ImageImageImage

Amare Stoudemire thread (out for season? update pg 35)

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,446

Re: Amare Stoudemire thread 

Post#421 » by MartyConlonJr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:27 am

Us old sages have fostered this culture over the better part of this decade. There's a whole different TOS for the Miami Heat board.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#422 » by Lane1974 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:29 am

MartyConlonJr wrote:Us old sages have fostered this culture over the better part of this decade. There's a whole different TOS for the Miami Heat board.

it's the Pat Riley trickle down effect
MartyConlonJr
General Manager

Post#423 » by MartyConlonJr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 am

We definately seem to favour veterans and savvy.
rgw
Junior
And1: 0

Post#424 » by rgw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 am

MartyConlonJr wrote:We definately seem to favour veterans and savvy.

To get this back on topic somewhat ;) :

That is kinda why I've never thought that trading Beasley was absurd. This is Pat Riley we are talking about, he is always ready to trade hypothetical development for known production if it helps the team become markedly better. I just don't know if Amare gets us any closer to a title than what we've already got. The only way I'd trade for Amare is if it meant we also got a center-type in a multi-team trade. Just trading Marion and Beasley for Amare leaves us in the exact same situation with sex-ay names instead: no center and an excess of starter-quality PFs.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#425 » by GameTime_3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:42 am

I could see Riley making the move after the nuggets game. It gives the Heat about a week to get familiar. Riley is holding out for Amare or Bosh but more then likely, the Heat end with J.O.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#426 » by rsavaj » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:16 am

Riley: We'll give you Beasley+expirings
Kerr: Marion+Beasley
Riley: No go man, we need Marion for JO or Tyson
Kerr: MARION+BEASLEY!
Riley: Fine, what are you going to throw in to make the salaries match
Kerr: A fine young 6'5 PF named Alando Tucker and the second best point guard in the draft, Goran Tragi, erhem I mean Dragic
Riley: No.
Kerr: Come on, please?
Riley: No. We want Barbosa. It's better value for us, and it saves you money.
Kerr: Ooooh, Robert does love saving money.....but nah, can't throw in Barbosa...unless....
Riley: Unless what?
Kerr: Unless you throw in Chalmers, and maybe a first round draft pick
Riley: *click*
Kerr to PR person: Let the press know that we are "looking elsewhere" in the Amare trade talks.

So....that's kind of what I've gathered went on, anybody want to educate/correct me?
LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Post#427 » by LEIF » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 am

rsavaj wrote:Riley: We'll give you Beasley+expirings
Kerr: Marion+Beasley
Riley: No go man, we need Marion for JO or Tyson
Kerr: MARION+BEASLEY!
Riley: Fine, what are you going to throw in to make the salaries match
Kerr: A fine young 6'5 PF named Alando Tucker and the second best point guard in the draft, Goran Tragi, erhem I mean Dragic
Riley: No.
Kerr: Come on, please?
Riley: No. We want Barbosa. It's better value for us, and it saves you money.
Kerr: Ooooh, Robert does love saving money.....but nah, can't throw in Barbosa...unless....
Riley: Unless what?
Kerr: Unless you throw in Chalmers, and maybe a first round draft pick
Riley: *click*
Kerr to PR person: Let the press know that we are "looking elsewhere" in the Amare trade talks.

So....that's kind of what I've gathered went on, anybody want to educate/correct me?

I agree that this is how the conversation went between Kerr and Riley, I doubt Kerr becomes THE NEGOITATOR (spellcheck LOL) when dealing with Riles................

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
BFO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49

Post#428 » by BFO » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:23 am

Hmm, I think the newbies have lots of upside and have you seen their wingspan?? They play bigger than they actually are and have world-class athleticism. Sure, there will be growing pains and some teething but they have tremendous upside. Did I mention their upside? As well as their length?
MartyConlonJr
General Manager

Post#429 » by MartyConlonJr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 am

I think I could handle a 9 day coma.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,054

Post#430 » by DBurks2818 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 am

BFO wrote:

Hmm, I think the newbies have lots of upside and have you seen their wingspan?? They play bigger than they actually are and have world-class athleticism. Sure, there will be growing pains and some teething but they have tremendous upside. Did I mention their upside? As well as their length?

Yeah, it took me 1500 posts to reach my potential and become a consistent contributor here.

You've gotta be patient with the young guys so that they maintain the confidence to keep posting more quality stuff. tsherkins don't just grow on trees. You've gotta develop them.
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#431 » by miamiballer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 am

if riley really offered marion and beasley for amare and barbosa he should not add a dime as that is by far the best deal given the market value of amare

if the amare deal goesnt get done go ahead and do the jermaine o neal trade

next yr we get a read on beasley and his development...if he develops then we are set...if not, then try to trade him for bosh
MartyConlonJr
General Manager

Post#432 » by MartyConlonJr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 am

I remember when BFO entered the board. He was young, brash, posting big numbers and eclipsed me in career posts quite quickly . A lot of them were 'empty' posts though. And now he posts far less, but when he posts, they make all the difference.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#433 » by Iputsomepantson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 am

I like to think of myself as the Randy Moss of the RealGM forums, I take days off. Weeks and months even if nothing is interesting.

But then you get me an interesting subject to write about and nobody can stop me. Aint that right? That's right.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#434 » by Iputsomepantson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 am

GameTime_3 wrote:I could see Riley making the move after the nuggets game. It gives the Heat about a week to get familiar. Riley is holding out for Amare or Bosh but more then likely, the Heat end with J.O.

Wouldn't it be funny if Amare got traded before the All-Star game? I wonder if he would still be allowed to wear a west uniform?
Zombie_Jesus
Junior

Post#435 » by Zombie_Jesus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:16 am

Ive watched the last two Suns games focusing hard on Amare. Its only served to reinforce my belief that I dont want him.

He's fantastic offensively, but thats about it. He doesnt even ATTEMPT to play one iota of defense. Its very different from say Quinn TRYING to play defense and not being able to match up with the other talent in the league, or Beasley trying to play defense and being flat out inexperienced and green - from what I saw in these last two games, Amare DOES NOT TRY TO GUARD ANYONE WHATSOEVER. He's also overrated as a rebounder and gets by on being athletic but has very poor hustle.

I dont think hed match up with the Miami Heat culture. Athletic freak, offensive beast, yeah he's all of that, but he seems to not care at times out on the court. At least Beasley looks like hes eager to learn and be coached.

I am very confident Beasley will be just as offensively productive as Amare in at most two more seasons as long as hes given the minutes. But Beasley also has the potential to be a defensive player if hes open to learning and working hard. Sure, it aint guaranteed that he'll be a good defender, but at least theres a shot and hes open to developing in our system. With Amare, you KNOW he'll never play any defense for you.

Marion/Banks for J.O. and call it a day.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#436 » by Iputsomepantson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:32 am

I think the Amare argument is pretty much dead. Positions have been taken and we both understand eachothers point of view. But as I posted on Ethan Skolnick's blog: I think the big question [we] should be asking isn't "should we trade Beasley for Amare", but rather "Are we comfortable with the idea of having a Wade-Beasley 1-2 punch for the rest of Wade's good years (if he doesn't leave)?"

I'm not.
rgw
Junior

Post#437 » by rgw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:53 am

I'm more comfortable with Wade-Beasley than Wade-Amare. Amare hasn't proved he can produce outside of a high-tempo offense paced by a pass-first point guard.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#438 » by Iputsomepantson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 am

rgw wrote:I'm more comfortable with Wade-Beasley than Wade-Amare. Amare hasn't proved he can produce outside of a high-tempo offense paced by a pass-first point guard.

That's not the question. I said it's NOT a matter of Amare. It's a matter of Beasley. Are we comfortable with him as our 2nd option?
rgw
Junior

Post#439 » by rgw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:19 am

Oh, sorry...I guess I misinterpreted where you were going with that. Right now, Beasley as a second option is iffy...he's prone to rookie mistakes and cheapy fouls. Long term, I think he has more potential that Amare.
BFO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49

Post#440 » by BFO » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:34 am

MartyConlonJr wrote:I remember when BFO entered the board. He was young, brash, posting big numbers and eclipsed me in career posts quite quickly . A lot of them were 'empty' posts though. And now he posts far less, but when he posts, they make all the difference.

I was gonna wait till my tell-all book was released but the subject couldn't be stuffed writing it so I will give you a taste here....

The real reason BFO (I would so write my memoirs in the third person) slowed down his posting on RGM was due to his work promoting him to a job where he was on the road and not in the office all day. It also had something to do with Lamar Odom being traded but that is another chapter all together. There is also the problem that BFO found someone to reproduce with and had a kid, for some reason Mrs BFO expects BFO to do stuff with said child and also do stuff around the house.

So now BFO generally only gets on RGM after a hard day at work, helping a young child develop and doing at least two things around the house to help Mrs BFO; usually cooking and dishes. Then BFO hopes to sit down with his keyboard and read some interesting banter amongst fellow Heat fans only to find some douchebag (or two) complaining because we have one of the brightest young coaches in the league and also that we are blessed with the opportunity to bring our promising rookie along slowly setting him up for a very bright future. Hmm, BFO knows why his posting numbers have gone down.

On a brighter note, it does appear we are heading in a better direction with the topics/conversation than we were about six months back.

BTW, I saw Wrestler today; thoroughly enjoyed it and thought Rourke was terrific. He's much deserved of the awards he is winning.

Return to Miami Heat