ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#1121 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Head on over to Buckyville where the old guard of guys that love to be absolute **** were laughing at anyone talking about whispers of rumors all morning.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1122 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 pm

The thing is - I said this would be a "good" thing, losing some key players this offseason and getting some with higher ceilings...

But Storr and Chucky were the 2 I *wouldn't* want to lose.

And now that the transfer portal is going bonkers, I'm not sure we can pick up the pieces and take advantage of it to hop other teams. The cat is out of the bag.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#1123 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:08 pm

Seeing some reporting that Chucky got more from Michigan St than Storr got from Kansas. Wisconsin needs to land some top tier targets now
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,177

Post#1124 » by midranger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:09 pm

Heard a couple weeks ago this was possible, so when I saw it trending this morning, I figured it’d be inevitable.

We’ll see what happens, but I’m not encouraged.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1125 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

I got wind of some former Minnesota staff (where things are probably worse) basically panhandling and asking for anything they could get to try to keep role players around.

I may have miscalculated Wisconsin's place in the pecking order, though. It appears we may be also losing top-tier guys. I figured Gard and co. would sit in the 2nd/3rd tier of teams in budget...we'll see how the rest of this portal season goes I guess.

The thing is - maybe donors will eventually lose interest if they get burned - but if Arkansas, Kansas, whatever are always going to have more cash - there isn't as much of an avenue to be consistently good like the Brewers in baseball. In those sports, these teams will eventually be burned by long contracts, roster spots, luxury tax, etc...in theory, this is just an endless stream of money for the big dogs.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1126 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I got wind of some former Minnesota staff (where things are probably worse) basically panhandling and asking for anything they could get to try to keep role players around.

I may have miscalculated Wisconsin's place in the pecking order, though. It appears we may be also losing top-tier guys. I figured Gard and co. would sit in the 2nd/3rd tier of teams in budget...we'll see how the rest of this portal season goes I guess.

The thing is - maybe donors will eventually lose interest if they get burned - but if Arkansas, Kansas, whatever are always going to have more cash - there isn't as much of an avenue to be consistently good like the Brewers in baseball. In those sports, these teams will eventually be burned by long contracts, roster spots, luxury tax, etc...in theory, this is just an endless stream of money for the big dogs.

From my understanding Wisconsin is roughly in the top 1/3 of the Big Ten when it comes to NIL. Meaning there roughly 5-6ish teams with more to spend then they do in conference. I've also heard schools that either don't offer football(Creighton for example) or prioritize Basketball over football(Kansas, Uconn, Duke, etc.) are way above the schools that prioritize football when it comes to NIL. In this new landscape Wisconsin is likely around 20-25ish in the country in NIL as an estimation. We'll see what the program does going forward but I'm not sure Wisconsin is in a position to be a top 10-15 basketball team regularly. We may need to adjust our expectations going forward which is unfortunate
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
midranger
RealGM

Post#1127 » by midranger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

Just get in the inevitable premier league based on football. Divert all resources short term to ensure that. Basketball will profit on the back end.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,788

Post#1128 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

Honestly, what a mess. Glad I've grown more distant to the sport the past couple years (which is sad), because this would have felt all the more brutal if I was still heavily invested.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I got wind of some former Minnesota staff (where things are probably worse) basically panhandling and asking for anything they could get to try to keep role players around.

From my understanding Wisconsin is roughly in the top 1/3 of the Big Ten when it comes to NIL. Meaning there roughly 5-6ish teams with more to spend then they do in conference. I've also heard schools that either don't offer football(Creighton for example) or prioritize Basketball over football(Kansas, Uconn, Duke, etc.) are way above the schools that prioritize football when it comes to NIL. In this new landscape Wisconsin is likely around 20-25ish in the country in NIL as an estimation. We'll see what the program does going forward but I'm not sure Wisconsin is in a position to be a top 10-15 basketball team regularly. We may need to adjust our expectations going forward which is unfortunate

20-25th in the country in NIL for basketball is not terrible. Bo Ryan, and to a lesser extent, Gard, would do just fine with that.

This is all kinda where I thought we were. It will be telling what NIL we have or I guess Gard's ability to navigate this over the next few weeks.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1130 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

midranger wrote:Just get in the inevitable premier league based on football. Divert all resources short term to ensure that. Basketball will profit on the back end.

We've had this debate...unless they can write the inequality into the rules, it's going to be hard to get a team like Kansas or the basketball-only schools to get out of the current structure. This is great for them.

It's funny because I don't ask for that much from the Badgers. Just a solid team most years. The pat few months/years, I was saying, "wow, I'm enjoying this NIL/transfer era more than I thought I would. It's fine." But then when your team gets completely ransacked you suddenly come to such realization that you don't like it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1131 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:25 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

20-25th in the country in NIL for basketball is not terrible. Bo Ryan, and to a lesser extent, Gard, would do just fine with that.

This is all kinda where I thought we were. It will be telling what NIL we have or I guess Gard's ability to navigate this over the next few weeks.

I would imagine Wisconsin has some money to spend after losing Storr, Wahl, & Chucky. The question is if the players they bring in will be as good and it's obviously too soon to tell for that. I'd imagine they can still be competitive next year with a few transfer additions but probably not enough for the fan bases liking.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1132 » by midranger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 pm

The football money is going to be STUPID. The basketball only teams will fall behind quickly.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1133 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

midranger wrote:The football money is going to be STUPID. The basketball only teams will fall behind quickly.

But Marquette's boosters only have to give to basketball. That's the idea. Creighton and Marquette will have a good amount to spend on basketball transfers.

This is detached from TV contracts (though it may indirectly funnel through) - so even if Alabama is getting $3 billion from ESPN or whatever, that doesn't affect their ability to buy transfers.

Of course, if it goes to the Premier League/pay the players model, then yeah, suddenly the basketball-only schools will be in some trouble.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1134 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I would imagine Wisconsin has some money to spend after losing Storr, Wahl, & Chucky. The question is if the players they bring in will be as good and it's obviously too soon to tell for that. I'd imagine they can still be competitive next year with a few transfer additions but probably not enough for the fan bases liking.

Absolutely. Like I was on a few weeks ago, if they want to quietly let Crowl leave and get a different player, that's great. It's going to be a challenge to lose your truly really good players, though.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,760

Post#1135 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm

Geeeeesh
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,272

Post#1136 » by DingleJerry » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm

Yea this is going to be the telling offseason for Gard on whether he can adapt and play in the new world. I'm guess he won't 'kill it' in the portal or anything but the team will be middle of the pack and next year is likely it for him. To the talk a few weeks ago on here on running back the vet team to see how it goes assuming it didn't get dismantled is now gone. If they had a line on a new coach like they did Fickle you might as well do it now. If you don't, ride it out.

That said, with the state of CBB I don't think any coach is going to come into UW and get to what the 'fire gard' type camp wants which is top 10ish type teams competing for FFs. UW is just not going to be able to compete at that level in this new world, being consistently OK/fine like they have been the last 6ish years really should be the expectation at this point. Every coach will be competing with a hand tied behind his back, like Gard is now. But, I get after 10 years to try someone new. JUst don't think even a new up tempo good personality coach will really matter all that much considering they just won't have the money to get/keep the players.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,691

Post#1137 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Essegian had a legit reason to transfer out and Storr was just a mercenary but this is where it gets gross.

Read on Twitter

If he wants to compete for a national championship, this wasn’t the team to do it. I’ll reserve judgement until we know where he is going.

The thing is, there are only so many guys that compete for a national championship. He's really good, I was the Chucky stan all along...but there are probably still 10+ better PGs, nationally, I'd imagine. Those are the guys that can chase titles...you can only have so many top rosters that need a PG.

That said, if UW's NIL budget is low, then he could jump ship for a bag of cash and a team that is better situated simultaneously.

I’m thinking of Creighton. Him and Fidler can both go there and immediately have a chance at a good tourney run. McDermott is a great coach. I can’t blame him if that’s where Chuckie is going.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1138 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
If he wants to compete for a national championship, this wasn’t the team to do it. I’ll reserve judgement until we know where he is going.

The thing is, there are only so many guys that compete for a national championship. He's really good, I was the Chucky stan all along...but there are probably still 10+ better PGs, nationally, I'd imagine. Those are the guys that can chase titles...you can only have so many top rosters that need a PG.

That said, if UW's NIL budget is low, then he could jump ship for a bag of cash and a team that is better situated simultaneously.

I’m thinking of Creighton. Him and Fidler can both go there and immediately have a chance at a good tourney run. McDermott is a great coach. I can’t blame him if that’s where Chuckie is going.

That's fine - McDermott is fine as a coach and like I said, I have taken my opinion of Gard down a few notches in the new era...

But going to Creighton with a guy that sucked against major competition (Fidler) and just bringing Fidler along with to Wisconsin probably would've given a pretty similar chance at a "title run." It's not like Chucky is going to Arkansas with Cal and some acquisition of like 5 of the highest priced pickups...this is full-well knowing that Creighton may be flush with some basketball cash.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,691

Post#1139 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

That's fine - McDermott is fine as a coach and like I said, I have taken my opinion of Gard down a few notches in the new era...

But going to Creighton with a guy that sucked against major competition (Fidler) and just bringing Fidler along with to Wisconsin probably would've given a pretty similar chance at a "title run." It's not like Chucky is going to Arkansas with Cal and some acquisition of like 5 of the highest priced pickups...this is full-well knowing that Creighton may be flush with some basketball cash.

Creighton made the elite 8 and sweet 16 the last two years. 2017 was so long ago.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,270

Post#1140 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm

You guys can't possibly believe Chucky is leaving because he wants a better shot at a championship.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks