ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,729

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas 

Post#41 » by machu46 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:57 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:I love how people want to trade Bobby when he carries the team for an entire quarter every other game.

This is definitely true, but I think (1) he's one of the few guys we can reasonably move for a significant wing upgrade and (2) as Middleton's leash hopefully comes off, I think with staggered minutes we have 4 guys you can run the offense through (the obvious 2, Middleton, and Brook).

I think help on the wing defensively is probably more important than having a 5th scorer, particularly when Portis' scoring hasn't carried over very smoothly to the postseason.

I'd love to be in the position where we could just keep him, but I think he, Middleton, or Brook are going to have to go, and Bobby is probably the most replaceable of the 3.

Edit: It is admittedly really tough to picture trading these guys; they're all major parts of the team culture but in all likelihood, something's gotta give.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#42 » by crowhead76 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:58 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:FWIW I have Brooklyn and Sacramento as two teams that would/should value Bobby as a player asset. DFS is obviously the prize, but would I settle for Royce O'Neal, Trendon Watford, and a pick? Maybe...

Royce O'Neal originally built his reputation as a defender, but he's no longer an asset in that area. He's basically just a high percentage low volume shooter now.

He is like a slightly stronger Pat. If I remember correctly without looking it up, they have eerily similar numbers.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#43 » by BigO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:06 pm

crowhead76 wrote:So many of you talk in complete circles.

Turning Pat and Bobby contracts into above average defenders, one that can guard 1-4 (Thybulle) and one that can guard 2-5 (DFS) is what this team could really use to win a championship. The Bucks are all in and ownership could care less about how much Pat and Bobby are fan favorites, and for that matter Giannis and Dame both would value a championship over a player because they worked out together or because they played with them before. If this team could have somehow retained Holiday and traded Pat and Portis to acquire Dame, they would have most certainly made that move. They moved possibly their most important player outside Giannis to upgrade the team, what makes people think that they will not do the same now, especially since they have pushed all their chips into the middle.

Give me a closing lineup of Dame / Thybulle / Midds / DFS / Giannis

Also
3PM leaders in catch & shoot:

Lauri Markkanen - 45 (39.5%)
Max Strus - 39 (39%)
Stephen Curry - 39 (56.5%)
Dorian Finney-Smith - 36 (46.2%)
Sam Hauser - 36 (45%)
Jordan Hawkins - 34 (36.6%)
Tim Hardaway Jr. - 33 (37.5%)
Grayson Allen - 32 (50.8%)
Grant Williams - 30 (45.5%)
Jerami Grant - 30 (37%)
Malik Beasley - 30 (45.5%)

I'd trade Portis for the right package, which certainly doesn't include some of the ideas in this thread. Portis was chosen for the USA National team by the top coaches around. They value him much more than people on this Board.

P-S wouldn't be a bad addition (not straight up for Portis though), but if we're looking at strictly defense (including rebounding), I'd look at Looney from the Warriors, plus Payton. I just think the team has so many individual weak defenders that we have to add on a few.

My assumption is that Crowder will be back, otherwise Portis is hard to give up.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,215

Post#44 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:42 pm

Something a bit more creative. Nance Jr. isn't getting much run in New Orleans and they desperately need some bench scoring. You trade them Bobby for Nance and to remove the swap rights on our 2024 1st so it instantly becomes tradeable. Flip Pat, Marjon, and the 2024 1st for DFS.

Giannis/Dame/Middleton/Brook/DFS/Payne/Beasley/Crowder/Nance Jr.

Boom, there's your 8-9 man playoff rotation depending on matchups.
BigO
Analyst

Post#45 » by BigO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:04 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Something a bit more creative. Nance Jr. isn't getting much run in New Orleans and they desperately need some bench scoring. You trade them Bobby for Nance and to remove the swap rights on our 2024 1st so it instantly becomes tradeable. Flip Pat, Marjon, and the 2024 1st for DFS.

You sure like to overpay on these trades. Bobby for Nance straight up would be a huge overpay: no way-luckily the Bucks probably value Bobby as much as I do. Wouldn't mind Nance, just not at that price.

Pat, Marjon and a first for DFS? Holy cow is that an overpay.

I will give you credit for being creative. But creative isn't necessarily productive. Get me Looney and Payton. Boring, but productive.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,215

Post#46 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:13 pm

Call me a realist. You have to give Brooklyn a reason to want to part with DFS, not just throw a 2nd-rounder plus salary filler and expect them not to laugh and take a better offer from some other contender. Making a deal with our limited assets was always going to be a tough decision, but that's the price you have to stomach when you go all-in on a 2-year window. No idea what the Looney fascination is about. He doesn't fit this team in the slightest.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 877

Post#47 » by crowhead76 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:48 pm

BigO wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Something a bit more creative. Nance Jr. isn't getting much run in New Orleans and they desperately need some bench scoring. You trade them Bobby for Nance and to remove the swap rights on our 2024 1st so it instantly becomes tradeable. Flip Pat, Marjon, and the 2024 1st for DFS.

You sure like to overpay on these trades. Bobby for Nance straight up would be a huge overpay: no way-luckily the Bucks probably value Bobby as much as I do. Wouldn't mind Nance, just not at that price.

I will give you credit for being creative. But creative isn't necessarily productive. Get me Looney and Payton. Boring, but productive.

Every team has its weakness and strengths, which can alter the value of players that might be on the same tier.

DFS is a better and more impactful player than Pat and Marjon currently and is a higher tier player, you are overvaluing Bucks rotation players. If you want to see who teams value, just do a quick internet search as to coveted players in trade. I have never seen a desire to trade for Pat or Marjon.

DFS is a much better fit on the Bucks currently than Bobby. DFS also allows Giannis to spend less time defending on the perimeter, DFS provides more spacing on offense, DFS is a better shooter from deep, DFS can guard 2-5. DFS can play in any lineup. Bobby is a great player and has been valuable to this Bucks team, but that does not mean he is the best fit for winning another championship.

Also, Bobby is a back up PF, not C. He spent 81% of his time at PF last season and is playing the exact same 81% at PF this season. DFS has played 40% of his minutes at C this year, he offers much more positional versatility.
Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,414

Post#48 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:00 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
DFS is a much better fit on the Bucks currently than Bobby. DFS also allows Giannis to spend less time defending on the perimeter, DFS provides more spacing on offense, DFS is a better shooter from deep, DFS can guard 2-5. DFS can play in any lineup.

DFS makes $13.9, $14.9 and $15.3 over the next three years. Turns 31 in May.

Only trepidation, is he's exactly the type of player who hits a physical wall right about now. That said, by all indications he's a tremendous teammate, and very well liked. There would be zero chemistry issues.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,853

Post#49 » by TroyD92 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:07 pm

Who exactly are the teams that would want Bobby that aren't also contenders/fringe contenders?
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,791

Post#50 » by JayMKE » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:30 pm

Figure it out without moving Bobby, might have to aim lower. Someone like Torrey Craig could probably be had relatively cheaper, I'm sure there are other under the radar guys too. Emptying the cupboard would be a mistake right now IMO given what is available and our team in flux, I'm still thinking save our very limited assets for next year and just hope for the best this year.
FREE GIANNIS
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#51 » by Ruben Quevedo » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:37 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Call me a realist. You have to give Brooklyn a reason to want to part with DFS, not just throw a 2nd-rounder plus salary filler and expect them not to laugh and take a better offer from some other contender. Making a deal with our limited assets was always going to be a tough decision, but that's the price you have to stomach when you go all-in on a 2-year window. No idea what the Looney fascination is about. He doesn't fit this team in the slightest.

Looney is just a smart, selfless, tough player and you can never have enough of those. Does the dirty work on both ends, rebounds, can protect the rim and hold his own on switches, great feel for spacing on offense and good screener.

If Brook gets run off the court, he's a guy you can trust in crunch time.
Neuromancer56
Rookie
And1: 1,054

Post#52 » by Neuromancer56 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:44 pm

I don't think the Bucks are going to fire Griff anytime soon. In that case, I think someone needs to convince Griff and the Bucks front office to bring in a consultant to give him ideas on how to fix his broken defense. Ideally they could just give Bud $1mil to explain to Griff why his defense is broken and what he can do to fix it. Mainly he could show Griff strategies on how to cover up players weaknesses and play to their strengths, because Bud knows the players better than Griff does. Plus Bud has a track record of having Bucks ranked in the top defenses. Griff needs to swallow his pride or be shown the door.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,005

Post#53 » by soxperry » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:48 pm

We already traded Jrue. Once that happened, the only one safe is Thanasis. All the other role players can go. It hurts, but Bobby gotta go. Id move Pat too but idk what we get for him that makes us better. You get a good defender for Bobby, Jae comes back, and suddenly we got something to work with on D.
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by soxperry » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:52 pm

But lets be clear on something: this isnt like before we got Dame and everyone said we didnt have the assets but it happened anyway. The asset was Jrue. We dont have another Jrue laying around. Khris aint going anywhere. What we have is Bobby, Marjon, Portland 2nd, Andre (if they are stupid), and AJ and thats basically it.

We are not winning the Caruso sweepstakes with that.
BigO
Analyst

Post#55 » by BigO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:53 pm

crowhead76 wrote:
BigO wrote:

Every team has its weakness and strengths, which can alter the value of players that might be on the same tier.

