ImageImageImage

Let's talk about Mario Chalmers

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 678

Re: Let's talk about Mario Chalmers 

Post#16 » by Chessboxer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 am

He's a very inconsistent erratic player. Out of five games he'll probably have one great (Lakers), one a "okay: one, and 3 lackluster ones.

Positives are his he is a good (albiet streaky) outside shooter, and is great in the passing lanes. His deficiences are more glaring when you consider they seem to be mental. He can't finish well because he's scared of getting his shot blocked (J- Will was great at finishing around the basket). He's not that best decision maker, and takes some head scratching shots. I mean shots that make you say, "wth was he thinking?". Despite the fact he is not a that great of a ballhandler, he does have a good A/TO ratio.

So, while I agree he more of a backup, he is still only a second year player who can get a lot better with experience. He'll never be a big threat offensively but with experience he can develop into a solid PG who doesn't turn the ball over, takes good shots and plays solid defense. But his ceiling is not that high.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
Iputsomepantson
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Iputsomepantson » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:41 am

Is Chalmers starting caliber? No.

But the bigger problem I think is Spoelstra. The fact that we came out FLAT tonight is absolutely pathetic and a large part of that blame has to be placed on our coach. Our team is playing like absolute crap right now.

We will not win a championship with Spoelstra as coach.
drivewayball
Suspended
And1: 68

Post#18 » by drivewayball » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Mario is a very likeable kid who is lacking in NBA quality skills and athleticism. Although I am far from being a Carlos Arroyo fan, I would start him ahead of Chalmers. Actually, I would just go with Wade as my point guard.
hoop2020
Ballboy

Post#19 » by hoop2020 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Before you think about who should coach a championship team, you should get that team.

Look at that Memphis game last night. Diawara was a surprise starter, but who would you have started instead? I figured Spo was putting in a defender to try to stave off Rudy Gay for awhile.

Would you have started James Jones? Gay ate him alive later in the game. How about Dorrell? That sounds okay, but who would you then bring off the bench?

You have to face it, no front court Heat player would have started for Memphis. (While I'm not a big fan of Zach Randolph, he's having a better year than Beas.) The only Heat that would make the Memphis starting line-up would be Wade.

I'm not down on Spo like you are. In fact, I think he's done a very good job coaching a team that is just not that talented.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,467

Post#20 » by insfo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 am

hoop2020 wrote:Before you think about who should coach a championship team, you should get that team.

Look at that Memphis game last night. Diawara was a surprise starter, but who would you have started instead? I figured Spo was putting in a defender to try to stave off Rudy Gay for awhile.

Would you have started James Jones? Gay ate him alive later in the game. How about Dorrell? That sounds okay, but who would you then bring off the bench?

You have to face it, no front court Heat player would have started for Memphis. (While I'm not a big fan of Zach Randolph, he's having a better year than Beas.) The only Heat that would make the Memphis starting line-up would be Wade.

I'm not down on Spo like you are. In fact, I think he's done a very good job coaching a team that is just not that talented.

solid first post.

I don't know how I didn't before, but I see a quite a bit of Zach in Beasley .. must be the sweet leftly stroke :)

And seriously, Is this the team that lost to the Lakers @ the buzzer? I guess we do not match up well against young athletic teams and the loss of Q was also a big factor.

Chalmers .. not sure what to think. Like him one moment, don't the next few. Hopefully that is just the inconsistencies of youth!
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#21 » by puppa bear » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:32 pm

Chalmers is good for the contract we have him on, and will make a great back-up! His game may eventually become consistent enough to be a starter on a championship team, but only if we have 2 or 3 franchise players there with him (like Rondo is in Boston)
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#22 » by Flash3 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 pm

^like i've said all along, we need players on this team that can hide his deficiencies on the court.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Scum Freezebag
Sixth Man
And1: 22

Post#23 » by Scum Freezebag » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm

My biggest disappointment is that he lacks the qualities of a natural born leader. He doesn't strike me as a take-charge kind of guy. Even "game managers" like Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer* must've had some presence in the huddle. He's limited physically, so he has to make up for it with intangibles. He'll need to develop some kind of persona -- the dictator guy, the trash-talking guy, the intense guy, the calm-under-pressure guy, the high-fiving guy, the whatever guy -- to help compensate for not being able to run very fast or jump very high. I'd be sh*tting bricks too if I had to share a backcourt with Dwyane Wade, but he 's got to stop being so invisible.

Also, he's got the boyish features of that guy who hits their mid-30s and still looks like he just graduated college. He should be grateful for that.

* Why is he on TV?
flip_sanchez
Senior
And1: 46

Post#24 » by flip_sanchez » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:29 pm

im a little disappointed of his play but he still have 60 games or so to get it all together.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#25 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Flash3 wrote:^like i've said all along, we need players on this team that can hide his deficiencies on the court.

how about actually having a good PG that isnt gonna get outplayed on a nightly basis?
A guy with so many deficiencies needs to be where he belongs, on the bench. I could see Beverly taking his spot next season. Or a veteran PG could do a better job next season, theres gonna be options out there just like we had options this offseason.
J-Will, Earl Boykins, Jamal Tinsley. Those 3 guys right there were available and unwanted for a while. Boykins is a great scorer. Tinsley and Jwill are great ball-handlers and passers..Jwill can get hot from 3 on certain nights. Chalmers? he still has no identity. Theyre all having better seasons than Chalmers.
Miami's Finest
Starter

Post#26 » by Miami's Finest » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:51 pm

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:
Flash3 wrote:^like i've said all along, we need players on this team that can hide his deficiencies on the court.

how about actually having a good PG that isnt gonna get outplayed on a nightly basis?
A guy with so many deficiencies needs to be where he belongs, on the bench. I could see Beverly taking his spot next season. Or a veteran PG could do a better job next season, theres gonna be options out there just like we had options this offseason.
J-Will, Earl Boykins, Jamal Tinsley. Those 3 guys right there were available and unwanted for a while. Boykins is a great scorer. Tinsley and Jwill are great ball-handlers and passers..Jwill can get hot from 3 on certain nights. Chalmers? he still has no identity. Theyre all having better seasons than Chalmers.

We should have had Beverley here, it's ridiculous that the Quinn contract stopped us from seeing what he had. I read he's been impressive for Olympiakos with good D and took over Von Wafer's spot.

Return to Miami Heat