PG Rockets - Too Little, Too Late

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

kanyon
Junior
And1: 232

Re: PG Rockets - Too Little, Too Late 

Post#161 » by kanyon » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:52 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:Funny how the abrupt Stotts departure has turned into Exhibit A for the prosecution. You remember, as I do, that Stotts himself was hauled before the star chamber for crimes against humanity and Andrew Bogut, and the same short-circuiting of normal rules of evidence applied then as it does now -- the same assumptions about locker room dissension, the same false accusations about his judgment, the same just plain meanspiritedness that had Epicurus calling us all smatchets..

Yes, Stotts tenure here was turbulent.

That's why the hiring of Bud was so monumental. We actually had a coach who could come in and turn the program around on a dime. Everything was organized, players knew roles, and even average to below average players like Bobby and Pat thrived. It proved that having a top 5-10 coach was critical to an organization. Problem is, Giannis never got that memo.

I didn't realize Kenny Atkinson was also a Bud Assistant in Atlanta. They're everywhere.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,434

Post#162 » by randy84 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:52 pm

I wish I knew how to screenshot youtube videos but take a look at 7:52 on this video.

Grief has everyone out on the perimeter, including Lopez who is guarding Jalen Green, a shooting guard. Do you feel this is putting Lopez in the best position to defend? Do you feel that this is a good scheme?

Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,055

Post#163 » by Daver » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:54 pm

fan230 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Sounds like Giannis is starting to realize as we all are that at least under Budenholzer the team had an identity shutting down the paint and rebounding the ball. The issues under Bud seem way more salvageable and match up dependent than the mess we're experiencing now for sure, feel like the defense and Lillard would look better with Bud. Griff isn't even really developing the young guys, there's nothing to hang our hat on other than the inflated record and the greatness of Giannis & sometimes 4th quarter Dame.

is bringing Bud back that crazy if Giannis & the team would go for it? IDK who else could come in mid season and expect to have success.

I agree that it is the best option as mentioned in the last paragraph. But would Horst have the courage to be humble enough to accept his mistake, and would Bud forgive the Bucks forgive the Bucks for showing him no empathy when his brother passed away? These are the unfortunate obstacles.

FFS dude stop bringing up buds brother dying n the bucks showing no empathy.This is a business .Fu... bud was on the verge of getting fired in 21 when gis brother was still alive.Brother passing or not you dont hang onto a coach cause you ferl bad for him.His time was done wasnt just the absolute curb stomping of miami was alot of other things maybe like blowing 2 other chances to get to the finals
kanyon
Junior

Post#164 » by kanyon » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:56 pm

randy84 wrote:I wish I knew how to screenshot youtube videos but take a look at 7:52 on this video.

Grief has everyone out on the perimeter, including Lopez who is guarding Jalen Green, a shooting guard. Do you feel this is putting Lopez in the best position to defend? Do you feel that this is a good scheme.

If you're using a PC (I dunno if macs have them) there is a "Print Screen"/"PrtSc" button on the keyboard. You can then paste that into a img editor/paint. Mine even lets me select just what part of the screen i want and saves it automatically but I don't know what yours has.
kanyon
Junior

Post#165 » by kanyon » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:58 pm

Daver wrote:
fan230 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Sounds like Giannis is starting to realize as we all are that at least under Budenholzer the team had an identity shutting down the paint and rebounding the ball. The issues under Bud seem way more salvageable and match up dependent than the mess we're experiencing now for sure, feel like the defense and Lillard would look better with Bud. Griff isn't even really developing the young guys, there's nothing to hang our hat on other than the inflated record and the greatness of Giannis & sometimes 4th quarter Dame.

is bringing Bud back that crazy if Giannis & the team would go for it? IDK who else could come in mid season and expect to have success.

I agree that it is the best option as mentioned in the last paragraph. But would Horst have the courage to be humble enough to accept his mistake, and would Bud forgive the Bucks forgive the Bucks for showing him no empathy when his brother passed away? These are the unfortunate obstacles.

FFS dude stop bringing up buds brother dying n the bucks showing no empathy.This is a business .Fu... bud was on the verge of getting fired in 21 when gis brother was still alive.Brother passing or not you dont hang onto a coach cause you ferl bad for him.His time was done wasnt just the absolute curb stomping of miami was alot of other things maybe like blowing 2 other chances to get to the finals

Bud probably should have taken the week off or something. It was a super difficult choice under a lot of duress and stress. There really was no good answer. It's not like he's playing where he can take out his pain on the other team, for the coach its all mental.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,219

Post#166 » by BigO » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:59 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:I'd rather wait til we don't have a bottom 3 coach to pass judgments on Dame tbh. He's been bad but we have like 2-3 guys max who are actually playing as well as we're used to. I'm never going to think trading for Dame was a mistake because it wasn't, firing Bud AND hiring a dud was the mistake.

Firing Bud was the right move and I don't think the vets want Bud back at all. I think it is one of the reasons he was fired. His playoff strategies, schemes, adjustments, player minutes were predictable and bad (I intentionally will not go over the details-it's water over the dam) and there were better options available.

Nurse was there for the taking. He is a little like Bud in that I don't think he listens to a lot of assistants (including Griffin). He knows what he wants and implements it. Where he differs from Bud, is that he is multi scheme and changes up things based on his own talent and the opponent's talent.

We made the wrong choice. It happens.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,627

Post#167 » by PG Graveyard » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:02 pm

If you are looking to rip Griff for something. He has allowed the team to get flanked by small ball lineups the past 2 4th quarters by leaving Brook in there while the other team went small for a few minutes. That’s Bud stuff that he used to do and is an unforced error. That’s also why Brook got caught in a switch with Jalen Green in that video and also why Jeff Green cooked us as always.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,647

Post#168 » by raferfenix » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:03 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Feels like Giannis gave the public go ahead last night in his postgame comments.

Bingo.

And one month before the deadline.

Coach should go first before we make a final call on trades.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,162

Post#169 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:11 pm

Whatever happened to that come-to-Jesus meeting the leaders of the team had with Griff earlier in the year about our defense? AG always talks about listening to his players and it seemed to work for a few games but then we went back to doing what AG wants to do.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,418

Post#170 » by MiltownHawkeye » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:14 pm

BigO wrote:
MiltownHawkeye wrote:I'd rather wait til we don't have a bottom 3 coach to pass judgments on Dame tbh. He's been bad but we have like 2-3 guys max who are actually playing as well as we're used to. I'm never going to think trading for Dame was a mistake because it wasn't, firing Bud AND hiring a dud was the mistake.

Firing Bud was the right move and I don't think the vets want Bud back at all. I think it is one of the reasons he was fired. His playoff strategies, schemes, adjustments, player minutes were predictable and bad (I intentionally will not go over the details-it's water over the dam) and there were better options available.

Nurse was there for the taking. He is a little like Bud in that I don't think he listens to a lot of assistants (including Griffin). He knows what he wants and implements it. Where he differs from Bud, is that he is multi scheme and changes up things based on his own talent and the opponent's talent.

We made the wrong choice. It happens.

To clarify I don't think moving on from Bud was wrong. The vibes around this team would have been awful if we changed absolutely nothing after a round 1 exit and we didn't know a Jrue for Lillard type trade would be possible. But combining that decision with the decision to hire a guy who can't head coach an NBA team was a disaster.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Karsenmitsche
Junior
And1: 271

Post#171 » by Karsenmitsche » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:14 pm

ejn1214 wrote:A Blazers fan could shed more light, but I remember Dame having cold stretches that would last awhile in previous years. I'm not sure if he gets banged up, disinterested or whatever. Maybe this is something worse, but there are some huge overreactions here. I really like that he should shoot less 3s like Giannis. That gave me a good laugh.

from a blazers fan who has watched every game of dames career.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MkeBucks/s/JV3uHa5y8X

not good.
"Ill never leave the city of Milwaukee till we build the team to a championship level"-Giannis
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#172 » by yannisk » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:24 pm

We had Nurse available, a proven championship coach. What happened there?

Did Nurse preferred Sixers over us? If that's the case I can understand it.

Did Horst ask Giannis who he preferred from the 3 shortlisted and he chose Grief?

Did Horst chose Nurse and Giannis vetoed him?

Did Horst chose Grief and Giannis ok-ed him?

whatever the case Grief, a rookie coach, should never have been a candidate to a team full of 30+ players, a team that does not have the time to experiment.

and I do not understand who advises Horst. Celtics chose Udoka but they had Stevens evaluate him and his vision. Heat had Riley to choose Spoelstra. How can Horst a former ups employee understand defensive/offensive strategy of a rookie coach.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,225

Post#173 » by FrieAaron » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:31 pm

Karsenmitsche wrote:
ejn1214 wrote:A Blazers fan could shed more light, but I remember Dame having cold stretches that would last awhile in previous years. I'm not sure if he gets banged up, disinterested or whatever. Maybe this is something worse, but there are some huge overreactions here. I really like that he should shoot less 3s like Giannis. That gave me a good laugh.

from a blazers fan who has watched every game of dames career.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MkeBucks/s/JV3uHa5y8X

not good.

"when dame looks this bad, there’s no point in a deep analysis"

OK, but what about when everyone looks this bad on defense? Game after game?

I'm honestly still not concerned about Dame on offense. If a terrible game from him is scoring 18 points on 16 shots that's very survivable. Dame, after Giannis, is one of the main reasons we even manage to squeak out so many close wins in the first place to get us a 25-11 record.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,710

Post#174 » by SupremeHustle » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:37 pm

I turned the game off early. First time in years that I CHOSE not to watch. We have two first-ballot Hall of Famers on the team and a lifelong fan was like, "Meh".

Here's to better days. Now to skim this thread...
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,434

Post#175 » by randy84 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:38 pm

I bet if you talked to most coaches in the NBA they would say that one of the things that they try to do against the Bucks is to pull Lopez away from the basket.

Now with Griff they don't have to worry about it. He does it for them.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,176

Post#176 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:52 pm

We all assume (probably correctly) that Giannis wanted AG over Nurse. The "we could have had Nurse" scenario isn't necessarily true. He was reportedly a finalist (along with Atkinson). But it's very plausible that he preferred Philly anyway.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,086

Post#177 » by German Athens » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:03 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:We all assume (probably correctly) that Giannis wanted AG over Nurse. The "we could have had Nurse" scenario isn't necessarily true. He was reportedly a finalist (along with Atkinson). But it's very plausible that he preferred Philly anyway.

I don’t think he did. The report of Nurse preferring Philly to us came like an hour before the news dropped that we were hiring Griff.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,781

Post#178 » by JayMKE » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:22 pm

I feel like the main reason a lot of us were comfortable calling for Bud to get fired altogether was the presumption they'd bring in specifically Nick Nurse. At least that was true for me, I was like others conflicted about it given the circumstances but thought that it was the easiest way to shaking up our championship core never thinking Horst would hire a rookie coach or get Dame. Bud being so much a Pop disciple with his own growing coaching tree was something I admired and so it bums me out a lot losing that organizational edge.
FREE GIANNIS
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#179 » by MissKhriddleton » Sun Jan 7, 2024 8:32 pm

We had a chance to hire a coach who won a championship 5 years ago with arguably the least talented championship roster since I have no idea. And instead we chose to hire a guy who has never coached a game in his life. With a championship window of about 2-3 years. Doesn’t matter where Nurse preferred, you give him whatever it takes to get him.

I’m not sure how this wasn’t considered absolutely insane at the time, because most of the board was cool with it, but what a slap in the face to this entire fan base.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,195

Post#180 » by Ron Swanson » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:13 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:We had a chance to hire a coach who won a championship 5 years ago with arguably the least talented championship roster since I have no idea And instead we chose to hire a guy who has never coached a game in his life. With a championship window of about 2-3 years. Doesn’t matter where Nurse preferred, you give him whatever it takes to get him.

I’m not sure how this wasn’t considered absolutely insane at the time, because most of the board was cool with it, but what a slap in the face to this entire fan base.

Uhhh……what?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks