ImageImageImage

The Official Fire Spo Topic

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Re: The Official Fire Spo Topic 

Post#61 » by DWadeno3 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:20 am

Iputsomepantson wrote:
BFO wrote:Spo has done nothing?

The problem with Spo and our young player development is effort in particular. In fact, effort is lacking from the whole team, not just our young players. Maybe Chalmers, Cook, Beasley, and even Wright are right where they should be given their talent, but this whole season I've noticed the team in general has been lacking effort.

For example, today the reason why we lost was not because of talent, but because we were outcoached and outhustled.

Few outcoach Larry Brown though, so I'm not gonna rag on Spo for that. But if you disagree that we weren't hustling today, all you gotta do is look at the stats. They shot 15 more FT's than us, they shot over 50% while we didn't, and most importantly, we shot 24 3 pointers.

****************************** IPSPO Breaking Fact Report *******************************
Why are 3 pointers most important? Teams in general take 3 pointers when they want an easy basket and are not hustling. The average amount of 3 pointers attempted by a team in a game this year is about 17. In games we shot 17 or less 3 pointers we are 13-6. In games we shot 18 or more 3 pointers we are 3-9 (2 of those 3 wins came while shooting significantly less threes than the opposition and the 3rd win was a 1 point miracle win against the Nets).
******************************************************************************************************************************

If you think Spo couldn't demand more out of our players today, you would be mistaken.

+1. That's something I've been talking about for quite a while now. We lack effort. I've been saying for a while that if you're not talented enough to win then at least work hard. So I couldn't agree more with your post.

One other thing that just came to my mind. Is it possible that we had lot more handoffs last season for Wade which allowed him to cut to the basket or shoot a midrange-shot? I feel like that was pretty efficient and we've walked away a little bit from it.

#HeatLifer
MiamiHustlin
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#62 » by MiamiHustlin » Sun Jan 3, 2010 5:04 am

lets face it, were still dealing with a rookie head coach. the players know it and the fans know it. you cant tell me the players are intimidated by him and have any sort of motivation to play hard for him, as opposed to a coach like, say, Pat Riley. the players have one motivating factor, and thats #3, and he is having a bad year. any coach with any sort of experience in the league would help and would gather more respect than Spo ever will. These players will always know him as an assistant coach playing head coach.
The Heats fire
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#63 » by The Heats fire » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:10 am

Please fire Spo. I can accept the fact that we're a young developing team and it takes time for everything to work out, I accept that 2010 is the big free agent year for us, what I can't except though is the fact that Spoelstra wastes all of our younger talent, espescially Beasley, which leads to them not gaining much condfidence and costs us wins. We won against Orlando at their home, and we lose to the bobcats at home? To the bobcats? Really? That shows how much of a sucking coach Spo is. With a better coach we could easyly compete with Atlanta. And for all those Spohomers(can't believe there are even poeple defending him for whatever reason), his incompetence is only covered by Dwyane Wades ability to decide games by himself. Without D-Wade and Beasley you would see how much he sucks. So Heat fans, I don't know what's going on in Riley's mind but if you bring in signs to the AAA saying "Fire Spoelstra". The more people do this the more Riles will realize how bad we want the videocoordinator gone.
Wade is the Real MVP. No one can deny it.
Iputsomepantson
Banned User

Post#64 » by Iputsomepantson » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:18 am

DWadeno3 wrote:
+1. That's something I've been talking about for quite a while now. We lack effort. I've been saying for a while that if you're not talented enough to win then at least work hard. So I couldn't agree more with your post.

One other thing that just came to my mind. Is it possible that we had lot more handoffs last season for Wade which allowed him to cut to the basket or shoot a midrange-shot? I feel like that was pretty efficient and we've walked away a little bit from it.

The Heat's lack of effort is apparent to even more than just us too. But yeah, I think we did have more handoffs last season, though that could be because our PG situation has digressed this year.
The Heats fire
Sophomore

Post#65 » by The Heats fire » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:27 am

BFO wrote:We aren't exactly a great "home" team either.

You can't tell me Beasley isn't a better player than last year.

Chalmers; well, have we ever been convinced he is more than a serviceable back-up?

Cook; as Ira pointed out today, perhaps his hot streak last season was the abberation, not the current slump he is in currently.

Wright; finally not injured, jury has always been out on him. Probably will only ever be a handy back-up.

Not sure what everyone expected of them. Did I expect Cook to go on with it, sure. But he is a shooter, he is getting open looks, he just isn't knocking them down. Spo even runs plays for him to get him going. Not sure what else you want Spo to do.
Beasley is much more assured this year and seems really confident understanding the defensive rotations, even though he is far from perfect. To me that is a great sign, and will translate throughout his career.

Spo has done nothing? So arguably one of the top GMs and all-time greatest coaches of our time promotes someone who is crap? Seriously, give Riley some respect.

Why are you defending Spoelstra? If Beasley is imrpoving he should give him more than 24-27 minutes a game. He loves Haslem too much. And we can't afford a coach who prefers a veteran solid PF while disadvantaging our biggest future building block apart from Wade. And thats what makes him a bad coach. He's like a pokerplay with one of the best hands but doesn't play out his best cards. And that's what's frustating most posters here, myself included.
The Heats fire
Sophomore

Post#66 » by The Heats fire » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:40 am

We were supposed this year to be better than last year. But despite our youngsters making playoffexperiences and trading Blount for Richardson we got worse. How can that be? It's Spoelstra. The veterans learned that he gives them the edge over our future talent(Beasley) and allows them everything while the youngsters understand that he's trying his best to give them as few minutes as he can. That would explain Chalmers regress this season. The only one who's leaning up against Spoelstra is Beasley by saying out loud that he isn't comfortable with the minutes he gets and tries to do his best very often. I don't want to see Spoelstra in Miami no more, wheter as a coach, scout, videocoordinator, or even as a fan. Every time I see him I'm getting angry. I hope Micky Arison is intelligent enough and invetigates his money in a new coach. Hopefully Spoelstra resigns.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#67 » by Wade2k6 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:53 am

Honestly, he would be much better served as an assistant coach. He is a good coach in between games and getting the team familiar with what the other teams going to do, but just seems a step late and a second short on adjustments during games. That sounds like a perfect assistant coach, but a person not yet ready to take over full-time duties as a head coach.
The Heats fire
Sophomore

Post#68 » by The Heats fire » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:58 am

Now that I learned that this was just the second time this season that the bobcats won on the road I'm even more pissed off. Spoelstra stops negative records of other teams. Damn, please fire this guy, he's not safe from me, I'd even take a man, a stranger outside from the street give him 10000 dollars a month and handle him Spo's job. He can't do any worse and when he does bad at least we can understand it. The NBA "where Spoelstra making **** and wasting talent while helping the opposing teams vanish bad records" happens.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#69 » by HIF » Sun Jan 3, 2010 11:53 am

Byron Scott! hahahaha
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
BFO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49

Post#70 » by BFO » Sun Jan 3, 2010 1:06 pm

And that is exactly why this team is where it is.

Coach Brown over in Cleveland isn't a very good coach, this has been discussed and disected in numerous papers and TV segments. This however hasn't stopped the Cavs amassing a very good win-loss ratio and their team (which might I add is made up of players from everywhere else like ours) plays with consistent effort most nights. He was out-coached in the finals but this, as we know after having Riley, is the difference between good and great coaches......good coaches win in the season, great coaches win in the playoffs. This is my only concern about Spo from last year; he didn't seem to make the mid-series adjustment, but I reckon he might've learnt a far bit from the experience.

So by all means question the team's effort, but don't lump it entirely on Spo. I would guess that most of the players earn more than Spo, even though he is the "boss". I know when I collect my pay cheque, I have earned it. I don't rely on my boss to get me "up" everyday, I go out and earn my money. Do I need inspiration from time to time to push me to greater things? Sure. But I look for that inspiration from many places, not just my boss. My boss's role (and Spo's) is to prepare me for what I might face which will allow me to perform to my maximum ability. Sometimes my boss takes me through stuff and I don't always pay attention, as a result I stuff up. Other times I don't turn up ready to work due to a night on the Wild Turkey which isn't my boss's fault.

What I am saying is it aint all Spo. As adults, our players need to take responsibility too.
BFO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by BFO » Sun Jan 3, 2010 1:27 pm

The Heats fire wrote:We were supposed this year to be better than last year. But despite our youngsters making playoffexperiences and trading Blount for Richardson we got worse. How can that be? It's Spoelstra. The veterans learned that he gives them the edge over our future talent(Beasley) and allows them everything while the youngsters understand that he's trying his best to give them as few minutes as he can. That would explain Chalmers regress this season. The only one who's leaning up against Spoelstra is Beasley by saying out loud that he isn't comfortable with the minutes he gets and tries to do his best very often. I don't want to see Spoelstra in Miami no more, wheter as a coach, scout, videocoordinator, or even as a fan. Every time I see him I'm getting angry. I hope Micky Arison is intelligent enough and invetigates his money in a new coach. Hopefully Spoelstra resigns.

Um, are we talking about the same Chalmers? The one who started every game last year despite acting up on a couple of occasions? The one who started every game this year until he acted up again? Maybe Mario needs to take some responsibility for himself.

And as for the comment about Beasley's minutes......The same Beasley who is averaging 31+ minutes per game this year? The same Beasley who despite a plethora of off-season issues has started every game and is playing seven minutes more per game than last year?

What other young player did we have that was any good.....oh, Cook. The same Cook who has a career best of 38% from the field, in his rookie year no-less. And has a career best 3P% of 38% too?

Truth be told, other than Beasley, our youth might not actually be that good. I know that is hard to grasp for some, because that means we need to start over.....but why don't you think many contracts run through 2010? Riley isn't an idiot.
Dresta
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#72 » by Dresta » Sun Jan 3, 2010 1:39 pm

Everyone knows that Lebron is the Cavs coach at least on offense. And Brown is a very good defensive coach anyway. We don't have a Lebron.
BFO
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by BFO » Sun Jan 3, 2010 1:50 pm

Exactly my point. The player takes responsibility for his performance and pushes his peers to do likewise.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#74 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:40 pm

I missed this from last week. In case anyone else missed it...

http://www.hoopsnotes.com/2009/12/spoel ... -comments/
Dec 22nd

The last time Wade and the Heat appeared on ESPN, on Dec. 4 against the Los Angeles Lakers, Van Gundy and fellow ESPN analyst Mark Jackson noted Wade taking his time getting back on defense.

“That wasn’t a one-game thing for him in transition,” the former New York Knicks and Houston Rockets coach said during a conference call of national media. “I think it’s something that’s crept in over the past few years, that happens more than it should. And I think it could be corrected by him if he chooses to and I hope he does.”

After Monday’s film session and light shooting work by his team at AmericanAirlines Arena, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra challenged the notion.

“I don’t think Jeff’s comments are accurate,” Spoelstra said. “What happens a lot of times is Dwyane attacks. He goes to the rim. In many instances, he’s going to be last guy back, after some kind of layup attempt or dunk attempt at the rim.”

Van Gundy said seeing a player of Wade’s status failing to hustle back on defense can pollute a team.

“I think it’s incumbent on the best player to demand of himself what he would demand of his teammates,” Van Gundy said. “There’s a couple of things you’re in great control over, if you’re a player or a team, and that’s your level of effort, particularly in transition.”

Spoelstra, however, noted that the Heat ranks sixth-best in the NBA in transition defense.

“You look at the numbers,” Spoelstra said, “it doesn’t substantiate that point.”

Just as he did with Van Gundy’s initial comments during that Dec. 4 broadcast, Wade blew off the criticism.

“I can throw shots back if I wanted to, at Jeff,” he said. “But I just don’t do that. Everybody’s going to have their own opinion. Just because he’s on TV, we look at him as an expert.”

As for Jeff and other media critics, Wade just smiled and said, “It’s their job to say things to make it seem like they’re geniuses. They have to keep their job. They need the paychecks to keep coming in. So if I can help him get bigger paychecks, that’s fine.”
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#75 » by miamiballer » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:06 pm

i wouldnt fire spo now, i dont want to create turmoil going into the 2010 offseason

instead, i would fire him after we land our crop in 2010 and ironically go after JVG...he is battletested, proven and a riley disciple...would be awesome to see those orl-mia battles

we need to sign bosh and split the balance of cash b/w q rich and steve blake

Bosh/joel (min)
beasley/draft pick
q rich/wright (min)/draft pick
wade/cook
blake/chalmers

coach: JVG

as for the draft, either monroe or cousins and babbit (we need a sf who can lights out)
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#76 » by HIF » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:15 pm

You think Bosh and Steve blake turn this team into champions?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#77 » by miamiballer » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:16 pm

HIF wrote:You think Bosh and Steve blake turn this team into champions?

what do you propose, its the best we can do
Dresta
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#78 » by Dresta » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:18 pm

With further development from Beasley it definitely makes us legitimate contenders. Depends if Wade can play at the same level as last year also.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#79 » by Heat_team02 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:27 pm

I've thought long about Blake but he's not the answer at point guard. I watched Luke Ridnour play last night and he would be a better option although a bit pricier by a couple mil.

About 4-5 years back I was clamoring for Blake, Barnes and Andre Miller but today I would pass on Blake.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#80 » by DWadeno3 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 4:04 pm

Dresta wrote:Everyone knows that Lebron is the Cavs coach at least on offense. And Brown is a very good defensive coach anyway. We don't have a Lebron.

But we have Dwyane who, basketball wise, is not worse than LeBron. The only advantage LeBron has over him is his strength and size.

#HeatLifer

Return to Miami Heat