ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#161 » by jschligs » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:59 pm

I could handle commutes until I had kids. I used to commute Madison to MKE 3 days a week. There were brutal days but it was whatever. Now tho, even a 25 minute commute with zero traffic can be a pain when getting to appointments or running errands after work.
Suppose I could do it for a dream job with great pay though.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#162 » by M-C-G » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:34 am

Finn wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Have you tried Coffee Mate Zero Sugar creamer flavors? 1 carb per serving, zero sugars. That's what I switched to and I like it quite a bit.

Tried it, and thought it was disgusting.

I thought so too. Give Splenda creamers a shot.

Anyone else worried about what the zero sugar is made of and the potential side effects? I’ve been a diet soda drinker and the more I like in to artificial sweeteners, the more I’m thinking it’s a bad idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#163 » by M-C-G » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:37 am

jschligs wrote:
vital_signs wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
That sucks. I don't understand whose morale is boosted by being forced to go into the office. Unless you're a manager that needs to have people physically close to you so you can feel some sense of purpose and control.

Productivity? Hell, I get so much more done without being bothered by people dropping by my desk all day.

Our CEO is the definition of anti-wfh. His reasoning never seems to hit home with anyone else and he's fairly condescending about this and other topics.

I don't think he's aware that I, and others, rarely open their laptop after leaving the office and putting their 8 in but have no issue working a little later if at home.

This is how ours is too, but our CEO has so many folks drinking the koolaid and happy to come in. We've been in office since lockdown ended, but I've reached my limit and I'm looking for remote jobs as Madison doesn't have a ton of marketing director/digital openings.

You guys don’t think horrible fluorescent lights, cubicles and minimal access to the sun boost productivity and morale?

The times I have gone in almost no one has been there. It’s like a creepy corporate ghost town and I end up just back on virtual calls but taking them from in the office. Makes no sense

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,349

Post#164 » by Mags FTW » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:46 am

M-C-G wrote:
Finn wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Tried it, and thought it was disgusting.

I thought so too. Give Splenda creamers a shot.

Anyone else worried about what the zero sugar is made of and the potential side effects? I’ve been a diet soda drinker and the more I like in to artificial sweeteners, the more I’m thinking it’s a bad idea

The consensus has always been they are also bad because your body can react like it is getting actual sugar and respond accordingly. There are different types though, and some are less worse than others. I'm pretty sure all are still better for you than processed sugar though. Definitely way fewer calories.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#165 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:50 pm

Curious for those that travel for work (whether ad hocly or regularly) what your expense situation is. I travel about 20% for work and recently they issued a pretty restrictive cost hotel and meal policy. It went from really loose on both to usually only 1 preferred hotel option in concur (for example, I'm staying near a site in STL and only 3 BWs show up as non-flagged with only one in a 15 minute drive). Our meals dropped to 25 lunch/60 dinner. I'm kind of in the mindset of "eh, its their company / their policy" and I consider it in my total enjoyment for working for the company but not a big deal. (I actually dont mind it since i hate long fancy dinners that I kind of have to do because I don't want to be the dick co-worker making the other person go out by themselves since we only travel in teams of 2-3). My co-worker is just pissed about as she is foodie and the type to read all the hotel reviews.

On a recent trip, due to a glitch in Concur BW was not available and I could book the Hampton without getting flagged. So I let the co-worker take the Hampton and I took the BW next door since I didn't care. The Price was hampton being 60% more (or $70 a night more). That is a lot a money throughout the year and the new policy for department alone is going to end up saving a noticeable amount in our travel budget. Not that any of it matters, but kind of conflicted. Should we be good with the BW (Kind of crappy -old carpeting, broken treadmill type of place but beds were clean/fine and good location) or is my company being cheap?

So kind of curious what everyones elses experience is like:
1. What is your Corporate Policy?
2. What is your expectation? (Should your expenses be booked as if you were paying -cheapest flight/hotel - or should they be paying a premium for you to travel?)
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#166 » by crkone » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:54 pm

I'm kinda sick of these new Vexillology flag designs. They all look too corporate-like or something. Here is one I saw on Reddit.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#167 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:04 pm

crkone wrote:I'm kinda sick of these new Vexillology flag designs. They all look too corporate-like or something. Here is one I saw on Reddit.

Like it was cool when there is are some easter eggs in flag/jersey design, but I feel having every color or line or symbol have a deeper meaning is a little much. Like can't the bucks just add a color because it looks cool than "The Venetian Red trim represents the Italian settlers on the South East side of Milwaukee during the 1890s that was instrumental to paving the way to modern basketball"
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,767

Post#168 » by chonestown » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:29 pm

The Wisconsin flag is horrible and I don't want it changed.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,008

Post#169 » by emunney » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:35 pm

chonestown wrote:The Wisconsin flag is horrible and I don't want it changed.

The idea that we should somehow *symbolize* 'Forward' rather than simply writing it on the flag has got me feeling desperate. Plus the current flag includes the four pillars of Wisconsin society: anchors, plows, communism, and of course baking soda.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,767

Post#170 » by chonestown » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:53 pm

emunney wrote:
chonestown wrote:The Wisconsin flag is horrible and I don't want it changed.

The idea that we should somehow *symbolize* 'Forward' rather than simply writing it on the flag has got me feeling desperate. Plus the current flag includes the four pillars of Wisconsin society: anchors, plows, communism, and of course baking soda.

Hell, don't even need a good excuse to post this. It's all gravy.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,054

Post#171 » by BUCKnation » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:52 pm

All of these new flags just look like copies of the current flags for island countries in the pacific. Don't get me wrong, I like most of them, but these new state designs dont seem original.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#172 » by trwi7 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 am

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,152

Post#173 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:03 am

No problem for Topuria
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,028

Post#174 » by Prez » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:11 am

MickeyDavis wrote:No problem for Topuria

I am dead inside.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#175 » by JayMKE » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:24 pm

Yeah I feel like the flag redesign people are the same people behind the new Nike jerseys with the convoluted explanations about how it represents our river & lake or whatever. That flag is legitimately ugly af too.

The self styled vexillologists have a weird form of zealotry and rules. I hate almost all modern minimalist flat design
FREE GIANNIS
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,349

Post#176 » by Mags FTW » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:07 pm

I soured on all the flag stuff after the debacle over the Milwaukee Sunrise People's Flag.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,152

Post#177 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:27 pm

Meh, this is just some goober on reddit, it's not like there's a chance this abomination would replace the current flag.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#178 » by MoreTrife » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:01 pm

I'm getting tired of my podcasts - feel like all I listen to are celebrities (actors, comedians, sports people) talking to other celebrities.

Any interesting podcasts to recommend? I'd prefer non-fiction (though I have enjoyed the Magnus Archives that someone on here recommended).
I love Hardcore History but have listened to them and not always in the mood for something that heavy.
I really loved Lost Debate podcast (and it's still decent) but the format changed a bit.
THANKS!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#179 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:13 pm

MoreTrife wrote:I'm getting tired of my podcasts - feel like all I listen to are celebrities (actors, comedians, sports people) talking to other celebrities.

Any interesting podcasts to recommend? I'd prefer non-fiction (though I have enjoyed the Magnus Archives that someone on here recommended).
I love Hardcore History but have listened to them and not always in the mood for something that heavy.
I really loved Lost Debate podcast (and it's still decent) but the format changed a bit.
THANKS!

I read half the post and was going to suggest Hardcore History.****

If you are interested at all in the markets, I really like Animal Spirits. They are 2 40-year-old dads thinking out loud on news stories. One guy is from Grand Rapids and the other is self-deprecating balding guy from NY. They don't take anything too seriously and admit when they are/were wrong.

I also like listening to earnings calls of some major travel and credit card companies. I find it interesting where Hilton and others are putting their resources on travel trends. Choice hotels attempt at a hostile takeover of Wyndham is fun listening to both sides smear each other during their prepared remarks.

****I was on a long drive with a co-worker and since I was driving I was totally past the point of giving the person any choice of choosing the podcast (they have a phone, if they are bored, use it) and put on Carlin's audit book "The end is always near." Of course, it was on the chapter of how much children were physically and sexually abused in the past. His was going on a thought tangent of how if this happened to a kid today, we would consider them very emotionally damaged and how it affected their leadership style. He was asking to himself if all 18th/19th/early 20th leaderships extremely emotionally damaged or did it not affect them at all. If you were hopping into the book or his talks cold like my co-worker was, you definitely thought this guy was promoting child abuse. I'm sure the co-worker was thinking WTF is wrong with these people.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,493

Post#180 » by KidA24 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:26 pm

MoreTrife wrote:I'm getting tired of my podcasts - feel like all I listen to are celebrities (actors, comedians, sports people) talking to other celebrities.

THANKS!

Have you listened to the Dollop? Yes, it's comedy, but it is also real events from American history.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”

Return to Milwaukee Bucks