ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 5.0 - Somebody save us

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 5.0 - Somebody save us 

Post#1961 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:08 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spo fell in love with Delon last night, it’s going to take a lot to get him out of the rotation I would think

He is a better fit than Rozier if were being honest, fundamentally an elite defender at the point of attack, ball hawk, chaos inducer, shot blocker for his size, great recovery speed, and lateral movement. High iq ball handler makes winning plays, doesn't do anything fancy, doesn't pass without intention which is why he has such a low turnover to assist ratio. If capable of hitting open 3pts when presented you couldn't ask for a better plug and play guy at the PG.

The move should have been Delon Wright and a top level PF starter next to Bam. The pick wasted on Rozier I wish would have gone to a top level PF instead.

Jrich and Delon together at the 1 & 2 don't think that won't happen for stretches in the 4th quarter during a clamp down session. Where you have Delon, Jrich, Jimmy, Caleb, Bam to strangle a team on a run. I can totally see us scoring off defense with that lineup.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,094

Post#1962 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:11 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spo fell in love with Delon last night, it’s going to take a lot to get him out of the rotation I would think

He is a better fit than Rozier if were being honest, fundamentally an elite defender at the point of attack, ball hawk, chaos inducer, shot blocker for his size, great recovery speed, and lateral movement. High iq ball handler makes winning plays, doesn't do anything fancy, doesn't pass without intention which is why he has such a low turnover to assist ratio. If capable of hitting open 3pts when presented you couldn't ask for a better plug and play guy at the PG.

The move should have been Delon Wright and a top level PF starter next to Bam. The pick wasted on Rozier I wish would have gone to a top level PF instead.

Jrich and Delon together at the 1 & 2 don't think that won't happen for stretches in the 4th quarter during a clamp down session. Where you have Delon, Jrich, Jimmy, Caleb, Bam to strangle a team on a run. I can totally see us scoring off defense with that lineup.

I’m still excited about Rozier and I think he puts it all together, we went from that bum Lowry being the only PG on the team to now have Rozier and Wright who are both better than him so that alone makes me happy.

I do wonder though had they know Delon was coming if they would’ve sent Lowry and a 1st out for Grant instead or something like that
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1963 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:13 pm

Wright defends a lot like Dipo, not as quick laterally or just period really but he’s very handsy, very smart about it too he’s not just out there hacking and swinging at everything. My tweet with the Spo video above didn’t load with it but it was Delon and Highsmith leading us in deflections last night with 4 each. He was very disruptive and hit super timely shots last night, 2 huge back to back 3s
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#1964 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:18 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I’m still excited about Rozier and I think he puts it all together, we went from that bum Lowry being the only PG on the team to now have Rozier and Wright who are both better than him so that alone makes me happy.

I do wonder though had they know Delon was coming if they would’ve sent Lowry and a 1st out for Grant instead or something like that

They went after Delon, from a trade perspective, however nothing manifested, I think Delon's interview said his Agent said Miami tried to get him through a trade but it didn't manifest, they settled for the buyout later. I think Miami's plan was exactly that, they go cheap on the PG spot but fits wonderfully and then buy expensive on the PF spot. Rozier became available I believe and they jumped on it, Ive never seen this FO make a trade so early in the trade deadline their usually shopping in the wee hours the day before or hours before. That tells me that the offer was presented, and he was also being shopped elsewhere, they had PTSD about losing out an opportunity waiting for another and made the decision. I am sure we weren't the only ones bidding in for him at the time.
MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,253

Post#1965 » by MorbidHEAT » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:33 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now averaging 27-12-6-1.5-1.5 on 56% shooting when Jimmy and Herro don’t play. 3-1 in those 4 games. When Caps number is called, Cap delivers!

If he plays like that, and I’m not talking about the scoring, I’ll never say anything about him again. I would like for him to be absolutely as aggressive at all times. I can deal with him missing a bunch of shots in any given game, but passive Bam is my least favorite Bam.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,088

Post#1966 » by greg4012 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:34 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Delon def showed why many thought the add was more valuable than what many would assume from someone with his basic counting stats on a sh*t team like Washington should be.

But, I'm not a believer in the "what should have been" line of thinking. Delon is a nice JRich replacement (in role) and potential upgrade. People always talking about this "top level PF starter" next to Bam as if there are an abundance of them available for the picking. I'm all for adding talent and bolstering the big man rotation so it's not all on Bam. But, there needs to be a real asset attainable on the market for a price that makes sense to actually lament the "what should have been". Someone like PJ Washington could fit well with Bam. But, if we're being real he won't be a skeleton key that answers the questions on offense that have been haunting Miami this season and through the last 2. I'm not even sure he moves the needle on that front compared to the current PF rotation.

Delon is a more seamless fit to slot in as a low-usage role player. That's why I've been championing him on this squad since the offseason.

But, Terry is still a valuable addition of skillset that this team will NEED to be its best. It's just a matter of it taking more time to make the whole of his game work and have him fit into the role. Miami NEEDS someone in the guard rotation that is a true scoring threat that can both punish teams from the perimeter AND create offense by getting into the paint. You see how much every defense gets into our players bodies to stop all ball movement and offensive movement when Miami is lacking threats to beat a defender 1-on-1 off the dribble and get into the paint and either score or collapse a defense.

Yes, there are some redundancies with Herro and Rozier that need to be sorted out
MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,253

Post#1967 » by MorbidHEAT » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:36 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Wright defends a lot like Dipo, not as quick laterally or just period really but he’s very handsy, very smart about it too he’s not just out there hacking and swinging at everything. My tweet with the Spo video above didn’t load with it but it was Delon and Highsmith leading us in deflections last night with 4 each. He was very disruptive and hit super timely shots last night, 2 huge back to back 3s

Mentioning Dipo makes me sad. lol

That defensive game he has against Boston in the ECF where he stripped Jaylen and Tatum like 4 or 5 times will forever be in my memory.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1968 » by greg4012 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:37 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Wright defends a lot like Dipo, not as quick laterally or just period really but he’s very handsy, very smart about it too he’s not just out there hacking and swinging at everything. My tweet with the Spo video above didn’t load with it but it was Delon and Highsmith leading us in deflections last night with 4 each. He was very disruptive and hit super timely shots last night, 2 huge back to back 3s

Honestly could be a better fit offensively than the version of Dipo we had too IMO. He's not going to be someone to depend on for offensive generation, but he's also not gonna be someone doing nothing to contribute to offense or getting tunnel vision trying to score at a low percentage either.

Wright could settle into being a ~20 mpg punch of defensive impact without any negative offense that slots very well into the role playing combo guard role.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1969 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:41 pm

MorbidHEAT wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now averaging 27-12-6-1.5-1.5 on 56% shooting when Jimmy and Herro don’t play. 3-1 in those 4 games. When Caps number is called, Cap delivers!

If he plays like that, and I’m not talking about the scoring, I’ll never say anything about him again. I would like for him to be absolutely as aggressive at all times. I can deal with him missing a bunch of shots in any given game, but passive Bam is my least favorite Bam.

Unfortunately it’s going to come down to schematics and I think at full strength he’s not going to be super involved scoring wise, his numbers usually drop this time of the year when Jimmy decides it’s time to turn it up. For example he has 4 points on 3 shots in the first half against the pelicans then Jimmy got ejected and he finishes with 24.

We’ll see though, maybe it’s different this season
#FreeBam
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1970 » by greg4012 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:44 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MorbidHEAT wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Unfortunately it’s going to come down to schematics and I think at full strength he’s not going to be super involved scoring wise, his numbers usually drop this time of the year when Jimmy decides it’s time to turn it up. For example he has 4 points on 3 shots in the first half against the pelicans then Jimmy got ejected and he finishes with 24.

Coup's recent piece should be required writing on this subject:

https://www.nba.com/heat/news/coup-notebook-70-adebayo-pendulum-delon-wrights-hands-the-zion-zone-and-jimmy-butlers-club-access

TBH Coup's work should be required reading for any Heat fans that spend as much time as us discussing this stuff lol
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1971 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:44 pm

greg4012 wrote:

Honestly could be a better fit offensively than the version of Dipo we had too IMO. He's not going to be someone to depend on for offensive generation, but he's also not gonna be someone doing nothing to contribute to offense or getting tunnel vision trying to score at a low percentage either.

Wright could settle into being a ~20 mpg punch of defensive impact without any negative offense that slots very well into the role playing combo guard role.

I’m pretty excited about the signing, last night confirmed what I thought we were going to be getting from Delon. Solid shooting, great disruptive defense, and very smart/efficient playmaking with 5 assists and 0 turnovers. Just straight impact on winning
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1972 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm

greg4012 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MorbidHEAT wrote:

Coup's recent piece should be required writing on this subject:

https://www.nba.com/heat/news/coup-notebook-70-adebayo-pendulum-delon-wrights-hands-the-zion-zone-and-jimmy-butlers-club-access

TBH Coup's work should be required reading for any Heat fans that spend as much time as us discussing this stuff lol

Coup kills it, specifically when it comes to Bam and his defense for DPOY. Unfortunately he may never get the credit he deserves there. Makes it even more frustrating knowing he should have at minimum 1 by now but Wemby is about to own that award on a yearly basis when the Spurs get good lol. Voters LOVE stocks
#FreeBam
jbsays
Junior
And1: 380

Post#1973 » by jbsays » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 pm

So who is the big the Heat could have realistically got at the deadline that would have helped? It doesn't seem like they wanted to move Duncan or Herro, so it was basically Lowry's contract being moved or a buy out. And Lowry's contract was huge.

Return to Miami Heat