ImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs: Round 1, Game 1 - MIA @ BOS 4/21 at 1pm EST

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,966

Re: 2024 Playoffs: Round 1, Game 1 - MIA @ BOS 4/21 at 1pm EST 

Post#561 » by KingDavid » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:13 pm

powerball1373 wrote:
dshearn wrote:
unowen85 wrote:Quite frankly, the playoff experience that the young guys are getting is more valuable than whatever the Celtics will get from beating us. So if you look at it like that, we’re the real winners.

I am not really anti-Jimmy....I love Jimmy....but I really think JJJ while being a worse version of Jimmy right now, already shows how he could end up a better version in the end...mostly because he is quicker to set up in the post and quicker to bail out if it is not there.

This is the type of thinking that results in disappointment. I'm a big fan of JJJ but expecting the possibility of 'a better version' of Jimmy is like hoping Herro can become Steve Nash. Unless you're only talking about the offensive side of the ball, but even then, that's a big ask.

I'm a dolphins fan; I am numb to disappointment now
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#562 » by Vertical Limit » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:44 pm

Lol Brian Scalabrine is a scumbag to think spo would actually call such a play.. nothing dirty with that play by caleb, just lost his momentum while tatum was in the air.. how do ypu draw something like that up? Idiot. And wtf was tatum doing in the game? Padding his playoff stats in garbage time?

Im not even mad about our performance, without butler, we dont belong.

I just hope we can rough up the celtics a bit as they advance to the next round.
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,966

Post#563 » by dshearn » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:44 pm

KingDavid wrote:
powerball1373 wrote:
dshearn wrote:
I am not really anti-Jimmy....I love Jimmy....but I really think JJJ while being a worse version of Jimmy right now, already shows how he could end up a better version in the end...mostly because he is quicker to set up in the post and quicker to bail out if it is not there.

This is the type of thinking that results in disappointment. I'm a big fan of JJJ but expecting the possibility of 'a better version' of Jimmy is like hoping Herro can become Steve Nash. Unless you're only talking about the offensive side of the ball, but even then, that's a big ask.

yeah.... sports in general is a disappointment unless you bandwagon from team to team...hell even Bama fans are about to get a heavy helping of disappointment.

Just to elaborate on my point that has caused our fellow posters to warn me about my misplaced faith in JJJ (appreciated btw amigos...I get where your warnings are coming from...yall are a good bunch of dudes)

I think Jimmy for the most part game in and game out is not an elite player.....we know he can be elite...but by and large he plays a role....

I dont think JJJ is Jimmy level, but I do think he can play the " inside Jimmy role" game in and game out...better then Jimmy does. I think he can set up and take his shot, or get rid of the ball faster then what we normally see from Jimmy...so in that sense he can play his part in the offense, but keep the offense moving

My favorite version of the Heat offense, is those games we end up with 30+ assists and the ball is flying all over the place...I dont like the ball stopping with tons of iso....So when I say a better version, I really mean from a stylistic point of view as a part of the next Heat roster that has a new alpha player.

not that I expect JJJ to eclipse Jimmy
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,859

Post#565 » by IceColdCubano » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 pm

Tyler Herro's value plummeting this series is absolutely the worse thing for this team moving forward. Trying to use him in any upcoming trades, it will ultimately cost them additional assets they wouldn't have to send out previously if he would just play up to his value.
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,657

Post#566 » by Rapaz » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:05 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:Tyler Herro's value plummeting this series is absolutely the worse thing for this team moving forward. Trying to use him in any upcoming trades, it will ultimately cost them additional assets they wouldn't have to send out previously if he would just play up to his value.

Rozier, Jovic, Jaquez, Highsmith, ORob and pick(s) is what you have to work with. A package built around Herro will be met with laughter around the league.
ImageImageImage
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,944

Post#567 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:09 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:Tyler Herro's value plummeting this series is absolutely the worse thing for this team moving forward. Trying to use him in any upcoming trades, it will ultimately cost them additional assets they wouldn't have to send out previously if he would just play up to his value.

Let’s get real he had no value before. Teams stay clear of players with red flags as seen last offseason. Just going to have to live with him for the next however many years he’s under contract with us. Hopefully we use some of those years to tank and do it the right way while not doling out any more picks.

At the end of the day, this build is done whether people want to admit it or not
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,296

Post#568 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,127

Post#569 » by eddieheatfan » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Rapaz wrote:

Rozier, Jovic, Jaquez, Highsmith, ORob and pick(s) is what you have to work with. A package built around Herro will be met with laughter around the league.
yeah
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,780

Post#570 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:25 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
Read on Twitter

At least we’ve found our backup PG for the next 2 years
#FreeBam
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,207

Post#571 » by dolphinatik » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:31 am

honestly we missed a ton of shots, everything was front rim. Whatever was going on the guys had no legs. It looked like everyone was nervous and scared except JJJ and Delon late. Hopefully Spo mixes it up and starts the players with energy, we know he wont.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
ZoStrong
Senior
And1: 846

Post#572 » by ZoStrong » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 am

Lol, was there much room to fall? And it's just one game. Let's just see next few games. Based on the play-in game, his stock may have skyrocketed! :lol: :lol:

Besides one man's trash is another man's treasure. Look Hawks trying to move on from Trash Young. Some here are salivating over him!
ZoStrong
Senior
And1: 846

Post#573 » by ZoStrong » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:43 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
TroubleS0me wrote:
Read on Twitter

At least we’ve found our backup PG for the next 2 years

Was wondering why he wasn't playing, but apparently he wasn't in HEAT shape, lol. Hope he stays for a few seasons
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,800

Post#574 » by marson » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:44 am

Wright is a keeper. Sign him for the mimimum vet next season
powerball1373
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,671

Post#575 » by powerball1373 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 am

[tweet][/tweet]
KingDavid wrote:
powerball1373 wrote:
dshearn wrote:

I know how you feel as a fellow Dolfan, but that's a whole different level - it's Stockholm Syndrome lol.

Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#576 » by Flash4thewin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:00 am

marson wrote:Wright is a keeper. Sign him for the mimimum vet next season

If he plays like this for the rest of the series, no way he resigns here unless we pay up. Nothing wrong with going for the money.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,780

Post#577 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:26 am

ZoStrong wrote:

Lol, was there much room to fall? And it's just one game. Let's just see next few games. Based on the play-in game, his stock may have skyrocketed! :lol: :lol:

Besides one man's trash is another man's treasure. Look Hawks trying to move on from Trash Young. Some here are salivating over him!

That might actually be a good swap for both sides fit wise lol we’d need to add more obviously but I bet Trae goes to the spurs or lakers
#FreeBam
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 924

Post#578 » by Pokuokic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:47 am

Spo needs to run Love on Zinger, Bam on Tatum/Brown and Jovic on Brown/Zinger at times line up, on offense that's heaps of spacing as well, Jovic's man to man D on Tatum/Brown was good his size bothered them as did Bam's they were cooking the smaller players (Highsmith/Herro/JJJ) your not going to stop Zinger shooting over people regardless so may as well have Love to stretch the floor.

Herro was beyond pathetic tonight
VaDe255
Senior
And1: 669

Post#579 » by VaDe255 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:42 am

There is a lot of data on Herro on what he is right now, which is what is going to matter when teams assess his value.
He isn't going to be judged on a few games, where he is playing a role he is not even supposed to play vs one of the top defenses in the league.

That said he was awful in that first game.
I put some of it down to fatigue from playing highly competetive 2 games and an early 3rd game (even less rest) in 6 days, where they traveled every time.

They'll look better in the 2nd game, but adjust your expectations.
Herro is supposed to be the primary ball handler, play maker and scorer, while he is also moving a ton off the ball (did all of it vs the Bulls). Only very few players in this league can do this and look good. He's also still learning the coverages that comes with being in that role, as he was 2nd or 3rd fiddle most of his career
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,859

Post#580 » by IceColdCubano » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:35 am

VaDe255 wrote:

There is a lot of data on Herro on what he is right now, which is what is going to matter when teams assess his value.
He isn't going to be judged on a few games, where he is playing a role he is not even supposed to play vs one of the top defenses in the league.

That said he was awful in that first game.
I put some of it down to fatigue from playing highly competetive 2 games and an early 3rd game (even less rest) in 6 days, where they traveled every time.

They'll look better in the 2nd game, but adjust your expectations.
Herro is supposed to be the primary ball handler, play maker and scorer, while he is also moving a ton off the ball (did all of it vs the Bulls). Only very few players in this league can do this and look good. He's also still learning the coverages that comes with being in that role, as he was 2nd or 3rd fiddle most of his career

I wouldn't take much stock in the bulls game for data for success either, as all our guys did extremely well vs a team that is not very good. He literally got by everyone of those bulls defender and was met with zero secondary and big man defender in rotations.

The Philly game is another indicator of his inefficiencies, had a ton of quality looks and missed them all. Once Jimmy went down be became the guy, and even as philly was adjusting to focus on him by the end of the 3rd quarter he just didn't have the focus, and struggled from everywhere on the court.

Boston, I won't completely judge him on these merits against the best team in the league next to the Nuggets understanding he is the only guy right now were funneling all our scoring through, almost forced, because we don't have another ball handler on the floor capable of giving him relief. However, the true Herro kind of lies somewhere in the middle, he isn't as bad as he looked against top tier competition a 3rd scorer on a team that unfortunately right now is using him as a number 1. However he still ins't very good even as the #3 on a team in comparison to other #3's.

I don't believe I need to adjust my expectations, he is an inefficient subpar scorer that struggles against size and speed, his defense is also bad and gets hunted because of this. He is also a liability when bundled with other mediocre defenders, and unfortunately for us, our guards who are good defenders, Caleb/Wright are not great scorers so we struggle a bit here on structure. The guys who can take pressure off of him like Rozier is a bad fit beside him as having them both on the court makes our back like have to work that much harder.

I do think he is a microwave guy who can get hot in situations and usually in the season will have 3 bland games and 1 hot game, so I will give him the benefit of a doubt in at least 1 game this series where he will catch fire and hit a high clip at high volume, hopefully in the same game that others also play well we can count on at least a victory.

I wish him the best, but he is a bad complementary piece to this build. If he were to just strictly be an off ball shooter, in the way that Duncan is used we may get the most out of him and function best next to Jimmy/Bam but they are not paying him to be that, and they have not nurtured him to be that either from the FO. He's expectations and role on this team are higher than what he is capable of.

Return to Miami Heat