ImageImageImage

Will small-ball ever win us a championship?

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,816

Will small-ball ever win us a championship? 

Post#1 » by al bondiga » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:20 am

If our starting And Main team is considered "small", Playing the most Minutes...

NEVER !! :banghead:
al bondiga
Starter

Re: Will small-ball ever win us a championship? 

Post#2 » by al bondiga » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:07 am

Retraction... Yes small ball might have some legs in the league after 5 Or 10 years

But then, After five or ten years Of successful existence, Small ball will revert back to a secondary strategy
contract
RealGM
And1: 21,022

Post#3 » by contract » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:17 pm

al bondiga wrote:If our starting And Main team is considered "small", Playing the most Minutes...

Small ball has already won us a championship. It also won a championship for the Celtics and bushel of them for Golden State. I don't understand the obsession that people have with size. The NBA is full of teams with bigger lineups that were at home watching us play in the Finals last season.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#4 » by IceColdCubano » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:16 pm

contract wrote:
al bondiga wrote:If our starting And Main team is considered "small", Playing the most Minutes...

Small ball has already won us a championship. It also won a championship for the Celtics and bushel of them for Golden State. I don't understand the obsession that people have with size. The NBA is full of teams with bigger lineups that were at home watching us play in the Finals last season.

People misunderstand big...Like for example Joel Embiid is big, but his team isn't and if you play him a certain way which Bam does very well we can take him out of his comfort. Then you have Boston, again their big at the SF and Center but even porzingas is more of perimeter scorer and mid range player. He will occasionally find himself downlow but again not a big problem for us as long we have our rotations in check, and we do well everywhere else. The only true big team are Cleveland & Nuggets, but Cleveland for example they don't have scoring bigs, Just big defenders/rebounders their more practical big players, and they have small guards. so its kind of balance. The Nuggets are the only real problem because their lineup is all big from PG-C they all tower over most in the league additionally all their players play really good defense and are capable scorers. If we meet them in the Finals again, it will probable result in another loss, just being honest. The teams that gave them the most problems are high scoring teams, that trade buckets with them, Miami will slow the game down, which to them doesn't matter Having Jokic take his time and view the court with more time is actually a worse outcome.

Smallball has won us a championship with a completely different team. Filled with 2 of the Top 3 players in the league playing with each other in Dwade & Lebron. Until this iteration of Jimmy and Bam wins, were winless with this smallball team.
al bondiga
Starter

Post#5 » by al bondiga » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:58 pm

What people consider small ball has never won us a championship and if I am correct, it has never won a championship in the NBA As a main strategy.

Correction again ...If Someone is meticulous about certain NBA champions of the past, Maybe we can see Some examples of small Ball during the deciding minutes of a Game

All the times we won with bron wade and bosh... We had a strong And heavy team... Smallball is not only length and height
contract
RealGM
And1: 21,022

Post#6 » by contract » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:12 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
contract wrote:

People misunderstand big...Like for example Joel Embiid is big, but his team isn't and if you play him a certain way which Bam does very well we can take him out of his comfort. Then you have Boston, again their big at the SF and Center but even porzingas is more of perimeter scorer and mid range player. He will occasionally find himself downlow but again not a big problem for us as long we have our rotations in check, and we do well everywhere else. The only true big team are Cleveland & Nuggets, but Cleveland for example they don't have scoring bigs, Just big defenders/rebounders their more practical big players, and they have small guards. so its kind of balance. The Nuggets are the only real problem because their lineup is all big from PG-C they all tower over most in the league additionally all their players play really good defense and are capable scorers. If we meet them in the Finals again, it will probable result in another loss, just being honest. The teams that gave them the most problems are high scoring teams, that trade buckets with them, Miami will slow the game down, which to them doesn't matter Having Jokic take his time and view the court with more time is actually a worse outcome.

Smallball has won us a championship with a completely different team. Filled with 2 of the Top 3 players in the league playing with each other in Dwade & Lebron. Until this iteration of Jimmy and Bam wins, were winless with this smallball team.

Sure, but we'd be winless with three 7 footers too. Size doesn't win. Talent wins.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,968

Post#7 » by Kobewade11 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:34 pm

al bondiga wrote:What people consider small ball has never won us a championship and if I am correct, it has never won a championship in the NBA As a main strategy.

Correction again ...If Someone is meticulous about certain NBA champions of the past, Maybe we can see Some examples of small Ball during the deciding minutes of a Game

All the times we won with bron wade and bosh... We had a strong And heavy team... Smallball is not only length and height

We won the championship with a ‘power’ rotation of Bosh, Battier, and UD. If that isn’t small ball I dont know what is.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,042

Post#8 » by 3ballbomber » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:47 am

we've had more success w/ small ball in the last 4yrs or so than other teams w/ big line ups.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
al bondiga
Starter

Post#9 » by al bondiga » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:54 pm

3ballbomber wrote:we've had more success w/ small ball in the last 4yrs or so than other teams w/ big line ups.

yes...but I think It's just a trend, spo Figure it out early and fast, Explodes it beautifully... But I think it's just a Fashion that will be around for Five-ten years at the most
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,585

Post#10 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:00 pm

When people say small ball won us a championship but yet

C Chris Bosh 6'11 230
PF Lebron James 6'9 250
SF Shane Battier 6'8 220
SG Dwyane Wade 6'4 220
PG Mario Chalmers 6'2 190

This is not a small team. We are now relegated to playing players who are 6'5 220 at the PF spot.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,585

Post#11 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:02 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
al bondiga wrote:What people consider small ball has never won us a championship and if I am correct, it has never won a championship in the NBA As a main strategy.

We won the championship with a ‘power’ rotation of Bosh, Battier, and UD. If that isn’t small ball I dont know what is.

Chris Bosh 6'11 230
UD 6'8 240
Battier 6'8 220

Our power rotation now consist of

Bam 6'9 250
Haywood Highsmith 6'5 220
Caleb Martin 6'5 200
al bondiga
Starter

Post#12 » by al bondiga » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:26 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:

I subscribe to what meta just said, I Consider it small ball if you 5 Dwayne wades out there...
But not if you have five lebron james!

Now and again you can win a championship with someone as good as Wade... But it's not habitual
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,514

Post#13 » by twix2500 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 pm

Andrew Bogut is not small

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,968

Post#14 » by Kobewade11 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:56 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:

Chris Bosh 6'11 230
UD 6'8 240
Battier 6'8 220

Bam 6'9 250
Caleb Martin 6'5 200

Kevin Love 6’8 250. UD was also only getting 9-15 mins on those big 3 championship teams

“Small ball” has always been used in the context of the front court
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#15 » by IceColdCubano » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:21 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:We won the championship with a ‘power’ rotation of Bosh, Battier, and UD. If that isn’t small ball I dont know what is.

Chris Bosh 6'11 230
UD 6'8 240
Battier 6'8 220

Bam 6'9 250
Caleb Martin 6'5 200

Kevin Love 6’8 250. UD was also only getting 9-15 mins on those big 3 championship teams

“Small ball” has always been used in the context of the front court

In retrospect, you also have to look at where the league was during this time.
During Miami Heats run the power rotations on other teams were bigger and played big and post play was a thing. So it made since you had to have 6'-8" guys at a minimum, it was considered small ball tweener forwards drafted in the 2000's-2015 were 6'-6" thru 6'-8". These days a tweener forward is 6'-4" thru 6'-7"

Bosh, UD, Battier went up against:
Pacers - Hibbert 7'-2, Danny Granger 6'-9", David West 6'-9", Luis Scola 6'-9"
Boston - Kevin Garnett 6'-11", Chris Wilcox 6'-10", Jarred Sullinger 6'-10", Kelly Olynyk 6'-11", Jeff Green 6'-8", Big Baby Davis 6'-8"
Atlanta Hawks - Elton Brand 6'-9", Al Horford 6'-9", Mike Muscala 6'-10", Gustavo Ayon 6'-10"

Thats three teams 90% of the guys mentioned in those power rotations where post heavy usage players, only players to step out for some middys were Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Al Horfort, Luis Scola, Danny Granger, however they still ate in the post.

These days who is posting up our power rotations?
Denver did it to us in the Finals last year, but outside of them, their team is really big who is exploiting us down low. Miami's gang rebounding system does enough not to be a reason that were kicked out of the playoffs in the East because of it.
al bondiga
Starter

Post#16 » by al bondiga » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:28 pm

anybody else See Last night how a big lineup tends to win Basketball games... Or am I crazy And the eye test doesn't apply anymore in anything.??? :D :lol: :D
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,223

Post#17 » by AirP. » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:53 pm

al bondiga wrote:
3ballbomber wrote:we've had more success w/ small ball in the last 4yrs or so than other teams w/ big line ups.

yes...but I think It's just a trend, spo Figure it out early and fast, Explodes it beautifully... But I think it's just a Fashion that will be around for Five-ten years at the most

The trend is that the players (even at a very young age) have more access to learning skills and techniques with the internet along with a better understanding of conditioning their bodies. If you look at the NBA year by year the average size is 6'6'' or 6'7'' although you can tell the players were getting stronger since the heights didn't change but the average weight did go up, interesting enough it's been coming down since 2017, maybe to be a little quicker with the 3ball era hitting its stride and probably not going anywhere unless there are more rule changes which they have done to encourage more 3pt shooting by moving the line in in 94, then moving it back in 97.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html

Return to Miami Heat