ImageImage

PG Rockets - Too Little, Too Late

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,055

Re: PG Rockets - Too Little, Too Late 

Post#141 » by Daver » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:09 pm

Sigra wrote:If Lakers fire Ham we should hire him next day. He knows what Bud did.

Fu.. no on ham wtf the love fest for him is why cause he was one of buds assts.absolutely no way do i want ham
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,647

Post#142 » by raferfenix » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:10 pm

Giannis isn’t the kind of guy to take this to the press lightly or without first raising things internally.

Yes player effort is being called out but the headline absolutely is Grief.

If Giannis is already this pissed to make it public it’s gotta be thin ice before asking Horst for a change.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,323

Post#143 » by fan230 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:11 pm

Ag is not a good coach. He is either obstinately or because he has no clue what else to do, using the same defensive scheme that allows every team to score at will.

We can’t get Bud back because we fired him without any empathy for his family situation.

Either Horst should talk to ag to change the defensive scheme, or ag should be let go. Giannis is at the peak of his prime and wasting this time would be almost a crime.

Dame unfortunately seems unhappy playing with the Bucks. Not sure why. Maybe his family matters in which case the Bucks should show empathy which they didn’t have with Bud.

More than that, there are a few other factors. First, Offensively he either tries Long three pointers or tries to get a foul called on him while getting closer to the hoop. The foul calls are happening, less and less. On defense Dame is a sieve. Dame is getting frustrated.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,781

Post#144 » by JayMKE » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:15 pm

Sounds like Giannis is starting to realize as we all are that at least under Budenholzer the team had an identity shutting down the paint and rebounding the ball. The issues under Bud seem way more salvageable and match up dependent than the mess we're experiencing now for sure, feel like the defense and Lillard would look better with Bud. Griff isn't even really developing the young guys, there's nothing to hang our hat on other than the inflated record and the greatness of Giannis & sometimes 4th quarter Dame.

is bringing Bud back that crazy if Giannis & the team would go for it? IDK who else could come in mid season and expect to have success.
FREE GIANNIS
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,055

Post#145 » by Daver » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:18 pm

Dame unfortunately seems unhappy playing with the Bucks.

This im sure hes unhappy with how hes being used 100% but i dont think hes unhappy in milwaukee.His pending divorce n not seeing his kids im sure is weighing big time on him.
I think dane is extremely frustrated by A how hes playing n 2. His role or lack their of in the O.
Dont for a 2nd think any other average coach would have a problem implementing dame in the O with another top 25 player
MARK_POPE
Senior
And1: 1,977

Post#146 » by MARK_POPE » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:18 pm

BigO wrote:
MARK_POPE wrote:We don't need another loss our excuse to fire this bum we've all gathered enough evidence the past few months, starting with the Stotts departure.

I'm not disagreeing with your post, but if this thing gets worse, I advise not calling Griffin a bum or any other names.

He seems like a good guy who is over his head. He is much more open to interaction with his coaches and players than Bud, but doesn't know what buttons to push. If Griffin was a prima donna, I'd feel differently.

I'm not saying a bum as in attacking his character because he does seem to be a very collaborative coach but that only works if you're the ultimate knowledge source and he doesn't seem to be. If he were so open to interaction then why did Stotts leave so fast- you'd think both would have seen it as an opportunity that was mutually beneficial rather than unworkable. We truly need more information on what went down there before a true final judgement is made and only our FO and players know that.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,402

Post#147 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:18 pm

JayMKE wrote:Sounds like Giannis is starting to realize as we all are that at least under Budenholzer the team had an identity shutting down the paint and rebounding the ball. The issues under Bud seem way more salvageable and match up dependent than the mess we're experiencing now for sure, feel like the defense and Lillard look better. Griff isn't even really developing the young guys, there's nothing to hang our hat on other than the inflated record and the greatness of Giannis & sometimes 4th quarter Dame.

is bringing Bud back that crazy if Giannis & the team would go for it? IDK who else could come in mid season and expect to have success.

Dame going nuclear in the fourth quarter of regular season games to bail us out was never a sustainable strategy.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,627

Post#148 » by PG Graveyard » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:19 pm

Giannis has been great but the defensive issues are predominantly the fault of the guy he wanted to play with so bad. We should have traded Jrue but we should have tried to get younger with that trade or left it alone. Dame has made this team worse.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#149 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:20 pm

BigO wrote: He is much more open to interaction with his coaches and players than Bud, but doesn't know what buttons to push. If Griffin was a prima donna, I'd feel differently.

To Mark Pope’s point, how many top assistants did Bud can? They usually went on to head coaching jobs.

Griff dumped Stotts in training camp. During a time when Stotts was working with Giannis and Dame on things.

fan230
Analyst

Post#150 » by fan230 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:25 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Sounds like Giannis is starting to realize as we all are that at least under Budenholzer the team had an identity shutting down the paint and rebounding the ball. The issues under Bud seem way more salvageable and match up dependent than the mess we're experiencing now for sure, feel like the defense and Lillard look better. Griff isn't even really developing the young guys, there's nothing to hang our hat on other than the inflated record and the greatness of Giannis & sometimes 4th quarter Dame.

Dame going nuclear in the fourth quarter of regular season games to bail us out was never a sustainable strategy.

I agree about the last paragraph. I always was skeptical of this childlike Dame Time excitement.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,418

Post#151 » by MiltownHawkeye » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:25 pm

I'd rather wait til we don't have a bottom 3 coach to pass judgments on Dame tbh. He's been bad but we have like 2-3 guys max who are actually playing as well as we're used to. I'm never going to think trading for Dame was a mistake because it wasn't, firing Bud AND hiring a dud was the mistake.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
fan230
Analyst

Post#152 » by fan230 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:28 pm

JayMKE wrote:Sounds like Giannis is starting to realize as we all are that at least under Budenholzer the team had an identity shutting down the paint and rebounding the ball. The issues under Bud seem way more salvageable and match up dependent than the mess we're experiencing now for sure, feel like the defense and Lillard would look better with Bud. Griff isn't even really developing the young guys, there's nothing to hang our hat on other than the inflated record and the greatness of Giannis & sometimes 4th quarter Dame.

I agree that it is the best option as mentioned in the last paragraph. But would Horst have the courage to be humble enough to accept his mistake, and would Bud forgive the Bucks forgive the Bucks for showing him no empathy when his brother passed away? These are the unfortunate obstacles.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 699

Post#153 » by ejn1214 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:30 pm

A Blazers fan could shed more light, but I remember Dame having cold stretches that would last awhile in previous years. I'm not sure if he gets banged up, disinterested or whatever. Maybe this is something worse, but there are some huge overreactions here. I really like that he should shoot less 3s like Giannis. That gave me a good laugh.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,032

Post#154 » by sidney lanier » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:40 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:
Incidentally, if you read Nehm's piece in the Athletic, the scheme stuff is not the emphasis. It's the pride and effort stuff. The headline is "Giannis Antetokounmpo blasts Bucks’ defense after loss to Rockets: ‘There was no pride’."

Sid, I’ll excuse the young kids on Twitter for not recognizing a locker room that is falling apart, due to a frustration over the coach. But you’ve been around long enough to know better. We’re going through the 12 stages of grief (pun intended) on the way to a coach getting swept out.

The only stage that we may sidestep here is the public “vote of confidence” from Horst.

Funny how the abrupt Stotts departure has turned into Exhibit A for the prosecution. You remember, as I do, that Stotts himself was hauled before the star chamber for crimes against humanity and Andrew Bogut, and the same short-circuiting of normal rules of evidence applied then as it does now -- the same assumptions about locker room dissension, the same false accusations about his judgment, the same just plain meanspiritedness that had Epicurus calling us all smatchets.

And while I generally supported Epi in his defense of Stotts, I have to say Terry's petulant silence this fall and his failure to at least toss an obligatory "wish him well," the way Griffin did to him, showed a character flaw.

Then as now, there is plenty of player frustration. Whether it hits the boiling point is far from a foregone conclusion. Griffin is no martinet, and he seems to be open to player input -- two things likely to keep him around at least through the season.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,219

Post#155 » by BigO » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
BigO wrote: He is much more open to interaction with his coaches and players than Bud, but doesn't know what buttons to push. If Griffin was a prima donna, I'd feel differently.

To Mark Pope’s point, how many top assistants did Bud can? They usually went on to head coaching jobs.

Griff dumped Stotts in training camp. During a time when Stotts was working with Giannis and Dame on things.

It appears you have more details on what went on between Griffin and Stotts than I do. Without the details/facts, I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that Griffin was in the wrong. He may have been, but facts do matter, or at least, they should.

As to how many assistants Bud canned, I'm not sure what the point is. Bud didn't have a veteran coach as his assistant and as I said before, I was at many Bucks games and the interaction between Bud and his assistants, during time outs and during the game, was almost non-existent.

But if your point is that Bud is a better coach than Griffin, well ya, ok, we certainly agree on that.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,647

Post#156 » by raferfenix » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:45 pm

Griffin is so open to input that Giannis felt a need to bring this to the media.

And it’s not because the equipment manager didn’t clean his dirty drawers hard enough.
kanyon
Junior
And1: 232

Post#157 » by kanyon » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:45 pm

crowhead76 wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Promote him to HC. Worked in Ted Lasso.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#158 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:46 pm

sidney lanier wrote:Funny how the abrupt Stotts departure has turned into Exhibit A for the prosecution. You remember, as I do, that Stotts himself was hauled before the star chamber for crimes against humanity and Andrew Bogut, and the same short-circuiting of normal rules of evidence applied then as it does now -- the same assumptions about locker room dissension, the same false accusations about his judgment, the same just plain meanspiritedness that had Epicurus calling us all smatchets..

Yes, Stotts tenure here was turbulent.

That's why the hiring of Bud was so monumental. We actually had a coach who could come in and turn the program around on a dime. Everything was organized, players knew roles, and even average to below average players like Bobby and Pat thrived. It proved that having a top 5-10 coach was critical to an organization. Problem is, Giannis never got that memo.

msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Post#159 » by msiris » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:47 pm

ejn1214 wrote:A Blazers fan could shed more light, but I remember Dame having cold stretches that would last awhile in previous years. I'm not sure if he gets banged up, disinterested or whatever. Maybe this is something worse, but there are some huge overreactions here. I really like that he should shoot less 3s like Giannis. That gave me a good laugh.
He should shoot less 3s and go to the hoop more to become more efficient. Thats what teams are doing to us. He isnt a good 3 pt shooter so he is not taken advantage of his strengths. Right now he is a chucker. Just like Brook is a chucker since we don't use him down low enough
Ride the tank
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#160 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:49 pm

BigO wrote:
But if your point is that Bud is a better coach than Griffin, well ya, ok, we certainly agree on that.

This was always a major risk in pushing Bud out the door. The odds of hiring a better coach were small.

And I understand our current predicament is due to the fact Giannis wanted a new voice. He's more important than the coach, wouldn't ever question that premise.

But at the end of the day, we still pushed a top coach out, and now we reap the easily predicted mess. Just hoping Edens can fix it quickly. Feels like Giannis gave the public go ahead last night in his postgame comments.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks