ImageImageImage

Amare Stoudemire thread (out for season? update pg 35)

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

CaneFlash
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Rumor: Miami Rejected Amare for Marion/Beasley 

Post#21 » by CaneFlash » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:15 pm

I wouldn't want to trade for someone that flourished in the D'Antoni's style of offense, yet is struggling to replicate that production in a different offense. Marion was flourishing in Phoenix because of the style of play, but in Miami he has found it hard to get points. However, Matrix has one thing Amare doesn't have, the ability to play defense. Throw in Amare's attitude and lack of defense and you have someone that the Heat are better not getting at the expense of a potential star in Beasley. JON would provide the inside presence we need and we wouldn't have to give up any valuable pieces.
Welcome to Wade County
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,242

Post#22 » by BBallFreak » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:29 pm

CaneFlash,

While upon further reflection I'm not thrilled with Stoudamire, his offensive struggles have still yielded 21 ppg on better than 50% shooting from the floor, and that's with a space eater like Shaq taking up the middle. Those are offensive struggles we can live with.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#23 » by Iputsomepantson » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:33 pm

BBallFreak wrote:CaneFlash,

While upon further reflection I'm not thrilled with Stoudamire, his offensive struggles have still yielded 21 ppg on better than 50% shooting from the floor, and that's with a space eater like Shaq taking up the middle. Those are offensive struggles we can live with.

Stoudamire's offense is exactly what we need. Do we need his defensive struggles and attitude problems though, and for a price of Marion+Beasley? Those are the two questions that we are debating here.

I say no.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#24 » by Lane1974 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:50 pm

the thing I am sure Riley is weighing as it pertains to Beasley is -- what will he become by 2010 -- and odds are he will be pretty damn good, pretty damn cheap, and we could still get Amare or Bosh (theoretically) by then, or if (as I think) Beasley becomes a 6'9, 250 lb scoring monster, maybe the needs change. We're probably not winning a title in 2009 no matter who we had, especially if it costs Marion AND Beasley, so it pays to hold on to Beasley for 2010.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#25 » by Flash3 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:56 pm

^I'm hoping Riley has the same mindset, because moving Beasley/Pieces for a Bosh or even an Amare is only going to make our team weaker.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
drivewayball
Suspended
And1: 68

Post#26 » by drivewayball » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:11 pm

A first team All NBA player who is 26 years old would be a vey reasonable return for Marion and Beasley IMO. Beyond reasonable. A reliable offensive weapon at the power forward is just what the Heat need to take pressure off of Wade. Beasley is a nice kid and nice player, but I'm not seeing him as a major factor for several years. The Heat are in the hunt for a playoff run this season with Stoudemire in the paint. I also think Stoudemire would react well to Wade's leadership. By the same token, I don't think the Heat should be inclined to give up too much more than the Marion/Beasley package. The best deal I see for the Suns is a rumored talk with Portland, which has LaFrentz expiring deal to put on the table. Something inovlving LaFrentz, Aldridge, Outlaw or Bayless would be very intriguing for the Suns. However, for Phoenix to make a move this season, Marion would be the most helpful piece, esp. given his familiarity with Nash.
BFO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49

Post#27 » by BFO » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:12 pm

There is upside to moving Beasley.

Remember what happened on this board when we moved Odom, Walker, Shaq amongst others?
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Lane1974 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:19 pm

heh.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#29 » by SA37 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:28 pm

I would turn down this deal.

I like Stoudemire and he is a beast on offense, but Miami can't afford to trade its two most coveted assets for a guy who isn't a proven winner and who may not even be a top-5 PF. (See: Dirk, KG, Duncan, Boozer, Bosh, Jefferson, Randolph) Stoudemire is an excellent player, but he isn't a franchise-altering talent like KG, Duncan, Shaq...etc

In theory, we have a player in Beasley who could develop into a player similar to Stoudemire -- a guy who is an excellent scorer and a solid rebounder.

I just don't see this deal making sense for Miami. That said, trading Amare for anything less than Marion and Beasley doesn't make any sense at all for Phoenix. I don't think there is anything here.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Lane1974 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:29 pm

SA37 wrote:I would turn down this deal.

I like Stoudemire and he is a beast on offense, but Miami can't afford to trade its two most coveted assets for a guy who isn't a proven winner and who may not even be a top-5 PF. (See: Dirk, KG, Duncan, Boozer, Bosh, Jefferson, Randolph) Stoudemire is an excellent player, but he isn't a franchise-altering talent like KG, Duncan, Shaq...etc

In theory, we have a player in Beasley who could develop into a player similar to Stoudemire -- a guy who is an excellent scorer and a solid rebounder.

I just don't see this deal making sense for Miami. That said, trading Amare for anything less than Marion and Beasley doesn't make any sense at all for Phoenix. I don't think there is anything here.
where have you been young man?
Dresta
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#31 » by Dresta » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:34 pm

If this is true, it's a great decision by Riley.
Re Heated
Ballboy

Post#32 » by Re Heated » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:59 pm

I only do this deal if it comes with Amare signed to an extension. Otherwise its not worth the risk of losing him in 2010 because he wants to be the "man" on another team. Can extensions be signed at this point of the season anyways?
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#33 » by heat4life » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:03 pm

Bad trading partners IMO. Amare is not worth Marion AND Beasley. From PHX perspective, they need a expiring AND and up and coming young player (Beasley). It just doesn't work.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
ifrosty13
Head Coach
And1: 1,362

Post#34 » by ifrosty13 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:05 pm

That would be like trading Shaq and Beasley for Amare and Banks.

No thx.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#35 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:13 pm

Would PHX do this?

Marion/Haslem/Cook/3 second round picks/Cash for Amare/G-Hill(waived)-Barbosa

Amare-Jamal
Beasley-Joel
JJ-Diawara
Wade
Chalmers/Barbosa
CaneFlash
Sophomore

Post#36 » by CaneFlash » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:13 pm

Offense is not the problem. Defense is, and Amare does not fit our defensive scheme. If the trade is done, then the Heat will still have the glaring problem that it has been trying to resolve: interior defense. Players like JON or Tyson Chandler make more sense than Amare because of their defensive post presence and rebounding prowess, while playing the secondary role to Wade. With Amare on the court, the Heat would have a tough time facing teams like Orlando and Boston who can kill us in the paint.
Welcome to Wade County
youngeman
Senior
And1: 20

Post#37 » by youngeman » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:32 pm

i heard a rumor that Amare and the suns are moving back to Miami!!!!
I wouldn't trade for Amare. right now lets just build a team chemistry. i would trade for Oneal, but only if they take bank and his huge contract.

lets all be logical. with 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and your team is down 15 points. who would you rather have. Amare or Beasley. if you have to think about it, then Beasley win. remember Beasley is just a rookie that hardly get minutes from where he was drafted.
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#38 » by canefandynasty » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:35 pm

CaneFlash wrote:

Offense is not the problem. Defense is, and Amare does not fit our defensive scheme. If the trade is done, then the Heat will still have the glaring problem that it has been trying to resolve: interior defense. Players like JON or Tyson Chandler make more sense than Amare because of their defensive post presence and rebounding prowess, while playing the secondary role to Wade. With Amare on the court, the Heat would have a tough time facing teams like Orlando and Boston who can kill us in the paint.

FINALLY!!! Someone who gets IT
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#39 » by SA37 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:58 pm

Lane1974 wrote: where have you been young man?

I've been checking the board consistently, but I was busy finishing my Master's last semester/ there weren't too many interesting topics to really comment on.

I am working my way back, though.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#40 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 4:06 pm

What you get your master's in?

Return to Miami Heat