ImageImage

Veterans who could salvage season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Veterans who could salvage season 

Post#1 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:01 pm

I know the thinking is to tear it down and rebuild and that's probably the way to go, but we have to assume that Herb Kohl still expects to make the playoffs this year and is thinking just the opposite in terms of trades, i.e., how can we flush our future down the **** while improving enough to make the playoffs now? Here's a list of veteran players who I think might be available who would help the Bucks without forcing them to give up the players who are helping the most now.

You can pick your favorites and conjure up trade scenarios to bring them aboard, but the rules are you can't trade Redd (trying to win now), can't trade Mo unless you get a big upgrade at pg, and the team has to get significantly better now, i.e., you have to trade a player like Yi or CV or Bogut or a draft pick to get someone who will provide more immediate help.

The players:

Ben Wallace
Luol Deng
Andre Iguodala
Tyrus Thomas
Andre Miller
Jason Kidd
Josh Childress
Andrei Kirilenko
Tracy McGrady
Pau Gasol
Ron Artest
Brad Miller
Corey Maggette
Sam Cassell
Shawn Marion
Boris Diaw

Obviously some would help more than others. Several players on the list would absolutely require the Bucks to give up Yi. Naturally, most of the players are from bad teams who might be looking to trade veterans and rebuild, or their teams might be ready to give them up for other reasons (bad fit, bad attitude, etc). I didn't put sg's on there because of the assumption that Redd stays.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bucks should rebuild. But if they do make a trade like this I would like to see something along the lines Yi/Simmons/Mo/pick for Miller/Iguodala. Philly's in love with Yi (not so much Miller and Iguodala) so it's not totally far-fetched.
Durbanfish4
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Durbanfish4 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm sorry, but that's one of the worst trade ideas I've seen in a while. Why would the Bucks give up Simmons/Mo/pick AND YI for Miller/Iguodala. Don't get me wrong, Miller and Iguodala are good players...but they're worth NO WHERE NEAR what you're proposing.

The Bucks should, like others have suggested, build around Bogut and Yi...and to some extent Mo. This organization is so dysfunctional that it's difficult to see any hope of achieving anything close to success anytime soon.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,402

Post#3 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:16 pm

I think even Kohl is smart enough to know that there is nothing to salvage the season at this point....after this road trip, we'll be buried.

But I also would guess that even Kohl himself doesn't want to play out the last 50 games with the same roster. I can't see him wanting to start a tank effort nor can I see him trading guys like Redd for draft picks.

I think there are two possible guys who might change things up here and at least have a 10 percent chance of actually being dealt by their teams. Gasol and AK47.

The Kings are another team that might deal. The question I'd have for the board is would you trade Bogut and Bobby Simmons for Brad Miller and Francisco Garcia? I'm not saying I love that deal, but it could be one to help salvage things this year.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#4 » by WRau1 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:22 pm

The East is terrible. Brining in 1 or 2 legit pieces to pair with Redd COULD get us to the playoffs.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Post#5 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:29 pm

Durbanfish4 wrote:I'm sorry, but that's one of the worst trade ideas I've seen in a while. Why would the Bucks give up Simmons/Mo/pick AND YI for Miller/Iguodala. Don't get me wrong, Miller and Iguodala are good players...but they're worth NO WHERE NEAR what you're proposing.

The Bucks should, like others have suggested, build around Bogut and Yi...and to some extent Mo. This organization is so dysfunctional that it's difficult to see any hope of achieving anything close to success anytime soon.

I disagree. I assume your main objection is the inclusion of Yi. Clearly, just 30 games into his rookie year he has already proven (sarcastic) that he is going to be a perennial all-star, thus to trade him for Philly's two best players, the unproven (sarcastic) Andre Miller and Andre Iguodala - both borderline all-star caliber players by the way - would be franchise suicide.

It breaks down like this. Mo is not worth nearly as much as Miller, and the fact that Simmons has to be included to make salaries work almost negates any value that Mo brings to the trade. Simmons' contract is that horrendous. Enter the draft pick to make up the difference, and realistically the Bucks pick this year is very unlikely to be in the top-10 if they deal Yi for some solid veteran help. So it comes down to Yi vs. Iguodala. I don't see what's so bad about that, though I understand there are some legitimate arguments against it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,402

Post#6 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:32 pm

I guess the question is whether a Miller/Redd/Iggy/Desmond/Bogut small ball team could win anything......

I just don't see it. I see an inferior version of Golden State last season with no Baron Davis and no Biedrins......if Bogut were an elite rebounder it might work.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Post#7 » by Epicurus » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:58 pm

WRau1 wrote:The East is terrible. Brining in 1 or 2 legit pieces to pair with Redd COULD get us to the playoffs.

That is a good point, because as poorly as the Bucks have played, gettting even the 6th playoff spot is not impossible.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#8 » by xTitan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:00 pm

I find it ironic that most of the vets on cool Hand's list are incapable of helping there own team salvage there season much less this mess in Milwaukee.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

The only guy on the list I'd like to acquire is Miller 

Post#9 » by pilprin » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:19 pm

I would like to see the Bucks acquire Andre Miller provided that they could move either Mo or Redd in a separate deal.

This team has not had a legit PG (some could argue that TJ was legit) since Cassell, and even he was a shoot first guy.

People continue to bitch about Bogut, I wonder what would happen if we ever ran and offense that used a big man correctly?
BrewersGM
Banned User

Post#10 » by BrewersGM » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:22 pm

Andre Iguodala would be perfect... Trade CV and a #1 for him and thats all we need. Perfect SF for us...
Durbanfish4
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Durbanfish4 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:23 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I disagree. I assume your main objection is the inclusion of Yi. Clearly, just 30 games into his rookie year he has already proven (sarcastic) that he is going to be a perennial all-star, thus to trade him for Philly's two best players, the unproven (sarcastic) Andre Miller and Andre Iguodala - both borderline all-star caliber players by the way - would be franchise suicide.

It breaks down like this. Mo is not worth nearly as much as Miller, and the fact that Simmons has to be included to make salaries work almost negates any value that Mo brings to the trade. Simmons' contract is that horrendous. Enter the draft pick to make up the difference, and realistically the Bucks pick this year is very unlikely to be in the top-10 if they deal Yi for some solid veteran help. So it comes down to Yi vs. Iguodala. I don't see what's so bad about that, though I understand there are some legitimate arguments against it.

There are a number of problems with this trade. First, we cannot just give up on Yi. It's his first year for crying out loud...not only that, but he has been one of the more consistent players for the Bucks this season in terms of hustling and playing hard. He's putting up fairly decent numbers 10.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 1.0 BPG. That's not too bad when you consider that the Bucks don't run many plays for him. You don't just give up talent like that. Yes, Iguodala is talented but not enough to mortgage away Yi.

Mo is putting up similar numbers to Miller: Mo is averaging 16.1 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 7.0 APG and 1.4 SPG, Miller is averaging 16.1 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 6.3APG, 0.9 APG. I would much rather have Williams (who is 6 years younger than Miller)!

Simmons, I don't care much for. He clearly isn't the player he once was in LA, and he does have an ugly contract.

I just don't see how this trade helps the Bucks now or in the future. There are better deals out there.
Durbanfish4
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Durbanfish4 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:25 pm

BrewersGM wrote:Andre Iguodala would be perfect... Trade CV and a #1 for him and thats all we need. Perfect SF for us...

I would love this deal if it happened!
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 868

Re: The only guy on the list I'd like to acquire is Miller 

Post#13 » by Epicurus » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:37 pm

pilprin wrote:I would like to see the Bucks acquire Andre Miller provided that they could move either Mo or Redd in a separate deal.

This team has not had a legit PG (some could argue that TJ was legit) since Cassell, and even he was a shoot first guy.

People continue to bitch about Bogut, I wonder what would happen if we ever ran and offense that used a big man correctly?

On the other hand, I wonder what would happen if the Bucks had a big man who could effectively use the options available in the offense for inside play.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks