ImageImageImage

How Many Centers Better than Bam?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

How Many Centers Better than Bam?

Jokic
21%
Embiid
21%
AD
18%
Wemby
15%
Holmgren
6%
Sabonis
3%
Porzingis
4%
Jarrett Allen
3%
Sengun
4%
Hartenstein
3%

Total votes: 117

ZoStrong
Senior
And1: 846

Re: How Many Centers Better than Bam? 

Post#21 » by ZoStrong » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:09 am

Jokic, Embii, AD, Wemby are only 4 w clearly better talents. But Embii hurt, AD not always available, Wemby will be better in coming years.

I will probably pick only Jokic and Wemby over Bam for next 5 years for my team.
powerball1373
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,688

Post#22 » by powerball1373 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:59 am

greg4012 wrote:
powerball1373 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Tells you all you need to know about lebatards bball knowledge that he trusts such a mentally deficient source

To be fair, he didn't say he agreed with it, he was just relaying the message. Lebatard is known to be one of the most plugged in people with the Heat, not some random YouTube dork lol.

And you think it was a plug of his with the heat that had that opinion?

There's value in having sources and being able to obtain info. There's value to being entertaining and provocative. There's value in understanding and analyzing the game.

I think Lebatard brings 2 of the above 3 to the table. I do not confuse proficiency in any one of the above to mean proficiency in the others

But nothing you mentioned has anything to do with this lol. He didn't try to understand or analyze anything, all he did was relay what someone told him, and this thread is just a discussion about that. It's not that deep breh.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,903

Post#23 » by greg4012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm

ZoStrong wrote:
powerball1373 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Tells you all you need to know about lebatards bball knowledge that he trusts such a mentally deficient source

To be fair, he didn't say he agreed with it, he was just relaying the message. Lebatard is known to be one of the most plugged in people with the Heat, not some random YouTube dork lol.

You know, that show is really about trolling people, lol.

BIg facts. It's pure entertainment, shock content, and meant to generate reaction
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by greg4012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:56 pm

powerball1373 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
powerball1373 wrote:

And you think it was a plug of his with the heat that had that opinion?

There's value in having sources and being able to obtain info. There's value to being entertaining and provocative. There's value in understanding and analyzing the game.

I think Lebatard brings 2 of the above 3 to the table. I do not confuse proficiency in any one of the above to mean proficiency in the others

But nothing you mentioned has anything to do with this lol. He didn't try to understand or analyze anything, all he did was relay what someone told him, and this thread is just a discussion about that. It's not that deep breh.

I'm responding to its relevance--which is none
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,213

Post#25 » by SA37 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:30 pm

The problem isn't who is ahead of Bam depending on the position; the issue, imo, is Bam doesn't seem to have another gear. He's not dominant in any facet of the game. He's a much better version of D Green or a similar-in-impact to Sabonis, even if Sabonis's numbers are infinitely better. Sengun is a guy to watch, but we have to see if he's fool's gold of if he continues to play at a high level.
jbsays
Junior
And1: 377

Post#26 » by jbsays » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Bam is somewhat of an enigma. He clearly makes the team better, but you can't count on him to be the #1 option on offense. I think the best way to look at a scenario like this is to swap Bam with the other centers and ask yourself would the other team be better or worse with Bam in place of their current center.
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 562

Post#27 » by Lennyzinho » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:58 pm

Edey > Bam
;)

Bam under no circumstances is a top 3 center. Not having him in top 10 is even more wild tho. V clearly in the 4-8 range.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by greg4012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm

SA37 wrote:The problem isn't who is ahead of Bam depending on the position; the issue, imo, is Bam doesn't seem to have another gear. He's not dominant in any facet of the game. He's a much better version of D Green or a similar-in-impact to Sabonis, even if Sabonis's numbers are infinitely better. Sengun is a guy to watch, but we have to see if he's fool's gold of if he continues to play at a high level.

“Not dominant in any facet of the game”

Best defensive player in the NBA.

Make it make sense.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,213

Post#29 » by SA37 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:33 pm

greg4012 wrote:
SA37 wrote:The problem isn't who is ahead of Bam depending on the position; the issue, imo, is Bam doesn't seem to have another gear. He's not dominant in any facet of the game. He's a much better version of D Green or a similar-in-impact to Sabonis, even if Sabonis's numbers are infinitely better. Sengun is a guy to watch, but we have to see if he's fool's gold of if he continues to play at a high level.

Make it make sense.

Again, I see his impact on defense very much like D Green's, but I don't think Adebayo is the best defender in the NBA. At any rate, even if I cede the point, in a league that is so driven by offense, the impact of a defensive player like Adebayo/Green is limited. That's why a guy like Gobert can only impact the game so much; he needs other guys around him to do everything he can't offensively (the same is true for Green; just look at Golden St when Curry and Thompson were out). Bam is better offensively than Green or Gobert, but he (and Miami) need the offensive firepower to come from somewhere else.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,852

Post#30 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:Edey > Bam
;)

Bam under no circumstances is a top 3 center. Not having him in top 10 is even more wild tho. V clearly in the 4-8 range.

Who in the world is better than him that would even knock him out of the top 5 lol?
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#31 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm

SA37 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Make it make sense.

Again, I see his impact on defense very much like D Green's, but I don't think Adebayo is the best defender in the NBA. At any rate, even if I cede the point, in a league that is so driven by offense, the impact of a defensive player like Adebayo/Green is limited. That's why a guy like Gobert can only impact the game so much; he needs other guys around him to do everything he can't offensively (the same is true for Green; just look at Golden St when Curry and Thompson were out). Bam is better offensively than Green or Gobert, but he (and Miami) need the offensive firepower to come from somewhere else.

Bam is a far, far superior offensive player to Gobert and Draymond scoring wise and in Rudy’s case passing as well. Hes a far better player than Sabonis as well who is putting up empty numbers while his team is getting bounced in the 1st round or play in when he’s unable to score AND has 0 defense.
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#32 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 pm

Bam is the only 3rd option in nba history to averaged around 20 PPG in several seasons but also have no scoring ability or “bag”

Put Bam on a team where he can pad his stats like the Blazers and make him the 1st option and yall would be frothing at the mouth to get the best defensive player in the world who’s also averaging 26-12-6 on top of it :lol:

I know we like to pretend he’s ass because he’s not asked to be a scorer on every single night and people get confused when they can’t see PPG and back their takes on 1 game sample sizes but there’s a few big reasons why we’re 1 shot away from 3 finals in the last 4 seasons and he’s no less than the 2nd biggest reason why behind Jimmy. The dude is elite, he’s a top 20 player in the world. 25-12-6 a game without Jimmy and Herro, if he were to pad his stats on a bad team he’d be looked at in a completely different light but instead he plays to the teams needs and makes deep postseason runs instead :o
#FreeBam
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by greg4012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm

Gobert is a tangibly worse offensive player than Bam and is limited bc his defensive impact gets marginalized when playoff bball becomes a highly game planned space game. That playoff shift actually makes Bam’s defense even more impactful.

It’s not all or nothing. Offense dominates the NBA in a way it hadn’t previously because of the analytics that have driven the 3-ball revolution (which have also resulted in defending space across the whole court infinitely more important). That makes having a defense with answers for these offensive surges all the more important.

I don’t know how Heat fans can watch Bam’s career and not think he’s the best defensive player in the league (or at minimum top 3). If Draymond was longer, more explosive and better on offense then he’d be Bam (give Bam prime Steph and Klay and he’d look like a playmaking savant)

We ain’t gonna be a contender if Bam is the top offensive option on the team. But having the best defensive player in the world that can be as versatile as Bam on offense and still serve as a 20 ppg scorer is insanely valuable. That’s literally what KG made his HOF career doing.

Feel like it’s Groundhog Day on here with these debates about Bam.
Lennyzinho
Junior

Post#34 » by Lennyzinho » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
;)

Who in the world is better than him that would even knock him out of the top 5 lol?

It's not crazy to say jokic embiid AD wemby sabonis are better. You have to at least consider it's a debatable topic. Some people will have him in top 5. Some won't. Hence I prefer to say he's in that 4-8 range.

Sabonis was getting all nba 3rd team considerations. I think he's good but also slightly overrated and pad stats and high usage rate. Wemby is a freak. The way he closed the last month I think he's already better than bam. But is wemby even a C? Anyway. I hate these types of arguments. Bam is awesome. He's not all nba good. He's all star good. Does it really matter if he's 5th or 6th. Splitting hairs. Saying he's 13-14 like the "source" said is just click bait or dumb or there's serious anti heat bias.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#35 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm

greg4012 wrote:Gobert is a tangibly worse offensive player than Bam and is limited bc his defensive impact gets marginalized when playoff bball becomes a highly game planned space game. That playoff shift actually makes Bam’s defense even more impactful.

It’s not all or nothing. Offense dominates the NBA in a way it hadn’t previously because of the analytics that have driven the 3-ball revolution (which have also resulted in defending space across the whole court infinitely more important). That makes having a defense with answers for these offensive surges all the more important.

I don’t know how Heat fans can watch Bam’s career and not think he’s the best defensive player in the league (or at minimum top 3). If Draymond was longer, more explosive and better on offense then he’d be Bam (give Bam prime Steph and Klay and he’d look like a playmaking savant)

We ain’t gonna be a contender if Bam is the top offensive option on the team. But having the best defensive player in the world that can be as versatile as Bam on offense and still serve as a 20 ppg scorer is insanely valuable. That’s literally what KG made his HOF career doing.

Feel like it’s Groundhog Day on here with these debates about Bam.

5 years into Bam as a starter and I still can not believe Heat fans who watch religiously don’t see what’s right in front of their faces lol. They see the Jimmy 50-40 point games back to back to close out the Bucks last season but don’t noticed the Giannis 2-18 or whatever shooting Bam held him to in the 4th quarters of those games in 1 possession wins. Hell they don’t even see the game 5 triple double because he only had 20 points to go with it and not 30.

People gotta realize one day that there are 2 sides to the ball and he’s the best on one of them and is very good on the other. Best defense in the league and the ability to score 20 a night as a 3rd option on top of his playmaking is massive. When guys are in and out of the lineup and he’s asked to be a scorer he steps up nearly every time, countless times this season as well.

Celtics played him in single coverage last game for the most part and he torched them for 24, I don’t think they change tonight but they may do what majority of teams do and start to collapse on him with every touch because w haven’t been able to counter that as a team. If so, then yes it’s likely he scores less tonight and takes less shots, he’s not going to shoot over 3 people when he is a great passer and can find his “shooters” wide open on the perimeter. If not then yes he is likely to continue attacking and cooking KP like he has his entire career.

We take what they give us on a game by game basis and Bam gives what he’s asked on a game by game basis. Should he be selfish at times? Probably so but if he’s getting guys wide open looks from 3 off screens and DHOs we’re getting high quality shots regardless and he’s giving Spo exactly what he’s asking for
#FreeBam
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by greg4012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:29 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
;)

It's not crazy to say jokic embiid AD wemby sabonis are better. You have to at least consider it's a debatable topic. Some people will have him in top 5. Some won't. Hence I prefer to say he's in that 4-8 range.

Sabonis was getting all nba 3rd team considerations. I think he's good but also slightly overrated and pad stats and high usage rate. Wemby is a freak. The way he closed the last month I think he's already better than bam. But is wemby even a C? Anyway. I hate these types of arguments. Bam is awesome. He's not all nba good. He's all star good. Does it really matter if he's 5th or 6th. Splitting hairs. Saying he's 13-14 like the "source" said is just click bait or dumb or there's serious anti heat bias.

If you value defense at all (or a player that fits playoff bball) it’s verifiably crazy to put sabonis on Bam’s level. Let alone above him.

Sabonis has his stats that got you all going goo goo Gaga specifically bc Kings have tied their fate to him and built a scheme to his strengths. The result is nice numbers for him, putrid defense, and an offense that is declining in efficacy season over season. His inherently flawed as a foundational piece for a team seeking to compete at the highest levels in the nba game.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#37 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 pm

You can make an argument that in the playoffs the only center you want ahead of him is Jokic.
#FreeBam
tacosman
Junior
And1: 272

Post#38 » by tacosman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:53 am

Bam is a good asset, and that's why the heat would be smart to turn him into some great pieces to start the rebuild.

Trading bam at a good point in the market this offseason would bring back a haul. Then they could have all those assets from the trade to start the rebuild plus the first tanking season would correspond to a strong draft class. Add those two things into having cap space in a few years to go big game hunting as a desirable destination when the draft picks(from tanking and the bam trade) start to mature......

it's a perfect set-up.

Instead they are going to hope to win mid 40s games if everyone stays healthy while jimmy turns 35. Hey maybe when he is 37 they can make the play-in again?
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by greg4012 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 am

tacosman wrote:Bam is a good asset, and that's why the heat would be smart to turn him into some great pieces to start the rebuild.

Trading bam at a good point in the market this offseason would bring back a haul. Then they could have all those assets from the trade to start the rebuild plus the first tanking season would correspond to a strong draft class. Add those two things into having cap space in a few years to go big game hunting as a desirable destination when the draft picks(from tanking and the bam trade) start to mature......

it's a perfect set-up.

Instead they are going to hope to win mid 40s games if everyone stays healthy while jimmy turns 35. Hey maybe when he is 37 they can make the play-in again?

And will still come out the other side with more success than the gnats.
Lennyzinho
Junior

Post#40 » by Lennyzinho » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:27 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:You can make an argument that in the playoffs the only center you want ahead of him is Jokic.

After tonight's game we need to reset the poll.

Lmao.

Bam is top 4. Jokic is mvp. Embiid won last years mvp. AD is 2nd all team nba. Saying he's 4th isn't an insult. Those are all HOFer's, same as Bam one day I'd hope.

God I love this version of Bam. We all do. We just want to see it more consistently.

Return to Miami Heat