ImageImage

24/25 College Basketball

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,165

Re: 24/25 College Basketball 

Post#1141 » by Matches Malone » Tue May 14, 2024 4:57 pm

That's hilarious. Doesn't doug usually have bad takes that go viral? Maybe he can spark some weird stuff with NIL and attention for recruiting. Doubt it helps, but maybe.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#1142 » by MikeIsGood » Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote:That's hilarious. Doesn't doug usually have bad takes that go viral? Maybe he can spark some weird stuff with NIL and attention for recruiting. Doubt it helps, but maybe.

Yes. He's a **** moron. I believe he was actually sued for libel a few years ago :lol:
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,136

Post#1143 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 pm

Letting him both coach AND continue his national radio show it absolutely wild, I can't imagine this works out. Which really sucks after the turn around they had last year
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,332

Post#1144 » by humanrefutation » Tue May 14, 2024 5:40 pm

Stupid ass decision by UWGB.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#1145 » by MickeyDavis » Tue May 14, 2024 6:11 pm

Gimmick hire. Dumb.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1146 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 14, 2024 6:11 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Stupid ass decision by UWGB.

I'll play devil's advocate...maybe not?

The program is down, they've been one of the worst D1 programs, I'm not really familiar with it but apparently the school itself is not much of a campus experience...

They almost give me the vibe that they should consider moving down to D3 anyways, but if they don't, you make a good hire like Sundance, he's gone in a season or two anyways.

This move will probably fail and leave them irrelevant (as they have been anyways) - but maybe, just maybe, Gottlieb's national presence makes them a little bit better. I'd imagine at that point Gottlieb would consider trying to climb the coaching ladder...but I guess he could also choose to stay with this wacky arrangement of coaching and talk show that only UWGB would allow or something.

Arguably the only reason they finally got out of the dumpster last year was they got a high-major-caliber transfer in Noah Reynolds, stolen from Gard at the last moment, because he wanted to play with his brother as assistant coach.

They have essentially nothing to lose.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1147 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:41 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

The program is down, they've been one of the worst D1 programs, I'm not really familiar with it but apparently the school itself is not much of a campus experience...

They almost give me the vibe that they should consider moving down to D3 anyways, but if they don't, you make a good hire like Sundance, he's gone in a season or two anyways.

This move will probably fail and leave them irrelevant (as they have been anyways) - but maybe, just maybe, Gottlieb's national presence makes them a little bit better. I'd imagine at that point Gottlieb would consider trying to climb the coaching ladder...but I guess he could also choose to stay with this wacky arrangement of coaching and talk show that only UWGB would allow or something.

Arguably the only reason they finally got out of the dumpster last year was they got a high-major-caliber transfer in Noah Reynolds, stolen from Gard at the last moment, because he wanted to play with his brother as assistant coach.

This is just factually incorrect. They were a dumpster fire under Will Ryan, but before then they were regularly competitive under Kowalczyk, Wardle, & Darner, they haven't been any more irrelevant then any normal low level conference team. Then as soon as Ryan got fired and they hired a legitimate coach they bounced back to relevance again. This feels like the Will Ryan mistake all over again, hiring someone for their "name" rather than their coaching ability.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1148 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

This is just factually incorrect. They were a dumpster fire under Will Ryan, but before then they were regularly competitive under Kowalczyk, Wardle, & Darner, they haven't been any more irrelevant then any normal low level conference team. Then as soon as Ryan got fired and they hired a legitimate coach they bounced back to relevance again. This feels like the Will Ryan mistake all over again, hiring someone for their "name" rather than their coaching ability.

I think Wicks realized that he got lucky as hell to have Noah Reynolds, who is gone, and might go right back into the dumpster. Stock never higher.

Wardle was good but the era was different. The rest of the guys were fine, Darner got lucky one year.

I think any reasonable fan would tell you that they know their place is very fair at being the #200 KenPom team as they generally have hovered around, which those coaches landed at. Maybe they could hire another Darner sort of guy and finish 4th/5th in a garbage Horizon every year and that's not awful.

I just think in the NIL era when you assume players will bounce after any success - it's an even tougher job given UWGB has to be pretty far down in the pecking order/priority.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,362

Post#1149 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 14, 2024 6:54 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I think Wicks realized that he got lucky as hell to have Noah Reynolds, who is gone, and might go right back into the dumpster. Stock never higher.

Wardle was good but the era was different. The rest of the guys were fine, Darner got lucky one year.

I think any reasonable fan would tell you that they know their place is very fair at being the #200 KenPom team as they generally have hovered around, which those coaches landed at. Maybe they could hire another Darner sort of guy and finish 4th/5th in a garbage Horizon every year and that's not awful.

I just think in the NIL era when you assume players will bounce after any success - it's an even tougher job given UWGB has to be pretty far down in the pecking order/priority.

Nonsense. Reasonable fans have never heard of KenPom.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1150 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I'm comparing UWGB to other Horizon League teams. Under Darner they finished 4th, 3rd, 7th, 4th, 3rd with a tournament appearance in his 5 years. Directly before that under Wardle they finished 7th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd. It's true that UWGB is a spot where any player with a modicum if success is likely to bounce to the portal, but that's true of all Horizon League teams. UWGB had the reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Year and he wasn't going to transfer until Sunny left. UWGB isn't ever going to be a basketball powerhouse, but nobody in the Horizon League will be. UWGB can certainly be consistently competitive in the Horizon League but they need a decent coach, not a radio host who isn't going to take the job seriously
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1151 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I'm comparing UWGB to other Horizon League teams. Under Darner they finished 4th, 3rd, 7th, 4th, 3rd with a tournament appearance in his 5 years. Directly before that under Wardle they finished 7th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd. It's true that UWGB is a spot where any player with a modicum if success is likely to bounce to the portal, but that's true of all Horizon League teams. UWGB had the reigning Horizon League Freshman of the Year and he wasn't going to transfer until Sunny left. UWGB isn't ever going to be a basketball powerhouse, but nobody in the Horizon League will be. UWGB can certainly be consistently competitive in the Horizon League but they need a decent coach, not a radio host who isn't going to take the job seriously

It's also possible that at this late-ish stage of the offseason, the candidate pool wasn't great, again, given that nobody wants one of these jobs right now.

So gamble on this for 2 years and try something else if it's an outright disaster. You'll be building a brand new team every season whether you have a new coach or not anyways.
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yes, whether you want to use KenPom or spot among Horizon League, the ~200th best team is the 4th/5th team in the Horizon League on aggregate. You get the idea. It's not a great conference so it's just noting that they are a competent lower major team.
That is probably the ceiling outside of an absolute home run like Wardle, which may not be possible anymore other than one magical season.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1152 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:16 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

It's also possible that at this late-ish stage of the offseason, the candidate pool wasn't great, again, given that nobody wants one of these jobs right now.

So gamble on this for 2 years and try something else if it's an outright disaster. You'll be building a brand new team every season whether you have a new coach or not anyways.
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yes, whether you want to use KenPom or spot among Horizon League, the ~200th best team is the 4th/5th team in the Horizon League on aggregate. You get the idea. It's not a great conference so it's just noting that they are a competent lower major team.
That is probably the ceiling outside of an absolute home run like Wardle, which may not be possible anymore other than one magical season.

I wanted them to either hire John Brannen or promote Monaghan to be the interim for one year. When UWGB has hired legitimately qualified Head Coaches they have been a relevant competitive team in the Horizon League. When they hired Will Ryan because he was Bo's kid they turned into a dumpster fire. This feels much more like the Will Ryan hire in the fact that they are hiring a name rather than a qualified coach.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#1153 » by DingleJerry » Tue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm

I'd agree on this being bad or gimmicky too. But there is probably a logic or line of thinking that in the new era actual Xs and Os coaching is as unimportant as HC than its ever been. So a no name team like UWGB just got a "name" to be the head coach and hopefully get them in the conversation in the portal moreso than they would be by hiring a complete unknown like if they grabbed the UW Oshkosh coach or Dean Oliver. But he has to hire good assistants to actually coach/train. Not saying it'll work but I see the logic or why a crap team might try it.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1154 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

ReasonablySober wrote:

I wanted them to either hire John Brannen or promote Monaghan to be the interim for one year. When UWGB has hired legitimately qualified Head Coaches they have been a relevant competitive team in the Horizon League. When they hired Will Ryan because he was Bo's kid they turned into a dumpster fire. This feels much more like the Will Ryan hire in the fact that they are hiring a name rather than a qualified coach.

If you want to be a nihilist - how much does being the 5th best team in the Horizon League move the needle for a conference/program that is really at the bottom of an ocean of difference now? I guess the idea is if that is your ceiling, **** it, take a big Sammy Sosa swing for the fences, because I think they're kinda boned in this era.

