ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 78

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#301 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I think Edeys lack of defensive versatility will cause him to be drafted late 1st round.

We def can look at any prospect in this draft and pick them apart. Edey is not much of passer or versatile defender. What else is he not good at?

As Heat fans, we can look at our roster and see guys 6'5" playing power positions. We can routinely see them outrebounded and completely reliant on jump shooting. When those two facets arent working, what do we have? Blowouts.

Id love to see the Heat invest in multiple big men. Heck, if we drafted 2 bigs, then wed finally have 2 bigs on our roster.

One of my favorite things about Jaquez is his ability to apply rim pressure and bail out the offense when the 3s or Bam's mid range isn't falling. I see Edey being able to do the same with his size and post skill alone. I'm not expecting him to get a million touches, just help out the team and stop the run when there's a lid on the rim. And then out rebound and deter the other team's big men from just running through us. We have the defenders to disrupt the other team when they try to pick and roll him to death.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,834

Post#302 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:25 pm

Edey isn’t going to last in the nba
#FreeBam
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,903

Post#303 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:30 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I think Edeys lack of defensive versatility will cause him to be drafted late 1st round.

We def can look at any prospect in this draft and pick them apart. Edey is not much of passer or versatile defender. What else is he not good at?

As Heat fans, we can look at our roster and see guys 6'5" playing power positions. We can routinely see them outrebounded and completely reliant on jump shooting. When those two facets arent working, what do we have? Blowouts.

Id love to see the Heat invest in multiple big men. Heck, if we drafted 2 bigs, then wed finally have 2 bigs on our roster.

When a player is going to be assigned to take up the most important and valuable real estate on the basketball court--and the same real estate that our 2 best players prefer to operate in--then it becomes pretty important to assess what else they can do and what they'd be deficient at in doing so. Cost-benefit analysis really. I think it's an exercise that is EXTREMELY important in assessing any player but especially one like Edey.

It would inherently require Bam and Jimmy to alter their game and adjust if we wanted to get the most out of it. It's not ideal, but it's what Miami is working with.

Who are the dominant paint-dwelling centers in today's game and who do they play alongside?
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,504

Post#304 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:31 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Edey isn’t going to last in the nba

Why do you suggest this? Because its a small mans game now?

Edey would get buckets as easy as Jokic. The league is built for him to take advantage of it. He shoots a ton of FTs as hes only stopped by fouling.

You need someone who can get a bucket down low when theres five minute dry spells. Cant just keep chucking as we like to do.

I think hed make many change their minds about what it actually takes to win games.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#305 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:41 pm

DayofMourning wrote:

Edey would get buckets as easy as Jokic. The league is built for him to take advantage of it. He shoots a ton of FTs as hes only stopped by fouling.

You need someone who can get a bucket down low when theres five minute dry spells. Cant just keep chucking as we like to do.

I think hed make many change their minds about what it actually takes to win games.

As easy as the most skilled center ever? Idk about that :lol:

He’s just not mobile or quick enough; he’s going to get run off the court every game. He’s a rough watch
#FreeBam
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

As easy as the most skilled center ever? Idk about that :lol:

He’s just not mobile or quick enough; he’s going to get run off the court every game. He’s a rough watch

Edey averaged 25 PPG on 14 FGA.....hes a bucket.

Jokic isnt mobile either. Hes notoriously bad about it.

As for most skilled ever......theres a long list of centers who were very skilled.

Bottom line, a 7'4" big man whos reknowned for his low post presence might help our stagnant offense stay in rhythm. Thats all bball boils down to anyways, staying in rhythm.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 78

Post#307 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:55 pm

Note: I am not expecting Edey to turn into some star for the heat. I just think he'd be a good role player at his best. We've had various big men in the Bam and Jimmy era that I wouldn't consider defensive savants or rain 3s like Curry. Bryant, Robinson, Zeller, Deadmon, Yurtseven, Leonard. In theory, they brought rebounding, finishing, and some rim protection. I think Edey could do what they did, but with more offensive skill, size, and potential to grow.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,903

Post#308 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:57 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:At some point, we need to stop with the defensive wings, we get them undrafted and polish them AKA, Haywood Highsmith. Lets go get a High scorer potential guy, high upside instead. Our ability to score is in shambles, were doing just fine on the defensive side.

Tidjane Salaun, Ja'Kobe Walter, Isaiah Collier, (Carlton) Bub Carrington seems to be some of the big boom or bust offensive players in our draft range. I personally like Bub Carrington the most.

I'm pretty intrigued by Bub Carrington

Scoring PG game at 6'5 with a legit wingspan. Averaged 14-5-4 as an 18 year old. His shot looks clean.

Seemed to do his work from deep and midrange. Would like to see more slashing upside and defensive prowess but as a scrawny 18 year old I can justify some of what's lacking.

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,319

Post#309 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 pm

Filipowski and Kelel Ware are the only draftable bigs for the Heat.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:One of my favorite things about Jaquez is his ability to apply rim pressure and bail out the offense when the 3s or Bam's mid range isn't falling. I see Edey being able to do the same with his size and post skill alone. I'm not expecting him to get a million touches, just help out the team and stop the run when there's a lid on the rim. And then out rebound and deter the other team's big men from just running through us. We have the defenders to disrupt the other team when they try to pick and roll him to death.

Pretty much it. We need someone who can get easy buckets. We have no one on the roster that can do that consistently.

Id like nothing else than to see us post up a big after weve given up a mini run and get two or three easy buckets in succession and immediately stop the momentum. We lose games because we go on huge scoring droughts and cant stop anyone at the rim. It kills us.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Filipowski and Kelel Ware are the only draftable bigs for the Heat.

Lets draft them both. Then add Chomche in the 2nd.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,253

Post#312 » by Wiltside » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:07 pm

Does Bam's added 3 ball now make it possible for us to draft somebody like Edey? OIbviously we'd be relying on Bam taking another leap with that shot over the offseason and consistently taking 3-4 of them a night. It's possible, which I didn't think would be the case earlier this year.

You can get away with a 7'4" anchor if Bam is playing all around wrecking ball on defense and not having to lock down the paint. Yes, I suppose teams will just make us switch and try and get Edey in the PnR, but the bloke is huge.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:22 pm

Wiltside wrote:Does Bam's added 3 ball now make it possible for us to draft somebody like Edey? OIbviously we'd be relying on Bam taking another leap with that shot over the offseason and consistently taking 3-4 of them a night. It's possible, which I didn't think would be the case earlier this year.

You can get away with a 7'4" anchor if Bam is playing all around wrecking ball on defense and not having to lock down the paint. Yes, I suppose teams will just make us switch and try and get Edey in the PnR, but the bloke is huge.

You just have to change the game plan. Edey would occupy an offensive and defensive position none of our guys do consistently.
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 559

Post#314 » by Lennyzinho » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 pm

Zach Edey has declared for the 2024 NBA draft.

"I felt like it was time," Edey said. "I showed that I'm a physical presence on offense this season," Edey said. "I also showed I can play defense. I can guard in space, even defend guards."

Edey is one of the most decorated players in college basketball history, the first to win unanimous National Player of the Year honors since Bill Walton in 1973. He led the nation in scoring at 24.9 points per game, and finished third in rebounding at 12.2.

ESPN ranks Edey as the 14th best prospect in the draft class.
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 559

Post#315 » by Lennyzinho » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Does Bam's added 3 ball now make it possible for us to draft somebody like Edey? OIbviously we'd be relying on Bam taking another leap with that shot over the offseason and consistently taking 3-4 of them a night. It's possible, which I didn't think would be the case earlier this year.

You just have to change the game plan. Edey would occupy an offensive and defensive position none of our guys do consistently.

TheRinger has us picking 17th so they gotta update their mock draft but they have us taking Edey.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

MIAMI HEAT
I am endlessly fascinated by the possibility of putting Edey next to a rim protector like Bam Adebayo. Edey could provide the beef inside, and Adebayo would provide two-way versatility. The fact that Bam has begun to shoot 3s (and has made just under half of them since the break) indicates that he could continue improving in that area. An interior force like Edey might be a perfect balance.

HEIGHT 7'3"
WEIGHT 306
AGE 22.1
WINGSPAN 7'11"
Massive center with a skill set that has transformed him from a fringe draft prospect to a potential lottery pick.

SHADES OF Ivica Zubac

PLUSES
Hard-to-stop interior scorer, not just because of his sheer size but also because of his skill and touch. He does a great job of using his massive frame to seal off positioning and make himself available for interior feeds. He doesn’t have advanced footwork, but his gigantic presence is enhanced by his agility.

Willingly embraces his role, whether playing limited minutes as an underclassman or running the offense through him as a junior and senior. Playing for the Canadian national team last summer, he fully took on responsibility as a screener, something Purdue doesn’t ask of him as often as post-ups.

Intelligent big man with a solid feel for playmaking out of double-teams. He isn’t a savant passer by any means, but he limits mistakes despite receiving so much attention from college defenses.

Keeps the ball high when he catches it near the rim, so he’s not prone to getting stripped.

With a soft touch on hook shots, he could possess standstill shooting upside from the baseline or the corners.

Imposing interior defender with the size and strength to battle against opposing bigs on the post and on the boards.

Durable. He has missed only one game in his college career, in 2022, due to an illness.

MINUSES
Limited defender when pulled away from the basket. He struggles to recover on pick-and-pops and often gets blown by on closeouts. NBA teams will target him even more than college teams do; granted, he’s made improvements in handling pressure at his current level.

Lacks a perimeter game aside from his screening. Though he has soft touch on floaters and a solid free throw percentage for a big, there is no indication that he will develop a spot-up jumper.

Can’t really play an up-and-down, high-tempo game since he’s slower footed in open space.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#316 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:15 am

Lennyzinho wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

TheRinger has us picking 17th so they gotta update their mock draft but they have us taking Edey.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

MIAMI HEAT
I am endlessly fascinated by the possibility of putting Edey next to a rim protector like Bam Adebayo. Edey could provide the beef inside, and Adebayo would provide two-way versatility. The fact that Bam has begun to shoot 3s (and has made just under half of them since the break) indicates that he could continue improving in that area. An interior force like Edey might be a perfect balance.

HEIGHT 7'3"
WEIGHT 306
AGE 22.1
WINGSPAN 7'11"
Massive center with a skill set that has transformed him from a fringe draft prospect to a potential lottery pick.

SHADES OF Ivica Zubac

PLUSES
Hard-to-stop interior scorer, not just because of his sheer size but also because of his skill and touch. He does a great job of using his massive frame to seal off positioning and make himself available for interior feeds. He doesn’t have advanced footwork, but his gigantic presence is enhanced by his agility.

Willingly embraces his role, whether playing limited minutes as an underclassman or running the offense through him as a junior and senior. Playing for the Canadian national team last summer, he fully took on responsibility as a screener, something Purdue doesn’t ask of him as often as post-ups.

Intelligent big man with a solid feel for playmaking out of double-teams. He isn’t a savant passer by any means, but he limits mistakes despite receiving so much attention from college defenses.

Keeps the ball high when he catches it near the rim, so he’s not prone to getting stripped.

With a soft touch on hook shots, he could possess standstill shooting upside from the baseline or the corners.

Imposing interior defender with the size and strength to battle against opposing bigs on the post and on the boards.

Durable. He has missed only one game in his college career, in 2022, due to an illness.

MINUSES
Limited defender when pulled away from the basket. He struggles to recover on pick-and-pops and often gets blown by on closeouts. NBA teams will target him even more than college teams do; granted, he’s made improvements in handling pressure at his current level.

Lacks a perimeter game aside from his screening. Though he has soft touch on floaters and a solid free throw percentage for a big, there is no indication that he will develop a spot-up jumper.

Can’t really play an up-and-down, high-tempo game since he’s slower footed in open space.

Hes just got ridiculous production with ELITE size and length. He would lose weight with the Heat and gain some mobility.

He moves decent for a guy that big. Wembys is a group of one with movement skills at that height.

Hes Shaq on O though. You need to get it down low and let him work. Thats a philosphy though. Not the Heats based on what weve seen with Spo though.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,371

Post#317 » by twix2500 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:22 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Filipowski and Kelel Ware are the only draftable bigs for the Heat.

I like both Filipowski and Ware. I am just so skeptic on how much Spo really gonna utilize a center, that it will actually be worth it. Next season you have to expect Jovic minutes to double, so you need another defensive big next to him when Bam goes to the bench. So as currently constructed I would rather have Ware.

I havent recognize a player with elite scoring talent yet in this draft except for Collier. I havent looked at everyone yet but so far all iv seen is complimentary role players in this draft.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#318 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:29 am

twix2500 wrote:

I like both Filipowski and Ware. I am just so skeptic on how much Spo really gonna utilize a center, that it will actually be worth it. Next season you have to expect Jovic minutes to double, so you need another defensive big next to him when Bam goes to the bench. So as currently constructed I would rather have Ware.

I havent recognize a player with elite scoring talent yet in this draft except for Collier. I havent looked at everyone yet but so far all iv seen is complimentary role players in this draft.

Im interested in your take on Colliers elite scoring talent. He had a rough year compared to expectations.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#319 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 am

Being dominant in college doesn’t mean it’s going to translate to the NBA. More times than not over the last 20 years the wooden award winner is either ass or an average role player on the league.

If Edey is in the league or at least in a rotation in 5 years I’ll be shocked
#FreeBam
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#320 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Being dominant in college doesn’t mean it’s going to translate to the NBA. More times than not over the last 20 years the wooden award winner is either ass or an average role player on the league.

If Edey is in the league or at least in a rotation in 5 years I’ll be shocked

Its on a case by case basis. I do believe if Edey is played the way he should be that you can accomodate for that and become a successful team. He has distinct size advantages that other teams wont be able to account for. Its an edge.

Return to Miami Heat