaving us zero chance.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#673 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 10, 2024 6:27 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Come on DOM, you sure hell know this organization ain't picking in the top 3 range - not last year, not next year, not ever year.

If your plan to target a star is to wait for us to have a high lottery pick - you'll wait for **** ever.

Maxy was #21,
Brunson was #33,
Jokic was #46,
Giannis was around #18

We won't ever draft a star player if every pick we'll keep going for the single hit - mature senior, with below average tools, whos ready now and will at best be a rotation player for his career.

Ironically, Brunson was the mature upperclassmen with below average tools. That's why he went so low. He was seen as not a great athlete, with a mediocre wingspan that likely didn't have a high ceiling.

Maxey was seen as a shooting guard in a pg body who's shot was very much a work in progress.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#674 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Come on DOM, you sure hell know this organization ain't picking in the top 3 range - not last year, not next year, not ever year.

Maxy was #21,
Brunson was #33,
Jokic was #46,
Giannis was around #18

Each draft is its own animal. This one looks to be rich with high level role player talent. Take the best player who fits what you want to do and build them up.

We are going to get a good player this draft Rex. Not some hidden talent, but a quality player. And Im okay with that.

I can see the writing on the wall for the Butler, Bam, Herro build. It had its high points.

I perused the last 35 NBA champions and there is a common theme that their best player was a top draft pick by them. Only Denver and Toronto were led by guys who werent drafted in the lotto. So, 94% of the time, if you want a chip, its best youre captained by your drafted, lottery talent. You get the top talent in the draft, then you play the trade market or FA.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,232

Post#675 » by dolphinatik » Fri May 10, 2024 8:57 pm

George shot looks good, everything else looks like its years away. Making him stronger with better handles could break his shot.

Assuming JJJ/Jovic are your 2 guards/SM forward or sf/pf We really need another powerful PF or 2 guard that can get to the rack at will while also being able to shoot the 3. That is where the success in the NBA is today.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#676 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 10, 2024 10:03 pm

dolphinatik wrote:George shot looks good, everything else looks like its years away. Making him stronger with better handles could break his shot.

Assuming JJJ/Jovic are your 2 guards/SM forward or sf/pf We really need another powerful PF or 2 guard that can get to the rack at will while also being able to shoot the 3. That is where the success in the NBA is today.

I think having mismatches is where success stems.

Look at Minny. Theyve got every team beat in the post. Gobert, Towns and Naz. Thats a mismatch/advantage. Then theyve got another mismatch/advantage in Anthony Edwards. He can get his against any dude in the league.

Miami has zero advantages.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#678 » by lastb1ckman » Sat May 11, 2024 12:42 am

DayofMourning wrote:
dolphinatik wrote:George shot looks good, everything else looks like its years away. Making him stronger with better handles could break his shot.

Look at Minny. Theyve got every team beat in the post. Gobert, Towns and Naz. Thats a mismatch/advantage. Then theyve got another mismatch/advantage in Anthony Edwards. He can get his against any dude in the league.

That's one reason why I liked the idea of drafting Edey. He creates an immediate mismatch by just being on the floor. Draws double teams no matter what.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#679 » by DayofMourning » Sat May 11, 2024 12:45 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

That's one reason why I liked the idea of drafting Edey. He creates an immediate mismatch by just being on the floor. Draws double teams no matter what.

I can see that. Edey scores 60 points a game against the Celtics. You have to abuse your advantages. Right now, the Heat are a team full of disadvatanges.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#680 » by DayofMourning » Sat May 11, 2024 12:45 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I can see that. Edey scores 60 points a game against the Celtics. You have to abuse your advantages. Right now, the Heat are a team full of disadvatanges.

Return to Miami Heat