ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Horst to Detroit rumor

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,235

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas 

Post#1141 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:43 pm

It all just depends on how much weight you put on consistency vs. peak. Like, no problem with the people that favor Jokic's consistency and postseason resiliency on offense, but for instance, 2021 Finals Giannis is a level that Jokic simply is incapable of reaching. We're talking about a guy who's giving you 35+ on 66% TS while bending the geometry of the court on both ends because he was also being an absolute eraser on defense. Personally, I'll always choose the better peak guy if I have a reasonable expectation that he can achieve that peak level of play more often than not when it matters most.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,765

Post#1142 » by msiris » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:20 pm

msiris wrote:Giannis is aiming to become the 1st player ever to score 30 ppg at 60 percent or better in a seaon. If thats not a mvp what is?
Again no player has ever done this
Ride the tank
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,383

Post#1143 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:30 pm

Don't the numbers say Jokic has been top of the league good at defense too?
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,651

Post#1144 » by RogerMurdock » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:48 pm

Fotis St wrote:Giannis is not the same hungry beast anymore

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,424

Post#1145 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:26 pm

If Giannis wants his MVP title back, he's going to need to move to full-time center. There he'd be the human eraser again on defense. And on offense you just feed him all day long in the post.

But he just doesn't want his body to take that pounding, and frankly he loves initiating the offense with those drives. It is what it is. Guy is so good, and means so much to this franchise, that he's got the political capital to call his shots. I'm ok with that.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,071

Post#1146 » by emunney » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:11 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:If Giannis wants his MVP title back, he's going to need to move to full-time center. There he'd be the human eraser again on defense. And on offense you just feed him all day long in the post.

But he just doesn't want his body to take that pounding, and frankly he loves initiating the offense with those drives. It is what it is. Guy is so good, and means so much to this franchise, that he's got the political capital to call his shots. I'm ok with that.

Wouldn't be upset if he moved to full time C and continued initiating off the dribble. In fact, that would be part of the appeal for me.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#1147 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:18 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:If Giannis wants his MVP title back, he's going to need to move to full-time center. There he'd be the human eraser again on defense. And on offense you just feed him all day long in the post.

Very few centers post up, why should Giannis? His appeal at center would be destroying centers off the dribble.

Also, he needs to initiate the offense more. It's our best offense.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#1148 » by yannisk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:34 pm

Giannis and Jokic struggle for the mvp throne reminds me of the debate between Bird and Magic in their era. Not stylistically of course, Giannis(Bird) initially had the upper hand then Magic(Jokic) matched him and for many people overcame him, but a new force Jordan (Wemby) appeared that made that debate irrelevant. Of course Magic and Bird won many titles and played against each other in the playoffs while Giannis and Jokic won only once and dominated mainly the mvp race. Also Luka is still pretty young
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,071

Post#1149 » by emunney » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:56 pm

HBD to Brook, who, because he turned 36 today, is now officially "almost 37" by the rules of this board.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#1150 » by Milbucks96 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 10:15 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:

Very few centers post up, why should Giannis? His appeal at center would be destroying centers off the dribble.

Also, he needs to initiate the offense more. It's our best offense.

More inverted pick and roll with Dame and Khris. I used to the hate Giannis at the top of the key but with new shot selection, it’s more playoff viable.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,115

Post#1151 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:44 pm

i wish people would stop saying that giannis initiating offense is our best offense because its also the offense thats **** us over the most when it matters too.

in 7 game series against good coaches and teams it is NOT our best offense unless giannis is making his fts and and has some kind of middy game going too.

if giannis is a bricklayer from the midrange and the line then that offense sucks. its the easiest ever to defend and our team looks like a middle school operation when its being run

i do understand regular season numbers support it. i dont give a **** about that
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#1152 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:48 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:i wish people would stop saying that giannis initiating offense is our best offense because its also the offense thats **** us over the most when it matters too.

in 7 game series against good coaches and teams it is NOT our best offense unless giannis is making his fts and and has some kind of middy game going too.

if giannis is a bricklayer from the midrange and the line then that offense sucks. its the easiest ever to defend and our team looks like a middle school operation when its being run

i do understand regular season numbers support it. i dont give a **** about that

Also more effective than our other post season sets.

Not surprising response though from someone who was totally on with Jrue Holiday actively sabotaging our playoff offense.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,655

Post#1153 » by Profound23 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:55 pm

I am just glad that (most) people no longer believe it is best to take the ball out of Giannis' hands and have Dame lead the offense.

Any coach who was going to use that as our bread and butter was doomed to destroy this franchise.
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#1154 » by Milbucks96 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:11 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:i wish people would stop saying that giannis initiating offense is our best offense because its also the offense thats **** us over the most when it matters too.

Giannis isoing into a wall is still bad playoff offense. DHO, pick n roll with Khris, Dame, Pat, Beasley, and even Jae (the weakest defender will be guarding him) should be good offense and lead to consistency come playoff time. Lots of elbow touches to round it out and I’m feeling a lot more confident than usual. Dame should still get plenty pick n roll opportunities and Khris should also. Hopefully Bobby is on and knocks down enough shots to stay on the court.

We need the ball in Giannis hands the most since Dame won’t get calls and Khris can’t handle that type of volume anymore probably. I truly think it’s our best chance at winning anything and I’m worried that we’re going to lean a little too much Dame centric not accounting the new officiating and the new him.
Neuromancer56
Rookie
And1: 1,056

Post#1155 » by Neuromancer56 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:17 pm

If any of the Bucks players came on to this forum they would be roasted for not knowing anything about basketball.
None of them knew what SEGABABA meant. https://fb.watch/rbP3_TDr9B/
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,235

Post#1156 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:39 pm

Like, I doubt anyone here is actually advocating the idea that Dame shouldn't still be initiating the offense a lot, but as usual the hyperbole and strawman's get really annoying. Giannis "battering ram" offense is incredibly effective no matter how many derogatory nicknames you wanna give it. I mean, we already saw the surprising efficiency numbers when he takes 7+ dribbles, but he's also been one of the most efficient pick & roll ball-handlers in the league over the last few years because he's improved his handle and anticipation so much:

2024: 1.15 PPP (96th percentile)
2023: 1.05 PPP (87th percentile)

Meanwhile, Khris "initiating" the pick-and-roll offense:

2024: 0.89 PPP (58th percentile)
2023: 0.98 PPP (70th percentile)

Khris and Jrue in the championship run when all these posters convinced themselves that Giannis setting ball screens, playing off-ball, and "post touches" (0.92 PPP on post-ups that postseason) was the difference in winning a championship:

Khris: 0.90 PPP (1.06 PPP ISO though)
Jrue: 0.89 PPP

So, some people might wanna re-think what "trash" offense actually is. Historically, regular season OR playoffs, our best offensive sets have been either A) Giannis top-of-the-key attacking with a screen-setter, and B) Middleton attacking mismatches on ISO's.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,005

Post#1157 » by soxperry » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:42 pm

Neuromancer56 wrote:If any of the Bucks players came on to this forum they would be roasted for not knowing anything about basketball.

Thats not a basketball term. It has nothing to do w the game being played. Its just an acronym that fans and media have been using. The fan experience is a very different lens than the player experience. Doesn't surprise me that they didnt know it
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,228

Post#1158 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:50 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
Fotis St wrote:Giannis is not the same hungry beast anymore

DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,166

Post#1159 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:55 pm

Neuromancer56 wrote:If any of the Bucks players came on to this forum they would be roasted for not knowing anything about basketball.

SEGABABA has to be the dumbest acronym in sports.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,424

Post#1160 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:15 pm

Yep. The year we won, Middleton went full Kawhi, which got us over the hump. And New Jersey, Atlanta and Phoenix really didn't have the personnel to build the wall properly.

I get the hand-wringing over Dame's lackluster performances at times. But we have to figure out how to get he and/or Middleton going if we want to win a title this year.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks