2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,731

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#281 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 pm

https://www.nbabigboard.com/p/navigating-uncertainty-nba-scouts

Always enjoy these types of articles even if I don’t always agree with the scouts’ thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,546

Post#282 » by drone3 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:44 pm

JonHeist wrote:Really like Kel'el Ware as our potential "center of the future", don't see him falling to 23 tho

Every team could use this guy. He's not falling to us
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,651

Post#283 » by Bernman » Wed May 15, 2024 11:44 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Dude had at the time the 4th longest wingspan in NBA history, played at 250-260 lbs., and was starting in the top French league at the same age Edey currently is. And no, Edey can not move as well as young Brook. Like, young Brook would be talked about as a Top-3 pick in this draft. There's a reason why Zach Edey isn't.

You're leaving out some considerable differences. Edey's height w/out shoes was almost 4 inches taller. Easier to shoot over guys in the post. There was nothing special about Ajinca's height for an NBA C. Edey's over Brook's height.

Same goes for standing reach. Edey's was a few inches higher. Ajinca, high normal. Edey, freakish.

And Ajinca was a skinny guy coming in. Looks like he came in at about 220. Topped out at 248 during career. Edey's almost 300 lbs now, and not sloppy. There's a huge gulf in strength to carve out territory in post o, d, & boards.

I also don't get how Ajinca has touch Edey can't dream of. Edey posted ft %'es at or above Ajinca's earlier years in the NBA. Edey has better touch in the post. It's possible he could extend the range. He wasn't forced to in college. And he has superior footwork.

It might be the case the modern game is too fast..or he brings back the old post C who can't be stopped while being a huge guy to finish over & get boards from. I wouldn't stake my rep. But he's not going to fail cuz a clumsy, skinny guy like Ajinca did.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,823

Post#284 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 15, 2024 11:44 pm

JonHeist wrote:just sat down and watched a little film on the guys in our range for the first time all year

Tyler Smith immediately jumps off the page as a potential fit

Reminds me of MarJon, but 6'10" and with a better functioning brain

Problem is he's not 6'10", he has a shorter standing reach than Marjon, and wasn't nearly as productive as Marjon was for the same team. He's a poor man's Marjon.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,823

Post#285 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu May 16, 2024 12:31 am

JonHeist wrote:Ulrich Comeche would be a fun home run swing in the 2nd

youngest guy in the draft and should be a great mentee for Giannis

could easily talk myself into him at 23 if he was brought in for a workout and impressed

Super raw and turnover prone, but he's long, agile, plays hard, and hits 3s.

I wouldn't do it in round 1 because of how long it will take him to get ready, but definitely a day 2 prospect. Fits what we'd want, eventually.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,389

Post#286 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 12:36 am

There will be obvious limitations defensively that will limit Edey but I'd be damned if I didn't think he'd probably find a way to be Ivaca Zubac or something. Lane agility tests or whatever, he'll only be able to defend in the drop and I'd assume he'll be able to post some really solid rim defense numbers. Fine in the short roll offensively and defensively with solid hands, footwork and touch. Ain't gunna believe in the shooting in a gym though.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,058

Post#287 » by emunney » Thu May 16, 2024 2:12 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:There will be obvious limitations defensively that will limit Edey but I'd be damned if I didn't think he'd probably find a way to be Ivaca Zubac or something. Lane agility tests or whatever, he'll only be able to defend in the drop and I'd assume he'll be able to post some really solid rim defense numbers. Fine in the short roll offensively and defensively with solid hands, footwork and touch. Ain't gunna believe in the shooting in a gym though.

He really is like a bigger, slightly slower Zubac. Great call. Would be pretty surprised if he didn't eat minutes for somebody.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,546

Post#288 » by drone3 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:54 am

Really hope we don't end up with Edey. I'm so over the drop D
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 819

Post#289 » by Packbuckman » Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 am

emunney wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:There will be obvious limitations defensively that will limit Edey but I'd be damned if I didn't think he'd probably find a way to be Ivaca Zubac or something. Lane agility tests or whatever, he'll only be able to defend in the drop and I'd assume he'll be able to post some really solid rim defense numbers. Fine in the short roll offensively and defensively with solid hands, footwork and touch. Ain't gunna believe in the shooting in a gym though.

He really is like a bigger, slightly slower Zubac. Great call. Would be pretty surprised if he didn't eat minutes for somebody.

Those extra few inches and weight is huge though plus he has much better touch around basket than Zubac. I think he’s going to surprise people how well he will do in the nba.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,721

Post#290 » by SupremeHustle » Thu May 16, 2024 3:04 am

drone3 wrote:
JonHeist wrote:Really like Kel'el Ware as our potential "center of the future", don't see him falling to 23 tho

Every team could use this guy. He's not falling to us

Supreme's comp after watching some highlights: John Henson with Nic Claxton's disposition. Am I close?!
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#291 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 3:52 am

Packbuckman wrote:
emunney wrote:

Those extra few inches and weight is huge though plus he has much better touch around basket than Zubac. I think he’s going to surprise people how well he will do in the nba.

I mean Zubac was 1.27 PPP in post ups last season, 71% at the rim and 60% from 3-10. Think you're kinda underrating him there, he's got like damn near elite touch around the hoop. To each their own though, I don't see Edey having the role to really surprise in the NBA. I think offensively he'll be used a lot like Zubac who just sets screens and gets what comes his way. No team is running an NBA offense through posting Zach Edey. I don't dislike Edey, to me Zubac was a compliment. I think he finds a way to stick. I just don't think he's Yao Ming or something.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#292 » by PANDEMONEUM » Thu May 16, 2024 5:49 am

been reviewing everyones likes and suggestions.
and the only non-big that i like is Silva.
none of the other PGs,SGs,SFs, interest me at all.

im still fine on 2 of these bigs

Kyle Filipowski
Yves Missi
Kel'el Ware
DaRon Holmes

Tyler Smith
Izan Aimansa
Trevon Brazile

Ryan Kalkbrenner
is there another big yall like, that im missing ?
(not Edey)
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,949

Post#293 » by Fotis St » Thu May 16, 2024 8:07 am

PANDEMONEUM wrote:been reviewing everyones likes and suggestions.
and the only non-big that i like is Silva.
none of the other PGs,SGs,SFs, interest me at all.

im still fine on 2 of these bigs

Kyle Filipowski
Yves Missi
Kel'el Ware
DaRon Holmes

Tyler Smith
Izan Aimansa
Trevon Brazile

Ryan Kalkbrenner
is there another big yall like, that im missing ?
(not Edey)

Oso Ighodaro is a nice mobile Big to work on.
If he turns to be Bam Adebayo or Jordan Bell .... who knows ? It is on him and on the team that drafts him. The frame, speed, agility, athleticism is similar. I really like the flow he has on his movement on and off the ball, he really knows when to turn , dive and at what pace on pick n rolls. This is the factor I like on him. Doc Rivers doesn't have to teach Oso how to play pick n roll, HE ALREADY is better than Giannis on this specific aspect of the game. This is why I call BUD lazy for not teaching Giannis at least the pick n roll movement... random basketball limited Giannis in so many ways. From Goat potential to Shawn Kemp with a ring.

So to sum it up ... if we draft Oso , he is already our best big on the pick n roll role, better than Brook, Portis and Giannis. We could end the no lob threat era we are stuck for 5 years.

https://youtu.be/ymwQxY6x-Sw?si=DO6FRvgb6mkpq9P5
Draft: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#294 » by Fotis St » Thu May 16, 2024 9:04 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Wasn't a big fan even before the combine, but Oso's measurements take him completely off my draft board. He's not an NBA player.

I believe Oso is fine, he has the potential for a long NBA career

Endrice (Bam) Adebayo 2017 Draft

Height without shoes : 6'8.75
Standing Reach : 9'0
Wingspan : 7'2.75
Standing Vertical: 33.5
Max Vertical: 38.5
Lane Agility : 11.94
Shuttle run : 3.24
3 Quarters run : 3.24

Oso Ighodaro Draft 2024

Height without shoes : 6'9.50
Standing Reach : 8'8.50
Wingspan : 6'11
Standing Vertical: 35.0
Max Vertical: 39.5
Lane Agility : 11.25
Shuttle run : 3.12
3 Quarters run : 3.09
Draft: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#295 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 10:43 am

I'm not saying it can't happen, as I haven't looked it up myself, but has there ever been an impact center defender with something like an 8'8 standing reach? That's like long shooting guard length. Oso was a poor rebounder and poor rim protector at the NCAA level, to me that's sure to carry over, right? Is the hope that we just let Giannis carry the "center" spot and he's more of a power forward type? Like Trayce Jackson-Davis made the undersized center thing work last season but he was also just a much better defender/rebounder at the college level (just overall much better too), is that the hope?
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#296 » by Fotis St » Thu May 16, 2024 11:25 am

Are you applying that Standing reach is the main measurement to watch when we talk about Center defense? Well It doesn't matter when you are not mobile enough to stand in front or your opponent.
This is why we are doomed last 3 years with Brook parked at the paint playing drop defense and teams tearing us apart. The Center game has changed dramatically and we are stuck with dinosaurs.
Oso is a hope he plays good both ends of the floor.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 819

Post#297 » by Packbuckman » Thu May 16, 2024 11:37 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
emunney wrote:

I mean Zubac was 1.27 PPP in post ups last season, 71% at the rim and 60% from 3-10. Think you're kinda underrating him there, he's got like damn near elite touch around the hoop. To each their own though, I don't see Edey having the role to really surprise in the NBA. I think offensively he'll be used a lot like Zubac who just sets screens and gets what comes his way. No team is running an NBA offense through posting Zach Edey. I don't dislike Edey, to me Zubac was a compliment. I think he finds a way to stick. I just don't think he's Yao Ming or something.

Edey is 4 inches taller and 40 pounds or more heavier size wise he’s closer to Yao Ming will he be as good probably not but if he’s there at 23 I think you take a chance on him to be something in between both those players would be a great replacement for Brook. Then take your athletic big wing at 33.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#298 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 11:37 am

Fotis St wrote:Are you applying that Standing reach is the main measurement to watch when we talk about Center defense? Well It doesn't matter when you are not mobile enough to stand in front or your opponent.
This is why are doomed last 3 years with Brook parked at the paint playing drop defense and teams tearing us apart. The Center game has changed dramatically and we are stuck with dinosaurs.
Oso is a hope he plays good both ends of the floor.

I think it unquestionably helps with, you know, players shooting over you. I agree that the plodding drop guys have severe limitations but because a guy can move his feet doesn't give him a pass for not protecting the rim.

Per Synergy, opponents shoot 64.7% at the basket against Ighodaro, ranking him in the 8th percentile of Division I hoops.

Like that's really bad. REALLY bad.
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#299 » by Fotis St » Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 am

I prefer less rim protection but staying in front of guys even with less standing reach. His vertical is higher than Adebayo for example. Guarding well the high pick n roll is way way way more important than standing reach. We are talking about a late 1st or 2nd rounder. I am thinking of maximizing our picks with players with flaws but already knowing the game of basketball pretty well so Doc does not have to teach them the whole efing game like how you pick n roll and how to efing shoot. Tired of drafting wingspan and measurements, lets draft actual skills for a change with NBA competent measurements. It will not be elite since our picks are late, so we have to pick carefully. Can't stand for another Marjon type of player getting drafted by the Bucks.
We are desperate for an athletic 4-5 guy. If our death squad is Giannis at the 5 ... we don't have a 6''10 guy to guard opponets 4s. Brook, Portis can't , Thanasis,Pat,Khris can't ... we have a serious obvious flaw on our roster for years
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#300 » by Fotis St » Thu May 16, 2024 12:18 pm

Fotis St wrote:I am thinking of maximizing our picks with players with flaws but already knowing the game of basketball pretty well so Doc does not have to teach them the whole efing game like how you pick n roll and how to efing shoot.

Quoting myself :lol:

So my picks almost cemented at :

#23 PF/C Oso Ighodaro , a mobile big with pick n roll, lob threat game

#34 PG/SG Cam Christie who can shoot lights out , a big guard who is 18y, nets alot of his 3s and can become a better finisher at the rim when he gets stronger.

Both have flaws, but I loooove their potential... (Bam & Maxey)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks