ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#241 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 15, 2024 3:02 am

I still love Dillon Jones where he's getting mocked. 6'11 wingspan, built like a fire hydrant, gets lots of deflections and steals. I think his defensive upside is being super underrated, and he's got an NBA-ready offensive game. Not the best distance shooter but he's an 85% guy from the line while getting there a ton (6.8 attempts per game). He can actually run your half-court offense in a pinch. Solid passer and pick & roll operator.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,784

Post#242 » by JayMKE » Wed May 15, 2024 3:24 am

crkone wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Granted, Brook didn't develop one until like 5 years into the NBA, but Edey is not a huge shooting threat. I'm not sure one can expect Edey to develop that part of his game, which is why he's probably going to go later.

If you want a big who can shoot, draft Quinten Post late. 9'4" standing reach, and 44% from 3. ACC all defensive team. Productive college player. Far more agile than Edey.

It's crazy just how big Edey is. Post has respectable size but Edey has 3 inches on his standing reach and over 8 inches on wingspan. Basically a 300 lb Mo Bamba. I think there was something weird going on with his combine athletic testing though cause Edey came out looking pretty good in basically every test for a man his size

Think Edey just looks like a guy who should be more of a plodder than he is, dude is massive no doubt.
FREE GIANNIS
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 819

Post#243 » by Packbuckman » Wed May 15, 2024 11:18 am

JayMKE wrote:
crkone wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
If you want a big who can shoot, draft Quinten Post late. 9'4" standing reach, and 44% from 3. ACC all defensive team. Productive college player. Far more agile than Edey.

It's crazy just how big Edey is. Post has respectable size but Edey has 3 inches on his standing reach and over 8 inches on wingspan. Basically a 300 lb Mo Bamba. I think there was something weird going on with his combine athletic testing though cause Edey came out looking pretty good in basically every test for a man his size

Think Edey just looks like a guy who should be more of a plodder than he is, dude is massive no doubt.

I think if Edey is there at 23 the Bucks need to take a hard look at taking him to replace Brook then take a guard or wing at 33.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,649

Post#244 » by raferfenix » Wed May 15, 2024 12:37 pm

What do we think the likelihood is the Bucks keep both picks?

Seems like the team is reasonably high on Ajax and Green. Maybe MarJon gets another shot but some other team might value taking a flier on him more hoping a change of scenery unlocks things.

Bucks absolutely need young legs but we need them to be ready to play in the playoffs too.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#245 » by JayMKE » Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 pm

Bucks need to take as many swings as they can finding young players, maybe actually draft somebody with upside beyond fringe NBA roleplayer
FREE GIANNIS
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,086

Post#246 » by German Athens » Wed May 15, 2024 1:27 pm

12’ Club

Trevon Brazil 12’5.5”
Kel’el Ware 12’4.5”
Adem Bona 12’4”
Yves Missi 12’4”
Alexandre Sarr 12’3”
Jesse Edwards 12’2.5”
Zach Edey 12’2.5”
Jonathan Mogbo 12’2”
Izan Almansa 12’1”
Keshad Johnson 12’1”
Ulrich Chomche 12’0.5”
Donovan Clingan 12’
N’Faly Dante 12’
Oso Ighodaro 12’

This is the largest group I can remember in a draft. There’s a bunch of big guys who can jump, but also no real wings which is somewhat rare, too.
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#247 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:35 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I still love Dillon Jones where he's getting mocked. 6'11 wingspan, built like a fire hydrant, gets lots of deflections and steals. I think his defensive upside is being super underrated, and he's got an NBA-ready offensive game. Not the best distance shooter but he's an 85% guy from the line while getting there a ton (6.8 attempts per game). He can actually run your half-court offense in a pinch. Solid passer and pick & roll operator.

I still don't really know what to think of him. The production and metrics are obviously awesome and I tend to favor those types a lot, but the eye test is a bit alarming with him IMO. He's simply a very poor athlete and granted the spacing at Weber was a joke, but watching him play it's tough for me to really decide if I buy into his ability to create off the dribble against pro athletes. I really wish we got to see him play against some better competition. Maybe the combine scrimmages will help to that end.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
machu46
RealGM

Post#248 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:37 pm

raferfenix wrote:What do we think the likelihood is the Bucks keep both picks?

Seems like the team is reasonably high on Ajax and Green. Maybe MarJon gets another shot but some other team might value taking a flier on him more hoping a change of scenery unlocks things.

Bucks absolutely need young legs but we need them to be ready to play in the playoffs too.

@BucksFilmRoom or whatever his name is on Twitter basically said he thinks we go one out, one in, so basically, he thinks we will trade two of AJJ/AJ/MarJon/Pick 23/Pick 33. I would tend to think at minimum one of those 5 pieces will be moved.
machu46
RealGM

Post#249 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:51 pm

If anyone wants to kinda get a quick blurb about some of the top 65 prospects, this guy was always up there with Adam Spinella for my favorite draft guy on YouTube and with Spinella joining the 76ers, Hoop Intellect is now by far my #1 and he put out this big board a few weeks ago.

msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Post#250 » by msiris » Wed May 15, 2024 2:01 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
crkone wrote:

I think if Edey is there at 23 the Bucks need to take a hard look at taking him to replace Brook then take a guard or wing at 33.
There are a few options at the center that would fit. Ware is one I really like. I think Edey would be fine as well.
Ride the tank
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 4,813

Post#251 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 15, 2024 2:05 pm

machu46 wrote:
raferfenix wrote:What do we think the likelihood is the Bucks keep both picks?

@BucksFilmRoom or whatever his name is on Twitter basically said he thinks we go one out, one in, so basically, he thinks we will trade two of AJJ/AJ/MarJon/Pick 23/Pick 33. I would tend to think at minimum one of those 5 pieces will be moved.

I don't agree with his take at all. 2 of our young guys will be 3rd year players, and AJJ is already good. There doesn't need to be any limit on the number of young guys we have.

I think 23 will be traded, but I wouldn't be surprised if we buy a pick in round 2, likely from the Pacers at 50.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#252 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 pm

JayMKE wrote:
crkone wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

Edey is Boban. He'll have no impact in the NBA. No one runs a low block post offense any more, and NBA caliber bigs will have no problem defending Edey on the block.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#253 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 15, 2024 2:22 pm

I think we're gonna aggressively shop 23 and then probably keep 33 since 2nd-rounders don't have much of any actual trade value. So really just focusing on guys likely available in the early-2nd at this point. I'll be ecstatic with any of:

Carlton Carrington
Ulrich Chomche
Jaylon Tyson
Dillon Jones

One guy I'd really be interested to see more of in the scrimmages is Harrison Ingram. 7'0 wingspan, has some surprisingly impressive shot profile analytics (elite above-the-break catch and shoot guy this season), and awesome rebounder for his size. He projected as more of a perimeter ball-handling wing at Stanford, but has turned into a really solid glue guy. I'm always intrigued by tools-y prospects who project as one thing early, but are able to transform their game into a more supporting role. Worry is that he had an outlier shooting year as opposed to legitimate improvement (31% and 32% from 3 his previous two seasons).
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,642

Post#254 » by RogerMurdock » Wed May 15, 2024 2:25 pm

German Athens wrote:12’ Club

I drastically misread this at first.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#255 » by JayMKE » Wed May 15, 2024 2:26 pm

A lot of you guys also thought Walker Kessler was going to be a total bust and were having a meltdown about the thought of drafting him a few years ago, good thing we nabbed Beauchamp instead. Me thinks the death of the big man is overstated narrative especially when we had ultra-plodder Lopez on the roster for years being an impact player. Edey is a lot more athletic than Boban who had a max vert of like 23", I really think people are prejudicing his appearance which is like 50% of people's projection when it comes to prospects. Don't think he's Boban or Tacko Fall, two time national player of the year in the 2nd round would be a gamble worth taking especially if he can extend his range imo. His combine numbers are better than Brook's from 15 years ago.
FREE GIANNIS
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#256 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed May 15, 2024 2:33 pm

JayMKE wrote:A lot of you guys also thought Walker Kessler was going to be a total bust and were having a meltdown about the thought of drafting him a few years ago, good thing we nabbed Beauchamp instead. Me thinks the death of the big man is overstated narrative especially when we had ultra-plodder Lopez on the roster for years being an impact player. Edey is a lot more athletic than Boban who had a max vert of like 23", I really think people are prejudicing his appearance which is like 50% of people's projection when it comes to prospects. Don't think he's Boban or Tacko Fall, two time national player of the year in the 2nd round would be a gamble worth taking especially if he can extend his range imo. His combine numbers are better than Brook's from 15 years ago.

Problem is, I was one of the few that liked Kessler but still don't like Edey. Edey showed what he is in the national championship game when he finally had to face a full sized center.

Also, NBA refs won't protect him like they did in college. Edey's trainer prepared him well for the combine drills, but he's not that agile in real games.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#257 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 15, 2024 2:35 pm

machu46 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I still love Dillon Jones where he's getting mocked. 6'11 wingspan, built like a fire hydrant, gets lots of deflections and steals. I think his defensive upside is being super underrated, and he's got an NBA-ready offensive game. Not the best distance shooter but he's an 85% guy from the line while getting there a ton (6.8 attempts per game). He can actually run your half-court offense in a pinch. Solid passer and pick & roll operator.

I still don't really know what to think of him. The production and metrics are obviously awesome and I tend to favor those types a lot, but the eye test is a bit alarming with him IMO. He's simply a very poor athlete and granted the spacing at Weber was a joke, but watching him play it's tough for me to really decide if I buy into his ability to create off the dribble against pro athletes. I really wish we got to see him play against some better competition. Maybe the combine scrimmages will help to that end.

Just read the draft write ups of him and Lu Dort side-by-side and try not to see the similarities. Obviously not an exact comp (Dort the better athlete and Jones the better offensive player), but it's fun:

* Exceptional scorer, rebounder, and defender

* Plays with the physicality of a power forward despite his small forward build

* Remarkable strength and sturdy frame allow him to hold his ground against larger opponents

* Exceptional rebounding skills and relentless hustle on both ends of the court

* Efficient scorer from two-point and three-point range

* Good passer and facilitator from the perimeter

* Smart defensively, able to guard multiple positions and match up with top offensive opponents

*Rebounds well for position …

*Body is that of an NFL safety …

*Very good length to make up for lack of ideal shooting guard height …

*Very strong and powerful build, generally the strongest player on the floor … Above average defender who fights hard to deny his man open looks and driving lanes …

*Shows defensive versatility to defend multiple positions and moves very well laterally …

*Good anticipation to deflect passes and jump passing lanes …
machu46
RealGM

Post#258 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think we're gonna aggressively shop 23 and then probably keep 33 since 2nd-rounders don't have much of any actual trade value. So really just focusing on guys likely available in the early-2nd at this point. I'll be ecstatic with any of:

Carlton Carrington
Ulrich Chomche
Jaylon Tyson
Dillon Jones

One guy I'd really be interested to see more of in the scrimmages is Harrison Ingram. 7'0 wingspan, has some surprisingly impressive shot profile analytics (elite above-the-break catch and shoot guy this season), and awesome rebounder for his size. He projected as more of a perimeter ball-handling wing at Stanford, but has turned into a really solid glue guy. I'm always intrigued by tools-y prospects who project as one thing early, but are able to transform their game into a more supporting role. Worry is that he had an outlier shooting year as opposed to legitimate improvement (31% and 32% from 3 his previous two seasons).

Ingram is on my watch list too.

Also kinda keeping an eye on Jaylen Wells and Jamir Watkins as far as wings go. Wells is particularly tough to nail down because he was playing at the D2 level up until this season. His first year at D2, he shot just 26.3% on 95 three point attempts, but over the last two years (one at D2 and one at Washington State), he's hit 42.5% of his 273 attempts. Fairly comfortable shooting off the dribble and has a nice, quick release off the catch. Seems to be an okay defender though his steal and block %'s are very low. At 6'8" in shoes, he feels like he might be a decent replacement for the MarJon profile of a developmental 3 and D guy but with much more of the shooting profile and much less of the defense profile compared to when MarJon was in the draft.

Watkins feels like he probably ends up settling in as a good G-League player but he has enough of an all-around skillset for me to be kinda intrigued with our 2nd round pick. Seems to be a disruptive defender and pretty switchable, weird combination of having a kinda poor handle but much more creative ball-handler than you'd expect, some solid passing ability, and likes to post up as a 6'7" wing. Just kind of a weird skillset but he was really productive this season for an underwhelming Florida State team. He does not seem like a natural shooter unfortunately but he did hit 34.4% of his 96 three point attempts this season, which certainly isn't good but isn't atrocious either.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Post#259 » by msiris » Wed May 15, 2024 3:07 pm

Looks like an alpha guy to me. Will he be there at 33? We need more alpha guys.
Ride the tank
machu46
RealGM

Post#260 » by machu46 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:25 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
machu46 wrote:

Just read the draft write ups of him and Lu Dort side-by-side and try not to see the similarities. Obviously not an exact comp (Dort the better athlete and Jones the better offensive player), but it's fun:

* Exceptional scorer, rebounder, and defender

* Plays with the physicality of a power forward despite his small forward build

* Remarkable strength and sturdy frame allow him to hold his ground against larger opponents

* Exceptional rebounding skills and relentless hustle on both ends of the court

* Efficient scorer from two-point and three-point range

* Good passer and facilitator from the perimeter

* Smart defensively, able to guard multiple positions and match up with top offensive opponents

*Rebounds well for position …

*Body is that of an NFL safety …

*Very good length to make up for lack of ideal shooting guard height …

*Very strong and powerful build, generally the strongest player on the floor … Above average defender who fights hard to deny his man open looks and driving lanes …

*Shows defensive versatility to defend multiple positions and moves very well laterally …

*Good anticipation to deflect passes and jump passing lanes …

I don't really see the Dort comparison. I don't think there was any question Dort could defend in the NBA. Dillon, to me, does not project as a guy that can guard most guards/shorter wings. I kinda wonder if he's more a short but stout PF in the NBA; like a Grant Williams-type but with better on-ball skills offensively. I'm not totally out on him; it's just like I said...I struggle with what to think of him. He's an unusual player.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks