ImageImage

PG Utah: Great Third Quarter!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,765

Re: PG Utah: Great Third Quarter! 

Post#221 » by chonestown » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:31 pm

PG Graveyard wrote:Who is Adrien Brody on our bench?

Based on "Winning Time," it's universally beloved Bally Sports post-game show host Steve Novak.

As you'll remember if you watched the series, Riles began his post-player career in La-La Land as Chick Hearn's sidepiece.

If lightning strikes twice, Novak will get tapped, roll to multiple titles, develop a crushing addiction to Armani and become one of the more ruthless player personnel men in history.

Does Horts have the balls to follow the course the prophets spake?
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,372

Post#222 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Wanting AG fired the first month of the season was a rash, hot take. Wanting him fired now is the only rational take.

It was a hot take. But this board generally get's their hot takes correct. Not all, but most.

In hindsight, where Griff made the mistake was the Stotts situation. People may have differing opinions on his coaching abilities, but Stotts was never known as a hothead, or anything less than a company guy. The Stotts thing came out of nowhere, yet spoke volumes about disharmony on the staff.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#223 » by yannisk » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:37 pm

msiris wrote:
soxperry wrote:
msiris wrote:Bobby, Bobby, Bobby. For a big man he is not good enough for a defender.

Hes not good at defending bigs in the paint but hes surprisingly not bad on the perimeter.
He is ok, but he doesn't have the foot speed and gets blown by to easy. He is your classic tweener.

He is slow on the perimeter and he cannot block shots under the basket. He is an ok post defender for other PFs, but few PFs post nowdays.

Basically Bobby is a 90s player except when he hits his 3p shots. The problem is he has never hit his 3p shots in the playofs so far.

if tend to look our last 7 game series with the Celtics to see who can step up. Middleton was out, we knew Portis would not give us much on defense but he was one of the few that could replace some of Khris production. What did he do? 39% overall 23% on 3p shots
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#224 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:43 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Lakers fired Paul Westhead after a 7-4 start. This was 18 months after he won the title as interim head coach after Jack McKinney had his bike accident.

The Winning Time series does a good job of highlighting what happened. Magic wanted Showtime to emerge. Westhead held him back.

Riley and company pushed SVG out about 20ish games in to the season and the Heat went on to win the title.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,755

Post#225 » by msiris » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:44 pm

BigO wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:

Yeah, that's right. LeBron, LeGM, soured on him at a time when they had the best record in the Eastern Conference. So that's one out of a few thousand team-seasons. As for Blatt, cleveland.com put it this way: "he ran out of time when the team ran out of hope." I "hope" we're not there yet, and I really hope Giannis is not the meddler LeBron is.

Rerunning diagnostics now. Still not getting the "faulty coach" code.

The diagnostic machine you're using is the problem. Get a new one and the code will come right up.

Might be the one from 2021. :)
Ride the tank
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,676

Post#226 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:45 pm

Guys if we dont get a coach that already has rings then he still won't have enough power to tell KM to defer ball handling to Dame which should be our offense when he's in the game.. one of the top PG of all time is on our team and we have to watch KM get trapped. When KM was injured it wasn't a problem and Dame Time was a thing.. ever since the Indy game where KM took the ball up and turned it over, we lost and Portis blew up Dame Time hasn't been there. KM also does very little as he stumbles around lost on D and athletic teams are running us out of the gym.

Package KM and send him in return for tough 3 and D guys that make big shots and don't need the ball much or get a coach that limits his ball handling and minutes or we will have another 1st round exit. We need a new starting 2 and 3. Beas at a min salary is fine off the bench and sit him if he D is killing us. KM could do the same but has too much ego to accept that role and I'm not sure our young guys can fill those 2 starter spots. If Jae isn't cooked too he'd be ideal as a starting 3 with Dame and Marjon or AJJ would have to step up unless we can get a good trade/buyout guy.
msiris
RealGM

Post#227 » by msiris » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:48 pm

yannisk wrote:
msiris wrote:
soxperry wrote:
Hes not good at defending bigs in the paint but hes surprisingly not bad on the perimeter.
He is ok, but he doesn't have the foot speed and gets blown by to easy. He is your classic tweener.

He is slow on the perimeter and he cannot block shots under the basket. He is an ok post defender for other PFs, but few PFs post nowdays.

Basically Bobby is a 90s player except when he hits his 3p shots. The problem is he has never hit his 3p shots in the playofs so far.

if tend to look our last 7 game series with the Celtics to see who can step up. Middleton was out, we knew Portis would not give us much on defense but he was one of the few that could replace some of Khris production. What did he do? 39% overall 23% on 3p shots
We have a few players lik that. If they are not hitting their shots they don't give you anything else
Ride the tank
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#228 » by fan230 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:52 pm

Yesterday Khris was suddenly put back into his original role as the number two scorer and he struggled a lot especially in the first half. Just like Jrue struggled initially when asked to become the no 2 scorer after Khris got injured.

Utah built the wall for Giannis and the other 4 Bucks were pretty helpless in offense then.

We need 3 top players in our offense, not 2.

Our offense was miserable especially in the first half yesterday.

We have no replacements in defense for Jrue Javon and Wes. That is a huge weakness that Horst failed to anticipate.

Some things become more obvious when at the game vs watching on tv. Yesterday at Fiserv, it was painfully obvious to me that I had overestimated the immediate upside of ajj & he was our starting pg!

Ag has tried Mjb because he has few other options. He is nowhere close to being a starter quality player.

So yes, our team has big weaknesses but we still have great offensive players.

We need to try and get veterans who are defensive players (Jae will make a big difference I think) but not stars. Players who will cost little, like a Wes. We can’t afford anyone else.

Jrue was a good fit coz he was great in defense and good on offense. Bledsoe, though not as good as Jrue, had a similar advantage for the team.

Dame is v weak on defense however. So at least 40 percent of our starters are very weak defenders. That is v hard to overcome.

Our bench is also much worse now than before.

We actually need a pg or sg who is good on defense and offense, like Jrue or Eric. That will give our starters the right balance.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,216

Post#229 » by BigO » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:54 pm

msiris wrote:
yannisk wrote:
msiris wrote:He is ok, but he doesn't have the foot speed and gets blown by to easy. He is your classic tweener.

We have a few players lik that. If they are not hitting their shots they don't give you anything else

Again, labelling Portis as a guy who can only hit shots is just wrong. He almost averaged double digit rebounds the last two seasons and again, rebounding is a huge part of defense. I don't mind a critique of Portis, but he's being made a caricature of someone who doesn't exist.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#230 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:58 pm

I know none of us are huge fans but at this point I think the best realistic move would be Rivers HC and Stotts as an assistant. Sure Rivers showed he's not a top 5 coach type but he's also proven he is a good coach, well respected, not an idiot. Bot these guys seem to be in the right age/situation to take on a short term commitment then sort it out after season type of thing. To hopefully avoid giving out another 4 year contract. A quirk I thought of though is if there is anything in Docs Phi contract where he gives up free money if he takes another hc job type thing.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
BigO
Analyst

Post#231 » by BigO » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:01 pm

fan230 wrote:Yesterday Khris was suddenly put back into his original role as the number two scorer and he struggled a lot especially in the first half. Just like Jrue struggled initially when asked to become the no 2 scorer after Khris got injured.

Utah built the wall for Giannis and the other 4 Bucks were pretty helpless in offense then.

We need 3 top players in our offense, not 2.

Our offense was miserable especially in the first half yesterday.

We have no replacements in defense for Jrue Javon and Wes. That is a huge weakness that Horst failed to anticipate.

Some things become more obvious when at the game vs watching on tv. Yesterday at Fiserv, it was painfully obvious to me that I had overestimated the immediate upside of ajj & he was our starting pg!

Ag has tried Mjb because he has few other options. He is nowhere close to being a starter quality player.

So yes, our team has big weaknesses but we still have great offensive players.

We need to try and get veterans who are defensive players (Jae will make a big difference I think) but not stars. Players who will cost little, like a Wes. We can’t afford anyone else.

Jrue was a good fit coz he was great in defense and good on offense. Bledsoe, though not as good as Jrue, had a similar advantage for the team.

Dame is v weak on defense however. So at least 40 percent of our starters are very weak defenders. That is v hard to overcome.

Our bench is also much worse now than before.

We actually need a pg or sg who is good on defense and offense, like Jrue or Eric. That will give our starters the right balance.

Don't agree with everything you wrote, but good post. Posters vastly underestimated the importance of Wes and Carter's on ball defense and grossly overestimated AJJ's defense.

I posted after summer league that I thought AJJ's defense was really bad in that guys got by him at will. But posters were enamored that he could follow the guy and block the shot from behind. That doesn't work in the pros and so far AJJ hasn't adapted.

One thing about Bud, he never would have had AJJ on the court with the amount of blow bys he has had. Now who he would replace him with is the big question. I like Green's defense from what I've seen.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,173

Post#232 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:03 pm

Loved it last night when Bobby got into it with Olynyk and it was the loudest the arena got. But it's also a perfect illustration of how Griff has no control over these guys. Bobby constantly feeling the need to go rogue and get himself T'd up just to give some sort of emotional boost for the team is something that shouldn't be happening this often, and definitely not on a Monday night home game against a lottery team. A coach with any modicum of respect and authority reigns that in. There's just no accountability right now and you can see it plain as day with all these guys.
msiris
RealGM

Post#233 » by msiris » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:04 pm

BigO wrote:
msiris wrote:
yannisk wrote:

Again, labelling Portis as a guy who can only hit shots is just wrong. He almost averaged double digit rebounds the last two seasons and again, rebounding is a huge part of defense. I don't mind a critique of Portis, but he's being made a caricature of someone who doesn't exist.
I just think we need a more moble pf who defend better and help rebound. That is the modern NBA right?
Ride the tank
msiris
RealGM

Post#234 » by msiris » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:09 pm

People are forgetting how bad Jrue was during the last few post seaon.
Ride the tank
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#235 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:15 pm

The dark humor in me would laugh quite hard if Doc Rivers were helicoptered in.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#236 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:17 pm

chonestown wrote:
PG Graveyard wrote:Who is Adrien Brody on our bench?

Based on "Winning Time," it's universally beloved Bally Sports post-game show host Steve Novak.

As you'll remember if you watched the series, Riles began his post-player career in La-La Land as Chick Hearn's sidepiece.

If lightning strikes twice, Novak will get tapped, roll to multiple titles, develop a crushing addiction to Armani and become one of the more ruthless player personnel men in history.

Does Horts have the balls to follow the course the prophets spake?

I am sold.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,013

Post#237 » by sidney lanier » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:40 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:The dark humor in me would laugh quite hard if Doc Rivers were helicoptered in.

If it's Doc Rivers, I'm doing a role reversal and hopping aboard the Rash Firing Express after the first loss.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,372

Post#238 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Loved it last night when Bobby got into it with Olynyk and it was the loudest the arena got. But it's also a perfect illustration of how Griff has no control over these guys. Bobby constantly feeling the need to go rogue and get himself T'd up just to give some sort of emotional boost for the team is something that shouldn't be happening this often, and definitely not on a Monday night home game against a lottery team. A coach with any modicum of respect and authority reigns that in. There's just no accountability right now and you can see it plain as day with all these guys.

Bobby was incredible in that sequence on the first few times he was fed the ball. But then he started to lose it and got T'ed up.

Don't know what you do with Bobby. Still concerned on that play from last week where he punched the stanchion but didn't get T'ed up. His emotions are running hot at the moment.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BigO
Analyst

Post#239 » by BigO » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:59 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Loved it last night when Bobby got into it with Olynyk and it was the loudest the arena got. But it's also a perfect illustration of how Griff has no control over these guys. Bobby constantly feeling the need to go rogue and get himself T'd up just to give some sort of emotional boost for the team is something that shouldn't be happening this often, and definitely not on a Monday night home game against a lottery team. A coach with any modicum of respect and authority reigns that in. There's just no accountability right now and you can see it plain as day with all these guys.

Bobby was incredible in that sequence on the first few times he was fed the ball. But then he started to lose it and got T'ed up.

Don't know what you do with Bobby. Still concerned on that play from last week where he punched the stanchion but didn't get T'ed up. His emotions are running hot at the moment.

I agree with this.

Bobby knows his role as an emotional leader, but has a hard time with boundaries. I think PJ was also an emotional leader, but he was also someone the players listened to on how to play and was the only one willing to take on Bud when he needed it.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#240 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:01 pm

Bobby's most important role right now is going to be calling for Griffin's head. The rest of the team is too passive and will be content to hum along to a first round exit. Giannis will internalize everything and focus on winning MVP. After Griffin is axed, then you can move Bobby if the opportunity presents itself.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks