ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 146,075

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#581 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 6, 2024 10:56 pm

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/tristan-da-silva-thrives-doing-the

Everything in this writeup screams Miami Heat player. This is the type of player they fall in love with. Luckily for us he’s 6’9 and has a 3 ball.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,422

Post#582 » by Wiltside » Mon May 6, 2024 11:33 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/tristan-da-silva-thrives-doing-the

Everything in this writeup screams Miami Heat player. This is the type of player they fall in love with. Luckily for us he’s 6’9 and has a 3 ball.

He sounds like a bigger Caleb Martin tbh. He definitely screams Miami Heat pick, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's who we call at #15.

Personally, I'd probably rather we grab one of the guard options. I just think we're lacking in on ball creativity and point of attack defense, so McCain or Carter would be my preference for that reason. But I can see the appeal with da Silva. He's a good size for a 4 man in our system, and the %'s are legit.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,248

Post#583 » by rate_ » Mon May 6, 2024 11:36 pm

Heat need to get bigger in the lineup. Draft da Silva & and get a solid backup big that can guard 3-5; Move Jimmy back to SG:

PG Rozier (6'1)
SG Jimmy (6'7)
SF da Silva (6'9)
PF Jovic (6'10)
C Bam (6'9)
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81,021

Post#584 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 7, 2024 12:07 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Hey, weve all had them.

I was a Nassir Little fan.

Panda was an Ivan Rabb fan.

Iggie was a Kevin Huerter fan.

Twix jinxed us that one year where he started the draft thread with Precious Achiuwa.

It's why we all have fun posting in here, over the years, guys I totally stood behind picked by other teams have been absolute dog **** and guys I totally ignored panned into something great. If I was to take a guess on percentage of accuracy overall Id say I pick a good candidate 10%-15% of the time that's with me reading every damn scouting report, watching video content on them, reading up on their interviews. Being a scout has got to be a hard job to do, I am sure those guys have tendencies they know pan out we can't even begin to spot with our uneducated professional eyes. Plus its never one person making a decision here, Id say its a panel of scouts and FO managers putting their input into these decisions during draft night.

It definitely must be hard as hell to be a scout, its such a crap shoot on how well a player develops. A team's coaching, the organization, the era they play in, the roster make up, the players they face, the location, the motivation of the player, the people in the player's lives, what they do with suddenly becoming a millionaire, etc. All of these can stabilize or derail a player's career. And on top of that you gotta fight your personal biases on what kind of players you like. Even with scouts I respect, I hear them talking about certain players and I'm like "You really like big forwards don't you? Not every 6'9" lightskin wing is Michael Porter Jr. ".

Personally, I KNOW i have a bad habit of being either pessimistic if buzz around a prospect is too positive or optimistic if it is too negative. If they're being compared to multiple time allstars or hall of famers, I especially get pessimistic because those level of players don't just fall in your lap. But if people count out productive players before they are even drafted, I get optimistic. They were balling at this level, I am sure they can get some of it to transfer at the NBA level in the right situation.

We can see all the available media.

What we dont see is how hard they work behind the scenes, or the between the ears stuff. This is VERY important.

Beasley failed between the ears.

Winslow apparently didnt even work out for us....wtf.

Precious is on Spo. Small ball, wacky bukacky scheme fit.

Bam apparently went psycho is his workouts and gave the entire org a stiffy.

Herro probably hit 99 out of 100 jumpers during a shooting session.

I think weve singled out some studs in our pick range. We can get someone good this year. Silva and Carter scream Heat to me.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#585 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 12:18 am

Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/tristan-da-silva-thrives-doing-the

He sounds like a bigger Caleb Martin tbh. He definitely screams Miami Heat pick, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's who we call at #15.

Personally, I'd probably rather we grab one of the guard options. I just think we're lacking in on ball creativity and point of attack defense, so McCain or Carter would be my preference for that reason. But I can see the appeal with da Silva. He's a good size for a 4 man in our system, and the %'s are legit.

Replacing Martin and Highsmith with da Silva would be a really nice upgrade.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#586 » by Wiltside » Tue May 7, 2024 12:23 am

What I like about Carter and McCain is that they are both good rebounders and have good size/strength as PG's.