The Wardle years and that Darner year were built with 4-year players, which isn't possible anymore. Of course, I realize the bottom 250ish teams and basically the entire Horizon League now has to play at this disadvantage every year now, but I think UWGB may even be further down in the pecking order at this point.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1155 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

If you want to be a nihilist - how much does being the 5th best team in the Horizon League move the needle for a conference/program that is really at the bottom? I guess the idea is if that is your ceiling, **** it, take a big Sammy Sosa swing for the fences, because I think they're kinda boned in this era.

The Wardle years and that Darner year were built with 4-year players, which isn't possible anymore. Of course, I realize the bottom 250ish teams and basically the entire Horizon League now has to play at this disadvantage every year now, but I think UWGB may even be further down in the pecking order at this point.

I'm not sure why UWGB would be at any more of a disadvantage than any other Horizon League Team. Before Will Ryan came they were regularly a top 3-5 team in conference. That seems like a perfectly reasonable goal for UWGB given their past success. I get the portal/NIL era will make it harder for UWGB compared to schools in bigger conferences but I don't understand why it would lower the expectation within the conference.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#1156 » by DingleJerry » Tue May 14, 2024 7:33 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

If you want to be a nihilist - how much does being the 5th best team in the Horizon League move the needle for a conference/program that is really at the bottom? I guess the idea is if that is your ceiling, **** it, take a big Sammy Sosa swing for the fences, because I think they're kinda boned in this era.

I'm not sure why UWGB would be at any more of a disadvantage than any other Horizon League Team. Before Will Ryan came they were regularly a top 3-5 team in conference. That seems like a perfectly reasonable goal for UWGB given their past success. I get the portal/NIL era will make it harder for UWGB compared to schools in bigger conferences but I don't understand why it would lower the expectation within the conference.

Worse weather, bad campus, not near a major city like many others. But generally speaking you're right, all are in the same ballpark. Them trying this is an attempt to differentiate themselves though and NOT be like everyone else. Will it work/help? I doubt it, but their exposure level just went up
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1157 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Yes, I noted this in my post that they play at the same disadvantage.

I'm just saying now that there is an ocean of difference between the highest levels and UWGB, does being a competent, middle team in the Horizon move the needle much as these programs probably get buried by TV networks and losing any of your good players and probably coach sooner than later now, **** it, who cares...just go nuclear for a year or two if the opportunity is there.

As DingleJerry noted, they are probably in the middle/lower side of facilities, weather, etc. in the Horizon League. Even the ability to have a 4-year coach who builds with UW castoffs and Juco guys over 3-4 years like Wardle is kind of gone. It's gone for everyone, but now you're forced to build on the fly every year with probably a bottom Horizon profile.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1158 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:40 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Worse weather, bad campus, not near a major city like many others. But generally speaking you're right, all are in the same ballpark. Them trying this is an attempt to differentiate themselves though and NOT be like everyone else. Will it work/help? I doubt it, but their exposure level just went up

In theory I don't mind the idea of "taking a shot". But when the guy you hired won't even give up his daily radio show from 3-6pm then I have to really question how invested he actually is. Hiring a coach with no experience and who isn't fully invested in the job is just not the route I'd have gone
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1159 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Yes, I noted this in my post that they play at the same disadvantage.

I'm just saying now that there is an ocean of difference between the highest levels and UWGB, does being a competent, middle team in the Horizon move the needle much as these programs probably get buried by TV networks and losing any of your good players and probably coach sooner than later now, **** it, who cares...just go nuclear for a year or two if the opportunity is there.

As a UWGB alum/fan, give me a solid competitive team every year. Also they weren't "middle", they were consistently in the top half of the Horizon before Will Ryan. Just on the surface it's absurd to hire a coach who isn't even willing to give up his day job. How in the world is he going to recruit, gameplan, and run a radio show all at once? Most D1 coaches already hate the work/life balance
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1160 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

In theory I don't mind the idea of "taking a shot". But when the guy you hired won't even give up his daily radio show from 3-6pm then I have to really question how invested he actually is. Hiring a coach with no experience and who isn't fully invested in the job is just not the route I'd have gone

I realize that 17-20 year-olds are not glued to Doug Gottlieb's radio show or radio in general, but exposure is exposure. It probably fails like Herm Edwards (actually, they were roughly as good as ASU always was), but the radio show/exposure is probably a feature not a bug. Nobody ever gives a thought to UWGB basketball. Nobody still will, probably, but maybe they get a bit of extra $ or whatever due to this and it gives them a slight leg up.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks