ImageImage

24/25 College Basketball

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Re: 23/24 College Basketball 

Post#1001 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:21 pm

Wasn't there some of that political drama in one of the big football states happening already, possibly in Alabama? Where the RW senator or someone was pushing legislations against this because of the purity and how wrong it is for a 19 year old kid to be wearing a chain etc. And then the pushback was akin to what Kerb was getting at here along the line of "uhhh do you realize this would kill your powerhouse team and anger all the voters, etc".

It's a big big mess and somehow some rules will eventually get put in place. As of now my many years old prediction that football will get split off into its own league separate from the other sports with their own rules still seems quite likely. And now MBB coming with it though
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1002 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
It's the wild west right now, and the current system benefits no one but the players. If you think that's going to last, you're dreaming. Even the biggest programs are getting burned.

The biggest programs are getting burned, you say? Interesting. So were the top 5 of college football last year + the betting favorites this year something like Minnesota, Fresno State, Charlotte, Toledo, and Coastal Carolina? A changing of the guard thanks to NIL?

A&M, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Washington State, Washington, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Purdue, and Clemson all had high profile losses in the portal just this season.

Who cares? I'm sure these teams lost high profile recruits back in the old days as well.

These teams are absolutely loaded with talent and still get all of the best transfers and players with the biggest $ around. Notre Dame just got to buy their next QB instead of rebuild. Ditto on half of the other national powers.

About all I will agree with is that some 2nd tier teams may get the benefit of a QB that was stashed away on a power team roster, but this is similar to baseball:

The lack of salary cap is good for the players. They don't want a salary cap. It may help the greater good of the teams to have a salry cap - but you'll need the Yankees and Dodgers to lead the charge in getting that salary cap in place. Good luck.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,767

Post#1003 » by chonestown » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:44 pm

I'm thinking beyond NIL and even coaches quote strictly sticking to sports endquote. If there's bills advanced coaches view as detrimental to their program, they can upset the apple cart as it were.

Problem being, many of the boosters extending their largesse to the local athletic department are the same folks doing the same for electeds.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,046

Post#1004 » by BUCKnation » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:20 pm

I know they go hand in hand, but I think the portal is a bigger issue than NIL. Teams are going to have to start employing GM's soon.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,639

Post#1005 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:36 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely for players having more freedom and getting paid, but it seems like a happy medium needs to be found. Don't know what that is. Maybe they can move to a system where players all get paid the same amount, a number which increases every year they stay at the same school? I don't know, just spit balling.

The previous system where players were locked in and penniless while the coaches made millions and could change jobs whenever they wanted was bad, but it feels like it's gone too far the other way. Now it seems like most schools are feeder systems to either a) the top, top programs, or b) the programs with the most NIL cash.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,318

Post#1006 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Wild.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#1007 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wild.

Shes the Taylor Swift of womens basketball. Non sports watching people are tuning in to watch her play.
RogerMurdock
Analyst

Post#1008 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:23 am

Read on Twitter
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,802

Post#1009 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:37 am

Yeah I gotta say, I might be done.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,038

Post#1010 » by Plossum » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:07 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wild.

Shes the Taylor Swift of womens basketball. Non sports watching people are tuning in to watch her play.

Any reason she’s popular outside of being a killer on the court?
#LockUpChuck
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,318

Post#1011 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:10 am

RogerMurdock wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't *not* believe it, but I'm also skeptical of a rando on Twitter who isn't followed by anyone in the industry.
RogerMurdock
Analyst

Post#1012 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:11 am

Yeah, I wasn't sure either. Checked his past posts and seems like he might know his stuff. For instance, had info/predictions on coach signings days before they happened. Who knows.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,346

Post#1013 » by Mags FTW » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:09 am

Plossum wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wild.

Any reason she’s popular outside of being a killer on the court?

I would say that because nobody in the women's game can consistently dunk, their best "wow" plays are Curry-esque shooting displays and she is the closest thing to him ever. Outside of her, most of the best players on the women's side have been Duncan-like "Big Fundamental" aka :sleep:.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,198

Post#1014 » by midranger » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:40 am

The direction is clear. This is going to a 32ish team Premiere League made up primarily of the current SEC and Big Ten. There will be subsequent tiers with the leftovers, potentially with relegation and promotion, etc…. When this happens, the schools will HAVE to directly employ the players and there will HAVE to be a CBA to regulate pay and player movement. Full on professional sports.

If I’m an AD for a team like UW, I’m directing 90% of my resources at football for the next few years to fully ensure I’m part of that 32.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1015 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:59 pm

midranger wrote:The direction is clear. This is going to a 32ish team Premiere League made up primarily of the current SEC and Big Ten. There will be subsequent tiers with the leftovers, potentially with relegation and promotion, etc…. When this happens, the schools will HAVE to directly employ the players and there will HAVE to be a CBA to regulate pay and player movement. Full on professional sports.

If I’m an AD for a team like UW, I’m directing 90% of my resources at football for the next few years to fully ensure I’m part of that 32.

This is what I thought would happen but...why will it? How will it?

Somebody has to come to the table for it. I'm not sure anybody is going to want to unless their bottom line is hurt by loss of fans...which I actually don't think is going to happen.

This is also similar to the Big Ten West thing. I loved the Big Ten West. Everybody else seems to be jacked sky high about "big matchups" with USC and Ohio State where the team goes 7-5. I'm not sure Tennessee, Wisconsin, Texas, you name it - is going to want to enter into this Premier League. Somebody is gonna have to lose. And lose a lot. I understand for now that they are getting more premier matchups as it is - but at a certain point some of these top 25-ish schools are going to regret this if they really go that route when they go 2-10 for 3 years in a row in the Premier League.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,198

Post#1016 » by midranger » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:36 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
midranger wrote:The direction is clear. This is going to a 32ish team Premiere League made up primarily of the current SEC and Big Ten. There will be subsequent tiers with the leftovers, potentially with relegation and promotion, etc…. When this happens, the schools will HAVE to directly employ the players and there will HAVE to be a CBA to regulate pay and player movement. Full on professional sports.

Somebody has to come to the table for it. I'm not sure anybody is going to want to unless their bottom line is hurt by loss of fans...which I actually don't think is going to happen.

This is also similar to the Big Ten West thing. I loved the Big Ten West. Everybody else seems to be jacked sky high about "big matchups" with USC and Ohio State where the team goes 7-5. I'm not sure Tennessee, Wisconsin, Texas, you name it - is going to want to enter into this Premier League. Somebody is gonna have to lose. And lose a lot. I understand for now that they are getting more premier matchups as it is - but at a certain point some of these top 25-ish schools are going to regret this if they really go that route when they go 2-10 for 3 years in a row in the Premier League.

There’s bad teams in every pro league worldwide. They stay in it for many rea$on$.

There’s too much money on the line to care about losing some games.

The weak Big Ten west was great, because at the end of the year, you were a few lucky bounces against OSU in the BIGCCG away from making a national 4 team playoff. Once the teams segregate, that’s just not the case. You’re in the minors.

This is the rather go to the finals of NIT vs lose in the first round of NCAA argument.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1017 » by DingleJerry » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:08 pm

BTW I'd generally believe the Storr Kansas thing. It was mentioned fairly early he'd get over a million. If you heard of what others got last year and he's considered one of the top 3-5 available right now so its not surprising at all that he'll get a million or more from someone. Damask I think got 500K from Ill and I'd assume Shannon got more from them. I don't think I ever heard what Storr got at UW though.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1018 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:11 pm

midranger wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

There’s bad teams in every pro league worldwide. They stay in it for many rea$on$.

There’s too much money on the line to care about losing some games.

The weak Big Ten west was great, because at the end of the year, you were a few lucky bounces against OSU in the BIGCCG away from making a national 4 team playoff. Once the teams segregate, that’s just not the case. You’re in the minors.

This is the rather go to the finals of NIT vs lose in the first round of NCAA argument.

There are 2 paths here:

1. They craft a premier league with similar financial imbalance: Wisconsin and the like will have empty stadiums sitting at 2-6 going into November every year.

2. They have a fair salary cap: Would OSU agree to this? The only advantage these teams would have is geography. I guess it would be somewhat similar to the old days other than OSU or Florida have better marketing abilities instead of paying under the table while all other things are "fair." I actually just convinced myself that Wisconsin will win approximately 4 games per year in this format as well.

Back to the initial idea, though...why would they do this? Why not just stick with the current system and have somebody else pay the players? The universities and suits approve.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1019 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:12 pm

DingleJerry wrote:BTW I'd generally believe the Storr Kansas thing. It was mentioned fairly early he'd get over a million. If you heard of what others got last year and he's considered one of the top 3-5 available right now so its not surprising at all that he'll get a million or more from someone. Damask I think got 500K from Ill and I'd assume Shannon got more from them. I don't think I ever heard what Storr got at UW though.

I never know what to believe with this stuff because you hear these huge numbers and then reputable sources say "LOL" to them (Essegian deleted a tweet about it last night and Domask himself said $500k was not what he got).

But these all seem like reasonable numbers.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1020 » by DingleJerry » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:40 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:BTW I'd generally believe the Storr Kansas thing. It was mentioned fairly early he'd get over a million. If you heard of what others got last year and he's considered one of the top 3-5 available right now so its not surprising at all that he'll get a million or more from someone. Damask I think got 500K from Ill and I'd assume Shannon got more from them. I don't think I ever heard what Storr got at UW though.

I never know what to believe with this stuff because you hear these huge numbers and then reputable sources say "LOL" to them (Essegian deleted a tweet about it last night and Domask himself said $500k was not what he got).

But these all seem like reasonable numbers.

They also want to downplay to keep good views of themselves on it and there could be complications to it than straight up 500K cash. But all the reported info for the top guys the last couple years is above a million. And he's one of the top few guys available.

Oh also I should've clarified I'm not sure I'd fully believe the tough guy negotiation aspect of that Kansas story, who knows on all that. I just meant the dollar amounts.

Also, if I'm UW I'd rather spend 1.2 million on 3 players than all just on him. What a mess all this is, if I'm Gard I'd rather just retire next year than deal with this and the crazy fans. An older guy without the ideal personality for all this, I'd take my money and go home like so many other coaches have done.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks