ImageImage

PG Nets - Bucks Roll (Eventually)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,032

Re: PG Nets - Bucks Roll (Eventually) 

Post#81 » by sidney lanier » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:56 pm

crowhead76 wrote:I do think the Bucks need to improve on defense to be a legitimate contender, however I am holding out hope for a trade for an elite perimeter defender to add to this offensive juggernaut.

Crowder has just missed all-defensive team in the past, and I think he can be a plus defender again. If nothing else, he can help coordinate and organize the defense when he's on the court.

Let's see what he brings before looking elsewhere. Besides, our porous backcourt seems to be getting better on defense. It's hard to tell in today's NBA, though, where everybody scores at will and even Steve Kerr complains about the way the games are called making it impossible to play defense.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#82 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:03 pm

Crowder missed virtually all of last season and now he'll miss around half of this season depending on when he actually gets back on the court. He was injured in mid November and at that time it was said he'd miss "about 2 months". I haven't seen one update since. No footage of him on the court at all, even by himself shooting free throws. I think mid January is generous.

Anything we get from Crowder this year is gravy.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#83 » by jute2003 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:07 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Crowder missed virtually all of last season and now he'll miss around half of this season depending on when he actually gets back on the court. He was injured in mid November and at that time it was said he'd miss "about 2 months". I haven't seen one update since. No footage of him on the court at all, even by himself shooting free throws. I think mid January is generous.

Yah. He's old. Missing that much time and not sucking is asking a lot of anyone. He did look playable to start the year but in an old man knowing how to play kind of way. Communication and intensity is probably the biggest thing he can bring.
only a fan, only an opinion
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#84 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:22 pm

Crowder may help, but I wouldn't bank on him making any huge difference. Guaranteed that Horst has his eyes set on some decent wing defenders in the trade and buyout markets.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#85 » by pifhluk23 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:24 pm

Any talk of improving DRTG or just the defense in general has to have the giant * of how easy the schedule has been and continues to be. Were getting the Cavs Friday without 2/3 of their best players for sure, could be 3/3 depending on Mitchell. Schedule doesn't really get harder until 1/11 and even then we have 3 tough games followed by Pistons x 2 and Cavs x 3 which who knows what shape Cavs will be in at that point.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#86 » by Shaffty » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:53 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:
since switching back to Drop the 5th game of the season they are 15th and only 1 point off 11th

Is 15th good enough? That's sort of the question right? It's directly average in the NBA and can you win a title with an average defense? The Nuggets were able to jump from 15th in the Regular season last year to 4th best in the playoffs, does Milwaukee have the ability to make a similar jump? Philly & Boston both are top 5 in offense & defense so I think I'd put us behind both at the moment, especially when you factor in strength of schedule(Boston has had the hardest schedule in the NBA, Philly is 13th, the Bucks are 29th). None of this is to write off the Bucks but I also think it's fair to be skeptical about such an obvious flaw

just going off of what my eyes tell me our soft schedule and home cooking has made more of an "improvement" than any real scheme changes have

thats not to say the drop hasnt helped but its more of a rinky dink improvement then some great big breakthrough

before the switch to drop we had one of the worst Defenses of all time
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#87 » by BigO » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:56 pm

Scheme and lack of defensive talent at the guard position are the two problems.

Clearly the main defensive problem is too many one foot baskets allowed. I distinguish this from paint points, because difficult floaters can be considered paint points and this is not what the problem is. I think Griffin is aware of this and has been trying different things. His current fix is limiting threes and I'm fine with that.

The problem is you want the emphasis on allowing difficult twos and right now it's a layup drill.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,346

Post#88 » by crkone » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Crowder missed virtually all of last season and now he'll miss around half of this season depending on when he actually gets back on the court. He was injured in mid November and at that time it was said he'd miss "about 2 months". I haven't seen one update since. No footage of him on the court at all, even by himself shooting free throws. I think mid January is generous.

Almost a month ago :D

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,113

Post#89 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:59 pm

Shaffty wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Is 15th good enough? That's sort of the question right? It's directly average in the NBA and can you win a title with an average defense? The Nuggets were able to jump from 15th in the Regular season last year to 4th best in the playoffs, does Milwaukee have the ability to make a similar jump? Philly & Boston both are top 5 in offense & defense so I think I'd put us behind both at the moment, especially when you factor in strength of schedule(Boston has had the hardest schedule in the NBA, Philly is 13th, the Bucks are 29th). None of this is to write off the Bucks but I also think it's fair to be skeptical about such an obvious flaw

just going off of what my eyes tell me our soft schedule and home cooking has made more of an "improvement" than any real scheme changes have

thats not to say the drop hasnt helped but its more of a rinky dink improvement then some great big breakthrough

before the switch to drop we had one of the worst Defenses of all time

we werent even close to the worst defense of all time if youre going to use 5 game samples for such a declaration
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#90 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:05 pm

crkone wrote:

Almost a month ago :D

Read on Twitter

Cool, I missed that
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
JonHeist
Junior
And1: 615

Post#91 » by JonHeist » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:27 pm

tydett wrote:Bucks are gonna give up 125 ppg in the playoffs and dudes here still gonna be like "dang our defense still isn't good, but scoring 140 points a game is awesome!"

ftfy
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,434

Post#92 » by randy84 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 pm

BigO wrote:Scheme and lack of defensive talent at the guard position are the two problems.

Clearly the main defensive problem is too many one foot baskets allowed. I distinguish this from paint points, because difficult floaters can be considered paint points and this is not what the problem is. I think Griffin is aware of this and has been trying different things. His current fix is limiting threes and I'm fine with that.

The problem is you want the emphasis on allowing difficult twos and right now it's a layup drill.

Is limiting 3s the scheme or the players?
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#93 » by BigO » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:10 pm

randy84 wrote:
BigO wrote:Scheme and lack of defensive talent at the guard position are the two problems.

Is limiting 3s the scheme or the players?

Scheme.

I've heard Griffin talk about its importance and I've heard Bucks assistants talk about it on tv during the halftime interview. The Bucks are sixth in the league despite having an overall bad defense.

You can't guard everything really well, so you have to have priorities:

1) Bud's priorities in order of importance:

points within a few feet of the rim
paint points overall
threes
long twos

2) Griffin's (as of today)

three point defense
paint points
points within a few feet
long twos

I generally don't like coaches (the majority) who coach the same way, no matter who the opponent is (many of them are successful). Each opponent has strengths and weaknesses. It's why I favor guys like Spoelstra, Nurse, Kerr, and Donovan, none of whom are rigid in what they do.

I think Griffin will adjust for several reasons, not the least of which is the paint points are so bad it's obvious to everyone.
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#94 » by -Jragon- » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:15 am

That back pass from Beas to Giannis........ signs we are starting to Gel.. reminded me of Wade to Lebron

Return to Milwaukee Bucks