31%

Total votes: 36

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Re: #24 - MarJon Beauchamp - NEW POLL ADDED 12/4/23 

Post#1041 » by buckboy » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:11 pm

D

I think I voted C the first time. I've never seen it with him. Didn't like him pre-draft and nothing has changed.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#1042 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:14 pm

I think people throw out the "doesn't have great feel for the game" accusation way too often. The real cerebral dudes with advanced ball skills and court awareness in his age range are the rarities. I think we collectively just kinda overrated him as a pure athlete. Above-average run and jump guy but you see even as he's added strength/mass, he still gets moved off his spots too easily. Calling him a "big wing" was always weird to me. He's just not.
Bmaasse
Senior
And1: 590

Post#1043 » by Bmaasse » Mon Dec 4, 2023 6:08 pm

Maybe his ankle is still affecting him? He was playing better prior to getting hurt.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,971

Post#1044 » by tydett » Mon Dec 4, 2023 6:28 pm

Seems like a good teammate and a nice kid, but if he were on OKC he wouldn't play or would already be gone. He does some nice things and our team is so desperate for young talent that he has opportunity, but I'm just not sure he ever becomes more than a 9th man/10 mpg guy.
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#1045 » by pifhluk23 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 10:34 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think people throw out the "doesn't have great feel for the game" accusation way too often. The real cerebral dudes with advanced ball skills and court awareness in his age range are the rarities. I think we collectively just kinda overrated him as a pure athlete. Above-average run and jump guy but you see even as he's added strength/mass, he still gets moved off his spots too easily. Calling him a "big wing" was always weird to me. He's just not.

We knew how to run a fast break in HS and no one on my team was even going to play D3 college. It's not rocket science either, spread the floor and force the defense to commit. I've seen him mess this up probably 5 times this year.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,434

Post#1046 » by randy84 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:41 am

Not sure how legit this site is. Some advanced stats formulas are way above my head, but look at number 12 on this list.
https://craftednba.com/player-traits/replacement
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,028

Post#1047 » by mattg » Tue Dec 5, 2023 2:49 am

Ron Swanson wrote:I think people throw out the "doesn't have great feel for the game" accusation way too often. The real cerebral dudes with advanced ball skills and court awareness in his age range are the rarities. I think we collectively just kinda overrated him as a pure athlete. Above-average run and jump guy but you see even as he's added strength/mass, he still gets moved off his spots too easily. Calling him a "big wing" was always weird to me. He's just not.

Said it a bunch. Because we have had the least physically impressive and least athletic wings in the entire NBA for literally the last 15 years, seeing a young wing who was a decent athlete caused this board as a whole to greatly overrate his athleticism and potential.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,113

Post#1048 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:16 am

mattg wrote:

Said it a bunch. Because we have had the least physically impressive and least athletic wings in the entire NBA for literally the last 15 years, seeing a young wing who was a decent athlete caused this board as a whole to greatly overrate his athleticism and potential.

fans always overrate rookies too

hes a very suspect defender which is the problem more than his offense. i think a version of ajax bounce and initial feel defensively is what we all would have hoped
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,028

Post#1049 » by mattg » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:54 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
mattg wrote:

hes a very suspect defender which is the problem more than his offense. i think a version of ajax bounce and initial feel defensively is what we all would have hoped

Marjon just sucks. He's a total spaz on both ends. Defensively he literally gives opponents whatever they want. If they want to move him, they move him. If they want to go by they go by. They get him with fakes. Just is what it is.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,922

Re: #24 - MarJon Beauchamp - Poll Added 

Post#1050 » by Dick Tate » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:17 am

Shaffty wrote:
Shaffty wrote:Marjon background i wrote for a friend i figured id post here so we are all on the same page

So he was a top aau prospect in highschool, 5 star. Mvp of one of the hardest aau leagues as a junior and was going head to head against alot of guys from the 2021 draft class and holding his own. Then he decided instead of going to college he would go to a private training facility in san fran called chamelon BX that was run by former nba coaches because he wanted to work on his body and add muscle (and rumor is he had some academic problems that woulda made getting into some colleges tough, however he did have lots of offers from alabama georgetown washington and usc.)

So he joins this private facility and then covid hits and cali shuts everything down. Hes stuck lifting alone in his apartment and trying to find outside courts to play in and spirals into lonliness and depression and moves home.

Basically is forgotten and is about to quit ball all together, when his childhood friends convince him to come play for their team at the local community college, where he remembers why hes loves basketball and also dominates. Then with the some help from jamal crawford he gets a try out for the g league ignite and makes the team. He becomes the 2nd leading scorer on a team with a bunch of greedy guards and a coach who admitted he never ran a play for him.

Hes an elite 5 star prospect who because of covid and his choices kind of got forgotten by the league.

Sent from my SM-F711U using RealGM mobile app

be on the right side of history

I don’t remember how I voted but I remembered this post.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,403

Re: #24 - MarJon Beauchamp 

Post#1051 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:29 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:The real issue with MarJon is he's just not that slippery. He doesn't have driving moves. He can back cut, he finishes on the break. He'll shoot just fine with NBA training. He just won't score with any volume. He compares himself to Mikal Bridges, and they're actually pretty similar.

Remember, many thought Bridges was a huge risk as a shooter. He's fine now.

If you toss out the references to Bridges (who was better, and now really better), the description above fits him to a T. Well done.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,813

Post#1052 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 2:00 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:The real issue with MarJon is he's just not that slippery. He doesn't have driving moves. He can back cut, he finishes on the break. He'll shoot just fine with NBA training. He just won't score with any volume. He compares himself to Mikal Bridges, and they're actually pretty similar.

If you toss out the references to Bridges (who was better, and now really better), the description above fits him to a T. Well done.

It's amazing what Bridges has become since getting out from under Monty Williams.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1053 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:25 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

It's amazing what Bridges has become since getting out from under Monty Williams.
Other than Bridges usage rate jumping from about 19% to 30% last year and 26% this yeat he's basically the same player he was last year in Phoenix before the trade. His advanced defensive numbers have dropped with his added offensive work load. Hell there's are argument to be made he was a better player as a 3rd option for Phoenix although the raw stats are obviously better now.

Monty absolutely loved Bridges.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#1054 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:39 pm

If dude has anywhere near Bridges' potential then we're gonna be a dynasty lol. If we're talking Villanova wings, I'll settle for a Kerry Kittles ceiling at this point.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,113

Post#1055 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:56 pm

mattg wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
mattg wrote:Said it a bunch. Because we have had the least physically impressive and least athletic wings in the entire NBA for literally the last 15 years, seeing a young wing who was a decent athlete caused this board as a whole to greatly overrate his athleticism and potential.

Marjon just sucks. He's a total spaz on both ends. Defensively he literally gives opponents whatever they want. If they want to move him, they move him. If they want to go by they go by. They get him with fakes. Just is what it is.

yep.. agree hes brutal. if he could be a plus defender i could live with his offense just on his shot alone but being a nwora level defender makes him doomed
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#1056 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:57 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:If dude has anywhere near Bridges' potential then we're gonna be a dynasty lol. If we're talking Villanova wings, I'll settle for a Kerry Kittles ceiling at this point.

God, we could be so lucky for solid 12-15 ppg production from him.

In the spirit of C being an average student, Marjon is definitely a D right now. He might be literally average league-wide considering deep bench, but that's not exactly what we're trying to grade or go for.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks