Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,511

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#541 » by KidA24 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
chonestown wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:Ok great!! Her fav restaurants are Mediterranean—so any good choices there? We also love mid-eastern, se asian, italian, and mexican/latin. Sounds like theres been a couple of those mentioned already maybe.

Really appreciate it!! And will look into lake-y stuff to do.

Is there a good farmers market on mondays or tuesdays? Seems like the really good one is on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Just so it didn't get lost in the mix, wanted to address the Med spots.

I mentioned Taza before. Taza rules. There's a Turkish spot on Watts Rd over by Woodman's West (an absolutely post-apocalyptic grocery nightmare, but I fk with East majorly) which I've had friends rave about but I found mid. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

The other one worth checking out is Sofra, breakfast and lunch spot. Once again in Middleton, nearish Taigu and Taza as well. Albanian sausages, my dude. Best not to mention the name of Larry Sanders there. Middleton has spots, ngl.

I have a regular dinner group that leans hard into Med and those two rank high.

Thanks again Chones. Taza is def on the list. Couldn’t find a turkish place on watts—found the Turkish Kitchen.

Been to Oliva? Any good?

A place with a killer greek-style salad and grilled meats would be awesome

I think chones means Caspian Grill.

https://www.caspiangrillmadison.com/
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,778

Post#542 » by chonestown » Tue May 14, 2024 3:19 pm

KidA24 wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Just so it didn't get lost in the mix, wanted to address the Med spots.

I mentioned Taza before. Taza rules. There's a Turkish spot on Watts Rd over by Woodman's West (an absolutely post-apocalyptic grocery nightmare, but I fk with East majorly) which I've had friends rave about but I found mid. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

The other one worth checking out is Sofra, breakfast and lunch spot. Once again in Middleton, nearish Taigu and Taza as well. Albanian sausages, my dude. Best not to mention the name of Larry Sanders there. Middleton has spots, ngl.

I have a regular dinner group that leans hard into Med and those two rank high.

Thanks again Chones. Taza is def on the list. Couldn’t find a turkish place on watts—found the Turkish Kitchen.

Been to Oliva? Any good?

I'm thinking of Istanbul Supermarket and Cafe. Same area, though. I dig the supermarket. They got all the varieties of Rittersport there IYKYK.

Been to Oliva. Yeah, it's good. Funny I've only been there once.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,815

Post#543 » by MikeIsGood » Tue May 14, 2024 4:39 pm

I think Oliva is ok. Been twice over the years I believe, and don't feel a strong pull to go back FWIW.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,235

Post#544 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue May 14, 2024 7:40 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I think Oliva is ok. Been twice over the years I believe, and don't feel a strong pull to go back FWIW.

Yeah looks like they serve italian or Mediterranean dishes—I was hoping it’d be *Italian Mediterranean* dishes.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,371

Post#545 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 am

Read on Twitter

I feel like this was an easy one to see coming if you're Tom or someone in his life.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,193

Post#546 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 15, 2024 2:36 am

Been a long time since I lived in Madison. I had hundreds of gyros at the Parthenon. And a lot of Plaza burgers.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,051

Post#547 » by emunney » Wed May 15, 2024 2:48 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I feel like this was an easy one to see coming if you're Tom or someone in his life.

Maybe watch one roast before you sign up?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,337

Post#548 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 15, 2024 5:35 am

chonestown wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:Thanks again Chones. Taza is def on the list. Couldn’t find a turkish place on watts—found the Turkish Kitchen.

Been to Oliva? Any good?

I'm thinking of Istanbul Supermarket and Cafe. Same area, though. I dig the supermarket. They got all the varieties of Rittersport there IYKYK.

Yeah, that's over on Gammon.

The folks who own that spot (and Fresh Mart in Sun Prairie, which is way bigger and more organized) opened up a new cafeteria style grocery/restaurant in the old Whole Foods on University. Haven't been there but I've heard great things.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,337

Post#549 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 15, 2024 5:42 am

By the way, in terms of underrated spots in Madison, I would always recommend Olbrich Gardens. It's free. It's gorgeous. It's a lovely place to walk. It's an absolute gem.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,409

Post#550 » by RiotPunch » Wed May 15, 2024 6:59 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Been a long time since I lived in Madison. I had hundreds of gyros at the Parthenon. And a lot of Plaza burgers.

Plaza burgers. :droop:
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,371

Post#551 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 16, 2024 3:21 am

Read on Twitter

Holy crap I laughed good.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,982

Post#552 » by jschligs » Thu May 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Today marks my first day fully remote. Just got back from South Dakota doing onboarding and meeting the team. Now I get to sit in my office at home all day every day. I can't believe this is real. And the job itself is perfect, this is going to be awesome.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#553 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 16, 2024 3:57 pm

Does anyone have home security/monitoring?

Had a free 3-year deal with our house...I didn't get the bells and whistles, so basically just a doorbell cam/garage app.

They're trying to push the $65/month, "fire assistance, glass break sensors" etc. etc. plan.

This is obviously just a personal decision on peace of mind thing, but has anyone found it worth it? It's a new development with woods (behind some old rural/larger lots) in back and a random house on the middle of the street. Maybe I'll regret it someday when somebody breaks in, but is $700+/year worth it, or should I just get a ring cam and call it a day?
jschligs
General Manager

Post#554 » by jschligs » Thu May 16, 2024 4:01 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Does anyone have home security/monitoring?

Had a free 3-year deal with our house...I didn't get the bells and whistles, so basically just a doorbell cam/garage app.

They're trying to push the $65/month, "fire assistance, glass break sensors" etc. etc. plan.

This is obviously just a personal decision on peace of mind thing, but has anyone found it worth it? It's a new development with woods (behind some old rural/larger lots) in back and a random house on the middle of the street. Maybe I'll regret it someday when somebody breaks in, but is $700+/year worth it, or should I just get a ring cam and call it a day?

We bought Simplisafe when we bought our first home. Brought it over with us. We turned off all paid subscriptions pretty quickly. I like the door chime when a door opens, and the camera in our main entryway. Otherwise we just use a doorbell camera with the $5/mo plan to save videos (porch pirates, etc.). But didn't find the other stuff worth it. In fact, we haven't enabled the security system with the alarm in years. Just wasn't worth it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#555 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 16, 2024 4:20 pm

I had ADT installed when we built , that was before the proliferation of cams. Now I just have some Arlo cams. They work fine. Have had them a few years now and there are some with better resolution but we are grandfathered in paying no fees so we haven't upgraded yet.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,166

Post#556 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 16, 2024 5:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I had ADT installed when we built , that was before the proliferation of cams. Now I just have some Arlo cams. They work fine. Have had them a few years now and there are some with better resolution but we are grandfathered in paying no fees so we haven't upgraded yet.

Did you keep the signs? Feel that is half the benefit.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#557 » by jschligs » Thu May 16, 2024 6:32 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I had ADT installed when we built , that was before the proliferation of cams. Now I just have some Arlo cams. They work fine. Have had them a few years now and there are some with better resolution but we are grandfathered in paying no fees so we haven't upgraded yet.

Keep the signs and then buy fake cameras and plaster them on every corner of the house. Never have a break in again.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#558 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 16, 2024 7:18 pm

I should have kept the signs but didn't when we sold the house. Dumb.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#559 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 16, 2024 7:35 pm

jschligs wrote:

Keep the signs and then buy fake cameras and plaster them on every corner of the house. Never have a break in again.

The beauty of my case is that when we built, they got the wrong info from me and sent a guy over assuming he'd do a full install of their package with bells and whistles. Ended up finally figuring that out and he had to come back and take my plan down to the base package that they gave away for free. He left the signs behind.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will research options on cameras/doorbells. I may keep the doorbell I have or get something that integrates more with a cam I can put on the front/back of the house.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,352

Post#560 » by crkone » Fri May 17, 2024 12:39 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
jschligs wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Did you keep the signs? Feel that is half the benefit.

The beauty of my case is that when we built, they got the wrong info from me and sent a guy over assuming he'd do a full install of their package with bells and whistles. Ended up finally figuring that out and he had to come back and take my plan down to the base package that they gave away for free. He left the signs behind.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will research options on cameras/doorbells. I may keep the doorbell I have or get something that integrates more with a cam I can put on the front/back of the house.
Review Wyze and see if it works for you. They've had some security issues themselves but the price point is pretty good.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks