OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,357

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#101 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:06 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Soderbergh's new series, Full Circle, on HBO (refuse to call it Max) is really good.

Good to know. Reviews haven't been great. Gonna binge it in a couple weeks when all the episodes are out.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#102 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:09 am

Good wrap up to Jack Ryan. It appears as if Wendell Pierce and Michael Kelly will be part of the sequel. Good.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#103 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:11 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:Soderbergh's new series, Full Circle, on HBO (refuse to call it Max) is really good.

Good to know. Reviews haven't been great. Gonna binge it in a couple weeks when all the episodes are out.

I plan to check it out over the weekend. Great cast has my attention.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 15,001

Post#104 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Yeah I saw the reviews after I watched the first two episodes and was wondering why they weren't better. My sense is that the plot gets pretty complicated and that may frustrate people. Also, I'm a Soderbergh stan so maybe I'm biased. :D

FYI - you may need captions. The Guyanese accents are pretty thick on some of the characters.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,353

Post#105 » by Mags FTW » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:43 pm

Dead Reckoning:

Spoiler:
Ilsa :(

Also probably the weakest part of the plot. "Ethan, you have to choose between this woman you've survived multiple harrowing situations with or this woman you met last week. What say you?"

I wonder if Ferguson just wanted out.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,226

Post#106 » by FrieAaron » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:25 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Dead Reckoning:

Spoiler:

Also probably the weakest part of the plot. "Ethan, you have to choose between this woman you've survived multiple harrowing situations with or this woman you met last week. What say you?"

Spoiler:
He also didn't really seem to have any say in the matter. Some really clunky exposition in this one. Fun set pieces, though.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,357

Post#107 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:31 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Dead Reckoning:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wouldn't surprise me. She's got a lot going on. Silo, Dune.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#108 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:24 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yeah I saw the reviews after I watched the first two episodes and was wondering why they weren't better. My sense is that the plot gets pretty complicated and that may frustrate people. Also, I'm a Soderbergh stan so maybe I'm biased. :D

FYI - you may need captions. The Guyanese accents are pretty thick on some of the characters.

Watched the first two while I had the Brewers game on another screen. Probably a mistake because I was confused on some things. But it has me interested enough to watch the last 4. Captions are definitely a good idea.

Spoiler:
not sure why a Postal Inspector would be investigating
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#109 » by engelmartin » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:32 am

Has anyone else watched the new Hulk Hogan show?
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,781

Post#110 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:44 am

engelmartin wrote:Has anyone else watched the new Hulk Hogan show?

I have not, but Im 44 years old and I spend at least 3-4 hours (spread out) throughout any given year wondering how he was ever so popular. Maybe the all time best example of “right place, right time?” I don’t hate him. I don’t love him. I legitimately wonder how be became a pop icon of two decades.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#111 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:31 pm

Gemstones had their annual "interlude" episode last week. Emma Shannon and J. Gaven Wilde are spot on playing teenage Judy and Jesse. Especially Wilde.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,767

Post#112 » by chonestown » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:17 pm

So no one's going to talk about the Walton 30 for 30, much less the footage of him at the dinner table with his sons, chomping away while a game is on TV and off-handedly saying "Greg Ostertag is the finest center in the history of the NBA" while Luke and the rest are incredulous?

Anyway, I liked it a lot which was to be expected. Steve James put it together and while it can't touch "Hoop Dreams" and doesn't have the tight focus of his Iverson 30 for 30, the vintage footage is a marvel and there's moments of power in Walton's talking head spots. The self-effacing stuff is clearly not an act and the doc captures Walton as an immensely generous but also prideful man. Kevin McHale also does a great impression of Walton stuttering.

I dunno, man, Walton is just a great human. Worse people to emulate.imo

Somewhat related: been trying to find a piece that ran in the Wash Po when Eddie Jordan was coaching and Walton popped in for a visit and introduced himself to his Eddie's grade-school kid. Played hoops with the boy, gave him some tips, referenced the pyramid and told the kid how lucky he was to have Eddie as his pop. Just breaks me up. There's a similar part in the 30 where Walton befriends some teens on his old neighborhood court. Clearly, it was done for the cameras but genuine just the same. Just straight up good people.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,407

Post#113 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:30 pm

Unfortunately, the wife and I had to attend the funeral of her best friend's mother last week. Obviously terrible.

It did, however, in a **** up way motivate us to watch (re-watch for me) Six Feet Under. It's been 10+ years since I watched it last and it holds up great (save for the driving-in-the-car conversation scenes). My wife can't get enough of it, it's been really fun. The last time I watched I related so much to Claire's character, this time around I find myself relating more to Nate.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,205

Post#114 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:33 pm

chonestown wrote:

As someone who's played basketball their whole lives and ingested copious amounts of psychedelics, then baby, call me Big Red, cuz I approve this message.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#115 » by buckboy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:43 pm

chonestown wrote:So no one's going to talk about the Walton 30 for 30, much less the footage of him at the dinner table with his sons, chomping away while a game is on TV and off-handedly saying "Greg Ostertag is the finest history in the history of the NBA" while Luke and the rest are incredulous?

Anyway, I liked it a lot which was to be expected. Steve James put it together and while it can't touch "Hoop Dreams" and doesn't have the tight focus of his Iverson 30 for 30, the vintage footage is a marvel and there's moments of power in Walton's talking head spots. The self-effacing stuff is clearly not an act and the doc captures Walton as an immensely generous but also prideful man. Kevin McHale also does a great impression of Walton stuttering.

Somewhat related: been trying to find a piece that ran in the Wash Po when Eddie Jordan was coaching and Walton popped in for a visit and introduced himself to his Eddie's grade-school kid. Played hoops with the boy, gave him some tips, referenced the pyramid and told the kid how lucky he was to have Eddie as his pop. Just breaks me up. There's a similar part in the 30 where Walton befriends some teens on his old neighborhood court. Clearly, it was done for the cameras but genuine just the same. Just straight up good people.

As has (probably) been discussed on these airwaves, I think Walton is probably the worst announcer in the history of sports, but he is definitely an interesting dude. I loved this series, although I don't really think we need all 4 episodes.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM

Post#116 » by buckboy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:45 pm

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes of "Full Circle", but man, there is a LOT going on. Very interested to see how it turns out.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#117 » by MoreTrife » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:47 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Unfortunately, the wife and I had to attend the funeral of her best friend's mother last week. Obviously terrible.

It did, however, in a **** up way motivate us to watch (re-watch for me) Six Feet Under. It's been 10+ years since I watched it last and it holds up great (save for the driving-in-the-car conversation scenes). My wife can't get enough of it, it's been really fun. The last time I watched I related so much to Claire's character, this time around I find myself relating more to Nate.

FInale remains to this day one of the hardest times I've cried alongside funeral/family stuff haha.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,407

Post#118 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:49 pm

MoreTrife wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Unfortunately, the wife and I had to attend the funeral of her best friend's mother last week. Obviously terrible.

FInale remains to this day one of the hardest times I've cried alongside funeral/family stuff haha.

Dude, I tear up when I even think about the finale. :lol: Masterpiece. At least I know what is coming, it is going to completely wreck her once we get there.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
buckboy
RealGM

Post#119 » by buckboy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:53 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
MoreTrife wrote:

Dude, I tear up when I even think about the finale. :lol: Masterpiece. At least I know what is coming, it is going to completely wreck her once we get there.

Yep. My sister asked me for a recommendation a few months ago. Out of the blue, I got a text reading something like "Thanks for the recommendation you **** ****. I'm sitting here bawling".

Adding to the comedic effect was the fact that I had no clue what she was talking about. :lol:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#120 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:24 pm

Six Feet Under definitely had one of the best finales ever. Perfect. I don't think I've watched any of the series since it originally aired, time for a rewatch.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks