Around the League - IST Games talk

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,647

Re: Around the League - IST Games talk 

Post#1861 » by raferfenix » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:12 pm

Where’s witchhunt being used?

Articles / radio or more throwaway tweets and realgm posts?

Interested to see how it’s being framed. Not clear what the motivation would be for national media to go after Griffin in and of itself.

Chris Haynes being the one to report on the Bobby incident makes it seem plenty likely Dame and Giannis are saying things on background too. At the least he’d reach out for comment and they didn’t contradict it.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#1862 » by raferfenix » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Bmaasse wrote:What was the name of the band that used to play at the BC?

Streetlife. Very talented but not a fit for Bucks games. Warren Wiegratz, the band leader, is an outstanding saxophonist but only played keyboards. They'd play the same few songs game after game after game. It was cool have an in-house band but they were a bad fit.

Nostalgia trip talking Streetlife.

That said it drove me crazy that they only played the same couple songs every game. No clue why they didn’t vary it at all over all those years.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,434

Post#1863 » by randy84 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:15 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:See the memo went out to use the term witchhunt.
This isn’t personal to Griffin. Most analysts and posters on here would be hammering Joe Prunty, Jason Kidd, Stotts (or anyone else) if they kept moving Brook, Giannis and Bobby out to guard the perimeter with disastrous results.

I didn't get the memo, so I'd call it the usual coach scapegoating for frustrating team performance. There are some interesting wrinkles in this instance, however, because Griffin is coaching this team to win two games out of every three, which is not always the case when the coach is being criticized.

I think the win because of talent/lose because of coaching argument prevalent here is a creative solution to this quandary.

Seems to be the standard that Bud was held to, but Bud at least had a resume.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,627

Post#1864 » by PG Graveyard » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:27 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
PG Graveyard wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=7x9MgP9Kcm4BOX840mYHGQ

What an absolutely asinine take. We switched to zone for the majority of the second half. This is becoming a comical witch hunt at this point.

Curious to see our defensive numbers in zone. Eye test says it works for about 2 possessions before getting shredded as is the case 99% of the time in the NBA but I could be wrong.

We may have stayed in it too long but I dont believe we had a choice since any two man action with Brook in it is a disaster when teams can go 5 out. I’m curious how the defense is supposed to be good with Dame and Middleton on the floor at the same time. It’s just not going to happen
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,627

Post#1865 » by PG Graveyard » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:28 pm

raferfenix wrote:Where’s witchhunt being used?

Interested to see how it’s being framed. Not clear what the motivation would be for national media to go after Griffin in and of itself.

Chris Haynes being the one to report on the Bobby incident makes it seem plenty likely Dame and Giannis are saying things on background too. At the least he’d reach out for comment and they didn’t contradict it.

The motivation is the media wants to kneecap the Bucks so they can talk about Giannis trades again.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,403

Post#1866 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:34 pm

sidney lanier wrote:Griffin is coaching this team to win two games out of every three, which is not always the case when the coach is being criticized.

Budenholzer’s career winning percentage with the Bucks was .693%. Including seasons of .732%, .767% and .707%

The standard now is winning the title. And go back and research how many teams in NBA history had a big/small duo that each averaged 30+ ppg the year prior, with one being a DPOY winner.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#1867 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:36 pm

raferfenix wrote:Where’s witchhunt being used?

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=9rpMwNqOSwMJrvAAN06wgA

emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,017

Post#1868 » by emunney » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:38 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:See the memo went out to use the term witchhunt.

This isn’t personal to Griffin. Most analysts and posters on here would be hammering Joe Prunty, Jason Kidd, Stotts (or anyone else) if they kept moving Brook, Giannis and Bobby out to guard the perimeter with disastrous results.

Just a misuse of the term. This isn't exactly "a lady doth speak her mind." It's just "who is typically responsible when a basketball team looks poorly prepared and disjointed?"
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,017

Post#1869 » by emunney » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:41 pm

I don't see a reason to assign a motive to this beyond basketball analysts wanting to analyze why one of the preseason title favorites has spent so much of the season playing way beneath its talent level.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,496

Post#1870 » by KidA24 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:11 pm

Milbucks96 wrote:The bucks don’t have the personnel to guard like the Lakers. I wish we had a different coach, but I wouldn’t say his decisions were the difference between winning and losing that game. I do like that the national media is starting to point out that we’re lacking in the coaching department though.

The guy constantly had someone pressing Haliburton 40 feet from the basket.

No screen, nothing. Let's just ball press one of the five best ball handlers in the league.

Only to have Halliburton blow by them, put us in rotations and end up with Brook and Giannis on the perimeter on smalls.

That is coaching malpractice. It is setting your players up to fail.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,180

Post#1871 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:30 pm

Statistics and analytics can be used to spin any narrative. But sometimes the simple eye test is all that's needed. Anyone who's watched every Bucks game, as most of us have, can see this team has been terribly coached.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,047

Post#1872 » by Plossum » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Statistics and analytics can be used to spin any narrative. But sometimes the simple eye test is all that's needed. Anyone who's watched every Bucks game, as most of us have, can see this team has been terribly coached.

What has been most glaring to me is the team doesn’t seem to be enjoying themselves much. Everything feels like a slog.
#LockUpChuck
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#1873 » by raferfenix » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:34 am

PG Graveyard wrote:The motivation is the media wants to kneecap the Bucks so they can talk about Giannis trades again.

But replacing the coach is the easiest possible thing the team could do.

Kneecapping the Bucks really is saying the Dame-Giannis pairing just doesn’t fit that well.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,157

Post#1874 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:38 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Plus our DJ is cringworthy, really bad.

I think we have four DJs.
1. Main one
2. Poto
3. Kids area
4. I can't remember but thought there was another.

Like you can go to poto club to grab a chill drink pregame, can't bring a kid to the kids area cause it's too loud, can't talk during a timeout to friends.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,032

Post#1875 » by sidney lanier » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:04 am

raferfenix wrote:
PG Graveyard wrote:The motivation is the media wants to kneecap the Bucks so they can talk about Giannis trades again.

Kneecapping the Bucks really is saying the Dame-Giannis pairing just doesn’t fit that well.

Dumping Griffin now or in the near future would give Bucks haters like Bill Simmons the hap-happiest feeling of all this Christmas season. Their schadenfreude would be off the charts. They are not fools and know how formidable the Giannis-Lillard combo is. Evidence that Griffin couldn't make it work would tickle them pink and give them hope that the next guy, whoever he is, would also struggle putting the puzzle together.

Not only that, but starting over 20 games into the season would be a problem. The shortcomings we all have seen are part of the journey. It would be foolish to throw that all away instead of building on it.

I say again: R-E-L-A-X.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#1876 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:29 am

sidney lanier wrote:
raferfenix wrote:

Dumping Griffin now or in the near future would give Bucks haters like Bill Simmons the hap-happiest feeling of all this Christmas season. Their schadenfreude would be off the charts. They are not fools and know how formidable the Giannis-Lillard combo is. Evidence that Griffin couldn't make it work would tickle them pink and give them hope that the next guy, whoever he is, would also struggle putting the puzzle together.

Not only that, but starting over 20 games into the season would be a problem. The shortcomings we all have seen are part of the journey. It would be foolish to throw that all away instead of building on it.

I say again: R-E-L-A-X.

D-E-F-E-N-S-E
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,401

Post#1877 » by RiotPunch » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:04 am

sidney lanier wrote:The shortcomings we all have seen are part of the journey. It would be foolish to throw that all away instead of building on it.

#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#1878 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:06 am

sidney lanier wrote:
Dumping Griffin now or in the near future would give Bucks haters like Bill Simmons the hap-happiest feeling of all this Christmas season. Their schadenfreude would be off the charts. They are not fools and know how formidable the Giannis-Lillard combo is. Evidence that Griffin couldn't make it work would tickle them pink

Uh no. If tomorrow the Bucks replaced Griffin with say Kenny Atkinson, they’d be upset, knowing it plausible all the low hanging fruit problems would get fixed.

The only way Celtic fans wouldn’t be scared is if we replaced him with Prunty. They know Prunty sucks also

JonHeist
Junior
And1: 615

Post#1879 » by JonHeist » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:41 pm

Celtics fans wanted to stone Ime Udoka to death at this point in his first season fwiw

And that turned out to be an awful take
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#1880 » by BroncoBuck » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:55 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Statistics and analytics can be used to spin any narrative. But sometimes the simple eye test is all that's needed. Anyone who's watched every Bucks game, as most of us have, can see this team has been terribly coached.

Just don’t say it on Bucks Twitter…

I’m glad the national talking heads are picking it up now. Obviously the sample size isn’t the greatest, but Griff looks way in over his head and this team doesn’t fit the learn on the job timeline.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks