PG Pacers Game 5 - Big Win

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,069

Re: PG Pacers Game 5 - Big Win 

Post#341 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 1, 2024 10:21 pm

steger_3434 wrote:Well with dame and Giannis out I give us around a 30% chance to win. So it’s definitely doable. It’s just a lot to ask of Khris and our role players who generally play worse on the road. I actually feel bad for Khris. Dude is constantly hurt. He’s hurt right now. And he’s playing major minutes to maybe still be knocked out in 6 games.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Agreed. They played their ass off last night. Doing it two more times it's going to be extremely difficult.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,209

Post#342 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 10:21 pm

BigO wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:In his 4 full games this series, Bobby Portis is averaging 18.3 points, 12.5 rebounds, and the Bucks are +51 when he's on the court in those games. He's also been outstanding defensively on Siakam when given that assignment.

Can some of you print this out and put it on the mirror in your bathroom?

I jus read a post that praises BP for his game yesterday and says it makes up for the rest of his play in the series. :banghead:

I should let it be after last game but since the guy who said he was going to stop complaining about people complaining about (valid) Bobby Portis criticism 3 months ago and at no point did I'll throw some back.

His first four games of the series he had a TS% of 47, Siakam is shooting 58% guarded by him this series, the Pacers are shooting 79% against him guarding the rim and he got ejected a game.

Most certainly most of the "making up" is directed at that ejection in a pivotal game where his team needed him the most and could have almost entirely swung the momentum of this series. Nobody is arguing he's not an important member of this team right now. And do your victory lap for that last game for sure but you live in a world where there isn't valid Bobby Portis criticism and that just isn't this world.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,781

Post#343 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 1, 2024 10:31 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if were playing for a championship then weve got 14 games to go. lets enjoy the ride with what weve got and protect our assets. there is no gaurantee whatsoever wed look better with either of them in the lineup hurt and rusty than weve looked the last two games

Giannis doesn't have an injury that risks his achilles, and it absolutely guaranteed we'd look better with him.

im not convinced of either of those statements honestly. ive seen us play without him and the middleton centric offense looks great and the defense and effort with the underdog mentality is the best its been. obviously a healthy giannis makes us better but id have to see however hes limited to decide if it was better for us offensively or defensively to be convinced. id absolutely hate it if all the guys start defering because he comes back and cant perform. we watched that last year. id imagine the staff understands this that way as well

Wow, not sure if the Bucks are better with Giannis? He simply fixes every single thing that's challenged the Bucks in this series. I shouldn't be surprised, this is coming from the guy that thought Jrue was better than Dame. In the playoffs, Jrue isn't even as good as Pat Beverly.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#344 » by BigO » Wed May 1, 2024 10:35 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
BigO wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:In his 4 full games this series, Bobby Portis is averaging 18.3 points, 12.5 rebounds, and the Bucks are +51 when he's on the court in those games. He's also been outstanding defensively on Siakam when given that assignment.

Can some of you print this out and put it on the mirror in your bathroom?

I jus read a post that praises BP for his game yesterday and says it makes up for the rest of his play in the series. :banghead:

I should let it be after last game but since the guy who said he was going to stop complaining about people complaining about (valid) Bobby Portis criticism 3 months ago and at no point did I'll throw some back.

His first four games of the series he had a TS% of 47, Siakam is shooting 58% guarded by him this series, the Pacers are shooting 79% against him guarding the rim and he got ejected a game.

Most certainly most of the "making up" is directed at that ejection in a pivotal game where his team needed him the most and could have almost entirely swung the momentum of this series. Nobody is arguing he's not an important member of this team right now. And do your victory lap for that last game for sure but you live in a world where there isn't valid Bobby Portis criticism and that just isn't this world.

This is pretty disingenuous. Valid criticisms are one thing. The vast majority of the "criticism" is is "trade him, bench him, give him up for clearly inferior players, et al". If that's valid criticism to you, we have disagreements.

I said I wouldn't go back and worth with a particular poster, who I tend to agree with on other issues. But I said I wouldn't ignore the crappy analysis of BP that continues game after game.

As to TS%, I have no faith in that stat and months ago I listed the top players for that and it didn't meet the eye test at all.

If his TS% was a big deal to the team, he wouldn't be playing the second most minutes and he wouldn't have been chosen to a USA team. The experts side with me.

There have been valid criticism of BP, but they are few and far between unfortunately.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,771

Post#345 » by jimmybones » Wed May 1, 2024 10:39 pm

I think they're being honest that they believe he's getting close. The circumstances of what game it is in the series is irrelevant.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#346 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 1, 2024 10:39 pm

I'm going to be so annoyed when they keep doing this Giannis is day-to-day **** all the way until we are in Game 6 against the Celtics.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,675

Post#347 » by SupremeHustle » Wed May 1, 2024 10:47 pm

BigO wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
BigO wrote:

Well I agree roster decisions shouldn't be based on one game, but many of you want to make roster decisions based on two stars not being able to play. That's even worse.

You're talking to the guy who wanted Jae and Pat out of here before the season started. The guy who was virtually begging for Dairy Bird to get some playing time. Before the trade deadline, I was posting about blowing it all up, even BEFORE Griff was fired. So, no sir, I'm not operating from recency bias. We need an infusion of athletic youth or we are doomed.

Supreme, you convinced me that you're not the ringleader of the Luddite faction of RealGM.

And of course, can't argue against getting more athletic. It's like being against apple pie.

However, being doomed with a starting lineup which includes Dame, KM and Giannis is hardly being doomed. Even in their prime, KM and Dame were never athletic.

I want basketball skills more than athleticism and all three are elite in that area.

You can argue they'll never be healthy, but that's a different discussion.

This season, when the big 3 were together on the floor, they were the best in the league. And that's with a flawed Beasley on the floor with them. If that's doomed, sign me up.

I can't argue against more basketball skills. That's like being against glazed donuts.

However, if the Bucks played in Ice Cube's Big3 I'd feel a lot more comfortable about their immediate future. But since the NBA playoffs are full-court 48-minute battles, I'm gonna stick to my opinion that if they don't get younger and more athletic (with the minimal prerequisite NBA-level skillsets), they are doomed. What is doomed? No home court, losing in the first/second round of the playoffs with no real draft capital or $$$ to spend. DOOOMMEEDDD!!! :o :o :o

Anyways, I never said get rid of Giannis, Dame, or Khris. The guys around them need to be reconsidered. We need guys who can play both sides of the court because those three guys miss games now. That said, I would trade anybody on the team - ANYBODY - If it would make the team better.

Also, just an FYI: Dame was very athletic. For your viewing pleasure:

jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#348 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 10:53 pm

BigO wrote:As to TS%, I have no faith in that stat and months ago I listed the top players for that and it didn't meet the eye test at all.

If his TS% was a big deal to the team, he wouldn't be playing the second most minutes and he wouldn't have been chosen to a USA team. The experts side with me.

There have been valid criticism of BP, but they are few and far between unfortunately.

Bobby Portis is a 58+% TS% in the regular season. That's really good. Like I get it old man yell at clouds new age stat bad but him putting up 47%, which would be like the worst in the league on the season, is just not good.

There's reasons why Bobby Portis made a team USA and is playing minutes for the Bucks, there's also reason's why Brook Lopez did the same and yet you lament about his rebounding (and others other things) every game.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,315

Post#349 » by paulpressey25 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:53 pm

Portis would be a problem for me if he was paid $20 or $30 million a year. As it is, he’s a minutes eater, who can get you 18/10 against crappy teams. It’s a valuable role at only $10 million per.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LatentFrog
Senior
And1: 392

Post#350 » by LatentFrog » Wed May 1, 2024 10:55 pm

He's gotta be 23 years old in some of those clips :lol:
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#351 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 1, 2024 11:01 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Portis would be a problem for me if he was paid $20 or $30 million a year. As it is, he’s a minutes eater, who can get you 18/10 against crappy teams. It’s a valuable role at only $10 million per.

Portis can also get you those numbers against good teams, like he did this year versus Boston and OKC, and like he's doing now versus a Pacers team that won a lot of games and was red hot entering the playoffs.

Yes, Bobby was sped up when the playoffs started, but he's oddly calmed down every since Pacers fans started chanting "Bobby sucks". It's tough to find anyone who can score, even at modest efficiency, come playoff time.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#352 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 1, 2024 11:03 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
BigO wrote:As to TS%, I have no faith in that stat and months ago I listed the top players for that and it didn't meet the eye test at all.

Bobby Portis is a 58+% TS% in the regular season. That's really good. Like I get it old man yell at clouds new age stat bad but him putting up 47%, which would be like the worst in the league on the season, is just not good.

There's reasons why Bobby Portis made a team USA and is playing minutes for the Bucks, there's also reason's why Brook Lopez did the same and yet you lament about his rebounding (and others other things) every game.

What's the league average TS% in the playoffs? Isn't it dramatically lower than the regular season?
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,267

Post#353 » by skones » Wed May 1, 2024 11:12 pm

No faith in TS% because it doesn't meet the eye test is WILD. It's not something that needs an eye test. It's objective.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,935

Post#354 » by emunney » Wed May 1, 2024 11:15 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I'm going to be so annoyed when they keep doing this Giannis is day-to-day **** all the way until we are in Game 6 against the Celtics.

You won't catch me complaining if we hit game 6 of the ECF without a single appearance from Giannis.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
tsamo
Junior
And1: 208

Post#355 » by tsamo » Wed May 1, 2024 11:21 pm

Because I saw someone mentioning Jrue, he is currently averaging for the Celtics in the playoffs, in obviously a much reduced role compared to how he was with us, 7.3/4.3/4.3 on 31/33/100 splits for a TS% of 40.4 in 36 minutes per game...
Damn.

Pat Bev's stats in the POs so far, 8.6/5.6/3.8 on 47/50/87 splits for a TS% of 62.1 in 34 minutes per game. With a broken hand, I might add.

And Marcus Smart's stats who was "terrible" last year in the playoffs and so much worse than Jrue if you believe some Celtics fans, 15/5/4 on 45.3/36/80 splits for a TS% of 59.2 in 34 minutes per game.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,935

Post#356 » by emunney » Wed May 1, 2024 11:21 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

What's the league average TS% in the playoffs? Isn't it dramatically lower than the regular season?

This year it's 56% vs 58% in the regular season. Bobby's is 51.5 in this series.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#357 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 11:27 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

Right now it seems its around 56%. We're at 59% for the series which I suppose makes sense since we're playing the worst defensive team (regular season DRTG) in the playoffs by a decent margin.

Couldn't really find it anywhere else but here's statmuse search for last 5 years
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,999

Post#358 » by Plossum » Wed May 1, 2024 11:29 pm

How can you have no faith in TS% as a stat? :lol:

I mean, it's a relatively simple measure of how efficiently a player scores. It's not used to rank the best players in the league.

Average TS% these Playoffs so far is 56 TS%. Reg season was 58 TS%.
#LockUpChuck
JonHeist
Junior
And1: 588

Post#359 » by JonHeist » Wed May 1, 2024 11:39 pm

steger_3434 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
Giannis doesn't have an injury that risks his achilles, and it absolutely guaranteed we'd look better with him.

im not convinced of either of those statements honestly. ive seen us play without him and the middleton centric offense looks great and the defense and effort with the underdog mentality is the best its been. obviously a healthy giannis makes us better but id have to see however hes limited to decide if it was better for us offensively or defensively to be convinced. id absolutely hate it if all the guys start defering because he comes back and cant perform. we watched that last year. id imagine the staff understands this that way as well

Gianni’s is a top 50 player of all time. And probably will finish his career top 30. If a top 30 player in nba history is 75% you play them in the playoffs. Especially in an elimination game. Gianni’s wasn’t 100% against the suns. You imagine not playing him?

My guess is his injury is so bad that he was completely ruled out 6-8 weeks when it happened. But it’s the bucks way to make it seem like it’s day to day in the playoffs. They did it with Khris and it fooled the hell out of the Celtics. Their doing it against the pacers and it’s fooling them too (sarcasm)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I realize that you're probably the most negative poster on a board full of negative posters, but come the hell on

Giannis is COMFORTABLY top 30 if he never plays another second

he was already 18th in the 2022 ESPN top 75 and has put up 2 first-team All-NBA seasons since
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#360 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 2, 2024 1:11 am

skones wrote:No faith in TS% because it doesn't meet the eye test is WILD. It's not something that needs an eye test. It's objective.

I mean, it can be extremely inflated. A guy getting lob dunks off of prime CP may not be impressive.

But even as a Bobby hater, his TS isn't cheap as he does a lot of ugly ISO and fadeaways but that crazy MFer is somehow very efficient at it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks