PG Rockets - Too Little, Too Late

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Re: PG Rockets - Too Little, Too Late 

Post#121 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:57 pm

From The Athletic:

“For Antetokounmpo, though, the Bucks' failings on defense are not only about the effort of the players on the floor though.
If the Bucks are going to improve on defense, it will require better tactics from Griffin as well.

"Now, defensively, we have to have a plan," Antetokounmpo said. "What is our strategy? Are we going to give a lot of open 3s? Are we going to let them get in the paint? When they go in the post, are we going to stay with ours and play one-on-one? What is our strategy? Right now, we are giving everything. We are giving everything. We are giving the 3s. We are giving straight line drives. We are letting guys play in the post and get comfortable.
We're giving offensive rebounds.”
#FreeChuckDiesel
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#122 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:00 pm

Good morning everyone, it’s a perfect day to fire Griff.
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,402

Post#123 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:03 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:From The Athletic:

“For Antetokounmpo, though, the Bucks' failings on defense are not only about the effort of the players on the floor though.
If the Bucks are going to improve on defense, it will require better tactics from Griffin as well.

"Now, defensively, we have to have a plan," Antetokounmpo said. "What is our strategy? Are we going to give a lot of open 3s? Are we going to let them get in the paint? When they go in the post, are we going to stay with ours and play one-on-one? What is our strategy? Right now, we are giving everything. We are giving everything. We are giving the 3s. We are giving straight line drives. We are letting guys play in the post and get comfortable.

Don’t recall Giannis publicly saying we have no strategy under Bud.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#124 » by yannisk » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:06 pm

ouch! Giannis is clearly questioning Grief . He does not say that we have a bad defensive strategy, which would be bad enough, he is saying we don't have a strategy at all and the players don't have a clue what to do

did he say anything about the equipment guy after that?
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,418

Post#125 » by MiltownHawkeye » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:07 pm

I think the noise around firing Griffin will be too loud to ignore if we lose to the Jazz tomorrow.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#126 » by yannisk » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:12 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:I think the noise around firing Griffin will be too loud to ignore if we lose to the Jazz tomorrow.

then I will pray as a mormon tomorrow
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#127 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:17 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:I think the noise around firing Griffin will be too loud to ignore if we lose to the Jazz tomorrow.

Jazz have a bunch of athletic chuckers and are playing well of late. 7-3 in their last ten. Could happen

Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,261

Post#128 » by Sigra » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:19 pm

If Lakers fire Ham we should hire him next day. He knows what Bud did.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#129 » by aboveAverage » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:21 pm

My first reaction was that we are never going to win anything with Dame playing this badly.

However, I think a hot shooting night from Dame and a win here would have continued to mask the problems we have on defense. These problems stem from Griffin. Dame’s struggles likely also are a cause of Griffin having no idea how to properly integrate him into our offense. Griffin needs to go. We’re wasting a year of super prime Giannis.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#130 » by crowhead76 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:32 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,195

Post#131 » by Ron Swanson » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:36 pm

Regardless of the outcome of the Utah game tomorrow, I don't think it matters. If we get blown out at home vs. Boston though? It might actually happen. Or at least I think it becomes a legit possibility as a desperation move to salvage the season. If your superstar all but publicly calling out your defensive scheme doesn't force you to drastically change things up, then you don't have the basic level of competency to be a head coach in this league. Get him out of here.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,219

Post#132 » by BigO » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:38 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

Well Bud certainly had a strategy. But to be fair, no one felt comfortable questioning or even speaking with Bud, including his coaches. There was little interaction ever during timeouts between Bud and his coaches and Bud and his players. Bud knew what he wanted and it rarely changed.

The Bucks had a lot of embarrassing exits from the playoffs and no one would question Bud. It's why none of them criticized the Bud firing.

Having said that, the choices never should have been been Bud or Griffin. Most coaches are fired well after expiration date. Bud included.

We had a choice of Nurse, a guy who shows flexibility in his coaching depending on who the opponent is, and we blew it.
MARK_POPE
Senior
And1: 1,977

Post#133 » by MARK_POPE » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:38 pm

We don't need another loss our excuse to fire this bum we've all gathered enough evidence the past few months, starting with the Stotts departure.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,032

Post#134 » by sidney lanier » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:45 pm

MARK_POPE wrote:We don't need another loss our excuse to fire this bum we've all gathered enough evidence the past few months, starting with the Stotts departure.

Wow. If that's evidence, I hope I'm never tried for a crime by a jury of my RealGM peers.

Incidentally, if you read Nehm's piece in the Athletic, the scheme stuff is not the emphasis. It's the pride and effort stuff. The headline is "Giannis Antetokounmpo blasts Bucks’ defense after loss to Rockets: ‘There was no pride’."

“Pride. Pride. Pride. Pride. We gotta take it personal,” Antetokounmpo said, when asked how the Bucks can get better defensively this season. “Like, we have to take it personal. Whoever wants to play hard, plays hard. Whoever doesn’t want to play hard, it’s gotta be a decision that’s gotta be made. Even myself, too. If I don’t play hard, sit me out, sit me on the bench. There’s times I’m tired and I don’t play as hard as I can, and there’s times even when I give everything I have. But we have to have a mentality of whenever we step on the floor, we have to get stops.

“That’s how we’re going to win. We’re not going to win by getting a rhythm offensively. Obviously, they were a tough team because they switch everything and you have to play one-on-one in order for you to break down their defense. But we cannot rely on that. We have to rely on getting stops. Guys have to play with more effort, including me. It starts with me always. Always… Including me. I have to be able, every time we step on the floor, to figure out the ways to get stops. Play harder. That’s it.”
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#135 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:50 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
Incidentally, if you read Nehm's piece in the Athletic, the scheme stuff is not the emphasis. It's the pride and effort stuff. The headline is "Giannis Antetokounmpo blasts Bucks’ defense after loss to Rockets: ‘There was no pride’."

Sid, I’ll excuse the young kids on Twitter for not recognizing a locker room that is falling apart, due to a frustration over the coach. But you’ve been around long enough to know better. We’re going through the 12 stages of grief (pun intended) on the way to a coach getting swept out.

The only stage that we may sidestep here is the public “vote of confidence” from Horst.

randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,434

Post#136 » by randy84 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:02 pm

Bud's philosophy - play random on offense.
Grief's philosophy - play random on defense.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,162

Post#137 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:04 pm

randy84 wrote:

Bud's philosophy - play random on offense.
Grief's philosophy - play random on defense AND offense.

fixed.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#138 » by MVP2110 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:04 pm

Yea, even if we claim it's effort and not scheme, why do we think the guys on this team aren't trying hard for Griff? That's also on him
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,219

Post#139 » by BigO » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:05 pm

MARK_POPE wrote:We don't need another loss our excuse to fire this bum we've all gathered enough evidence the past few months, starting with the Stotts departure.

I'm not disagreeing with your post, but if this thing gets worse, I advise not calling Griffin a bum or any other names.

He seems like a good guy who is over his head. He is much more open to interaction with his coaches and players than Bud, but doesn't know what buttons to push. If Griffin was a prima donna, I'd feel differently.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,055

Post#140 » by Daver » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

Maybe not but i remember tucker n holiday both telling bud to get his head out of his ass on D n brook being pretty pissed about his role on O bud had alot of warts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks