ImageImageImage

Miami Heat 2023/2024 Regular Season - Thread 3.0

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,088

Re: Miami Heat 2023/2024 Regular Season - Thread 3.0 

Post#1981 » by greg4012 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:53 pm

twix2500 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
This year the Heat are 20th in the league in the frequency of their plays being Pick N Roll. The Hornets were first in frequency. I do not see Spo completely changing the offense midseason. Most likely adds Rozier into the current sets they have in place.

If they want to increase their pnr sets. May likely have to play Duncan and Herro together a lot to open the paint

The Heat are 8th in post up offensive frequency because of Jaime, Bam and Butler. Been kind of their bread and butter

Makes sense--especially with Miami having no ballhandler that ranked top 30 in pick and roll efficiency (so basically the worst pick and roll ballhandler situation in the league). I would taper down pick and roll usage in that scenario, also.

I attribute at least some of that to the fact that Lowry almost never looked to cross the 3-point line. NBA tracking has Lowry averaging 2 possessions per game as a pick and roll handler (around 108th in the league).

Last year Miami was 15th in pick and roll frequency at 18.3 possessions (17% of possessions) during the regular season, but jumped to the highest frequency in the playoffs of any team that advanced past round 1 (2nd highest possessions per game overall)--23.1 possessions per game (21.8% of possessions). The trend with Miami leaning heavier on pick and roll in the playoffs tracks in the 2021-2022 playoffs, as well (once again 2nd in frequency).

I think the personnel change will push Miami closer to league average in pick and roll usage--and I again expect it to be an important staple for post-season play, as that is when Spo puts an end to the experiments and developmental approach he often employs in the regular season.

I can see that because it becomes the Jimmy Butler show and Spo defaults to pnr when he doesn't know what to do

That's one way to project assumptions to it
inhabitMiami
Junior
And1: 494

Re: Miami Heat 2023/2024 Regular Season - Thread 3.0 

Post#1982 » by inhabitMiami » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:54 pm

That account saying Terry is playing is fake btw

Return to Miami Heat