ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#121 » by gom » Thu May 2, 2024 3:58 pm

I can't understand why any fan should argue about Butler's extension. He's the Heat's best player, works the hardest for our success, and also demonstrates the culture of the team. He is a natural leader. You don't question this kind of choice. We are lucky to have the opportunity. You sign him and build around him. I keep Bam too. The others can go or stay depending on what we need to do. I like our young players and understand the need to build internally (with Jovic & JJJ), but every team has young talent to develop. Butler is special.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,051

Post#122 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 4:00 pm

Read on Twitter

I don’t want these memes to pertain to my team next year I’ll tell you that
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,984

Post#123 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 4:01 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

So this extension would be removing Jimmys option season and adding 1 year to his current deal at a slightly higher rate and the 4 year $70M per year stuff a few weeks ago was false?

If that’s what it is I’m fine with it.

I know I’m sounding like a hater here but I love Jimmy and I’ve said several times I want him to finish his career here, I’m just not willing to punt seasons away for that to be the case. I really want this build (with added help this summer) to get a championship.

I still wouldn't do it, Id tell him if you want to win a chip we need more salary diversity, were gonna ship Herro off for assets, and sell our FRP this year but you need to take a pay cut so since you play part time anyways If you want us to improve this team and be able to fill it up with some talent.
batterybro42
Rookie
And1: 1,517

Post#124 » by batterybro42 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:02 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

So this extension would be removing Jimmys option season and adding 1 year to his current deal at a slightly higher rate and the 4 year $70M per year stuff a few weeks ago was false?

If that’s what it is I’m fine with it.

I know I’m sounding like a hater here but I love Jimmy and I’ve said several times I want him to finish his career here, I’m just not willing to punt seasons away for that to be the case. I really want this build (with added help this summer) to get a championship.

NBA free agents in 2026

Bam (Bird Rights) Luka, Tatum, Brunson, Mitchell, Butler, Irving, Porzingis, Durrant, Fox, Curry, Dame, Trae Young, and Randle

You have to be a complete lunatic to put all that in jeopardy when you consider that if you can offload Herro, all Miami has under contract is Jamie 3.8 Mil and QO cap hold under 10 mil for Jovic.

155 million in cap space you should be able to sign 3 max level players, lets say Boston and Dallas can not get it done these next two seasons, you could conceivably pair Luka, Tatum, and Bam together with Jamie and Jovic.

Whatever is done this next two seasons it cannot interfere with the possibility of potentially forming a dynasty type group.

2026 is the biggest NBA free agent opportunity since 2010

NOTHING including doing right by Jimmy Butler should come before the 2026 opportunity. Miami has been silently positioning towards this for some time if you have been paying attention.

IDC how far fetched it is nothing would prevent me from having the flexibility of potentially putting together

Luka
Jamie
Tatum
Jovic
Bam

all 28 or younger

That's some sort of demon squad
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,963

Post#125 » by Kobewade11 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:06 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

-Concerns around Herro’s contract about health, not talent
-Jovic/Jaime are best assets. Jaime being a solid role player, Jovic having a high ceiling.
-Rozier’s contract a little rich but could be tradeable, more suited for 6th man
-Duncan retained some value this year
-Herro, one of Jovic/Jaime and a pick is a competitive offer
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#126 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It will always be fuxk Al Horford. Definition of a front runner and then wanted to hit someone in the back who wasn’t looking but didn’t want any smoke when he ran you over head on? Soft as hell
#FreeBam
contract
RealGM
And1: 21,013

Post#127 » by contract » Thu May 2, 2024 4:09 pm

:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#128 » by contract » Thu May 2, 2024 4:10 pm

3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#129 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 4:11 pm

After the Barry article I think we have enough to get something done this summer. Contract situations matter a lot as well, Mitchell and Ingram are essentially free agents. That could be huge for us.

Time will tell
#FreeBam
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,963

Post#130 » by Kobewade11 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:11 pm

It is interesting that some people that spent years furious about a 35 year old Wade leaving now dont want to pay Jimmy. He may not be Wade, but Wade’s best years were also behind him too.
contract
RealGM

Post#131 » by contract » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,383

Post#132 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 pm

batterybro42 wrote:NBA free agents in 2026

Bam (Bird Rights) Luka, Tatum, Brunson, Mitchell, Butler, Irving, Porzingis, Durrant, Fox, Curry, Dame, Trae Young, and Randle

Luka - no chance he leaves Dallas.

Tatum - nope, staying in Boston.

Brunson - possible.

Mitchell - very possible.

Irving - Mickey gives kyrie the side-eye ever since the comments

Porzingis - finesse guy, injury prone, we shouldn't want him

Durant - ship has sailed, will be 38... too old, plus he's an idiot. Imagine if KD had put himself in Miami's hands instead of GS, or BRKLN, or PHX.

Curry - no chance, he's retiring in GS

i just don't see it.

this sucks, but losing out on Dame was the nail in the coffin for this group. The Suns are not going to make KD available per reports lately... so there's nobody to trade for.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,196

Post#133 » by Flash4thewin » Thu May 2, 2024 4:15 pm

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:No extension for Jimmy. He's under contract for two more years. I'm not interested in giving tens of millions of dollars to a 37 year old Jimmy Butler.

It's quite possible if you don't you end up handing that money out that money to lesser players while Butler could be on of the best playoff guys still. Maybe you'll add some newer versions of Waiters, J.Johnson and T.Johnson to eat up the cap with.

If you think you can get under the cap enough to have a max contract to acquire a new #1 through free agency, I get it but I'm not so sure that's really possible or probable and Miami would have to tear down the roster so much, you'll waste a couple of seasons building the team back up.

