ImageImage

Bucks = 90's Kings and Redd = Mitch Richmond

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Bucks = 90's Kings and Redd = Mitch Richmond 

Post#1 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:56 pm

Pretend this was written in the future by a sportswriter comparing the two franchises and their star sg's.

First the team-wise comparison. Both teams had one excellent player but were perenial losers. However, they were seldom so pitiful that they were able to draft a superstar, so they were stuck. They didn't start to improve until they traded their star for a top prospect and built around that player, with a stellar supporting cast of players they had drafted (or traded for) using the lottery talent they had accumulated during their rut. The Kings somehow managed to get Washington so piss-drunk that they traded Chris Webber for a 33-year old Mitch Richmond. The Bucks didn't fall into such uncanny good fortune, but when they traded Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric for Mike Conley Jr, a draft pick, and a bunch of cap-friendly contracts they acquired a pereniall all-star pg, a solid sf in the draft, and later a great free agent pick-up who together, along with Yi Jianlian, Andrew Bogut, Mo Williams & co, helped turn them into one of the best teams of the next decade.

As for the Richmond-Redd comparison, each was a top-notch scoring 2-guard who posed match-up nightmares for other sg's. Insiders around the league considered both to be elite sg's, although they both toiled in obscurity and were dogged by questions about their ability to win. Opposing sg's raved about their abilities. Jordan once called Richmond his toughest individual match-up, better than Miller, Drexler, Sprewell, Dumars or Starks. Both were burly, well-built sg's who were equally adept at getting to the basket, creating their own shot, or killing teams with their stellar outside shooting, a rare combination of offensive skills. Neither player ever filled up the boxscore. Redd once averaged 5 rpg as a back-up sg/sf and Richmond twice averaged close to 5 apg, but overall they usually averaged around 3-4 apg and 3-4 rpg, sub-par for sg's. Offense was what they did best. Critics said both should pass more, but they probably would have been playing right into the hands of the defense because their teammates were much easier to defend than they were.

For those of you who think the Bucks should try to make a trade that will get them into the playoffs this year or whatever, I think you need to ask yourself whether the Kings should have kept Mitch Richmond in hopes of making the playoffs a few times (only to get trounced in the first round, of course) and then being terrible for 10 more years.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,386

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:00 pm

Wow....Mitch Richmond.....great comparison......

As for Mike Conley....I'd like it too, but after his first start where he played outstanding the other night, I think he's untouchable.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#3 » by InsideOut » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:21 pm

You're preaching to the choir coolhand. However, expect two guys to show up any second and explain why you're wrong.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,710

Post#4 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Wow....Mitch Richmond.....great comparison......

As for Mike Conley....I'd like it too, but after his first start where he played outstanding the other night, I think he's untouchable.

Seriously, PP? I've been saying that for 3 years! You guys should take me off ignore. Once in a blue I drop a gem.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,386

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:28 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:-= Seriously, PP? I've been saying that for 3 years! You guys should take me off ignore. Once in a blue I drop a gem.

You need to post the same things here repetitively like I do.....otherwise I'll forget stuff like that unless I read it 50 times in the course of a month...... :)

But anything you ever say here will never top that thread from July of 2005 that you titled "I just saw Bogut play in summer league and this guy has a looooong way to go"
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,710

Post#6 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:37 pm

Yep. The infamous "Andrew Bogus" post. It was his attitude during that game that shocked me the most. Luke was there with me. He saw it, too.

It was my first time seeing him play live and I was looking for the next Tim Duncan or that triple-double threat. All I saw was a pouty kid who liked to chill on the perimeter.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Neapolitan Buck » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:59 pm

Not everything is similar: I don't remember the exact year when they did, but the Kings went 1-40 on the road one season (maybe it was 1991-92). We are already better :D
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,412

Post#8 » by rilamann » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:06 am

This thread is crazy,No lie today I was going through some old boxes of my old magazines and came across an NBA preview magazine from like 1996'97 and I started looking through it.For some reason started reading the Kings preview page and as I was reading the article it dawned on me,the current Bucks are the 90's Sacramento Kings and Redd is Mitch Richmond.

Then I come on here and see this thread,thats kind of trippy. :o
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****

Return to Milwaukee Bucks