*OFFICIAL* Flames Draft discussion

The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

*OFFICIAL* Flames Draft discussion 

Post#1 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 pm

Well the NHL draft is coming up soon and so I decided to make a thread based on the flames draft and news/rumours.

SO we pick 18th overall in the draft who do you want??

Pick by Pick Updater

Ok so update: Flames traded 18 for 24 and a second

24: Mikheal Backlund Sweded Forward
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#2 » by moose man » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:42 pm

I want Sutter, but I think we'll end up with someone like Oscar Moeller, Colton Gillies or Jonathon Blum.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#3 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:09 am

I badly wanted Esposito and they trade the pick. For 24 and 70?? Surely with Esposito on the board they could at least keep it or get much more than that.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by moose man » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:05 am

I like the Backlund pic, I've played against the kid and hes something special. Not only is he good offensively but hes good defensively. A lot of teams were scared off of him because of injury concerns with his knee, but it looks as though that is all cleared up. If that doesn't bother him we got a steal with him at this spot. Esposito would've been nice but I can't picture him succeeding under Keenan or Sutter.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#5 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:29 pm

moose man wrote:I like the Backlund pic, I've played against the kid and hes something special. Not only is he good offensively but hes good defensively. A lot of teams were scared off of him because of injury concerns with his knee, but it looks as though that is all cleared up. If that doesn't bother him we got a steal with him at this spot. Esposito would've been nice but I can't picture him succeeding under Keenan or Sutter.

You played against him?? where??? And congrats on plaing that level of hockey if you played a first round pick at some point in your life.

Esposito I really wanted like hes all offense and thats what the flames need in the future..... watching clips of this guy and dangling everybody is just amazing.

Backlund IMO at his peak can get these stats: 30g 45a +15 and about 60 PM.

Not bad at all IMO.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#6 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Actually just remembered..... for the next 10 years imagine this:

Oh and the Flames are pressed on the defensive side they need a line change.... Backlund steals the puck and is that a streaking lombardi he hits tehe tape and Lombardi scores!!!

Backlund Lombo and Moss are perfect compliments of each other.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moose man » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:06 pm

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You played against him?? where??? And congrats on plaing that level of hockey if you played a first round pick at some point in your life.

Esposito I really wanted like hes all offense and thats what the flames need in the future..... watching clips of this guy and dangling everybody is just amazing.

Backlund IMO at his peak can get these stats: 30g 45a +15 and about 60 PM.

Not bad at all IMO.

I played against him in the Mac's Midget tournament in Calgary. I've also played against Toews and Hickey, also played with some guys that have been drafted in the later rounds. Its Interesting looking back and some guys you would've never thought they'd make and others you were sure they would and they didn't.
I agree with your predictions there, its very possible for him. I like what he brings, lets just hope his knee injury doesn't bother him because thats the only thing really hindering him from being a very good pick at this position.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by moose man » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:13 pm

3rd round:
70. John Negrin

4th Round:
116. Keith Aulie

5th Round:
143. Mickey Renaud

7th Round:
186. C.J. Severyn
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by moose man » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:15 pm

I really hope we pick up Eric Doyle in the 6th Round, he was a highly raed prospect. Most considered him in the first round a while back but a sub par performance in the u-18 for Canada has really made him drop. He's a bigger defenseman at 6+ and he skates real well and has some great hands and vision. Most question his hockey knowledge though.
moose man
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moose man » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:22 pm

I guess we traded our 6th rounder, looks like we traded a lot of our pics away, in a weak draft such as this one I don't mind if we got futures for them.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#11 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:33 pm

The Keenanization of this franchise has begun... take a Euro to stash for a couple years and trading picks. Ughh

Return to Calgary Flames