ImageImageImage

The Official Fire Spo Topic

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,695

The Official Fire Spo Topic 

Post#1 » by HEATVols865 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:34 pm

The experiment is over, this guy's gotta go.

He doesn't know how to utilize the little talent he has.
I don't like Beasley but he's sitting the kid at times that no one understands.
When Beasley is hot he cools him off by not setting up plays for him.
Wade is #1 but there is not a playbook for Beasley, period.
His rotations are as wild and Hurricane Andrew with crazy patterns that make no sense.
He's over his head. Bring a real coach in here and let's get this ship straightened out.
He will cost us Wade and the FA class of 2010;
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: The Official Fire Spo Topic 

Post#2 » by Iputsomepantson » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:54 pm

Agreed.

Here's what I said back in early December about Spo: "But the bigger problem I think is Spoelstra. The fact that we came out FLAT tonight is absolutely pathetic and a large part of that blame has to be placed on our coach. Our team is playing like absolute crap right now."

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=967067&start=15

He's regressing as a coach I feel like, but it could just be the players he's been dealt. Having a team where almost all of the players are in contract years would be difficult for any coach, so I say we wait and see how he does with an actual squad around him.

It's not like we're gonna find any better of a coach right now anyway. So Riley needs to tell Spo to relax, have some patience with the young guys, and just focus on development. Young players regress when they make mistakes and are penalized heavily for it. Spo doesn't understand this. Mistakes are how people learn and playing time is how players make those mistakes. Just look at the Dolphins with Chad Henne, you think Henne would progress if he felt like at any moment he could lose his starting role? Same goes with Bease, Cook, and Chalmers, hell even Wright.

Lighten up Spo! And regain control of your friggin team while you're at it. Otherwise Riley may be forced to fire you cuz noone will wanna play for you!
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#3 » by FlashTheKilla » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:57 pm

I'm in.

A good idea, albeit probably an unrealistic one, is to demote him back to an assistant. Have someone else step in (Riley?), let Spo sit back and get some more experience under his belt. And maybe 5 years down the line he could be a legitimate head coach. It would basically be like him getting a job after undergraduate school to get some experience, then going back to school to get his Master's. Doubtful it would happen though.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#4 » by Iputsomepantson » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:12 pm

FlashTheKilla wrote:A good idea, albeit probably an unrealistic one, is to demote him back to an assistant. Have someone else step in (Riley?), let Spo sit back and get some more experience under his belt. And maybe 5 years down the line he could be a legitimate head coach. It would basically be like him getting a job after undergraduate school to get some experience, then going back to school to get his Master's. Doubtful it would happen though.

Spoelstra DEFINITELY needs more experience. He can't even stop his players from arguing with eachother during games, let alone stand up to D-Wade and tell him to pass Beasley the ball.

It would be one thing if we were a developing squad and our only goal this year was to make the playoffs, like our squad was when SVG first coached the Heat, but this is a veteran team that could have at least 2 really good players next year and an expectation to win a championship. It would be unrealistic for us to expect a third year coach to handle the personalities of elite players, as well as win a championship. If Spoelstra had five more years of experience like you said Flash, that's fine. But every game it seems is a crash course for this guy, as it would be for any new coach in his position.

D-Wade it's obvious has lost respect in Spo, and the rest of the team is giving out too. We need a veteran coach to come in and bring a system this offseason if one becomes available. Byron Scott maybe? I know he's not the greatest coach, but if we had talent like Bosh and Wade, he wouldn't need to be.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,259

Post#5 » by Heat3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:39 pm

Let's trade for Shaq. Only he can help speed up the process.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#6 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:46 pm

Heat3 wrote:Let's trade for Shaq. Only he can help speed up the process.

How about trading for Mark Blount?
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#7 » by DWadeno3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:46 pm

We also need a coach who has the balls to say everybody on this team including Wade that they don't like the way they play. I feel like Spo doesn't have any power against Wade and thus D-Wade doesn't worry about anything if he plays bad or lacks effort.
I think the team doesn't really respect him anymore. We need a veteran coach who has the experience and toughness to say things the way they are. I feel like Spoelstra is holding a lot back.

#HeatLifer
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#8 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:57 pm

100%

Spo has taken this team and run it into a wall. My biggest complaint about Spo is not Beasley but Spo's lack of adjustments. I went to 2 different games with different friends. I brought them an excel sheet of where I thought certain people would be taken out and what plays would be run, both games all 10 things on my sheet happened. Your telling me that a coach for an NBA team sees that can't do a couple things to capitalize on hes lack of adjustments? Second thing that hes down is the way we always look to the bench for a play. Give this team some freedom, we no longer have Shaq to slow the game up to and throw into the post, we need easy buckets to compete. Another example of hes coaching is Beasley. Are we trying to develop our youth(Joel getting minutes to develop over Jamal) but yet our 2nd overall pick gets bench behind a 12-8 role player? Every game it seems that no matter how Beasley plays, Haslem will finish out the game or play the entire 3rd/4th. Beasley needs to be developed. People are not hating on Haslem, we all love the guy and everything hes done for us throughout the years here. But we all know that the future is Beasley, Either by Trade or by Development. Were going into the 2nd year of Beasley and we still have no clue how good this kid can be and finally I would love for this coach to come and say what he truly thinks. After ever game were we question what he was thinking all we hear is "We were looking for the right match up" or "they did acouple of things and we did a change, Its not Michaels fault" Well were losing some games were we shouldn't have lost and if it isnt Michael Fault, or Wade's then whos fault it is?
Miami's Finest
Starter

Post#9 » by Miami's Finest » Fri Jan 1, 2010 8:15 pm

It needs to be done without a doubt. And it has nothing to do with wins and losses b/c we are exactly where we were last season. But he is not the coach that can lead this team anywhere, and what big name FA is going to choose to come here if they don't have faith in the coach?

There is no in-game adjustments, his subbing patterns are horrible and player development is non-existent. Even players like Wade need to be coached (just look at last night with numerous dumb shots and failing to get into the offense) that Spo is incapable of doing. I could deal with some of his mistakes as learning experiences but he has never learned and its the same mistakes over and over.

I think just give him a demotion, there is no way he gets a job anywhere else in the NBA so I'm sure he'd accept going back onto the bench.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#10 » by Iputsomepantson » Fri Jan 1, 2010 8:45 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:We also need a coach who has the balls to say everybody on this team including Wade that they don't like the way they play. I feel like Spo doesn't have any power against Wade and thus D-Wade doesn't worry about anything if he plays bad or lacks effort.

He can't even stop his players from arguing with eachother during games, let alone stand up to D-Wade and tell him to pass Beasley the ball

DWadeno3 wrote:I think the team doesn't really respect him anymore.

D-Wade it's obvious has lost respect in Spo, and the rest of the team is giving out too.

DWadeno3 wrote:We need a veteran coach who has the experience and toughness to say things the way they are. I feel like Spoelstra is holding a lot back.

We need a veteran coach to come in and bring a system this offseason if one becomes available.

Thank you for saying almost everything I said.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#11 » by Flash3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:11 pm

WTF?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#12 » by abark » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:14 pm

This topic is long overdue. It's hard to comment on what he does in practice, but as an in game coach he is awful. Robotic rotations that don't seem to take into account how the guys are playing, horrible player development, and no noticeable adjustments throughout the game in general.

I remember seeing Dequan covering Durant the last time we played the Thunder. We started Yakouba for 2 games in a row when he had previously been racking up DNP's. Thank god Qrich came back or he might still be starting (instead of being inactive like he is now). And I don't even want to get into how the Beasley/Haslem situation is being handled.

Maybe I'm spoiled after years of Riley, but I always felt that Van Gundy was competent in his short time as head coach. I have never felt that way about Spo.

I guess some people are going to defend the guy because of their attachment to the team, but I don't see how you could objectively defend him. Bottom line: a fan that thinks Spo is doing a good job right now, is a fan that would never see fault in whoever is coaching this team.

At best maybe I could see someone being under the impression that he's young and will improve. We talk about how we need our young guys need to develop but I think it may be even more true for our coach.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#13 » by Iputsomepantson » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:26 pm

abark wrote:
Maybe I'm spoiled after years of Riley, but I always felt that Van Gundy was competent in his short time as head coach. I have never felt that way about Spo.

The first two seasons of SVG I never felt he was a bad coach, but in year 3 I knew he had to go. He lost the team.

Spo I think had the support of his team last year, but this year it's gone. Maybe it will pick up this summer with a better squad, but we gotta see some progress from the guy this season for me to even be slightly optimistic that he will improve.
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by DraftBoy10 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:38 pm

We all know how Riley works, let Spo or some other lameduck coach do the garbage work(rebuilding time), but when 2010 rolls, and if you guys get a competitive unit. Riley's back to the sidelines.
DWadeno3
RealGM

Post#15 » by DWadeno3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:41 pm

Iputsomepantson wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:We also need a coach who has the balls to say everybody on this team including Wade that they don't like the way they play. I feel like Spo doesn't have any power against Wade and thus D-Wade doesn't worry about anything if he plays bad or lacks effort.

He can't even stop his players from arguing with eachother during games, let alone stand up to D-Wade and tell him to pass Beasley the ball

DWadeno3 wrote:I think the team doesn't really respect him anymore.

D-Wade it's obvious has lost respect in Spo, and the rest of the team is giving out too.

DWadeno3 wrote:We need a veteran coach who has the experience and toughness to say things the way they are. I feel like Spoelstra is holding a lot back.

We need a veteran coach to come in and bring a system this offseason if one becomes available.

Thank you for saying almost everything I said.

Not really because my post was more a secret criticism of Wade.

#HeatLifer
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#16 » by Flash3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:44 pm

If you guys are so insistent on firing him, who do you guys have in mind that would be better?

And, to those who are saying Spo = Dave Wansteddt is mind-numbingly (Please Use More Appropriate Word), because while their coaching ability might be in question, there's quite a bit to say Spo is at least competent in other regards including coaching....
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Miami's Finest
Starter

Post#17 » by Miami's Finest » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:51 pm

I would never compare Spo to Dave Wannstedt.

Wannstache at least had experience and was good at somethings (including defense). Spo is a video editor in way over his head.
DWadeno3
RealGM

Post#18 » by DWadeno3 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 9:51 pm

Miami's Finest wrote:It needs to be done without a doubt. And it has nothing to do with wins and losses b/c we are exactly where we were last season. But he is not the coach that can lead this team anywhere, and what big name FA is going to choose to come here if they don't have faith in the coach?

There is no in-game adjustments, his subbing patterns are horrible and player development is non-existent. Even players like Wade need to be coached (just look at last night with numerous dumb shots and failing to get into the offense) that Spo is incapable of doing. I could deal with some of his mistakes as learning experiences but he has never learned and its the same mistakes over and over.

I think just give him a demotion, there is no way he gets a job anywhere else in the NBA so I'm sure he'd accept going back onto the bench.

Every great player makes mistakes so yes, even Wade needs to be coached because as a coach you see things your player might not see or you cool him down (but I guess that's what you mean). If you've ever played basketball, then you see the difference of actually being out there and sitting on the bench. The game looks a whole lot different. But again, there's the problem of the players not respecting him. The thing is just, does Riley see it the same way or does he even care about this season?

@Flash3: That's something I was thinking about too. What's the alternative? I mean, there might be Byron Scott out there but would he really be an improvement after it was just "give the ball to CP3 and let him decide" this season?

#HeatLifer
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#19 » by Iputsomepantson » Fri Jan 1, 2010 10:24 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:
@Flash3: That's something I was thinking about too. What's the alternative? I mean, there might be Byron Scott out there but would he really be an improvement after it was just "give the ball to CP3 and let him decide" this season?

We need a veteran coach to come in and bring a system this offseason if one becomes available. Byron Scott maybe? I know he's not the greatest coach, but if we had talent like Bosh and Wade, he wouldn't need to be.

Did you make that post without knowledge of my post? Seriously....

Not really because my post was more a secret criticism of Wade.

Mine was too. D-Wade is a diva and Spo can't handle it.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,330

Post#20 » by insfo » Fri Jan 1, 2010 10:32 pm

The Heat should hold a lottery on RealGM and choose Spo's replacement from here. I'm sure everyone one of the posters here would do a better job since all it would take is to play Beasley 48 minutes .. unless it is a blowout of course .. then we would go 82-0!

Seriously though, if Riley were to replace Spo .. I hope it would be for SVG .. assuming Dwight has had enough of him and gets him fired.

Another point which someone made sometime back .. how about firing our Assistant coaches and getting some really competent ones? Ron Rosthstein ?? Really ????? COY Brown depends on his "offensive coach" to even call plays at the end of games. Which of our asst coaches can do that? Riley always had assistants he could depend on to help him during the course of the game .. who does Spo have?

Anways, sorry to rain on anyone's parade .. please continue ... "FIRE SPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Return to Miami Heat