DFS is a better and more impactful player than Pat and Marjon currently and is a higher tier player, you are overvaluing Bucks rotation players. If you want to see who teams value, just do a quick internet search as to coveted players in trade. I have never seen a desire to trade for Pat or Marjon.

DFS is a much better fit on the Bucks currently than Bobby. DFS also allows Giannis to spend less time defending on the perimeter, DFS provides more spacing on offense, DFS is a better shooter from deep, DFS can guard 2-5. DFS can play in any lineup. Bobby is a great player and has been valuable to this Bucks team, but that does not mean he is the best fit for winning another championship.

Also, Bobby is a back up PF, not C. He spent 81% of his time at PF last season and is playing the exact same 81% at PF this season. DFS has played 40% of his minutes at C this year, he offers much more positional versatility.

All good points. If the trade was PC and Marjon for DFS that would be fine. But adding a first, as is proposed, is an overpay.

I do like the versatility you propose. I'm just not sold on DFS as a great defender, but I am open to that idea. I know Payton and Looney are excellent and switchable defenders. Looney is only 27. Obviously DFS gives you some offense that the other two don't.
BigO
Analyst

Post#56 » by BigO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:55 pm

Ruben Quevedo wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Call me a realist. You have to give Brooklyn a reason to want to part with DFS, not just throw a 2nd-rounder plus salary filler and expect them not to laugh and take a better offer from some other contender. Making a deal with our limited assets was always going to be a tough decision, but that's the price you have to stomach when you go all-in on a 2-year window. No idea what the Looney fascination is about. He doesn't fit this team in the slightest.

Looney is just a smart, selfless, tough player and you can never have enough of those. Does the dirty work on both ends, rebounds, can protect the rim and hold his own on switches, great feel for spacing on offense and good screener.

If Brook gets run off the court, he's a guy you can trust in crunch time.

Couldn't have said it better. With Brook, you are limited in scheme. With Looney, you aren't.
BigO
Analyst

Post#57 » by BigO » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:57 pm

soxperry wrote:But lets be clear on something: this isnt like before we got Dame and everyone said we didnt have the assets but it happened anyway. The asset was Jrue. We dont have another Jrue laying around. Khris aint going anywhere. What we have is Bobby, Marjon, Portland 2nd, Andre (if they are stupid), and AJ and thats basically it.

I assume you left PC out is because you think he's untouchable, which he probably is. He shouldn't be.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#58 » by DingleJerry » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:01 pm

Looney's lack of shooting/spacing on O is a really tough fit though with Giannis. Of course there's an argument the rest of the O is so ridiculous it shouldn't matter and that you're only bringing him as backup so won't be expected to play a ton with Giannis.

Just saying there's probably other moves to explore first for a better fit/solution before coming back to him. Chances are our best closing lineups in playoffs will including Giannis as the 5 and Brook likely not out there. The trade we're talking about here should be looking to find someone who can play in that closing lineup in Brooks spot and vs the Bos wings. If you can't find that though, which I know isn't easy, I see how Looney could be useful. But, I'd probably just keep Bobby then unless more is coming back (in this scenario it would be Payton so I get that).
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by soxperry » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:08 pm

BigO wrote:
soxperry wrote:But lets be clear on something: this isnt like before we got Dame and everyone said we didnt have the assets but it happened anyway. The asset was Jrue. We dont have another Jrue laying around. Khris aint going anywhere. What we have is Bobby, Marjon, Portland 2nd, Andre (if they are stupid), and AJ and thats basically it.

I assume you left PC out is because you think he's untouchable, which he probably is. He shouldn't be.

Oh, no i talked about Pat in the previous post. I just dont think there is a Pat trade that makes us better. I also think we still need a guy like Pat, hes just being asked to do too much defensively right now

Now..if we need Pat's salary (with Bobby) to get us to a 20M+ level guy, okay then. But we need to be very careful about depth. Pat is a trusted playoff guy.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,414

Post#60 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:10 pm

DingleJerry wrote:Looney's lack of shooting/spacing on O is a really tough fit though with Giannis. Of course there's an argument the rest of the O is so ridiculous it shouldn't matter and that you're only bringing him as backup so won't be expected to play a ton with Giannis.

Just saying there's probably other moves to explore first for a better fit/solution before coming back to him. Chances are our best closing lineups in playoffs will including Giannis as the 5 and Brook likely not out there. The trade we're talking about here should be looking to find someone who can play in that closing lineup in Brooks spot and vs the Bos wings. If you can't find that though, which I know isn't easy, I see how Looney could be useful. But, I'd probably just keep Bobby then unless more is coming back (in this scenario it would be Payton so I get that).

This is why PJ was so perfect. He was Looney with three point range.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks