PG Indy Game 2: Series Tied 1-1

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,948

Re: PG Indy Game 2: Series Tied 1-1 

Post#201 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:The Pacers have consistently created better shots. using much less effort.

Dame has been incredible, but he's working incredibly hard just to get the ball. It's no surprise he's slowing down in the 2nd half. Middleton has been really god especially given how hard he's had to work just to get off tough shots. Contrast that with how easy Siakam is getting the ball where he wants it.

Indy is putting the Bucks into a simple action (usually PnR or PnP), then just picking them apart once they scramble to recover. The Pacers didn't settle for jumpshots like game 1, and then the 3s started falling. Giannis isn't fixing this defense as there's just too many broken parts. But, I do think he can help the Bucks outscore the Pacers.

I mean, last night they absolutely did, but that certainly wasn't the case in Game 1. Siakam doing his best KD impression opens up everything for their offense. I mean, this is a guy who's a low-40's mid-range scorer and 27% 3PT shooter for his career in the playoffs, and he's on an incredible heater right now. The overall strategy of baiting him and Turner into launching threes is a sound one, but without Giannis to matchup against one of those two, you're left with Brook trying to cover too much ground while Bobby just gets erased from any play with a simple high screen. Said after last game that these non-Giannis games were still gonna come down to how the Bobby/Brook front court minutes hold up defensively, and nothing has changed my mind. Giannis coming back and putting him on Siakam changes everything.

I'm not sure "baiting" is the right word. Both of them are proven capable shooters. It just so happens to be the least worst option given the Bucks defensive capabilities. AKA: hope they miss which did happen for 1 game.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,216

Post#202 » by BigO » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 pm

BP was right with his statement on front runners, but it really applies to posters in this thread. What an abomination. This thread has it all:

1) Bashing Giannis for being hurt. Bashing Crowder, PC, Dame, KM, et al

2) Bashing BP post after post. I knew that was coming. The guys who have been silent for the past few months have now been let out of their cages. BP was not good, but his 14 and 11 (and minus 5 when he was on the court) was hardly the biggest issue.

I predicted Bucks losing this series if one of the top 3 was out, because the bench stinks and with BP now starting, there is no bench.

It is not impossible for the Bucks to win, but they don't have enough healthy talent to win. Take out one the best players in the game and what did all of you expect? Get real.

You all act surprised and flail away at players and coaches alike, as if this is a surprise. It's not a surprise.

You have a starting shooting guard in PatBev that can't score if his life depended on it, but without him, they have a starting five with little defensive talent.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man

Post#203 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 pm

German Athens wrote:Bobby hesitating on so many of his corner three looks has been really hard to watch. I get he needs to play with what he’s comfortable doing, but that’s the look the offense created even if it’s a small window.

Him hesitating and then trying to back down his guy from 20 feet completely resets the offense.

Siakam in particular is doing a great job of closing hard on Bobby and taking away those 3s he's usually able to walk into.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,176

Post#204 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:The Pacers have consistently created better shots. using much less effort.

Dame has been incredible, but he's working incredibly hard just to get the ball. It's no surprise he's slowing down in the 2nd half. Middleton has been really god especially given how hard he's had to work just to get off tough shots. Contrast that with how easy Siakam is getting the ball where he wants it.

Indy is putting the Bucks into a simple action (usually PnR or PnP), then just picking them apart once they scramble to recover. The Pacers didn't settle for jumpshots like game 1, and then the 3s started falling. Giannis isn't fixing this defense as there's just too many broken parts. But, I do think he can help the Bucks outscore the Pacers.

I mean, last night they absolutely did, but that certainly wasn't the case in Game 1. Siakam doing his best KD impression opens up everything for their offense. I mean, this is a guy who's a low-40's mid-range scorer and 27% 3PT shooter for his career in the playoffs, and he's on an incredible heater right now. The overall strategy of baiting him and Turner into launching threes is a sound one, but without Giannis to matchup against one of those two, you're left with Brook trying to cover too much ground while Bobby just gets erased from any play with a simple high screen. Said after last game that these non-Giannis games were still gonna come down to how the Bobby/Brook front court minutes hold up defensively, and nothing has changed my mind. Giannis coming back and putting him on Siakam changes everything.

I'm not sure "baiting" is the right word. Both of them are proven capable shooters. It just so happens to be the least worst option given the Bucks defensive capabilities. AKA: hope they miss which did happen for 1 game.

We're talking about career 27% and 32% postseason 3PT shooters. If you aren't fine conceding those lightly contested looks, then what are you advocating they do defensively? "Just contest everything"? Easier said than done.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,632

Post#205 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm

fan230 wrote:So try Thanasis and try Livingstone.

I like Thanasis - he seems like a great dude and I'm happy he is on the Bucks.

But he's the worst player in the league and it's probably not even close.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#206 » by BUCKnation » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 pm

My hopes haven't been super high for this series, but I just can't get too upset without Giannis. Imagine taking away Siakam from this Pacers team. They might lose game 1 by 40 and we probably take game 2 in easy fashion.

If anything we have a clearer picture of guys who should probably go asap. Crowder has been a negative. Beasley was good in game 1, but bad in this one and got pulled immediately. Pat, I thought, was actually really good. Seemed to be the only one outside of Dame who could drive and create even a little bit.

Dame has been amazing and gives me a lot of confidence moving forward.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#207 » by BUCKnation » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:05 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

I don't know how exactly to stop this, but they frequently got crazy mismatches too. Why is Dame ending up on Siakam in the post for example?
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,511

Post#208 » by old skool » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm

The Bucks have a top heavy roster, with three max contracts in Middleton, Lillard and Antetokounmpo. Adding Lillard for Holiday and Allen was a bet on all of the big 3 being healthy and a bench that would be vulnerable during the regular season, but needed less in the playoffs when starter's minutes are extended, there are no games missed for rest, and longer TV timeouts provide recuperation in game.

Did anyone here think that the Bucks would be a top team without Antetokounmpo?
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,529

Post#209 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:Some of you need to take a step back from basketball for a couple days if you're clamoring for Jackson, Marjon, and Livingston to get any sort of meaningful minutes right now.

EDIT: I can KIND OF buy MAYBE getting AJJ in there for a few minutes and hope you get one of those high energy, disruptive stretches from him, but it's a massive risk because if you don't get that, you get garbage, zero value on either end of the floor.
It's not a clamor, it's a realization that we are most likely screwed without Giannis, so let's at least try not being old, since being old will destroy us.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,214

Post#210 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
fan230 wrote:So try Thanasis and try Livingstone.

I like Thanasis - he seems like a great dude and I'm happy he is on the Bucks.

But he's the worst player in the league and it's probably not even close.

Yet Bud managed to get him meaningful positive minutes in wins vs. Brooklyn in 2021. Producing that kind outcome is about who he's on the court with & when.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 126

Post#211 » by j_hilge444 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:26 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

I don't know how exactly to stop this, but they frequently got crazy mismatches too. Why is Dame ending up on Siakam in the post for example?

Dude the amount of times Dame was trying to guard Siakam was insane. Just fixing that (please) will go a long way.
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.
j_hilge444
Senior
And1: 126

Post#212 » by j_hilge444 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm

old skool wrote:The Bucks have a top heavy roster, with three max contracts in Middleton, Lillard and Antetokounmpo. Adding Lillard for Holiday and Allen was a bet on all of the big 3 being healthy and a bench that would be vulnerable during the regular season, but needed less in the playoffs when starter's minutes are extended, there are no games missed for rest, and longer TV timeouts provide recuperation in game.

The Bucks 2024 Roster: Constructed with Playoff TV Timeouts In Mind
Luke Ridnour getting silly all over - throwing mad alley oops to Ilyasova.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man

Post#213 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:28 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

We're talking about career 27% and 32% postseason 3PT shooters. If you aren't fine conceding those lightly contested looks, then what are you advocating they do defensively? "Just contest everything"? Easier said than done.

I fully agree those 2 are who you want shooting, but right now they're combining for 43% over the 1st two games and the playoffs are about adjustments. I'd feel a lot better about it if those two were getting great looks by design. The Pacers are getting great looks everywhere. The Pacers are creating 4v3s and 3v2s nearly every time down the court. Some of this is by design (Buck's strategy), but much of it is also just plain miscommunication on switches or premature rotations (usually Khris). The backside rotations to recover are just laughably bad. It's as if they're just making it up every time down the court, or simply not bothering to rotate (Dame, Bobby, Beas, Crowder).

My adjustment? Execute something resembling a team defense. It's been a problem all year even with Giannis. Never thought I'd miss watching Brook in the drop all game, but here we are.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#214 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm

My guess is they're going to try and hope for a split in Indy this way Gianni will be ready to go in Game 5? If that reporting is indeed based in some truth that he hasn't even been running or cutting, then there's no point in even trying. Just shut him down and let him get ready for next season.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,193

Post#215 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Brewhoopfan wrote:

I fully agree those 2 are who you want shooting, but right now they're combining for 43% over the 1st two games and the playoffs are about adjustments. I'd feel a lot better about it if those two were getting great looks by design. The Pacers are getting great looks everywhere. The Pacers are creating 4v3s and 3v2s nearly every time down the court. Some of this is by design (Buck's strategy), but much of it is also just plain miscommunication on switches or premature rotations (usually Khris). The backside rotations to recover are just laughably bad. It's as if they're just making it up every time down the court, or simply not bothering to rotate (Dame, Bobby, Beas, Crowder).

My adjustment? Execute something resembling a team defense. It's been a problem all year even with Giannis. Never thought I'd miss watching Brook in the drop all game, but here we are.

The defense has improved under Doc. Just common sense stuff like generally keeping Brook close to the basket and not having Bobby aggressively trap in the backcourt. But its mostly a personnel issue. A combination of body, athleticism, defensive IQ, and age issues.

Khris is basically held together by duct tape. Brook is a massive 36-year old human coming off a back surgery. Bobby is one of the least athletic bigs in the league. Jae might not be an NBA player at this point. Malik gets lost easily. PatCon is essentially a 4 trapped in a 2's body. Dame has never been a great defender.

We didn't even entertain the idea of consistently mixing in AJJ to combat a number of these shortcomings. Over the course of three coaches. The only man who can potentially save us wasn't load managed at the end of the season for whatever the reason. Seemingly our sole option now is a bucket race to 130 but Doc refuses go away from his vet non-contributors. And I don't see any way, outside of Indiana going ice cold again, to string together enough stops to make it a slugfest. Ugh.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,130

Post#216 » by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,044

Post#217 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm

Point and yell at each other all you want about who should be picking up Haliburton, but at some point it should click in Middleton's head that he's the closer guy and either he picks up the ball or the Pacers get a wide open 3.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#218 » by yannisk » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm

It does not seem that Giannis is coming back anytime soon. Giannis has played the most games and most minutes per game since 2017/2018, we should have protected him when it was known he was suffering from tendinopathy, instead we were trying to win some games that we were not even certain that would make our postseason path easier. Who knows maybe he would have got injured anyway but we look quite stupid how we handled his situation
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,392

Post#219 » by rilamann » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:19 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:Point and yell at each other all you want about who should be picking up Haliburton, but at some point it should click in Middleton's head that he's the closer guy and either he picks up the ball or the Pacers get a wide open 3.

One of the reasons main reasons I gave the Bucks pretty much no chance in this series with or without Giannis is the fact that they still look completely lost and clueless defensively.

They still look like a bunch of dudes in the 1st week of training camp who have never played with one another.

But it's April.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,705

Post#220 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm

j_hilge444 wrote:
old skool wrote:The Bucks have a top heavy roster, with three max contracts in Middleton, Lillard and Antetokounmpo. Adding Lillard for Holiday and Allen was a bet on all of the big 3 being healthy and a bench that would be vulnerable during the regular season, but needed less in the playoffs when starter's minutes are extended, there are no games missed for rest, and longer TV timeouts provide recuperation in game.

The Bucks 2024 Roster: Constructed with Playoff TV Timeouts In Mind

Hilarious.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks