ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,209

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#121 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:22 pm

Was initially bummed by the short 6-episode final season of Jack Ryan, but impressed by the way they finished it out. Pretty much followed Clear and Present Danger's ending while giving him a nice full-circle character arc. Definitely bummed that it's over, but if the spin-off is any good I'll have to check it out.

Secret Invasion on the other hand......awful. Other than Andor, the Star Wars/Marvel series and movies of late have been an absolute trainwreck. This just can't be a sustainable model for them (rushed projects and scripts, bad visual effects), so hopefully they go back to the drawing board soon. Seems like nostalgia bait and "we're still way better than DC" are the only things they have going for them at this point.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,038

Post#122 » by emunney » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:34 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Gemstones had their annual "interlude" episode last week. Emma Shannon and J. Gaven Wilde are spot on playing teenage Judy and Jesse. Especially Wilde.

Wilde is really uncanny. Some lines it sounds like McBride is doing a VO.

This week's episode was wild as hell. This tweet summed it up for me.

Read on Twitter
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#123 » by M-C-G » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:45 pm

Watching True Blood for the first time since it came out, which has to be at least ten years. What a great show, but still can’t figure out why Bill Compton had such a hilariously horrible wig the first few seasons.

Also completely forgot about the Warlow character. For a 6000 year old vampire/fairy he sure ended up being easy to kill. Felt forced or rushed on the entire storyline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
emunney
RealGM

Post#124 » by emunney » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:55 pm

M-C-G wrote:Watching True Blood for the first time since it came out, which has to be at least ten years. What a great show, but still can’t figure out why Bill Compton had such a hilariously horrible wig the first few seasons.

Also completely forgot about the Warlow character. For a 6000 year old vampire/fairy he sure ended up being easy to kill. Felt forced or rushed on the entire storyline

Watched it a long time ago and I pose this question to anybody who's seen it:

Smartest dumb show or dumbest smart show?
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,729

Post#125 » by machu46 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Was initially bummed by the short 6-episode final season of Jack Ryan, but impressed by the way they finished it out. Pretty much followed Clear and Present Danger's ending while giving him a nice full-circle character arc. Definitely bummed that it's over, but if the spin-off is any good I'll have to check it out.

Secret Invasion on the other hand......awful. Other than Andor, the Star Wars/Marvel series and movies of late have been an absolute trainwreck. This just can't be a sustainable model for them (rushed projects and scripts, bad visual effects), so hopefully they go back to the drawing board soon. Seems like nostalgia bait and "we're still way better than DC" are the only things they have going for them at this point.

I’m kinda enjoying the plot of Secret Invasion, but I’ve been kinda shocked by how bad some of the actors, including Samuel L Jackson, have been. Some of it seems almost like he’s doing a parody of Samuel L Jackson. Really weird.

I’ll see how it finishes up, but it’s definitely not anywhere near the top of my MCU TV shows list but probably not near the bottom either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#126 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:13 pm

emunney wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Watching True Blood for the first time since it came out, which has to be at least ten years. What a great show, but still can’t figure out why Bill Compton had such a hilariously horrible wig the first few seasons.

True Blood falls firmly in the Jeopardy category of "critically acclaimed HBO shows that don't age well" IMO, so to answer your question.....yes.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#127 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:33 pm

Dead time before football and basketball, good opportunity to re-watch The Wire. One of the GOAT. The fact that it's now dated (pagers, pay phones, etc...) makes it even better IMO.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,362

Post#128 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:39 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Dead time before football and basketball, good opportunity to re-watch The Wire. One of the GOAT. The fact that it's now dated (pagers, pay phones, etc...) makes it even better IMO.

I've been doing a rewatch of Hannibal. Another GOAT.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,773

Post#129 » by chonestown » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:44 pm

emunney wrote:

SledgeHammer! is the smartest dumb show, so by de-fault it'll have be the second.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,050

Post#130 » by Ryan5UW » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:46 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Dead time before football and basketball, good opportunity to re-watch The Wire. One of the GOAT. The fact that it's now dated (pagers, pay phones, etc...) makes it even better IMO.

Ooh, good call. I just wrapped up Lincoln Lawyer over the weekend and needed something new.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#131 » by M-C-G » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:49 pm

chonestown wrote:
emunney wrote:

SledgeHammer! is the smartest dumb show, so by de-fault it'll have be the second.imo

Trailer Park Boys is the smartest dumb show by a….er..country kilometer?

Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#132 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:58 pm

Our recent HBO re-watch list has been Leftovers, The Wire, and currently Rome. All great shows that hold up fine despite some dated elements. I might give Boardwalk Empire another shot, but Season 1 was a slog (it's worth it for Michael Shannon though). I think some series hold up better than others. True Blood just feels like a show that could only be shocking and culturally relevant when it came out (vampires were huge in the late 2000's-early 2010's). Idk, maybe it was just never my thing.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#133 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:04 pm

If anyone is looking for a super deep cut sleeper old show on HBO check out The Life and Times of Tim. I think if that show came out a decade later people would have got it and it would have stayed on air.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#134 » by Siefer » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:54 pm

Anime Corner: Just watched Mob Psycho 100, and man, what a charming, weird, beautiful show.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,407

Post#135 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:48 pm

Smartest dumb show probably goes to Nathan For You, and I am likely TPB fan #1.

Not trying to be a pessimist, I am an optometrist.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
emunney
RealGM

Post#136 » by emunney » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:40 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:If anyone is looking for a super deep cut sleeper old show on HBO check out The Life and Times of Tim. I think if that show came out a decade later people would have got it and it would have stayed on air.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Ten Year Old Tom is the same show with a new skin, if you haven't seen it yet.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#137 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:00 am

emunney wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Gemstones had their annual "interlude" episode last week. Emma Shannon and J. Gaven Wilde are spot on playing teenage Judy and Jesse. Especially Wilde.

Wilde is really uncanny. Some lines it sounds like McBride is doing a VO.

This week's episode was wild as hell. This tweet summed it up for me.

Read on Twitter

The whole episode was wild but the last 5 minutes...lol
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Couch Potato
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#138 » by Couch Potato » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:30 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Our recent HBO re-watch list has been Leftovers, The Wire, and currently Rome. All great shows that hold up fine despite some dated elements. I might give Boardwalk Empire another shot, but Season 1 was a slog (it's worth it for Michael Shannon though). I think some series hold up better than others. True Blood just feels like a show that could only be shocking and culturally relevant when it came out (vampires were huge in the late 2000's-early 2010's). Idk, maybe it was just never my thing.
"The Strain" is excellent not quite vampires but blood suckers that leave little worms in the people they attack.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,816

Post#139 » by Ayt » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:30 am

Ryan5UW wrote:

Ooh, good call. I just wrapped up Lincoln Lawyer over the weekend and needed something new.

You haven't watched The Wire? Bro! It is so **** good.
Couch Potato
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#140 » by Couch Potato » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:32 am

Ayt wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:

You haven't watched The Wire? Bro! It is so **** good.

I never watched the Wire yet either.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks