ImageImage

PG Bulls - Win

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

tonymanero
Ballboy
And1: 33

Re: PG Bulls - Win 

Post#101 » by tonymanero » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:29 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:We're really doing the thing we did in the Skiles/Kidd era where we're pining for obvious non-NBA talents like Doron Lamb, Nate Wolters, and Roko Ukic to get force-fed minutes just to "see what they have" lol. I'm not saying that I don't understand the sentiment, but no one should be that desperate to think that AJ Green is gonna ever be a factor in meaningful games for a championship contender. Even suggesting that Green might be one of the best 5 defenders on the team is absolute insanity.

He's a good basketball player. Has yet to make a turnover this year. Makes good decisions with the ball and makes shots. He's not getting paid to be a defensive stopper. He's going to be in the league a long time and his minutes are only going to increase because once Pat goes back in and you get 30% from three everyone is going to wish AJ was the one coming off the bench.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,627

Post#102 » by PG Graveyard » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:30 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I legitimately don't understand how we're the 4th best defense with a 98.6 DRTG in the clutch. Like, this team really does wait until they're about to lose in order to clamp up defensively.

A lot of the problems really are energy, effort and focus for the first 3 quarters. I don't know how to solve that though.
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,547

Post#103 » by Milbucks96 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:33 pm

Idk why people love to call guys hungover. Unless he has real info it’s just weird and corny.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,323

Post#104 » by fan230 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:35 pm

I like Green. He and Malik can overwhelm defenses on their day. If Malik is not hot on a day, Green could be andvice versa.

If only we had better defense from our guards, we would be a complete team.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,778

Post#105 » by jimmybones » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:37 pm

You will not convince me that Duncan Robinson can have a useful NBA role but AJ Green can't.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#106 » by BuckFan25226 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:41 pm

neiLz wrote:henning at it. first AG must be fired ASAP. Now dame is a drunk that plays hungover.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

:o
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#107 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:49 pm

Hangovers do start to hit you hard in your mid 30’s.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,159

Post#108 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:We're really doing the thing we did in the Skiles/Kidd era where we're pining for obvious non-NBA talents like Doron Lamb, Nate Wolters, and Roko Ukic to get force-fed minutes just to "see what they have" lol. I'm not saying that I don't understand the sentiment, but no one should be that desperate to think that AJ Green is gonna ever be a factor in meaningful games for a championship contender. Even suggesting that Green might be one of the best 5 defenders on the team is absolute insanity.

I get there are politics in play some of the time, but these guys are seeing Green and others in practice daily. It's easy for us to see them put in for 2 minutes in a position to succeed and do well and think they are the answer, but the coaches see them every day in practice. There is a reason a lot of those guys don't get major burn on the court. It's fun thinking these guys can be a cheap development piece but in 90% of the circumstance you can find a guy like Beasley, Payne, Wes, BroLo, Jevon, etc on vet min contracts that will instantly be better than these guys realistic ceiling.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,159

Post#109 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:57 pm

Yea, but me on the side of it's really weak to call someone hungover unless there are Stephen Jackson type flyers being posted around the cities of every road-trip. Guys just play bad either though a non-alcohol induced sickness, laziness, or off-night.

That said, I kind of wish it was due to hangovers. It would make me optimistic he can flip a switch in the playoffs. Currently, my concerns are he is losing his edge due to aging or there are issues with his role on the team (whether coaching, fit, whatever)
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#110 » by BigO » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:03 pm

Main takeaways from this game:

1) After three days of rest and practice and "figuring" out how to improve, the Bucks were the same. No visible changes. Almost lost to a depleted bad team. I'm thru giving Griffin slack. He's bad. Doesn't mean the Bucks can't win anyways, but with the defensive sieve at guard, I don't see it.

2) AJ Green was good and to the poster who thinks he is the worst defender he has seen in 40 years, you must think Green is Middleton. Green played good defense yesterday, except for one play I saw. He definitely needs to be in the rotation.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#111 » by jute2003 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:09 pm

The few times I've seen Green play this year, he's been no better or worse at defense than any of the other bucks guards. If his shot isn't falling, he isn't worth playing but he's incredibly effective if it is. sounds like a role player off the bench to me.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,033

Post#112 » by Prez » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:14 pm

This just isn’t a serious title contender under Griffin. Don’t care what the record is, we play a disorganized brand of basketball especially defensively, and other NBA coaches (especially the really good ones like Spo/Nurse/Carlisle) are probably laughing when they watch film of us.
El Pooch Grande
Bench Warmer
And1: 848

Post#113 » by El Pooch Grande » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:14 pm

Need more nuggets from mke_design’s source on Griff being on the hot seat…throw us a bone my friend!

"We are the Champions, my friends"
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,194

Post#114 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:21 pm

neiLz wrote:henning at it. first AG must be fired ASAP. Now dame is a drunk that plays hungover.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wtf is this nonsense?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,194

Post#115 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:22 pm

Milbucks96 wrote:Idk why people love to call guys hungover. Unless he has real info it’s just weird and corny.

Very. Fitting.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#116 » by neiLz » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:33 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Hangovers do start to hit you hard in your mid 30’s.

if i have 3 or more drinks in a night, my weekend is ruined. even if the drinks occur on a tuesday night.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,778

Post#117 » by jimmybones » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:06 pm

Guys, I'm drunk right now, it's not a big deal
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Post#118 » by msiris » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wtf is this nonsense?
Dames only hangover is AG.
Ride the tank
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,643

Post#119 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:28 pm

"He's hungover" is the new "Is he sick?" when someone has an off night.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,511

Post#120 » by old skool » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:29 pm

Odds & Ends:

To me, the Bucks look much more cohesive of late. As if the players have a better understanding of what they are trying to do. The ball is being funneled defensively, somewhat like past seasons. The offense seems to have a purpose, even if the results are often sketchy.

The rotations are pretty good. Stable and logical. NBA players like that.

The Bucks are a good team in the "clutch", because they don't play the young guys at the end of games. No Beauchamp, Green or Jackson. And often less Portis. That is not to slam the young guys. The Bucks are just better as a team when they have their big salary guys on the court together. Plus, at the end of games, Lillard seems to be more engaged defensively. Not good, just better. Kind of like Grayson Allen-lite.

The Bucks also conserve energy for the end of the game. Giannis had only 5 FGAs and 12 points when he entered the game with 9:00 left in regulation. In the last 9:00 he scored 15 points on 5-7 FGAs, and added another 5 points in OT. Lillard has had similar results in other games.

The Bucks were absurdly efficient in OT, scoring on every possession but one. They missed only 1 FGA (a Lillard 3) and had zero turnovers. Three missed FTAs (7-10 from FT line) were the only offensive weaknesses. It helped that, unlike the OT loss in Chicago, Middleton did not spend the OT on the bench under minutes restriction.

The Bucks have a top heavy roster - we know that. When some of the starters are sitting, veterans like Derozan, hunt weak defenders like Lillard and get easy looks. That does not work as well when a weak defender is backed by Giannis and Lopez.

I think we fans often confuse shooting variances with playing well. First half the Bucks are 12-20 from 3-point. Second half 5-15, while the Bulls were 6-12. Variances happen. Coby White was 6-10 from 3-point. Two of those makes came off broken plays, where White just threw up a shot because the shot clock was winding down.

Assistant coaches seem to be more involved with in-game instruction than they were under Budenholzer. Assistant involvement seems to be organized, with different assistants responsible for different groups of players, without real time input from Griffin.

Beasley is looking useful. He was good offensively for three quarters. After sitting for the first three minutes of the 4th Q, he played the final 14 minutes of the game during which his stat line was 2 points and a barrel of zeros - no misses, no fouls, TOs, rebounds, assists, steals or blocks. Zero. His presence helped space the floor. He facilitated and defended while the high salary stars dominated the ball. Looks like he really understands his role. While he is frustrating, what more could be expected of a vet minimum?

Lillard looked brutal - nothing like the end of game savior he has been so often this season. Looked like he was trying to hide a minor injury/tweak? But looked healthy on that vicious OT frustration slam.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks