ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,206

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#161 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 5:41 pm

greg4012 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Right but that could be said for any star that makes a deep run basically, it’s just being worded as he was a one man show dropping 50 every night while everyone else was **** the bed lol he was definitely our best player and likely still is health permitting but it was a collective effort all around.

Absolutely, how many stars has Miami acquired outside the draft in the last 15 years (since the summer of LeBron and Bosh), that answer is 1. If you want to include Dragic, he did make the all-star team once in Miami but only had 1 20+ ppg season in Miami too.

I think people need to look around at where Miami was at for a few years and what their future was before Butler forced his way to Miami, you had an up-and-coming young player in Bam, a vastly overpaid Whiteside (had to pay him or lose him) and were looking to develop JRich into a scorer and a highly drafted Winslow at #10 and he never even got to 13 ppg the 5 years he was in Miami.

Some chance of high level play is better than no high level play.

To be fair, Miami's post big-3 years where the direct result of a confluence of events:

1) Mortgaged future from going all-in on big 3 era (future draft picks were traded to get each of Bron and Bosh in sign and trades)
2) Max player Chris Bosh remaining on the books but unable to play due to a truly freak medical issue
3) LeBron sabotage on the way out leaving the Heat in a holding pattern

Despite this, the Heat worked to try to compete and bridge the gap--trading for Dragic primarily (2 FRPs). Then we lost Bosh and that attempt to thread the needle fell apart.

What followed were some bad contracts hoping to hastily recover from the unfortunate blows dealt.

What about the Butler years, it's been a half decade. They got to the finals twice and STILL couldn't bring in talent, so they used their 1st round picks instead. It's been a decade and only 1 real game changer has been brought in. They did have their plan to go after Giannis and when that didn't work they spent their money on Lowry since there wasn't many options of players they could acquire in that FA off-season.

I have to say, I laughed out loud at home when I saw Miami give Dion Waiters a multi-year deal after watching him in OKC the previous year and then a few games with Miami. I was in disbelief when they matched the T.Johnson contract. This FO has been far from perfect, and I think they know that and with that knowledge will keep Butler around probably 3 more years which also gives them 3 more years to develop a star or try to acquire one before getting back to not having any hope again.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,723

Post#162 » by DayofMourning » Thu May 2, 2024 5:48 pm

Do not extend Jimmy.

Trade Bam to OKC.

Trade Herro to Utah.

Restart.
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 4,996

Post#163 » by SoFlaKingReal » Thu May 2, 2024 5:52 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Do not extend Jimmy.

Trade Bam to OKC.

Trade Herro to Utah.

Restart.

If they traded Bam to OKC, then one of the picks being sent to the Heat would have to be the pick the Heat owe the Thunder lol

Because the Heat would go into a long rebuild and wouldn't want to owe OKC their unprotected 2026 FRP.
Daffy
Analyst
And1: 3,825

Post#164 » by Daffy » Thu May 2, 2024 5:56 pm

Trade Bam to OKC.

Trade Herro to Utah.

Restart.

I rather keep Bam and try flip Jimmy and Herro into another young star along with freeing up cap. We've seen teams tank/rebuild forever before it even looks like it's working out.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#165 » by DayofMourning » Thu May 2, 2024 5:59 pm

SoFlaKingReal wrote:

Trade Bam to OKC.

Trade Herro to Utah.

Restart.

If they traded Bam to OKC, then one of the picks being sent to the Heat would have to be the pick the Heat owe the Thunder lol

Wed need a whole lot more than that.

Imagine a youth starter kit of Cason Wallace, Jalen Williams, JJJ, Jovic PLUS potentially 3 draft picks this year (Utah, Miami, OKC) PLUS a chance at adding one of the few blue chippers next draft.

Cason/Devin Carter
Jalen
Jaime
Jovic/Da Silva
Kelel Ware

Plus one of Harper, Bailey, or Flagg next draft.

Its realistic.
EMC5466
Rookie
And1: 2,444

Post#166 » by EMC5466 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=rv05ze1KDrOvRX51VQ2elA
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by DayofMourning » Thu May 2, 2024 6:02 pm

Daffy wrote:

Trade Bam to OKC.

Trade Herro to Utah.

Restart.

I rather keep Bam and try flip Jimmy and Herro into another young star along with freeing up cap. We've seen teams tank/rebuild forever before it even looks like it's working out.

Id want to bottom out. Next years draft has some very good players at the top, unlike this year. A few to choose from even. Its a goldmine tbh.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,511

Post#168 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:02 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

So this extension would be removing Jimmys option season and adding 1 year to his current deal at a slightly higher rate and the 4 year $70M per year stuff a few weeks ago was false?

If that’s what it is I’m fine with it.

I know I’m sounding like a hater here but I love Jimmy and I’ve said several times I want him to finish his career here, I’m just not willing to punt seasons away for that to be the case. I really want this build (with added help this summer) to get a championship.

I still wouldn't do it, Id tell him if you want to win a chip we need more salary diversity, were gonna ship Herro off for assets, and sell our FRP this year but you need to take a pay cut so since you play part time anyways If you want us to improve this team and be able to fill it up with some talent.

The Heat have to explore both Bam and Jimmy an extension and that is gonna press them future into bad salary position. The number one goal for the Heat right now is to find a new face of the franchise star. They need to avoid any moves that put them in a tougher position. I would bet money that the Heat will counter the offer with more years but at a lower number per year. But to add to their current cap situation I just can not see that as smart move for a player who really at this point you cant depend on him as a starter. The Heat needs to build a starting lineup that is good without Butler.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,050

Post#169 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 6:03 pm

AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

If that’s the basis of a deal that’s a no brainer. Add sweetener if needed

For those who aren't paying for the Miami Herald paywall, the same story as of basically all those paywalled stories are on other websites like yahoo for instance...

https://sports.yahoo.com/heat-players-viewed-trade-assets-154506604.html

Here's the quote from above and a little extra to it. I would think team that he'd be willing to extend with could easily outbid Miami for Mitchell.

▪ Regarding Cleveland’s Donovan Mitchell (who reportedly is expected to seek a trade), he said a hypothetical Heat offer of Herro and the Cavs’ choice of Jovic or Jaquez and a first-round pick would be “a competitive one, because Mitchell can just leave in a year.

“Herro and Darius Garland can score and shoot, but defensively you’re giving up a lot if you pair those two together. That’s a pretty good deal. I would assume Cleveland would say it’s not quite enough. But it’s a competitive offer.”

“He’s erratic, but the big thing with him is you can never count on him being healthy. The major concern with his salary is the health, less so the talent. He played half the season; you can’t just [gloss over] that after the past injury issues. I don’t think he’s a negative asset but a lot of teams will back off because of the health. If he was healthy more often, I would feel better about him.”

“I know Herro was erratic in the Boston series but he can get his own shot. He’s skilled. He’s a good passer. He’s just streaky. In an ideal world, he’s a sixth man. But that’s a lot to pay for a sixth man.”

But what teams would he be willing to extend with and there’s a chance he already has his mind made up
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,050

Post#170 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 6:06 pm

I like our chances for Mitchell I really do, a lot of things working good with us on that front imo.
#FreeBam
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,531

Post#171 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 6:08 pm

Herro’s contract will be attached with Jovic or the 15th or both that shuffles the deck here. Don’t think that gets you Mitchell but will get something of substance.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,531

Post#172 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 6:14 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I like our chances for Mitchell I really do, a lot of things working good with us on that front imo.

Cavs will want as many picks as possible to recoup what they gave Utah. BK and the Knicks clearly have upper hand. Mitchell is a NY guy. His dad works with the Mets. Mitchell also good friends with Bridges. Lots of things to overcome if you're just leaning on Mitchell and Bam relationship.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#173 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 6:17 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I like our chances for Mitchell I really do, a lot of things working good with us on that front imo.

Why not the Lakers?
2-3 1st(includes a draft and trade this year's pick), A.Reaves which is a great value contract, Jalen Hood-Schifino (last year's 1st round pick) and Rui Hachimura as filler. This gives Cleveland a lot of very moveable assets to go with another big trade they're heading towards because Cleveland is going to have to decide between Allen and Mobley since both bigs don't really shoot 3s.
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran

Post#174 » by SoFlaKingReal » Thu May 2, 2024 6:17 pm

Butler is checked out. That is pretty obvious. The Heat can not give him that extension, even if it technically only adds a year to what they are already committed to.

It was a great five year run, one that a majority of teams would die to have. All good things come to an end. The Heat can not sit back any longer, it is time to start anew with young, hungry players. "Running it back" with this same roster will result in another miserable season/play-in appearance/mediocrity.

I don't know what that means for Bam tho. Unless they trade Butler would win-now pieces, Bam would we wasting away on a semi-rebuild. This is not a fun position to be in, but it is reality. They've tried to move the other players on the roster for boost the Butler/Bam core for years and it just isnt possible. Nobody wants the Heat's overpaid under performing role players. They also don't want the Heat's draft picks because of the perception that they won't be lottery picks.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#175 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 6:24 pm

SoFlaKingReal wrote:Butler is checked out. That is pretty obvious. The Heat can not give him that extension, even if it technically only adds a year to what they are already committed to.

It was a great five year run, one that a majority of teams would die to have. All good things come to an end. The Heat can not sit back any longer, they have to pick a direction that maximizes Bam's timeline.

Butler, the guy who got injured enough to be out for weeks yet stayed in the game for 3 more quarters? That doesn't seem like a checked-out player, seems to indicate the exact opposite.
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran

Post#176 » by SoFlaKingReal » Thu May 2, 2024 6:26 pm

AirP. wrote:
SoFlaKingReal wrote:Butler is checked out. That is pretty obvious. The Heat can not give him that extension, even if it technically only adds a year to what they are already committed to.

It was a great five year run, one that a majority of teams would die to have. All good things come to an end. The Heat can not sit back any longer, they have to pick a direction that maximizes Bam's timeline.

Butler, the guy who got injured enough to be out for weeks yet stayed in the game for 3 more quarters? That doesn't seem like a checked-out player, seems to indicate the exact opposite.

I'd rather move on a year too early than a year too late. Father time is undefeated. Get some valued assets while you can. They dont have the pieces to improve the roster around Butler. It is what it is. Time to face the music.
powerball1373
Sixth Man
And1: 2,825

Post#177 » by powerball1373 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:27 pm

EMC5466 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who the fook is this? Is it already random Heat Twitter insider dork nobodies szn?
twix2500
RealGM

Post#178 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:29 pm

powerball1373 wrote:
EMC5466 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who the fook is this? Is it already random Heat Twitter insider dork nobodies szn?

No its just people in here like to post fans comments that not their own in here.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,196

Post#179 » by Flash4thewin » Thu May 2, 2024 6:38 pm

AirP. wrote:

Why not the Lakers?
2-3 1st(includes a draft and trade this year's pick), A.Reaves which is a great value contract, Jalen Hood-Schifino (last year's 1st round pick) and Rui Hachimura as filler. This gives Cleveland a lot of very moveable assets to go with another big trade they're heading towards because Cleveland is going to have to decide between Allen and Mobley since both bigs don't really shoot 3s.

The Lakers are a good sleeper to get Mitchell. Reaves is everything our front office wished Herro was and at half the contract. Reaves is a very valuable player, great offensively, can actually get free throws etc and didnt get destroyed in the playoffs.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#180 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:39 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Why not the Lakers?

The Lakers are a good sleeper to get Mitchell. Reaves is everything our front office wished Herro was and at half the contract. Reaves is a very valuable player, great offensively, can actually get free throws etc and didnt get destroyed in the playoffs.

I thought the lakers dont have picks to move or do they?

Return to Miami Heat