ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,410

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#1001 » by Wiltside » Mon May 6, 2024 11:27 pm

Reminds me of the Lowry press conference from last year. Pat is telling Jimmy "if you want the money, you gotta show up and play and play at a high level".

I don't think it's at "blow it up" stage, but it'll be interesting to see how Jimmy inteprets this. His agent is saying the right things, but Jimmy is a volatile personality. It's why we love him and why he fits, but at the end of the day, the man wants to be paid. He probably feels he's earned it, and he's probably right, but contracts don't work on the past.

UD definitely spoke out of turn on Herro. It was dumb of him to weigh in on that, he should know better. I'll be surprised if Tyler is on the roster come opening night, but of course Riley is going to reaffirm their thoughts of him as a starter. TBF, he is starting calibre. I don't think that's a question - he just doesn't fit here with what we need. I can see him having a good season somewhere else where defense is less of a priority and the offense is more free flowing.

Looks like Pat is a big believer in Niko and Jaime. That doesn't mean they're off limits if the right piece comes along - the all in move - but I'd expect they'll be back and big parts of our rotation next season.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#1002 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 11:32 pm

Wiltside wrote:Reminds me of the Lowry press conference from last year. Pat is telling Jimmy "if you want the money, you gotta show up and play and play at a high level".

I don't think it's at "blow it up" stage, but it'll be interesting to see how Jimmy inteprets this. His agent is saying the right things, but Jimmy is a volatile personality. It's why we love him and why he fits, but at the end of the day, the man wants to be paid. He probably feels he's earned it, and he's probably right, but contracts don't work on the past.

UD definitely spoke out of turn on Herro. It was dumb of him to weigh in on that, he should know better. I'll be surprised if Tyler is on the roster come opening night, but of course Riley is going to reaffirm their thoughts of him as a starter. TBF, he is starting calibre. I don't think that's a question - he just doesn't fit here with what we need. I can see him having a good season somewhere else where defense is less of a priority and the offense is more free flowing.

Looks like Pat is a big believer in Niko and Jaime. That doesn't mean they're off limits if the right piece comes along - the all in move - but I'd expect they'll be back and big parts of our rotation next season.

He mentioned he's not blowing it up, he also said onto season 6 of this build (I expect he meant Butler and Bam).

Riley also said in his opening statement.
we have to change some things but we
surely are not going to rip anything apart here you know okay that's my
statement.

If Butler isn't a difference maker this next season I could see a pretty big change next off-season.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,944

Post#1003 » by MettaWorldPanda » Mon May 6, 2024 11:33 pm

AirP. wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Herro won’t be a 6th man here. I think that ship has sailed. He’ll be traded before being a 6th man again. I think Schwartz knows it’s in the best interest of his clients Herro and Ingram to switch teams.

He's paid too much to be a 6th man. I'm sure there's some teams out there who would like Herro to start for them because of who they currently having start or just need more 3pt shooting. It'll be easier to change Herro's game if he changes team's vs trying to change his game for the longterm while in Miami.

That’s why I feel like a swap of Herro for Ingram makes a ton of sense. Allows Murphy to take over at SF and gives them a true scoring two in Herro who’s young and is liked by their star Williamson. Also alot less pressure in NO for Herro.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,410

Post#1004 » by Wiltside » Mon May 6, 2024 11:34 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
AirP. wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Herro won’t be a 6th man here. I think that ship has sailed. He’ll be traded before being a 6th man again. I think Schwartz knows it’s in the best interest of his clients Herro and Ingram to switch teams.

He's paid too much to be a 6th man. I'm sure there's some teams out there who would like Herro to start for them because of who they currently having start or just need more 3pt shooting. It'll be easier to change Herro's game if he changes team's vs trying to change his game for the longterm while in Miami.

That’s why I feel like a swap of Herro for Ingram makes a ton of sense. Allows Murphy to take over at SF and gives them a true scoring two in Herro who’s young and is likes by their star Williamson. Also alot leas pressure in NO for Herro.

Zion also loves Herro. So there's that.

The fit with CJ is a little awkward though.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#1005 » by AirP. » Mon May 6, 2024 11:38 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
AirP. wrote:

That’s why I feel like a swap of Herro for Ingram makes a ton of sense. Allows Murphy to take over at SF and gives them a true scoring two in Herro who’s young and is likes by their star Williamson. Also alot leas pressure in NO for Herro.

I've not heard much from Zion about Herro since his college days. I doubt he thinks less of him at this point in time.

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81,002

Post#1006 » by DayofMourning » Mon May 6, 2024 11:42 pm

Ainge wouldnt trade 3rd rounder for Herro......but if he did hed turn right around and ask for the Gobert package for him.
MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,264

Post#1008 » by MorbidHEAT » Mon May 6, 2024 11:58 pm

The more I read about it, the more I think that Pat sounded like somebody whose kindness has been mistaken for weakness. He sounded like a guy who was thinking “alright, you’re about to meet the real Pat Riley”. The whole thing just sounded very contentious. Hopefully the relationship between Jimmy and the team is fine or can get fine.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1009 » by DayofMourning » Mon May 6, 2024 11:59 pm

Jimmy on plays half the RS and is healthy every other PS. Trade him to Philly.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,572

Post#1010 » by twix2500 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:06 am

Read on Twitter
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,961

Post#1011 » by marson » Tue May 7, 2024 12:17 am

Last time Pat blasted someone in the press con, he signed Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger afterwards. We'll see.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1012 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 7, 2024 12:20 am

marson wrote:Last time Pat blasted someone in the press con, he signed Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger afterwards. We'll see.

Lol. We do NOT need a repeat of that. Jesus.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,185

Post#1013 » by eddieheatfan » Tue May 7, 2024 12:29 am

DayofMourning wrote:
marson wrote:Last time Pat blasted someone in the press con, he signed Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger afterwards. We'll see.

Lol. We do NOT need a repeat of that. Jesus.
:lol:
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1014 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 7, 2024 12:44 am

Pat laid it out there in that presser. Straight shooter.

And Butlers agent tweeted a response???

Getting spicy.

IceCold, tell intern boy we need some more nuggets.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#1015 » by Vertical Limit » Tue May 7, 2024 12:54 am

DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Lot’s of smoke building with these Jimmy trade rumors. It may be a mutual decision to get Jimmy to a true contender. We are so hamstrung cap wise that this could be our get out of cap hell free card while stocking up our asset cupboard to get his replacement that fits Bam’s and this franchise’s new timeline.

Im first in line to the cash out Jimmy Butler camp.

Its this offseason or never. Do we let him get older and less valuable or do we get as much as we can for him and get a young star on the Heat with a haul of first round picks..
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,248

Post#1016 » by Flash4thewin » Tue May 7, 2024 12:59 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Protect your client/meal ticket, but your guy thinks this is his part-time job now. I can't wait for all these old fossils to leave the league. They're all making the most money and giving the least effort. Ready for the new era already.

ETA: I have no problems with dudes getting paid. But you should at least have to "earn" your bread.

That applies to everyone including the front office. It's interesting to see his agent be diplomatic at this stage. He could have easily ripped Pat a new a hole based on his GM these past 4 years but decided to remain civil. This will be an interesting summer for sure, especially if one loves Drama :wink:

For a quick refresher Pat voluntarily and happily signed Duncan, Lowry and Herro to their contracts thinking he made great signings.
HeatFan_NC
Sophomore
And1: 312

Post#1017 » by HeatFan_NC » Tue May 7, 2024 12:59 am

Just let Jimmy play out his contract.
Let Caleb walk.
Build around the core of JJJ, Bam, and Jovic.
Draft a big man in the 1st rd.
Enso
General Manager
And1: 23,993

Post#1018 » by Enso » Tue May 7, 2024 1:00 am

DayofMourning wrote:Pat laid it out there in that presser. Straight shooter.

And Butlers agent tweeted a response???

Getting spicy.

IceCold, tell intern boy we need some more nuggets.

Please god no lol
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1019 » by DayofMourning » Tue May 7, 2024 1:13 am

Vertical Limit wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Lot’s of smoke building with these Jimmy trade rumors. It may be a mutual decision to get Jimmy to a true contender. We are so hamstrung cap wise that this could be our get out of cap hell free card while stocking up our asset cupboard to get his replacement that fits Bam’s and this franchise’s new timeline.

Im first in line to the cash out Jimmy Butler camp.

Its this offseason or never. Do we let him get older and less valuable or do we get as much as we can for him and get a young star on the Heat with a haul of first round picks..

And thats the thing, you cant waste time with this group. The draft is coming up. Moves can be made. JB is not available. If someone else thinks he eill be, then make it happen.

Dont get me wrong, Butler captained all of our success. We had great moments with him. So close so many times. Hes a star turn for our org.

However, if you are 35, miss a **** ton of games and cost twice as much as the next player, then theres an end of the line situation looking you right in the eye. Availability is the number one most important factor to success.
Daffy
Analyst
And1: 3,835

Post#1020 » by Daffy » Tue May 7, 2024 1:25 am

Pat threw a lot of blame around in this press conference, but never took any accountability for the fact that the front office didn't quite do their part as well. For a team that's so close we never added that needle mover.

Return to Miami Heat