A lineup featuring:

McCain
Butler
Jaquez
Jovic
Adebayo

Doesn't look that undersized, despite the lack of a 7 footer. Hell, Niko could potentially still be growing and may hit 6'11-7 feet.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81,021

Post#587 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 7, 2024 12:30 am

Wiltside wrote:What I like about Carter and McCain is that they are both good rebounders and have good size/strength as PG's.

A lineup featuring:

McCain
Butler
Jaquez
Jovic
Adebayo

Doesn't look that undersized, despite the lack of a 7 footer. Hell, Niko could potentially still be growing and may hit 6'11-7 feet.

Devin Carter
Jaime
Jovic
Bam
Kel'el Ware

Im tugging the tadger for this one to come to fruition.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#588 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 12:34 am

Wiltside wrote:What I like about Carter and McCain is that they are both good rebounders and have good size/strength as PG's.

A lineup featuring:

McCain
Butler
Jaquez
Jovic
Adebayo

I want size with this pick. I’m fine bringing back 6’5 Delon Wright on minimum to backup Rozier and get a guard in the second rd.

SLEEPER ALERT

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,593

Post#589 » by twix2500 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:53 am

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#590 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 2:20 am

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
It's why we all have fun posting in here, over the years, guys I totally stood behind picked by other teams have been absolute dog **** and guys I totally ignored panned into something great. If I was to take a guess on percentage of accuracy overall Id say I pick a good candidate 10%-15% of the time that's with me reading every damn scouting report, watching video content on them, reading up on their interviews. Being a scout has got to be a hard job to do, I am sure those guys have tendencies they know pan out we can't even begin to spot with our uneducated professional eyes. Plus its never one person making a decision here, Id say its a panel of scouts and FO managers putting their input into these decisions during draft night.

It definitely must be hard as hell to be a scout, its such a crap shoot on how well a player develops. A team's coaching, the organization, the era they play in, the roster make up, the players they face, the location, the motivation of the player, the people in the player's lives, what they do with suddenly becoming a millionaire, etc. All of these can stabilize or derail a player's career. And on top of that you gotta fight your personal biases on what kind of players you like. Even with scouts I respect, I hear them talking about certain players and I'm like "You really like big forwards don't you? Not every 6'9" lightskin wing is Michael Porter Jr. ".

Personally, I KNOW i have a bad habit of being either pessimistic if buzz around a prospect is too positive or optimistic if it is too negative. If they're being compared to multiple time allstars or hall of famers, I especially get pessimistic because those level of players don't just fall in your lap. But if people count out productive players before they are even drafted, I get optimistic. They were balling at this level, I am sure they can get some of it to transfer at the NBA level in the right situation.

What we dont see is how hard they work behind the scenes, or the between the ears stuff. This is VERY important.

I think weve singled out some studs in our pick range. We can get someone good this year. Silva and Carter scream Heat to me.

Silva and Carter will nail there workouts and interviews with us. They seem bullseye obvious. Ware will have some work to do with us. He also had some nagging injuries last year.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#591 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 7, 2024 2:48 am

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

Winslow is why if a highly touted player drops to us unexpectedly, I don't want em. Go for your guy and the ones you actually know about not just hype.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#592 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 2:56 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Winslow is why if a highly touted player drops to us unexpectedly, I don't want em. Go for your guy and the ones you actually know about not just hype.

Got burned by Winslow and Achuiwa. We liked Maxey but I actually think they had worked out Quickley privately and he did great. Achuiwa slipped and rest is history. Front office becomes suckered by mock drafts apparently lol
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 17,012

Post#593 » by IceColdCubano » Tue May 7, 2024 2:59 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Got burned by Winslow and Achuiwa. We liked Maxey but I actually think they had worked out Quickley privately and he did great. Achuiwa slipped and rest is history. Front office becomes suckered by mock drafts apparently lol

Agreed, just trust you gut, intuition and all the research you have done to date. Get the guy you have at top of your list, let somebody else miss on their pick going for the sliding dud.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#594 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue May 7, 2024 3:01 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Agreed, just trust you gut, intuition and all the research you have done to date. Get the guy you have at top of your list, let somebody else miss on their pick going for the sliding dud.

“Quickley, in fact, has interviewed twice with Miami, according to a source”

This made me sad researching our Quickley interest before draft.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#595 » by Wiltside » Tue May 7, 2024 12:23 pm

Here’s something for you.

Prospect 1: 14.0ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.5apg, 1.1spg, 0.3bpg, 1.6tpg, 46.2%FG, 35.5% 3FG (1.6/4.6), 93.5%FT (2.4/2.5) in 32.0mpg. 6’5” and 195lbs.

Prospect 2: 14.3ppg, 5.0rog, 1.9apg, 1.1spg, 0.1bpg, 1.3tpg, 46.2% FG, 41.4% 3FG (2.4/5.8), 88.5%FT (2.1/2.4) in 31.5mpg. 6’3” and 197lbs.

Who are the 2 prospects?
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,373

Post#596 » by HeatIn5 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:53 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
HeatIn5 wrote:I think as of right now Isaiah Collier is my hope at 15.

Jared McClain right there too

Where you been buddy?

Tank has mocked us both recently.

Yo yo! Had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life and was asked to co-host a Dolphins podcast so that’s been taking up the majority of my bandwidth.

But definitely been lurking and trying to have more time for the heat (though the panthers make that difficult)
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#597 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 7, 2024 1:21 pm

Wiltside wrote:Here’s something for you.

Prospect 1: 14.0ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.5apg, 1.1spg, 0.3bpg, 1.6tpg, 46.2%FG, 35.5% 3FG (1.6/4.6), 93.5%FT (2.4/2.5) in 32.0mpg. 6’5” and 195lbs.

Prospect 2: 14.3ppg, 5.0rog, 1.9apg, 1.1spg, 0.1bpg, 1.3tpg, 46.2% FG, 41.4% 3FG (2.4/5.8), 88.5%FT (2.1/2.4) in 31.5mpg. 6’3” and 197lbs.

Who are the 2 prospects?

The 2nd one I am pretty sure is Jared McCain. The first one I dont know, Bud Carrington? Its not Collier, he's like 20 lbs heavier.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#598 » by Wiltside » Tue May 7, 2024 1:26 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:

Who are the 2 prospects?

The 2nd one I am pretty sure is Jared McCain. The first one I dont know, Bud Carrington? It’s not Collier, he's like 20 lbs heavier.

Correct on McCain. The first one is tricky, it was Tyler Herro’s freshman season at Kentucky.

Offensively, their numbers look very similar. McCain though has a rep as a point of attack defender and most likely, has longer wingspan.

Would be something to shed Herro and acquire another piece, while bringing in McCain who could arguably develop into something similar offensively but able to play both ends.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#599 » by lastb1ckman » Tue May 7, 2024 1:45 pm

Wiltside wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Who are the 2 prospects?

The 2nd one I am pretty sure is Jared McCain. The first one I dont know, Bud Carrington? It’s not Collier, he's like 20 lbs heavier.

Correct on McCain. The first one is tricky, it was Tyler Herro’s freshman season at Kentucky.

Offensively, their numbers look very similar. McCain though has a rep as a point of attack defender and most likely, has longer wingspan.

Would be something to shed Herro and acquire another piece, while bringing in McCain who could arguably develop into something similar offensively but able to play both ends.

I am not seeing much online about a wingspan yet, outside McCain's being a bit short. The combine will have to tell us for sure. Him being a new Tyler Herro does seem like a good comparison, especially with his pull up 3s in transition and knack for rebounding. I'm not sure we need to draft another Herro tho. Its not guaranteed he'd be even as effective as Herro is now.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,593

Post#600 » by twix2500 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:21 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

I am not seeing much online about a wingspan yet, outside McCain's being a bit short. The combine will have to tell us for sure. Him being a new Tyler Herro does seem like a good comparison, especially with his pull up 3s in transition and knack for rebounding. I'm not sure we need to draft another Herro tho. Its not guaranteed he'd be even as effective as Herro is now.

You will get players measurements May 12 and 13th at the combine. Some players went to the combine last year so they have measuments like Da Silva was at the combine and got measured last year.

Return to Miami Heat