Jimmy is 35 next season. He's not ever going to get younger or healthier or better. It's all downhill. Every single offseason I post a list of the guys in their mid-30s and older that average even 15 points per game, and every year it's a handful of names, and as the age goes up, the number goes down. Even if Jimmy can squeeze out another 20 ppg season, he is extremely unlikely to squeeze out two, and I'm not down with paying a guy > $50 million to score 15 ppg.

The solution is to not extend Jimmy and not give that money to a newer version of Waiters, J.Johnson and T.Johnson. This is where Pat has to earn his salary.

Jimmy is going to want an extension. Say no but agree to find him a team that is willing to extend him.

Here’s the thing, after basically dragging us to two finals, three eastern finals, not giving him help. To not give him the extension is to incur his wrath. Jimmy can and will burn this team to the ground. Just pay the man, it’s just one year, it’s a feel good story we can sell to future free agents, the alternative is photoshop Jimmy face in that meme with the little girl starting the fire watching the whole house burn down.
contract
RealGM

Post#134 » by contract » Thu May 2, 2024 4:19 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,383

Post#135 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu May 2, 2024 4:20 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
It's quite possible if you don't you end up handing that money out that money to lesser players while Butler could be on of the best playoff guys still. Maybe you'll add some newer versions of Waiters, J.Johnson and T.Johnson to eat up the cap with.

If you think you can get under the cap enough to have a max contract to acquire a new #1 through free agency, I get it but I'm not so sure that's really possible or probable and Miami would have to tear down the roster so much, you'll waste a couple of seasons building the team back up.

Jimmy is 35 next season. He's not ever going to get younger or healthier or better. It's all downhill. Every single offseason I post a list of the guys in their mid-30s and older that average even 15 points per game, and every year it's a handful of names, and as the age goes up, the number goes down. Even if Jimmy can squeeze out another 20 ppg season, he is extremely unlikely to squeeze out two, and I'm not down with paying a guy > $50 million to score 15 ppg.

The solution is to not extend Jimmy and not give that money to a newer version of Waiters, J.Johnson and T.Johnson. This is where Pat has to earn his salary.

Jimmy is going to want an extension. Say no but agree to find him a team that is willing to extend him.

Here’s the thing, after basically dragging us to two finals, three eastern finals, not giving him help. To not give him the extension is to incur his wrath. Jimmy can and will burn this team to the ground. Just pay the man, it’s just one year, it’s a feel good story we can sell to future free agents, the alternative is photoshop Jimmy face in that meme with the little girl starting the fire watching the whole house burn down.

if it's just one year, yeah pay him.

this is not like the wade situation. back then, wade's knees were done. He was on borrowed time, somehow managed to squeak out a few more seasons, but ...

Jimmy is relatively healthy most of the time. Not the same.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,407

Post#136 » by Heat3 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:21 pm

Bye Jimmy. It was a good run. You’ll have an opportunity for a deep run on the Cavs. Maybe even better than the Heat. Kind regards.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,984

Post#137 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 4:21 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:It is interesting that some people that spent years furious about a 35 year old Wade leaving now dont want to pay Jimmy. He may not be Wade, but Wade’s best years were also behind him too.

Totally different that was a mess up by our FO, they were waiting for Durant to make a decision Ethan talk about it the other day, it wasn't because of Whiteside, he got 4 max offers from other teams so Miami matched them for Whiteside, Wade got upset because we were out there doing belly dances for Durant hoping he came here, and he chose to go to GSW in the end. We were going to pay him his due, we did bleep up by not being forward with him Miami lied to him and said they weren't courting Durant, of course Wade thought if Durant signed they would push him to take another pay cut again ala Lebron. So he was upset, and rightfully so, there was a lot going on there much different than the Jimmy situation. Also many teams have had these uncomfortable convos with older stars that has not precluded them from signing others in the past. Why is Miami beholden to this rule where everyone else can do as they please with their FO and push older players aside and communicate fair pay on fair play but we cannot. Last I checked those FO are doing just fine getting free agents and making trades.
contract
RealGM

Post#138 » by contract » Thu May 2, 2024 4:22 pm

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,206

Post#139 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 4:29 pm

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:No extension for Jimmy. He's under contract for two more years. I'm not interested in giving tens of millions of dollars to a 37 year old Jimmy Butler.

There's a good amount of history now of this FO overpaying players including Robinson (who fell out of the rotation during his 5 year 90 mil contract), Herro who is paid near the max for his age group and overpaid for a past his prime Lowry, if you're going to overpay a player maybe overpay a player that could be one of the better players on the court in the playoffs.

Of course he's not going to get younger, healthier, possibly as he continues to work on his 3 ball to make him take less contact around the basket and better? He's one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA so even if he drops some he'll still be a very efficient scorer around 20 ppg.

He's played the 2nd most regular season games for Miami this last season and with him coasting so many games he still averaged more than 20 ppg, the difference between this year and last year, he had a death in the family and with that, he didn't come back to the team with as much fire which hopefully that changes as time passes this year.

I just don't understand wanting to pay 2-3 mid level players over 1 player who may still be able to dominate high level playoff games from tie to time.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#140 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 4:31 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Reality has been skewed over time; he didn’t drag this team to the finals in 2020 or last season. The best argument would be 2022.

2020 everyone was hoopin, last season after the Bucks series he averaged 24-7-6 on 42/30/80 shooting splits. Injured I know but he didn’t drag us to the finals.
#FreeBam

Return to Miami Heat