Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,226

Re: PG San Antonio: Dame Time boats races Spurs 

Post#121 » by FrieAaron » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:39 am

BigO wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:One team ever won a title with a bottom 10 D. And that was a Lakers team that flipped an effort switch and lucked out by not facing an elite offense during that playoff run.

Well this definitely isn't true lol. And you might wanna look at what offenses the Nuggets faced just last playoffs. Yet I'm not picking anyone over them to come out of the West. Ultimately though, yes, the defense needs to get better. Thankfully it's trending in the right direction (12th over the last 20-games).

This is probably a naive question, but is defensive rating solely based on how many points you allow per game, as this link shows? I ask because in the playoffs the scores are always down

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense?LastNGames=15&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

But this next link shows defensive efficiency. So, for example on the points allowed link, Miami is 13th, but in the defensive efficiency link they are 18th.Milwaukee is 20th in both. I would think defensive efficiency is the more valuable tool. Thoughts?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/defensive-efficiency

I believe defensive rating and defensive efficiency are the same thing - the points you allow adjusted for pace (per 100 possessions rather than per game). The difference in the two links you provided is the first is for the last 15 games and doesn't account for the whole season. So we've been better, although at least part of that is due to strength of schedule. Our defensive rating over the last 3 would be 7th. Everything before that we're ranked 22nd, which includes the Pacers win.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 1,025

Post#122 » by MiltownMadness » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:54 am

mediocrityrules wrote:
El Pooch Grande wrote:5 game win streak…how we feeling bout Griff these days?

Still pretty much the same. We have an absolute garbage defense that's not going to get us anywhere in the postseason. It's comical that these bad teams can run up such high scores against us.

This is just where the league is going. 140-120 is the new 120-100 which was the new 100-80
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#123 » by nagawicka » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:00 am

Prez wrote:It's really easy to claim Griffin as a better playoff coach when he hasn't actually coached a single playoff game

So far, Grif is not batting less than 1.000 in the postseason.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#124 » by BigO » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
BigO wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Well this definitely isn't true lol. And you might wanna look at what offenses the Nuggets faced just last playoffs. Yet I'm not picking anyone over them to come out of the West. Ultimately though, yes, the defense needs to get better. Thankfully it's trending in the right direction (12th over the last 20-games).

This is probably a naive question, but is defensive rating solely based on how many points you allow per game, as this link shows? I ask because in the playoffs the scores are always down

But this next link shows defensive efficiency. So, for example on the points allowed link, Miami is 13th, but in the defensive efficiency link they are 18th.Milwaukee is 20th in both. I would think defensive efficiency is the more valuable tool. Thoughts?

I believe defensive rating and defensive efficiency are the same thing - the points you allow adjusted for pace (per 100 possessions rather than per game). The difference in the two links you provided is the first is for the last 15 games and doesn't account for the whole season. So we've been better, although at least part of that is due to strength of schedule. Our defensive rating over the last 3 would be 7th. Everything before that we're ranked 22nd, which includes the Pacers win.

Thanks for the response. I re-did it using the entire season and while it's similar, one has OKC third while the other has it sixth.

Probably not a big deal, just trying to understand it. I can certainly see a team giving up a lot of points because they are a bad rebounding team, yet their defensive efficiency (pts per possession ) might be very good.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense?dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,418

Post#125 » by MiltownHawkeye » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:24 pm

j_hilge444 wrote:
Dick Tate wrote:
BigO wrote:I like the negativity on this board, as long as there is some factual basis for the conclusion. I was tired of reading Eric Nehm's fanboy articles in The Athletic. I have no idea what Reddit is.

I don't either. Do they discuss 40 point games and triple doubles there?

Absolutely hilarious that you’re the first in this thread to mention those. Giannis set a career high in assists and not a peep here! Misery.

Bucks RealGM is for people who are actually watching games and discussing how to accomplish the end goal of winning a championship.

Bucks Reddit is for people who are more concerned with running positive PR for the team no matter what is happening on the court, and due to how Reddit operates you're not really allowed to go against that. There are surely people there watching games but you don't actually have to watch games there to fit in because all discussion is conveyed via box score stats and memes.

Dame putting up 40 and Giannis throwing 16 assists are both extremely impressive but what is there to talk about beyond "wow those are high numbers?" Sure on Reddit it feels nice to post about those things because every fanbase has a culture of being ultra-defensive and needing to make sure everyone knows how awesome their players/team are. Here's it's just preaching to the choir.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,202

Post#126 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:43 pm

BigO wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
BigO wrote:

Thanks for the response. I re-did it using the entire season and while it's similar, one has OKC third while the other has it sixth.

Probably not a big deal, just trying to understand it. I can certainly see a team giving up a lot of points because they are a bad rebounding team, yet their defensive efficiency (pts per possession ) might be very good.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense?dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

I think the differences are largely due to how each site tracks this stuff. I've sometimes seen a range of +/- 2.0 DRTG between BBallReference and NBA.com's numbers. Some metrics filter out garbage time (Cleaning the Glass for one, does).
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#127 » by Siefer » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:00 pm

Rebounding and transition D are the low-hanging fruit, and I think would go a long way towards making the defense feel solid. There's no excuse for this to not be a top 5 rebounding team, and all I'm asking for is not giving up those 2-3 "we didn't even try" layups a game in transition.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,828

Post#128 » by tedbrogen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:One team ever won a title with a bottom 10 D. And that was a Lakers team that flipped an effort switch and lucked out by not facing an elite offense during that playoff run.

I’d consider not facing a top five offense not facing an elite offense, but that’s just me. Would have been interesting to see them face one to see if they still steamrolled them but David Stern didn’t want that.

Did any team benefit from Stern more than those Lakers? Easy run the first year, the Blazers series, and the Kings series. Got a shady gift every year.
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 126

Post#129 » by j_hilge444 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:01 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
j_hilge444 wrote:
Dick Tate wrote:I don't either. Do they discuss 40 point games and triple doubles there?

Absolutely hilarious that you’re the first in this thread to mention those. Giannis set a career high in assists and not a peep here! Misery.

Bucks RealGM is for people who are actually watching games and discussing how to accomplish the end goal of winning a championship.

Bucks Reddit is for people who are more concerned with running positive PR for the team no matter what is happening on the court, and due to how Reddit operates you're not really allowed to go against that. There are surely people there watching games but you don't actually have to watch games there to fit in because all discussion is conveyed via box score stats and memes.

Dame putting up 40 and Giannis throwing 16 assists are both extremely impressive but what is there to talk about beyond "wow those are high numbers?" Sure on Reddit it feels nice to post about those things because every fanbase has a culture of being ultra-defensive and needing to make sure everyone knows how awesome their players/team are. Here's it's just preaching to the choir.

Yeah, ok. Thank you for your service.
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks