ImageImage

Rick Rolled by Rick Sund

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

schweig
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Rick Rolled by Rick Sund 

Post#1 » by schweig » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:00 am

I'm not too excited about this idea at this time, and it seems like no one else is either. I wasn't too familiar with Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy when they were hired either, but what's the point of having someone with the title "general manager" if that's not his job and nothing else in the management is going to change?

Anyway since we're coming to expect the worst with this stuff, I wanted to get some stuff about him in one place. I couldn't find anything comprehensive about his 14 seasons in Dallas starting in 1979, but as some have mentioned they brought in some nice players while he was there. It sounds like he knows current Bucks VP of BO (business ops) John Steinmiller from way back. Press and others can fill this time in more if you'd like to add anything. He spent some time in the mid-1990s in player personnel with Seattle and then Detroit, before Seattle brought him back as GM before the 2001 draft.

Right around the time Sund got to town, Howard Schultz bought the team and would refuse to extend Gary Payton's contract or pay the luxury tax. Who knows how much say Schultz had in other matters, or whether the uncertainty with their aging star made other decisions more difficult.

2001: 45-37, lost first round to SA 3-2
Vlad Radmanovic #12
Earl Watson #40
Bobby Simmons #42 (rights traded to Wizards for Predrag Drobnjak)

--- Gave Calvin Booth the contract that we eventually took back for KVH and wiped off the cap under the Allan Houston program. It was rumored that Sund just loved "why the long face" jokes, and Ervin Johnson was unavailable at this time.

2002-03: 40-42
Peter Fehse #49

--- Signed Jerome James for 3 years (not nearly as bad a decision as his next contract from the Knicks).

--- Traded Vin Baker and Shammond Williams for Vitaly Potapenko, Kenny Anderson and Joe Forte.

--- 7-year contract to re-sign Rashard Lewis.

--- Traded Payto... let's move along.

--- Traded Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell.

--- End of 11-year franchise streak of .500 or better.

2003-04: 37-45
Nick Collison #12
Luke Ridnour #14
Willie Green #41 (rights traded for rights to Paccelis Morlende)

2004-05: 50-32, Northwest champs, beat the Kings 4-1 and lost the semis to SA 4-2
Robert Swift #12
Andre Emmett #35 (rights traded to Memphis for future 2nd and cash)
David Young #41

--- Unloaded Booth for Danny Fortson.

--- Signed Mateen Cleaves for the first of 3 times (I'm leaving out all these other minor signings and 10-day contracts, along with almost all the qualifying offers and extensions beside the max ones).

--- Nate McMillan left for Portland after the season.

--- Re-signed for 3 years at $1.3M/yr.

2005-06: 35-47
Johan Petro #25
Mickael Gelabale #48
Lawrence Roberts #55 (rights traded for cash)

--- Bob Weiss in as head coach.

--- Re-signed Ray Allen.

--- Matched Minnesota offer sheet for Damien Wilkins.

--- Bob Weiss out, Bob Hill in.

--- Traded Radmanovic for Wilcox.

--- Traded Reggie Evans and Potapenko for Earl Watson, Bryon Russell, 2008 2nd and cash.

--- Traded Ronald Murray for Mike Wilks.

2006-07: 31-51
Saer Sene #10
Denham Brown #40
Yotam Halperin #53

--- Team sold for $350M.

--- Traded Mikki Moore for 2009 2nd.

April 24, 2007: named team consultant. Bob Hill was fired at the same time.

"An avid golfer and sportsman, Sund competed in two marathons and a triathlon while living in the Dallas area. He also completed the Chicago Marathon in October of 1998. He is married to Lea and has a daughter Hali and a son Patrick.

Sund is available to speak to groups about building an NBA team, including scouting and player development."

I'm scared to see what this guy could do with a high lottery pick these days. everything's from hoopshype, nba.com, a little bit of wikipedia, and what I could remember from the other thread
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#2 » by Fort Minor » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:09 am

According to PP25, his Dallas years look much more impressive than the Sonic years.

Of course, that could just mean that the game has passed him by.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
th87
RealGM
And1: 9,737

Post#3 » by th87 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:47 pm

So in short, he sucks.

We really should start meeting Kohl for breakfast.

http://appropriations.senate.gov/~kohl/ ... fasts.html
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Re: Getting to know Rick Sund 

Post#4 » by Simulack » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:37 pm

schweig wrote:--- Traded Payto... let's move along.

I think I see the strategy here... Many here believe Harris often makes moves to acquire players who have burned the Bucks: Hey that rookie just scored 48 on us, I've got to have him!

Apparently now we've adopted that principle in our very hiring of GM's.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,392

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:57 pm

Different era because you had mostly college juniors and seniors and no foreign players, but he did know how to draft back in the day......

Take a look at this link and start at 1980 for the Mavericks drafts.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/draft ... m=DAL&lg=n

Now the Mavericks ended up trading a bunch of those guys they drafted, but I'm not sure Sund had full responsibility for those trades. He was the player personnel guy and top college scout and not the GM.

He really hit on those draft picks with the Mavericks....but my comments shouldn't be seen as any endorsement of the guy. He hasn't shown a genius track record like Donnie Walsh or Colangelo.....but Herb's not going to hire a guy like that.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
schweig
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by schweig » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:21 pm

I'd copy and paste those here but it's easier to just follow your link.

It stood out to me that the names are a lot less memorable starting already about halfway through his time there in the second half of the 80s. Had a good run there though, only 1 miss out of 7 first-rounders from 80-85.

Edit: is it bad enough that he underperformed and then got pushed out from a franchise that's trying to move, while we're worried about the same thing happening?
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#7 » by Jollay » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:44 pm

I am way too lazy to read this thread, but as I was scrolling down I could have sworn I saw the name "Mateen Cleaves."

All I need to see. The man has an eye for potential and untapped talent.
stevescheffler06
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#8 » by stevescheffler06 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:22 pm

I've been a Milwaukeean for 9 years, but I'm from Washington state. Sund help run the team into the ground, signing bad deal after bad deal, bad draft after bad draft (with the help of the team president).

Eventually, the entire city stopped caring about what had (in my time in the state) an institution. It was Seattle's team. The Seahawks/Mariners were terrible, and the Sonics were the golden children of the town.

The lack of support and poor play of the team (along with an aging stadium and horrible lease deal) all led to the backdoor, under the table, garbage, awful, slap in the face sale to OKC investors and now it looks like my first team is on it's way out of town.

So no, I want no part of this clown. The Bucks are already 3/4 of the way to the scenario I listed above, and we don't need this jackass tipping the scales.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User

Post#9 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:59 pm

This guy seems horrible, so that means it probly someone Kohl would hire.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#10 » by bigkurty » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:33 pm

stevescheffler06 wrote:I've been a Milwaukeean for 9 years, but I'm from Washington state. Sund help run the team into the ground, signing bad deal after bad deal, bad draft after bad draft (with the help of the team president).

Eventually, the entire city stopped caring about what had (in my time in the state) an institution. It was Seattle's team. The Seahawks/Mariners were terrible, and the Sonics were the golden children of the town.

The lack of support and poor play of the team (along with an aging stadium and horrible lease deal) all led to the backdoor, under the table, garbage, awful, slap in the face sale to OKC investors and now it looks like my first team is on it's way out of town.

So no, I want no part of this clown. The Bucks are already 3/4 of the way to the scenario I listed above, and we don't need this jackass tipping the scales.

Exactly how I feel. Sund hasn't done anything. I could throw darts at a draft board and draft better than him in recent years. Also a lot of people talk about how Harris doesn't know how to build a winning team. What exactly has this gone done in the last 20 years to show you he could build a winning team? Last but not least, isn't Seattle the most likely team to be moved next? I know its not all his fault but you have to think their is a little bad karma there?

Just Say No to Sund.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#11 » by BobbyLight » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:52 pm

His Seattle years look awful. He took a decent team right into the ground. If this is our next guy I think I'll start making going away signs for our franchise.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,413

Post#12 » by rilamann » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:03 pm

This would be a typical Milwaukee Bucks hire,didn't sparky say Sund was friends with someone in the Bucks front office?
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#13 » by El Duderino » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:26 pm

Why don't guys like Sund who lose all their hair on the middle of their head, just shave off the rest instead of looking like they have a dead rodent growing on both sides of their head?
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,294

Post#14 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:59 am

rilamann wrote:This would be a typical Milwaukee Bucks hire,didn't sparky say Sund was friends with someone in the Bucks front office?

Yes, with John Steinmiller.
Schweig made mention of this in the OP.

BTW, I love the title update :lol:
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#15 » by BrewCityBBQ » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:06 am

El Duderino wrote:Why don't guys like Sund who lose all their hair on the middle of their head, just shave off the rest instead of looking like they have a dead rodent growing on both sides of their head?

Or atleast wear a Hulk Hogan bandana.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,413

Post#16 » by rilamann » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:37 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes, with John Steinmiller.
Schweig made mention of this in the OP.

BTW, I love the title update :lol:

Oh great.

Herb Kohl is the classic guy who will hire the ''friend'' (or friend of a bussiness parter as in this case) no matter how unqualified for the job over the more qualified guy.

Thats one of the main reasons in my opinion the Bucks have pretty much been medicore since Kohl bought the team.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#17 » by bigkurty » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:05 am

rilamann wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Herb Kohl is the classic guy who will hire the ''friend'' (or friend of a bussiness parter as in this case) no matter how unqualified for the job over the more qualified guy.

You know whats really funny, John Steinmiller is the same way. Or at least he was when he was with the Brewers.

edit: Actually nevermind, that was jon greenberg I was thinking of.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#18 » by stellation » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:19 am

th87 wrote:So in short, he sucks.

We really should start meeting Kohl for breakfast.

http://appropriations.senate.gov/~kohl/ ... fasts.html

The guy in the white t-shirt is going to either punch, kiss or eat the senator.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#19 » by El Duderino » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:12 am

rilamann wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh great.

Thats one of the main reasons in my opinion the Bucks have pretty much been medicore since Kohl bought the team.

Yep

Look at the Packers before Harlan took over. There was no clear one man in charge and they kept hiring former Packer greats to coach the team and select the players.

It wasn't until Harlan came in and hired Wolf from Oakland, along with giving Wolf full power to pretty much do as he pleased that things finally turned around.

Even the Brewers sorta fit the same mold. Bando was finally dumped as GM and then the Selig's sold the team, Melvin for the most part now is just given a budget and allowed to do as he wishes with it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks