ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Bucks deny Pistons to talk to Horst

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,700

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas 

Post#1241 » by LuessiT » Sun May 12, 2024 1:58 pm

Grimes is not worth that. He was just traded for a pretty good second and sucked in Detroit. Unless we have Pat at negative value we should stay away.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#1242 » by jute2003 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:12 pm

I don't think it's impossible to build a championship team around Giannis but he's much more flawed as a player than this board wants to admit. I also think the 7ft Westbrook thing is uncomfortably close to accurate.

If he wins another championship, it'll be because he takes a step back from the creator role and focuses on defense/rebounding again. Same impact, just different.

That depends on having players or scheme that will take on more creation role. Healthy Dame and Middleton can be those guys with strong role players filling out the roster but health is such a major concern. It's hard for me to be comfortable relying on those 3 to actually all play when it matters.

Regardless, the new shooting coach needs to kick 34 in the nuts every time he takes 6 and a half minutes to shoot a goddamm free throw.
only a fan, only an opinion
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,372

Post#1243 » by paulpressey25 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 pm

If only Herb Kohl were still with us. We could hoist the “Best 3 Man statistical lineup” banner at Fiserv.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#1244 » by fansinceforever » Sun May 12, 2024 2:19 pm

Yeah except that Giannis isn't remarkably inefficient and turnover prone in the RS and especially in the playoffs like Russell Westbrook is. They're not the same at all.

Giannis is a lot more versatile and trust worthy when it matters than a lot of you are giving him credit for.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,804

Post#1245 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun May 12, 2024 2:53 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:If only Herb Kohl were still with us. We could hoist the “Best 3 Man statistical lineup” banner at Fiserv.

It really kills you that the best 5 man lineup in the league included Khris Middleton. If we're trying to build the best team, then the best closing lineup is pretty relevant. Also impressive that the 3 stars are playoff risers.

Unreal that we return the top 4 players from this lineup, and have a great chance to massively upgrade the 5th spot.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#1246 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun May 12, 2024 3:11 pm

German Athens wrote:If Detroit really wants veterans, do you think they’d do Pat + 33 for Grimes and Metu?

Yes, I think they would. No need to include Metu, Detroit has a trade exception.

Then call Houston. They want to trade their 1st for a future pick. They're not getting much interest. Our offer? Grimes and our 2031 1st for Eason and their 2024 1st.

Next go shopping for that significant combo guard we need, with Bobby, #9, and #23 as the assets. Sexton, Murray, Coby White...
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Post#1247 » by RRyder823 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:20 pm

jute2003 wrote:I don't think it's impossible to build a championship team around Giannis but he's much more flawed as a player than this board wants to admit. I also think the 7ft Westbrook thing is uncomfortably close to accurate.

If he wins another championship, it'll be because he takes a step back from the creator role and focuses on defense/rebounding again. Same impact, just different.

That depends on having players or scheme that will take on more creation role. Healthy Dame and Middleton can be those guys with strong role players filling out the roster but health is such a major concern. It's hard for me to be comfortable relying on those 3 to actually all play when it matters.

Regardless, the new shooting coach needs to kick 34 in the nuts every time he takes 6 and a half minutes to shoot a goddamm free throw.

The fact people even feel a need to lead off a post with that statement is just asinine. (Been a few other posters too it's not just you)

Like wow. It's summer time. Think it's time to go outside

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
fansinceforever
Analyst

Post#1248 » by fansinceforever » Sun May 12, 2024 3:20 pm

There's a lot of inflating of our own assets and deflating of opposing team's assets going on here recently.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,166

Post#1249 » by Ron Swanson » Sun May 12, 2024 4:28 pm

fansinceforever wrote:There's a lot of inflating of our own assets and deflating of opposing team's assets going on here recently.

I see the complete opposite of this happening.
yb90
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#1250 » by yb90 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
fansinceforever wrote:There's a lot of inflating of our own assets and deflating of opposing team's assets going on here recently.

Agreed.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#1251 » by ReddRum » Sun May 12, 2024 4:37 pm

Although it may not be a popular idea this could probably have its own thread as it would be fun to at least imagine:

https://fadeawayworld.net/every-nbas-team-best-package-for-giannis-antetokounmpo
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#1252 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun May 12, 2024 4:50 pm

ReddRum wrote:Although it may not be a popular idea this could probably have its own thread as it would be fun to at least imagine:

https://fadeawayworld.net/every-nbas-team-best-package-for-giannis-antetokounmpo

There's nothing fun about any of these offers. Click bait BS. There's not a single offer that's close.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,129

Post#1253 » by Matches Malone » Sun May 12, 2024 5:02 pm

Anytime I see this loser, he's always clowning the championship he didn't deserve being a part of lol.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
yb90
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#1254 » by yb90 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:22 pm

I have seen Tari Eason, Jaylin Williams, Wendell Carter Jr, and Isaiah Stewart names floated as wanted targets for the Bucks but was curious as to how they ranked as players and what it would take to get them. Would you rank any of them over Portis given their youth and defensive ability?
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,762

Post#1255 » by chonestown » Sun May 12, 2024 5:34 pm

fansinceforever wrote:Yeah except that Giannis isn't remarkably inefficient and turnover prone in the RS and especially in the playoffs like Russell Westbrook is. They're not the same at all.

Giannis is a lot more versatile and trust worthy when it matters than a lot of you are giving him credit for.

The most prominent thing Russ and Giannis have in common is they absolutely play their ass off.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,372

Post#1256 » by paulpressey25 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:47 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
It really kills you that the best 5 man lineup.

This can be our theme album to go along with the Fiserv banner.

I mean, I get it. It’s possible we could figure out how to add Caruso and an athletic big-man, retain perfect health, and have Doc bring it all together. But at the moment, I’m not seeing it. Will change my belief, if Horst pulls off a Christmas in July trade miracle, while keeping our big three intact. Or we hit on the first round pick with a guy who makes a rookie impact like Spider Mitchell did.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
fansinceforever
Analyst

Post#1257 » by fansinceforever » Sun May 12, 2024 5:48 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

We'll know by the end of the summer. I doubt the org looks to trade any of the big 3 so if we're able to, essentially, overhaul our roster with better players by trading Brook, Bobby and Pat I'll gladly eat crow. Not expecting to do that though.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,700

Post#1258 » by LuessiT » Sun May 12, 2024 5:49 pm

yb90 wrote:I have seen Tari Eason, Jaylin Williams, Wendell Carter Jr, and Isaiah Stewart names floated as wanted targets for the Bucks but was curious as to how they ranked as players and what it would take to get them. Would you rank any of them over Portis given their youth and defensive ability?

Just from overall ability alone, Portis outranks every single one of them. But some of them may be better fits as starters next to Giannis.

WCJ is a jack of all trades, master of none kind of player. He’s a 4-5-tweener. Not good enough of a shot blocker to be a full time 5, not enough perimeter skills to be a full time 4, but just enough to be a solid backup at either position right now. Lots of injuries. Signed to a long term MLE level contract.

Isaiah Stewart is a very strong and athletic, but quite small for a center. Good shot blocking ability, but low reach for his position limits his upside. He moves his feet really well and has soft touch. Over his last two seasons he added a 3 pointer to his game. Last season he played a lot of PF. Personality is like Portis on steroids, which can be a bit much at times. Some off court issues. Signed to a long term slightly above MLE contract.

Haven’t seen the other two enough to have an opinion.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 819

Post#1259 » by Packbuckman » Sun May 12, 2024 6:09 pm

mattg wrote:The harsh truth that the vast majority of this board can't seem to come to grips with is that Giannis is nearly impossible to build around. That's the issue this team has.

Despite his gaudy box score numbers all the way around, there are some major red flags that most posters here routinely look past and wave away.

People talk about Giannis being a DPOY...but he doesn't actually anchor elite defenses unless he has a DPOY caliber Lopez playing center next to him. He doesn't sniff top 10 defenses without a top 2 ball screen navigating PG (Jrue or Bledsoe). We also needed plus defense from Tucker and Middleton alongside those guys to barely win a title. Without all of that, and a great coach scheming it all together, we just suck defensively. So on defense alone, the roster construction is nearly impossible to do...especially since Giannis is never going to play center in any universe (despite posters here acting like that's the magic bullet for the last 8 seasons).

Then offensively it's a whole other mess. Giannis puts up absurd raw numbers...but it doesn't translate to good offense in the playoffs whatsoever. He just proved that he is completely incapable of playing alongside a ball screen guard or any other player who operates with the ball (which in theory should be his best pairing) because Giannis literally just stands 28 feet from the hoop and calls for the ball when he doesn't have it in his hands which handicaps every other player's ability to do anything since the paint is constantly clogged. No screening, no off ball cutting, no intangibles offensively. He just wants to ISO and attack off the dribble which has led to the same type of result for years, sub par offense in the playoffs, Giannis flat out isn't good enough on offense to approach the game in that manner in the post season. There's also the issue that his approach is ridiculously predictable, and it's what has led to him getting hurt numerous times. Everyone and their mom knows defenders are going to try and take charges non stop vs Giannis. We can sit here and debate if those are dirty plays or whatever, but the fact is that defense works on him. Giannis will continually drive headfirst blinders on, 100mph into multiple defenders, picking up stupid charges, turning the ball over, and getting hurt from repeatedly barreling into guys. Until he changes his approach IMO we are done as contenders completely, regardless of any roster moves that are made. Even when Giannis is "cooking", his decision making is wayyyy too inconsistent to compete with current top teams who execute at a level clearly beyond anything this team has ever played at, even when they won the title in 2021.

On top of all of that, IMO you need a coach who puts the guard rails up for Giannis like Bud did. As dumb aswe thought Bud was putting tape boxes on the floor and being totally inflexible in approach, it's clear as day that he HAD to do that. Otherwise you'd see the type of team we had this year. You need to have the strictest macro shot profile for the team otherwise the awful basketball IQ and decision making the players have will just cause us to lose early consistently. No Giannis team is ever going to out execute any other actually quality team, so you need to win on the margins and the easiest way to do that is just to out math teams by having a better shot profile as a whole.

And to anyone who disagrees with this premise, construct a title winning roster around Giannis right now. No restrictions. Just build the roster that wins a title based around Giannis in today's league and we can revisit this conversation. I'd be absolutely shocked if we had the capability to acquire even 1 single starter that someone will propose in this "ideal" Giannis lineup.

Wow I don’t think I have ever read more exaggerated bull in my life about Giannis. How about a defensive SG next to dame like Ajax next yr or players that can make open shots when Giannis is doubled and tripled teamed. Starting Beasley next to Dame last year and not developing your young players had to be the dumbest things I ever saw in coaching a team. But here you are blaming it all on Giannis :lol:
WeMajor34
Ballboy
And1: 41

Post#1260 » by WeMajor34 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:20 pm

Per Marc Stein:

The Bucks this week declined to grant permission to the Pistons to interview Michigan native Jon Horst in Detroit's search for a new president of basketball operations, league sources say.

It is believed that Horst, who won Executive of the Year honors in Milwaukee in 2018-19 and more recently made the trade that brought Damian Lillard to the Bucks in September, was indeed interested in speaking to the Pistons. Horst signed a multiyear contract extension with the Bucks in October 2021 with two years left on his deal at the time.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks