ImageImageImage

MIEMI HEATS V. SIXERS, 2/14, 7PM, LETS GO!!

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,337

Re: MIEMI HEATS V. SIXERS, 2/14, 7PM, LETS GO!! 

Post#221 » by AirP. » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:00 am

Bourne85 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
It’s not that deep man. It was a terrible shot. Too much time left on the shot clock. Duncan was open in the corner. Herro was not open at all. He rushed it and wanted to put the game away and be the “hero”. And it nearly cost us. Herro takes 20 shots to get his 20 points. It’s bad inefficient basketball. He needs to improve big time. Doesn’t matter much in a game in February, I’m sure Spo will speak to him about it as this cannot happen in the playoffs.

It's a history of bad shots that I keep complaining about and people just ignore, at some point it's going to cost the team in the playoffs. This is the same person who had a meeting with his coach (Spoelstra) after a game to talk about his bad shot selection, the very next game he took even worse shots and had a horrible shooting percentage for that game.

If Spo didn’t like how Herro was playing, he wouldn’t be playing. Most of the shots Herro is missing are really shots he can easily be making. Missing open 3s, missing floaters and layups. It’s not like he’s taking Kobeesque shots over a bunch of defenders lol. The last one he just went way too early but he is the only guy that can create his own shot right now so he went. He needs to reel it in a bit sure but imo he’s playing fine, he’s just not as efficient as I’d like. Missing really easy shots.

They were short handed the game I'm talking about the bad shots after the meeting the announcers talked about. He's finally climbed past Highsmith up to 12th on the roster in TS% and 15th on the roster for calculated ORTG, yeah, his efficiency is a problem but it's masked by getting points without most realizing how many shots he's taking to get those points.

Could be worse...
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 937

Post#222 » by Pokuokic » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:29 am

This is a better win than the Bucks, against the Bucks everything was going Miami's way( in this game only Durag Duncan, Herro (horrific shot with 8 seconds left on the shot clock my god), Bam and JJJ showed up and Philly seemed to have the momentum the whole game but the Heat scraped for it Bam and JJJ made huge plays.

2nd night of a back to back it's hard to get up for a injured Philly team and it was not that long ago a fully healthy Miami team got schooled by the Grizzlies. This win is way better than people think

Also whoever said Durag Duncan needs to start was on the money the guy has earned the starting spot these last 2. Rozier should be the 6th man and let him do his dribbling stuff off the bench.
VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 692

Post#223 » by VaDe255 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:13 am

I understand some concerns people have about Herro, but I think the criticism towards him might be a bit harsh. Yes, he has had moments of questionable shot selection, but let's not overlook the significant role he plays in the offense, especially when orchestrating pick and rolls with Bam. His ability to drive and create open looks for teammates highlights his evolving court vision and passing skills, which have been crucial for the team and especially in todays win.

It's true that Herro is still ironing out mistakes and striving to reach that star level status. However, it's evident that his shot selection has improved considerably since the season's beginning. We're seeing a strategic increase in three-point attempts and drives that result in a good pass, effort to score in the paint or at the rim.

Herro has proven to be more than just a shooter and a very skilled offensive player with few weaknesses on that end. His versatility in scoring, from perimeter shots, in the mid range and drives to create for team mates or finishing at the rim, alongside his ability to play both on and off the ball, underscores his value in modern NBA offensive schemes.

While there's always room for improvement, Herro's contributions should not be overshadowed by periods of inefficiency. His development and impact on the game are clear indications of his potential and importance to the Heat.
iamoti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,453

Post#224 » by iamoti » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:14 am

I actually think Herro had one of his best games of the season. Even if his 3s weren't falling he impacted the game a lot. Just imagine how his stat line would have looked if 2 of those 3s went in. Some of the passes were really impressive.
batterybro42
Rookie
And1: 1,522

Post#225 » by batterybro42 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 am

Tyler Herro strikes me as a player like Dame or Curry whose efficiency would increase with higher usage. I do think he can function as a 1 option on a team. How good that looks depends on a lot of things. I do hope to see him one day get an opportunity to attempt that role.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,817

Post#226 » by Hallstar » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm

AirP. wrote:
oreon wrote:
AirP. wrote:It was a ******* horrible shot, 8 seconds on the shot clock and 13 seconds left in the game. Worst case you put up a shot with a second or 2 left on the shot clock and if they don't get a clean rebound it might be over instead of giving them a chance of getting the possession with around 10 seconds left on the clock. How the **** can you defend that?

Lol why you swearing at me. Its interesting how much emotion Herro brings at ya'll. He had an open mid jumper, that's he's been making and team is up 3. So he took it, I don't mind. It's not like they've been generating good offense. They had been struggling to get good shots. Worse that happens is Sixers get rebound and make a 3 to tie the game.
The bigger mistake was the turnover up 2 possessions. That's one shouldn't happen.

I really dislike plays that can cost a team a nearly guaranteed win. It actually wasn't a normal stupid play; it was an ego play to try to ice the game instead of doing the right play. I knew once he got the ball he was shooting it and he did.

A smart coach will use that type of ego against Miami and at some point, and it's possibly going to cost Miami a very important game.

I happen to dislike players who play outside their skillset because of their ego. I refused to follow my local OKC Thunder team because of Westbrooks ego (taking shots away from KD and sometimes others), hated watching Wiggins jacking shots for no apparent reason in Minnesota other than to get another shot up and how I'm having to watch Herro do the same thing. All talented players who played outside their skillset and limited their team's success because of it.

I would have been upset at anyone taking that shot, if it's a dunk that's one thing, but a jumper?

When Herro got the ball, I knew he was taking the shot, I would have been highly surprised if he didn't.

If he played like you want him to, spam 3s and stay off ball we would've be blown out yesterday. Let the players who are actually winning the games do what they need to do. Despite missing a ton of 3s, his night didn't get "inefficient" until he was fouled on back to back possessions at the rim in the 4th that didn't get called.

So what are you gonna do, with Duncan starting to miss, he took the 1st open shot he got to put away the game. If he attacked the rim got fouled and a no call, you would be here talking about how he can't finish at the rim. It never ends.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#227 » by AirP. » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:32 pm

Hallstar wrote:
AirP. wrote:
oreon wrote:
Lol why you swearing at me. Its interesting how much emotion Herro brings at ya'll. He had an open mid jumper, that's he's been making and team is up 3. So he took it, I don't mind. It's not like they've been generating good offense. They had been struggling to get good shots. Worse that happens is Sixers get rebound and make a 3 to tie the game.
The bigger mistake was the turnover up 2 possessions. That's one shouldn't happen.

I really dislike plays that can cost a team a nearly guaranteed win. It actually wasn't a normal stupid play; it was an ego play to try to ice the game instead of doing the right play. I knew once he got the ball he was shooting it and he did.

A smart coach will use that type of ego against Miami and at some point, and it's possibly going to cost Miami a very important game.

I happen to dislike players who play outside their skillset because of their ego. I refused to follow my local OKC Thunder team because of Westbrooks ego (taking shots away from KD and sometimes others), hated watching Wiggins jacking shots for no apparent reason in Minnesota other than to get another shot up and how I'm having to watch Herro do the same thing. All talented players who played outside their skillset and limited their team's success because of it.

I would have been upset at anyone taking that shot, if it's a dunk that's one thing, but a jumper?

When Herro got the ball, I knew he was taking the shot, I would have been highly surprised if he didn't.

If he played like you want him to, spam 3s and stay off ball we would've be blown out yesterday. Let the players who are actually winning the games do what they need to do. Despite missing a ton of 3s, his night didn't get "inefficient" until he was fouled on back to back possessions at the rim in the 4th that didn't get called.

So what are you gonna do, with Duncan starting to miss, he took the 1st open shot he got to put away the game. If he attacked the rim got fouled and a no call, you would be here talking about how he can't finish at the rim. It never ends.

First of all, without a PG yes, his role changed, and I defended him in the first half which I'm sure you didn't notice. I'm talking about that horrific decision for the last shot for Miami, that could have given Philly a chance which shouldn't have ever happened. There was 8 seconds left on the shot clock, if the defense couldn't get a turnover, they wanted Miami to take a jumper (the further the better) to still have a chance, just think of it from the Miami perspective if they were on defense in the same situation you would have said thank you for making such a bad decision. Plain and simple you don't take the shot yet because time is on your side. At that point it's not about "making" the last shot, it's about running down the clock and getting a shot up with 1-2 seconds left. Just think about it in the reverse roles, the 2nd best thing happened for the defense that gave them a chance. You have to do what's best for the team.

Here's a link to the video of that shot, look at what actually happened, how he had in his head at almost halfcourt that he was going to look for his shot instead (and it was a difficult shot) of eating up time (he 100% was looking for his own shot once he got past the overplaying defenders) and NOTICE how 4 of Philly's defenders were in a position to get the rebound and LUCKILY it bounced in about the only place where Bam could have a shot at the rebound.

Here's the play on nba.com. It's worse than when I saw it the first time.

BTW, here's the advanced stats for Miami from last nights game sorted by ORTG, it's interesting. Just remember, Philly's previous low on points given up since losing Embiid was 111 to Washington, Miami scored 109.
Spoiler:

The good news, Miami should be able to pass Philly in the standings easily, without Embiid that defense is horrible.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,933

Post#228 » by Bishop45 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 pm

Not sure why Pacers let him go

Read on Twitter
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
VaDe255
Pro Prospect

Post#229 » by VaDe255 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:19 pm

AirP. wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
AirP. wrote:I really dislike plays that can cost a team a nearly guaranteed win. It actually wasn't a normal stupid play; it was an ego play to try to ice the game instead of doing the right play. I knew once he got the ball he was shooting it and he did.

First of all, without a PG yes, his role changed, and I defended him in the first half which I'm sure you didn't notice. I'm talking about that horrific decision for the last shot for Miami, that could have given Philly a chance which shouldn't have ever happened. There was 8 seconds left on the shot clock, if the defense couldn't get a turnover, they wanted Miami to take a jumper (the further the better) to still have a chance, just think of it from the Miami perspective if they were on defense in the same situation you would have said thank you for making such a bad decision. Plain and simple you don't take the shot yet because time is on your side. At that point it's not about "making" the last shot, it's about running down the clock and getting a shot up with 1-2 seconds left. Just think about it in the reverse roles, the 2nd best thing happened for the defense that gave them a chance. You have to do what's best for the team.

Here's a link to the video of that shot, look at what actually happened, how he had in his head at almost halfcourt that he was going to look for his shot instead (and it was a difficult shot) of eating up time (he 100% was looking for his own shot once he got past the overplaying defenders) and NOTICE how 4 of Philly's defenders were in a position to get the rebound and LUCKILY it bounced in about the only place where Bam could have a shot at the rebound.

BTW, here's the advanced stats for Miami from last nights game sorted by ORTG, it's interesting. Just remember, Philly's previous low on points given up since losing Embiid was 111 to Washington, Miami scored 109.
Spoiler:

The good news, Miami should be able to pass Philly in the standings easily, without Embiid that defense is horrible.

This is how the 4th quater stats look like, nobody really had it going and Duncan was 1/5 at that point.
Herro made some bad decisions at the end, but he also was running the offense for most of the quarter, there wasn't anyone else to do it.
Made some crucial shots and made some plays for his team mates, one was for a wide open HH 3 and an uncontested Bam dunk.

I don't see a reason to trash a guy for making a few mistakes when he took all that resposibility and is a major reason they got the win. He'll learn from those and be better next time, he just got 24 a month ago and he's not even supposed to be the first option but he was tonight.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,256

Post#230 » by greg4012 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:23 pm

MHeat0279 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:New Yuck got their asses kicked and Indy is down in the 4th

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

By the time playoffs come I imagine Brunson will be burned

Thibs special. His teams play 110% in regular season (and in the same exact style all season). No extra gear for playoffs, players running on fumes, minimal new looks to throw at teams once scouted.

He's a very capable coach, but it's a huge reason why he has a 4-5 year stint everywhere.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,412

Post#231 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:23 pm

Bishop45 wrote:Not sure why Pacers let him go

Read on Twitter

Wish we would’ve got him somehow, he’d be a super sub
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#232 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 pm

AirP. wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
AirP. wrote:I really dislike plays that can cost a team a nearly guaranteed win. It actually wasn't a normal stupid play; it was an ego play to try to ice the game instead of doing the right play. I knew once he got the ball he was shooting it and he did.

Spoiler:

Bams usage makes me fuxking sick
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#233 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:25 pm

batterybro42 wrote:Tyler Herro strikes me as a player like Dame or Curry whose efficiency would increase with higher usage. I do think he can function as a 1 option on a team. How good that looks depends on a lot of things. I do hope to see him one day get an opportunity to attempt that role.

He leads the team in shot attempts and usage, he’s been our 1st option in the regular season for a couple years now
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM

Post#234 » by AirP. » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:14 pm

VaDe255 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

This is how the 4th quater stats look like, nobody really had it going and Duncan was 1/5 at that point.
Herro made some bad decisions at the end, but he also was running the offense for most of the quarter, there wasn't anyone else to do it.
Made some crucial shots and made some plays for his team mates, one was for a wide open HH 3 and an uncontested Bam dunk.

I don't see a reason to trash a guy for making a few mistakes when he took all that resposibility and is a major reason they got the win. He'll learn from those and be better next time, he just got 24 a month ago and he's not even supposed to be the first option but he was tonight.

You do understand this is all because I dared to critique the last play/shot, up until then the only thing I did was defend Herro's shooting in the first half. His decision making in tight situations isn't all that good and I'd expect he's being talked about the shot clock management by someone. I think Herro did a lot of good things tonight, with that said, I think there should have been some expectation of a much better offensive night from him against that horrible Philly defense that was missing... Embiid, Harris and the defenders in Melton, Covington and Batum. Just looking at the last few games Philly has played they've given up...

T.Jones 25 pts, 9 ast on 14 FGA.
C.Thomas 40 pts, 5 ast on 26 FGA.
T.Young 37 pts, 12 asts on 21 FGA.
And of course last night...
Robinson 20 pts, 4 ast on 11 FGA.
Herro 23 pts, 7 asts on 23 FGA.

Herro shot around 43% while the rest of the team shot 49% last night and that includes a couple horrible performances from Caleb and Highsmith. If we want to talk whole game, C.Martin was probably the biggest disappointment on offense.

There's a problem with efficiency that people just refused to look at because he has a great looking shot and this team doesn't have much offensive talent which is on the FO.

On Herro not even supposed to be the first option, in the regular season Herro's been the first option for the last 3 seasons and we don't know about the playoffs because he's been hurt so often. He's heading towards his 3rd regular season in a row of taking more shots per game than Butler has every taken in a single season for his whole career. I just don't get all the defending of him against any real critique.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,628

Post#235 » by twix2500 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:41 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Read on Twitter

Posters on here shunned me years ago for talking about trading for Buddy when he was with the Kings. Instead they wanted Bjelica (another mythical stretch 4 savior). Amazing how now you guys go unscathed talking about him as a target :lol:
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#236 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:47 pm

twix2500 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Read on Twitter

Posters on here shunned years ago for talking about trading for Buddy when he was with the Kings. Instead they wanted Bjelica (another mythical stretch 4 savior). Amazing how now you guys go unscathed talking about him as a target :lol:

Don’t say you guys, I’m one person and I’ve never been against adding Buddy lol. I would’ve traded herro and picks for him and Turner gladly
#FreeBam
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,628

Post#237 » by twix2500 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:51 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Posters on here shunned me years ago for talking about trading for Buddy when he was with the Kings. Instead they wanted Bjelica (another mythical stretch 4 savior). Amazing how now you guys go unscathed talking about him as a target :lol:

Don’t say you guys, I’m one person and I’ve never been against adding Buddy lol. I would’ve traded herro and picks for him and Turner gladly

This was before you existed, this whole room threw rocks and stones at me. Eventually it comes full circle
VaDe255
Pro Prospect

Post#238 » by VaDe255 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:29 pm

AirP. wrote:
VaDe255 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

You do understand this is all because I dared to critique the last play/shot, up until then the only thing I did was defend Herro's shooting in the first half. His decision making in tight situations isn't all that good and I'd expect he's being talked about the shot clock management by someone. I think Herro did a lot of good things tonight, with that said, I think there should have been some expectation of a much better offensive night from him against that horrible Philly defense that was missing... Embiid, Harris and the defenders in Melton, Covington and Batum. Just looking at the last few games Philly has played they've given up...

Herro shot around 43% while the rest of the team shot 49% last night and that includes a couple horrible performances from Caleb and Highsmith. If we want to talk whole game, C.Martin was probably the biggest disappointment on offense.

There's a problem with efficiency that people just refused to look at because he has a great looking shot and this team doesn't have much offensive talent which is on the FO.

On Herro not even supposed to be the first option, in the regular season Herro's been the first option for the last 3 seasons and we don't know about the playoffs because he's been hurt so often. He's heading towards his 3rd regular season in a row of taking more shots per game than Butler has every taken in a single season for his whole career. I just don't get all the defending of him against any real critique.

I don't know why you are so negative.

First of all, HH showed incredible character and guts. He kept taking those 3s and not passing them up (I even saw Terry/Tyler start passing up good 3p opportunities, when they were missing), ended at 4/10 from 3 and had a solid offensive game with 16 pts on 57.6% TS, besides impacting the game on the defensive end.

When it comes to Tyler.
He is as complete of a player on offense as you can be in the modern game. Can score from anywhere on the field, is improving his playmaking skills every year and can play on/off the ball.

Yes, he has to work on making better decisions, which goes in hand with better shot selection and probably leaning on passing more. The good news, he only turned 24 a month ago and very likely will improve.

The only thing that remains for him is to get more effective and we're talking about small margins here, the difference between 55%TS shooting and lets say 58%TS isn't earth shatterring, it's around ~1 ppg on 20 shots.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#239 » by AirP. » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:52 pm

VaDe255 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
VaDe255 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I don't know why you are so negative.

First of all, HH showed incredible character and guts. He kept taking those 3s and not passing them up (I even saw Terry/Tyler start passing up good 3p opportunities, when they were missing), ended at 4/10 from 3 and had a solid offensive game with 16 pts on 57.6% TS, besides impacting the game on the defensive end.

When it comes to Tyler.
He is as complete of a player on offense as you can be in the modern game. Can score from anywhere on the field, is improving his playmaking skills every year and can play on/off the ball.

Yes, he has to work on making better decisions, which goes in hand with better shot selection and probably leaning on passing more. The good news, he only turned 24 a month ago and very likely will improve.

The only thing that remains for him is to get more effective and we're talking about small margins here, the difference between 55%TS shooting and lets say 58%TS isn't earth shatterring, it's around ~1 ppg on 20 shots.

One more point isn't quite 58% TS% but guess what, he's not done that in 5 years now. In reality he could currently get to that 58% TS% by taking less bad shots. Herro has a great shot which is why it's so frustrating that he isn't way more efficient then he is. All Herro has to do is have a good shot selection which is completely up to him way more than being able to make 1 more shot. Just doing this would help the team offensively overall. I do believe one day his ego will come down where he plays within his skillset and really helps a team be a better offensive team but now isn't currently that time.

The way people talk about Herro and this team you'd expect they're a great scoring team every game he's playing and the worst scoring team when he's not playing but this isn't the case at all. I absolutely understand there's a very efficient and highly productive player in Herro but his ego isn't going to let him play that way, he's just got to take that shot he shouldn't be taking.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 146,165

Post#240 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:54 pm

Gallo always chooses anyone but Miami. We need a good backup PG more anways.

Return to Miami Heat